Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tubby is out at Minnesota  (Read 22398 times)

The Process

• All American
Re: Tubby is out at Minnesota
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2013, 02:20:57 PM »
Drinking is ALWAYS a legitimate excuse.

Absolutely.

And yet again, my name shows up whacked and all when I'm quoted.  Anyone got answers...? ?-(
Relax. Respect the Process.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2013, 02:21:39 PM »
This is an interesting opening. Big 10 vs NBE. While Minn is certainly not a better program than MU, the question is does Buzz want to compete in the NBE or the Big 10. Buzz has said very little about the NBE. This to me is much more probable than Buzz to UCLA.

Buzz to Northwestern?

MarquetteMAN

• Walk-On
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2013, 02:22:02 PM »
To be fair, everything was set up for this to be Tubby's year this year.  They massively under-performed.  

I agree. they were pretty stacked and just fell apart down the stretch.
You'll know when you are in trouble. You'll know when you've messed up, because you'll hear a chant of three words. We Are Marquette. And when you hear that...Pray.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2013, 02:25:12 PM »
And yet again, my name shows up whacked and all when I'm quoted.  Anyone got answers...? ?-(

giggle-captaint-giggle.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2013, 02:27:39 PM »
giggle-captaint-giggle.

Yeah, it's funny.  Just curious as to how it got set that way :P

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2013, 02:28:46 PM »

That is weird.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »

That I can't help you with. Sorry.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2013, 02:31:56 PM »
That is weird.

Yeah, I thought at first PTM was doing it manually when quoting me, but it's been every quote by every one the past couple weeks LOL.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2013, 03:05:31 PM »
Nice parting gift for Tubby.

Smith’s contract comes with a $2.5 million buyout — a number that jumped from $1.5 million after he signed an extension last summer shortly after Norwood Teague took over as Minnesota’s athletic director. He also gets $150,000 for making the round of 32 this year, a $250,000 retirement contribution and three months severance (base plus supplemental salary), which totals about $450,000. That’s a total of $3.35 million.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2013, 03:08:03 PM »

Smith’s contract comes with a $2.5 million buyout — a number that jumped from $1.5 million after he signed an extension last summer shortly after Norwood Teague took over as Minnesota’s athletic director. He also gets $150,000 for making the round of 32 this year, a $250,000 retirement contribution and three months severance (base plus supplemental salary), which totals about $450,000. That’s a total of $3.35 million.

Sounds like a retirement package to me.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2013, 03:17:23 PM »

Too bad you and I will have to pay for that.  JayBee too.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2013, 03:30:31 PM »
You what's pathetic??? None of us are allowed to enjoy this run, because...once again...these ugly coaching rumors are starting up.

I'm REALLY beginning to dislike college sports.

Interesting. I'm enjoying this run immensely.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2013, 03:31:16 PM »
I would be extremely surprised if Buzz left for Minnesota.  There are certain teams in conferences that are a kiss of death for coaches because they can't compete with the high end teams.  Minnesota is one of them.  As it relates to the Big Ten there are only a few teams which are good jobs which are Michigan, MSU, Indiana, and Illinois.  The others are very challenging to compete so why leave a good job for a mediocre job even if they pay you good money.  How many good coaches have gone to middle of the pack teams in XYZ conference only to be the next flop.  

I would say MU is a top 25 job.  You don't leave that unless you find a top 10 job.  Minnesota is not a Top 25 job.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2013, 03:40:49 PM »
Can all of you tinfoilers just step back, away from the edge and put on your "I'm a reasoned fan" hat for just one split effing second. Once you do that, ask yourselves a question regarding any of these rumors.

Why would Buzz go to ANY of these jobs based on his job here at MU, how much he's paid, how much he loves the kids, etc.? And if your answer is the money, well, he's paid a ton here?

And if you still say "the money", go back and watch the scene from The Fugitive when Tommy Lee Jones is asking the Chicago police why Kimble killed his wife.

"She was rich"
Jones - "So was he!"
"She was MORE rich!"

That's basically all this effing story/debacle/thread ultimately becomes. It's a joke.  (and yet, here I am on page four of this lunatic-fringe....so....)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2013, 03:49:06 PM »
Can all of you tinfoilers just step back, away from the edge and put on your "I'm a reasoned fan" hat for just one split effing second. Once you do that, ask yourselves a question regarding any of these rumors.

Why would Buzz go to ANY of these jobs based on his job here at MU, how much he's paid, how much he loves the kids, etc.? And if your answer is the money, well, he's paid a ton here?

And if you still say "the money", go back and watch the scene from The Fugitive when Tommy Lee Jones is asking the Chicago police why Kimble killed his wife.

"She was rich"
Jones - "So was he!"
"She was MORE rich!"

That's basically all this effing story/debacle/thread ultimately becomes. It's a joke.  (and yet, here I am on page four of this lunatic-fringe....so....)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2013, 03:50:25 PM »
I would say MU is a top 25 job.  You don't leave that unless you find a top 10 job.  Minnesota is not a Top 25 job.

Or in Buzz-speak 'a good job' that he's well on the way to making into 'a great job' through his own 'momentum'.  That's the part that's lost on some.  His calling in life is to make men out of boys via the teaching tool that basketball provides him, not move one rung up any perceived ladder at a time in KO fashion.  And I suspect that while flattered, this all gets a tad annoying to him after awhile.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2013, 04:03:42 PM »
Minny is a step down from MU and would be a step in the wrong direction if Buzz is trying to get to the top. If we make a F4 run, this year or next, and Buzz starts to get a 5 star or two then he shouldn't be going anywhere.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2013, 04:20:30 PM »

Let's start with your premise that it not about money.  

Aside from money, consider the following posible reasons:

1.  Because you feel its a huge challenge and you like taking on huge challenges
2.  Because you feel you can't reach the next level in your current job
3.  Because you feel you'll never get the same industry-wide recognition in your current job as you might if successful in the new one.

I'm not saying that any of these apply specifically to Buzz himself right now--but if one were to take off the blue-and-gold glasses, each of these could be a plausible reason why a coach in Buzz's position MIGHT consider the UCLA job.  

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2013, 05:41:37 PM »
Yeah, I thought at first PTM was doing it manually when quoting me, but it's been every quote by every one the past couple weeks LOL.

It's because your name has a-i-n-a in it.  That is changed to "aina" when you post, or in this case, quote you.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2013, 06:03:32 PM »
Sorry I call bullcrap   Minnesota????  are you freaking crazy?  Why would Buzz go there?  this is just crazy.  I think in the end like any other coach Buzz doesn't mind all of these offseason rumors and am willing to bet he uses this all to get another new contract deal.

I find even the suggestion that Minnesota is a better job than Marquette insulting.
We Are Marquette

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2013, 06:21:31 PM »

That's why I never cry for coaches who are fired. They all get a lovely parting gift.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2013, 06:45:04 PM »

If Buzz goes to Minnesota, it means he was very, very unhappy at MU.  

If Buzz does in fact want out of MU, he can do far better than Minnesota this off season.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2013, 07:18:41 PM »

If he does want out, this will be the year. I think we all can agree that UCLA and even Minn are better jobs than SMU. He sniffed last year. Maybe that was a little posturing, who knows. If things have not improved, I would be hard pressed to believe he stays. The longer both jobs remain open the more concerned I would be if I were LW because he is going to get a ration and a half of sh## if Buzz bolts. If they have mended fences, then we all have nothing to worry about.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2013, 07:38:34 PM »
Mbakwe just got another year of eligibility

Watched his final collegiate game yesterday.   What a waste.   Imagine if this kid stayed with McNeal, D James, Wes, and Lazar.    Damn..

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2013, 09:28:07 PM »
Hes not going to Minnesota and why does Hunt have 4 blogs up already about Buzz possibly leaving.
Do some deep background on the SS game coming up like capsules on the players and match-ups.
Minnesota is insulting and has nowhere near the tradition and history we have.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:30:45 PM by Blueprint »

feedback