[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tubby is out at Minnesota  (Read 22383 times)

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
Re: Tubby is out at Minnesota
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 12:14:58 PM »
Or maybe not: Dan Barreiro ‏@DanBarreiroKFAN If there is indeed already a verbal agreement in place for replacement, it is NOT Flip Saunders

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 12:16:55 PM »
I've always found Parrish and Goodman's comments on the LW rift interesting.  Buzz could easily give those guys a call or hell even text them to knock it off with the AD problems storyline.  He could put that whole narrative to bed real fast.

The narrative is message board banter only. GP and JG have to put Buzz's name down and always will regardless of what Buzz says.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 12:17:32 PM »

If Buzz goes to Minnesota, it means he was very, very unhappy at MU.  

Perhap, or he is not thrilled with NBE. I know folks here will go nuts about how much the B 10 sucks, but it is a higher profile conference, like it or not. Never know what motivates someone.

I find it curious his name keeps popping up. Some of this is drivel, but he is friendly with a couple of the guys and he could easily stop the name drop by sending a text saying knock it off.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 12:19:14 PM »
Wait...these people *want* Flip Saunders coaching up there???  What?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 12:20:19 PM »
Obviously everything is just a rumor right now, but sources are saying that an unnamed coach has already verbally accepted the Gophers job. Which means almost definitely not Buzz. My money is on Flip Saunders.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?45538-Tubby-is-out-who-will-be-the-next-coach&s=11b2fe9082ce73428a34b2f83bbbeadc

A Shaka shocker?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 12:20:32 PM »
Perhap, or he is not thrilled with NBE. I know folks here will go nuts about how much the B 10 sucks, but it is a higher profile conference, like it or not.

I don't think the conference affiliation matters much.  I mean, why should it?  If MU can pay the $$, provide the resources for support, attract the recruits, etc. it is arguably a better overall job than Minnesota.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 12:21:58 PM »

Agree. He has very little to gain by publicly addressing the rumors.
On the other hand, if he is tight with Goodman, et al. - and for all I know he isn't - he could probably tell these guys off the record to knock it off if he wanted.
But there's a benefit, whether he wants out or not, to having his name out there.

Very little to gain through addressing rumors is absolutely right. He probably has more to lose than any potential gain.

Think of it this way. If he addresses one rumor, he must address them all. Issuing a public denial of one rumor and not another would be seen by many to legitimize the unaddressed rumor. Given the frequency with which his name surfaces for these openings, he simply cannot specifically address any of them.

In addition, making a public statement saying that he is not going anywhere eliminates a lot of leverage he would have to get a longer or more lucrative contract. It also sets him up to appear dishonest if he were to go somewhere else.

Simply my own opinion, but I would be floored if Buzz left for either the UCLA or especially the.Minnesota jobs.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 12:23:09 PM »
The narrative is message board banter only. GP and JG have to put Buzz's name down and always will regardless of what Buzz says.

Those two have used Larry Williams as a reason Buzz would leave MU multiple times.  Most recently in the article yesterday.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 12:24:29 PM »

I don't think the conference affiliation matters much.  I mean, why should it?  If MU can pay the $$, provide the resources for support, attract the recruits, etc. it is arguably a better overall job than Minnesota.

Agree/disagree. Purely from a coach standpoint, I don't think it matters.

I do think it matters to recruits, and selling recruits something that's not the best could alter a coach's standpoint.

However, twitter tracker
Duane Wilson ‏@Real_DWilson1 22 Mar
I like Creighton. That was a great addition to our new conference. I can't wait for the New Big East. #Catholic10

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2013, 12:25:25 PM »

For right now, yes.

But, given the ever-changing landscape, any B10 job might be better than a NBE job in a handful of years.

I don't think that is going to happen... but football $ is so insane right now, I don't know WTF is going to happen.

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2013, 12:26:02 PM »
Little do you all know, Buzz is actually going to coach both UCLA and Minnesota next year. I know it's true, Michael Hunt told me.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 12:26:42 PM »
Those two have used Larry Williams as a reason Buzz would leave MU multiple times.  Most recently in the article yesterday.

If Buzz comes out after the NCAA tournament and says "I'm here as long as they'll have me" again, his name will still get floated come Spring of 2014.

The writers have to include names, and they have to include the good, young coaches.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2013, 12:27:02 PM »

Something being repeated multiple times does not necessarily make it fact. Keep this in mind when reading rumors from national sources.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2013, 12:29:31 PM »
Wait...these people *want* Flip Saunders coaching up there???  What?

In coaching circles, Flip is considered to be an offensive genius. And, he's the best coach in TWolves history.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:31:06 PM by RJax55 »

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2013, 12:30:11 PM »
Sorry I call bullcrap   Minnesota????  are you freaking crazy?  Why would Buzz go there?  this is just crazy.  I think in the end like any other coach Buzz doesn't mind all of these offseason rumors and am willing to bet he uses this all to get another new contract deal.

Almost as crazy as leaving Kentucky for Minnesota.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2013, 12:31:13 PM »

Buzz isn't beating wolves to the door like Smith was.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2013, 12:32:50 PM »
If Buzz comes out after the NCAA tournament and says "I'm here as long as they'll have me" again, his name will still get floated come Spring of 2014.

The writers have to include names, and they have to include the good, young coaches.

True.
But if Goodman were to receive a text from Buzz saying "stop mentioning me as a UCLA candidate. I'm not interested," then his name would no longer be floated. That apparently hasn't happened.

FWIW, I'm not suggesting Buzz is under any obligation to send such a text, even if he weren't interested. There's a lot to be gained for him by having his name out there. But as a fan, it's annoying as heck to go through this every year.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2013, 12:33:27 PM »
Something being repeated multiple times does not necessarily make it fact. Keep this in mind when reading rumors from national sources.

I'm not saying whether or not it's true, I'm just saying that Buzz could easily have those guys drop the notion that he is unhappy with his AD.  Then again, maybe he doesn't want them to. That's why I find it interesting.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2013, 12:33:45 PM »
If you believe Buzz's situation here and Tubby's situation at the end of his UK tenure are analogous, then I have some land I would like to sell you.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2013, 12:34:03 PM »
Buzz isn't beating wolves to the door like Smith was.

Yep. That was a George Costanza preemptive break up.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2013, 12:39:32 PM »
Yea, I might have brought that up last season as well.

I don't really have a good answer.

Personally, I never critiqued TC for it, and I won't critique Buzz for it either. I figure that's just the way it goes.

It would be very cool for Buzz to come out and put the "rumors" to rest, but I don't expect him to address every rumor that comes up. He's got bigger fish to fry.

I'll say the same thing when it came up regarding Crean--it's the sports writers job to speculate on who's going to fill an opening.  When you're successful (as Crean was and Buzz is), their names will be mentioned with any high profile opening.

Buzz isn't setting anyone up to make these statements, and no matter how many denials he issues, he can't stop them, either.  

More troubling than the rumors themselves is the fact that at least some in the sports media currently view a mid-tier Big Ten program as a step up from one of the two best teams in the new Big East.  

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2013, 12:43:31 PM »
I couldn't see Buzz at UCLA or Minnesota.

Shaka at Minnesota? Sure. HERE's why.

Tubby's time at Minnesota has been brutal. Beating a broken UCLA team didn't do anything to help his cause - it's been six years of disappointment and ... issues.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2013, 12:49:50 PM »
More troubling than the rumors themselves is the fact that at least some in the sports media currently view a mid-tier Big Ten program as a step up from one of the two best teams in the new Big East.  

I sort of agree... but there are a lot of media members who are idiots when it comes to this stuff.

Several media members last year had no idea that Buzz made so much money at MU. They thought OK would just come in and buy him out. They seemed shocked at how much MU actually pays him.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2013, 12:50:39 PM »
Perhap, or he is not thrilled with NBE. I know folks here will go nuts about how much the B 10 sucks, but it is a higher profile conference, like it or not. Never know what motivates someone.

I find it curious his name keeps popping up. Some of this is drivel, but he is friendly with a couple of the guys and he could easily stop the name drop by sending a text saying knock it off.
A coach who has success at MU will always have his name brought up with the next big job.

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2013, 12:54:09 PM »
A coach who has success at MU will always have his name brought up with the next big job.

Not always...

If a coach stays long enough and turns enough jobs down.  IE Mark Few, it will change.  But it will take time.