'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: when will buzz learn  (Read 8108 times)

muPARTY

• Starter
when will buzz learn
« on: March 22, 2009, 06:16:59 PM »
to play to win rather than not to lose?!?!

same crap.  get the lead being aggressive, then change up to prevent.  that man never learns

AlienWarrior

• All American
Re: when will buzz learn
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 06:28:49 PM »
Another learn as you go coach

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 06:38:25 PM »
you're an idiot

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 06:40:59 PM »
I may be an idiot ,but look at the experience of most of the coaches in the Sweet 16

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 06:44:23 PM »
you are an iddiot, if you are referring to the play where Butler took the three we were trying to get the ball to jerel or wesley and could not maybe the other team had one hell of a stop as opposed to blaming it on "the stupid coach"  you sir a re an idot.  the announcers were even referring to the defense played by tiller and in fact the referree called a foul on the guy the next time.  Give it a rest, how about the job the "stupid coach" did getting this team back in a game against a team that has run teams out all year long with basiclly 6 players. 

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 06:45:04 PM »
it definitely seems like we play differently once we get the lead. i don't get why you would change anything after doing so well for the rest of the half. dont change it if it works!

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 06:47:16 PM »
you are an iddiot, if you are referring to the play where Butler took the three we were trying to get the ball to jerel or wesley and could not maybe the other team had one hell of a stop as opposed to blaming it on "the stupid coach"  you sir a re an idot.  the announcers were even referring to the defense played by tiller and in fact the referree called a foul on the guy the next time.  Give it a rest, how about the job the "stupid coach" did getting this team back in a game against a team that has run teams out all year long with basiclly 6 players. 

it's obviously not a reference to one play. read the post again. it has been the same all year.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 06:48:25 PM »
What happened was that Missouri stopped full court pressuring us and forced us to play half court offense.  It was nothing that Buzz did or didn't do.  They were denying McNeal and Matthews and doing a good job of it.  With about 10 to go on the shot clock Butler had a lane to the hoop but didn't take it.  Sometimes the others guys come up bigger.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 06:49:40 PM »
Buzz gets no credit for his halftime adjustments to come back from a 16 point deficit?

Let Buzz coach the team and we'll let you incorrectly analyze the game with idiotic comments.

MUBB7703

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 06:50:11 PM »
Please explain how you think we changed the way we were playing.  If anything, we tried to open the floor even more so that we could continue to take advantage of what was working.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 06:50:30 PM »
I agree as it pertains to Syracuse and Villanova, but frankly, I didn't see it today. Today they did what I have always screamed for...just play. I don't think they changed a thing when they had the lead.

Warrior1

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 06:54:33 PM »
I can not take this board anymore because of posts like this. I do not understand why people have this extreme fetish of trying to make Buzz look bad. The man can do nothing right apparently. He made half time adjustments that were fantastic give it up! No one wants to hear it, especially after a loss like this. It seems people don't even watch the games except to see things they disagrees with.

Can we make a new board where Buzz bashers can have their time and the rest of us can have peace. Every game there is something and I can't take it anymore!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 06:57:02 PM »
I can not take this board anymore because of posts like this. I do not understand why people have this extreme fetish of trying to make Buzz look bad. The man can do nothing right apparently. He made half time adjustments that were fantastic give it up! No one wants to hear it, especially after a loss like this. It seems people don't even watch the games except to see things they disagrees with.

Can we make a new board where Buzz bashers can have their time and the rest of us can have peace. Every game there is something and I can't take it anymore!

+1,000,000

The problem is too many people here do not understand the game of basketball ... like the posters in this thread.

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 06:58:12 PM »
to play to win rather than not to lose?!?!

same crap.  get the lead being aggressive, then change up to prevent.  that man never learns

i posted in the chat, if you watched both teams, Mizzou moved without the ball, Marquette didn't.  they get the lane filled and prevented easy layups.

but i posted the clock thing with a couple min to go, and again MU loses.  'Nova (BET) and the 'Cuse game come to mind of the most recent.  i can't fatom why you move and cut to fight back, then decide to saunter up the court once you get a 1 or 2 point lead.  because a top Big XII team, Big XII tournament champs, and #3 seed can't come back frmo being 4 points down in 2:30min.  it was amatuer hour with Buzz again slowing down the tempo.  eat clock that's fine, but do it being aggressive and working for it.  don't but four around the perimeter and simple move that ball that way.

i know i'm going to get eaten alive for this, but i'd love to see him stay... as the top assistant.  his stat game is great for that role, but in game management has A LOT to be desired.

redbirdwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 06:58:39 PM »
Knock off all of the pejorative crap, for Godsakes.  Some may feel Buzz coached great from behind to blow it in the end.  Some may think all was great and we just lost.  It is intellectually weak to just start calling people "idiots" if you disagree with them.  I believe we got jobbed a little by the refs, let down after a great comeback, and had some braincramps.  Mizzou had a lot to do with it as well.  Great game, icky ending.  We are all smarter than simply relying on the name calling.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 07:00:19 PM »

I'm actually shocked Buzz is not getting blasted for Hayward stepping over the line.  I thought for sure there would be some posters on here screaming that Buzz should have some how known that was going to happen and that he should have called a timeout.

Unfortunately he only gets blasted on this board and never gets any credit for anything.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 07:01:29 PM »
This topic makes so much sense because it was Buzz that missed a free throw with 30 seconds left and it was Buzz that failed to defend a ball screen with 5 seconds left and clearly Buzz drew up a play where we step over the end line trying to inbound that ball.

I am in not blaming the players, but c'mon this loss was not about Buzz's strategy.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
i posted in the chat, if you watched both teams, Mizzou moved without the ball, Marquette didn't.  they get the lane filled and prevented easy layups.

but i posted the clock thing with a couple min to go, and again MU loses.  'Nova (BET) and the 'Cuse game come to mind of the most recent.  i can't fatom why you move and cut to fight back, then decide to saunter up the court once you get a 1 or 2 point lead.  because a top Big XII team, Big XII tournament champs, and #3 seed can't come back frmo being 4 points down in 2:30min.  it was amatuer hour with Buzz again slowing down the tempo.  eat clock that's fine, but do it being aggressive and working for it.  don't but four around the perimeter and simple move that ball that way.

i know i'm going to get eaten alive for this, but i'd love to see him stay... as the top assistant.  his stat game is great for that role, but in game management has A LOT to be desired.

And yet time and time again all coaches do the same thing.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 07:04:16 PM »
Knock off all of the pejorative crap, for Godsakes.  Some may feel Buzz coached great from behind to blow it in the end.  Some may think all was great and we just lost.  It is intellectually weak to just start calling people "idiots" if you disagree with them.  I believe we got jobbed a little by the refs, let down after a great comeback, and had some braincramps.  Mizzou had a lot to do with it as well.  Great game, icky ending.  We are all smarter than simply relying on the name calling.

Thank you! No one is ever right or wrong on all these hypothetical calls. It's easy to say what could have or should have happened in a game like this one, but in the end nothing changes. too bad for a kid like Lazar to have to end such a good season on a play like that

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 07:07:18 PM »
I'm actually shocked Buzz is not getting blasted for Hayward stepping over the line.  I thought for sure there would be some posters on here screaming that Buzz should have some how known that was going to happen and that he should have called a timeout.

Unfortunately he only gets blasted on this board and never gets any credit for anything.

There are maybe 5 posters on this board that ever say anything non-complimentary toward Buzz. The huge majority loves Buzz regardless of outcomes or gameplans. To say he only gets blasted is a ridiculous exaggeration.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
you are an iddiot

Really, is there anything more to say.  Classic Hayward....I'll bet you meant to do that, too.   :-X

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 07:15:35 PM »
yeah, coaches with a team that can play a slow style of ball, with primary perimeter threats and/or an actual post player.  

but no one argues that (especially) against Syracuse and Villanova (add in today) the posession after they gained the lead, their style changed.  and it didn't happen with 15sec left, but it happens with 1 min, 2 min left and a lead that is a possesion or two.  against top teams that are MORE then capable of coming back.  why stop what's working?  and stop it with that much time left in a game.

he did a great job at halftime.  he really did.  got them playing Marquette basketball, MOVING, DRIVING, KICKING THE BALL OUT, ATTACKING THE RIM.  where was that when they got the lead?  it's called off to play it safe and how has that worked out in the past???  0-3 in their last 5 games.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 07:16:42 PM »

He ONLY gets blasted on this board and NEVER.....I hate posts that are absolutes like that.

I do know if Crean was still coaching and Hayward did that, well it would be because of poor coaching.  But the reality is, it's not on the coach, Hayward just did it.  Too bad, great kid and great player.  I look forward to him playing again next year.  We wouldn't even have been in this game if it weren't for him on Friday and during the season. Unfortunate it had to happen to him.

I thought Buzz did a great job at halftime, I thought the first half we played with the idea of running with these guys which was dumb.  I do put that on the coach, but I also think the halftime adjustments are credit to him.    Isn't that balanced criticism and praise?   Or am I a hater again?   ::)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 07:18:16 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 07:17:34 PM »
everyone is posting really quickly here... hard to keep up

bma725

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 07:30:13 PM »
yeah, coaches with a team that can play a slow style of ball, with primary perimeter threats and/or an actual post player. 

but no one argues that (especially) against Syracuse and Villanova (add in today) the posession after they gained the lead, their style changed.  and it didn't happen with 15sec left, but it happens with 1 min, 2 min left and a lead that is a possesion or two.  against top teams that are MORE then capable of coming back.  why stop what's working?  and stop it with that much time left in a game.

he did a great job at halftime.  he really did.  got them playing Marquette basketball, MOVING, DRIVING, KICKING THE BALL OUT, ATTACKING THE RIM.  where was that when they got the lead?  it's called off to play it safe and how has that worked out in the past???  0-3 in their last 5 games.

The problem is that you make it seem as if any decision happens independent of the decisions that Mizzou's coach made.  They switched to denying McNeal and Matthews the ball, and they did a damn good job of it.  With the defense like that, driving and kicking is nearly impossible because you don't have guys that can do it.