[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette fires Scott Monarch. Suspends HC Buzz Williams for one League game  (Read 87191 times)

96warrior

• Team Captain
Since this is considered a secondary violation, it does make me wonder what would happen if a more serious violation were to occur. Monarch's transgression = his firing, one game suspension of Buzz, loss of recruit visits

Again, the firing wasn't about the "secondary violation". It's about the fact that Monarch continued to lie about it and cover it up, rather than take one on the chin and owning up to it. The "transgression" for which Monarch ultimately was fired is the lying, which is not secondary or minor. It is a fireable offense and that's what happened. It's been stated, by LW himself, that had it really just been about the t-shirt and the transportation, Monarch probably would still be an assistant coach for the Marquette Men's Basketball team.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Next Friday expect the announcement of the recruit's punishment.

I don't see the recruit getting punished.  Think about it, if Monarch was caught in a lie, somebody had to be telling what really happened.  Do you punish Monarch for lying, and then punish the recruit for telling the truth?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

96warrior

• Team Captain
I don't see the recruit getting punished.  Think about it, if Monarch was caught in a lie, somebody had to be telling what really happened.  Do you punish Monarch for lying, and then punish the recruit for telling the truth?

There is still a reruiting violation to atone for, though. Juan Anderson got suspended for something similar last year, I would not doubt this year's recruit faces a commensurate punishment. Monarch was fired for lying. If he had owned up to it at the outset, he probably would not have been fired but he would have had some sort of punishment - suspension from recruiting trips, sitting out a few games, etc.

Pakuni

• All American
The most feared phrase in NCAA member athletic departments is "lack of institutional control."
Having a coach tell multiple lies regarding rules infractions - regardless of their severity - and then allowing that coach to get away with it screams "lack of institutional control." It screams "the tail wags the dog."
Unfortunately for Monarch, his dismissal was necessary on several levels.

FWIW, this could arguably lessen the chances of Buzz leaving after next year. Given what happened to Indiana after hiring Sampson and the way the NCAA came down on Penn State, coaches who've had NCAA issues may not be in such high demand. We mocked the Chicago Sun-Times in the spring when they reported Illinois wasn't interested in Buzz because of disciplinary problems, but maybe there was something to that. I'm sure Buzz would land a job if he chooses to leave MU, but clearly there's some stuff out there that would give programs a reason for pause.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:31:51 AM by Pakuni »

romey

• All American
There is still a reruiting violation to atone for, though. Juan Anderson got suspended for something similar last year, I would not doubt this year's recruit faces a commensurate punishment. Monarch was fired for lying. If he had owned up to it at the outset, he probably would not have been fired but he would have had some sort of punishment - suspension from recruiting trips, sitting out a few games, etc.

But not if the recruit doesn't sign with us.

4everwarriors

• All American
Recruited athletes know the rules as well. So, expect the recruit to be identified and reprimanded. Posters are rippin' Larry. But, he's just the messenger. This entire fiasco speaks more to the philosophy of the athletic department and how it relates to the mission of the university. Rican nailed it. We're a solid (albeit middle of the road) university whose identity, it has been decided, should lie more with scholars and the mission of righting the world's wrongs, and not with sports. To elevate needs more than a $300 million endowment. This is not Duke, ND, Georgetown, or Stanford where you can have it all. I think the line is becoming clearly drawn in the sand. Buzz can either follow in lockstep or leave. Expect a coaching change when the next great job comes a callin'.

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MattyWarrior

• All American
This whole offseason is a fiasco, Probably Buzzs last year here..

Lighthouse 84

• All American
It's like Bill Clinton.  He wasn't going to get impeached for getting a hummer in the oval office from Monica. It's the lie and cover up.

MU had no choice but to fire monarch.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

real chili 83

• All American
Monarch was fired because, once again, the cover up is worse than the crime.     I can live with that.    So far, Larry Williams reminds me of John Larroquette in 'Stripes'.    Not the kind of AD I want.   Not someone I would want to share a foxhole with.   Anybody who has to make grandiose gestures to show that he is the boss is not much of a leader. 

+1. My point all along. 

NersEllenson

• All American
The most feared phrase in NCAA member athletic departments is "lack of institutional control."
Having a coach tell multiple lies regarding rules infractions - regardless of their severity - and then allowing that coach to get away with it screams "lack of institutional control." It screams "the tail wags the dog."
Unfortunately for Monarch, his dismissal was necessary on several levels.

FWIW, this could arguably lessen the chances of Buzz leaving after next year. Given what happened to Indiana after hiring Sampson and the way the NCAA came down on Penn State, coaches who've had NCAA issues may not be in such high demand. We mocked the Chicago Sun-Times in the spring when they reported Illinois wasn't interested in Buzz because of disciplinary problems, but maybe there was something to that. I'm sure Buzz would land a job if he chooses to leave MU, but clearly there's some stuff out there that would give programs a reason for pause.

Jump to conclusions much?  And you really exhibit your ignorance here by even raising the possibility that some programs out there would have pause with bringing Buzz in as their head coach.  We'll see next off season just how many teams are rumored to be after Buzz - I suspect it will be an all time high, as clearly many programs now know things are definitely all good with Buzz at MU.  He's ripe for the picking.  And all due to chicken little crap blown WAY out of proportion.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
Jump to conclusions much?  And you really exhibit your ignorance here by even raising the possibility that some programs out there would have pause with bringing Buzz in as their head coach.  We'll see next off season just how many teams are rumored to be after Buzz - I suspect it will be an all time high, as clearly many programs now know things are definitely all good with Buzz at MU.  He's ripe for the picking.  And all due to chicken little crap blown WAY out of proportion.

Tell me you didn't just start a post with "Jump to conclusions much?" and then spend the rest of the post jumping to conclusions.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
Honestly I believe anyone that thinks all is well in Buzz/admin relationship is living in fantasy island.

I don't have any problem with you believing that. I have a problem with calling it factual.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Recruited athletes know the rules as well. So, expect the recruit to be identified and reprimanded. Posters are rippin' Larry. But, he's just the messenger. This entire fiasco speaks more to the philosophy of the athletic department and how it relates to the mission of the university. Rican nailed it. We're a solid (albeit middle of the road) university whose identity, it has been decided, should lie more with scholars and the mission of righting the world's wrongs, and not with sports. To elevate needs more than a $300 million endowment. This is not Duke, ND, Georgetown, or Stanford where you can have it all. I think the line is becoming clearly drawn in the sand. Buzz can either follow in lockstep or leave. Expect a coaching change when the next great job comes a callin'.

If you are right, I don't see that entirely as a negative.

Basketball is a fantastic revenue and marketing tool for MU. However, success in basketball cannot be a primary mission for MU. If/when it ever is, then decisions get made based upon if it helps the program vs. is it the right thing to do.

I don't have any inside knowledge of this specific situation, but philosophically, I'm fine with the Admin. being concerned more with "right" than they are with wins.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
If you are right, I don't see that entirely as a negative.

Basketball is a fantastic revenue and marketing tool for MU. However, success in basketball cannot be a primary mission for MU. If/when it ever is, then decisions get made based upon if it helps the program vs. is it the right thing to do.

I don't have any inside knowledge of this specific situation, but philosophically, I'm fine with the Admin. being concerned more with "right" than they are with wins.

Best post in this thread. We are fooling ourselves if we think for even one second this board knows better than the athletics department, office of the president and board of directors.

NersEllenson

• All American
Tell me you didn't just start a post with "Jump to conclusions much?" and then spend the rest of the post jumping to conclusions.

Good point, though I'm pretty sure the conclusions I've drawn will be far more likely to become a reality than those put forth by Pakuni.  To suggest Buzz won't be highly coveted by other schools due to these minor issues is ridiculous.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
This entire board expects a coaching change after every season.  Don't think that's ever going to change. 

MtAiryGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
    • MU Fanatic
Personally, I am fine with the firing of Monarch and suspending Buzz for one game; they broke the rules and got caught.

As a result (and best case scenario), Buzz replaces Monarch with a better assistant coach.

If Buzz decides he no longer likes the culture established by MU under LW and decides to move on after this season, God bless him and I'll wish him well.

In addition, I'll thank him for keeping MU basketball competitive.

In the end, MU and its basketball team will continue to exist and I will continue to support the institution and its teams.

real chili 83

• All American
Personally, I am fine with the firing of Monarch and suspending Buzz for one game; they broke the rules and got caught.

As a result (and best case scenario), Buzz replaces Monarch with a better assistant coach.

If Buzz decides he no longer likes the culture established by MU under LW and decides to move on after this season, God bless him and I'll wish him well.

In addition, I'll thank him for keeping MU basketball competitive.

It wasn't "they", it was Monarch.  HUGE difference.

In the end, MU and its basketball team will continue to exist and I will continue to support the institution and its teams.

cheebs09

• All American
Didn't Izzo get suspended a game due to a minor violation in the Dawson recruitment? Did he commit the violation resulting in the suspension and that's how it would be different? Also, didn't Calhoun have a suspension for major violations, but his suspension kicked in during the Big East season. Maybe there's a rule or precedent.

It's not like our first game this year is a walk-over. It's the Ohio State carrier game. I'd almost rather him be suspended for the Big East opener than the carrier game. More people will probably watch the carrier game, and it's a chance for a very quality non-conference win.

Edit to add: The part I don't like is the Gary Parrish tweet. He's close with Jeff Goodman who is close to Buzz, and the fact that he would bring up this instance is something that pushes people away scares me a little bit.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 12:33:03 PM by cheebs09 »

Groin_pull

• All American
Fully expect Buzz to move on for the next decent job--especially one in the SEC. Then LW can hire his "own guy"...and we can look forward to multiple NIT runs. But hey, at least 'ol Larry will have a coach he's comfortable with.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 01:02:03 PM by Groin_pull »

The Process

• All American
Didn't Izzo get suspended a game due to a minor violation in the Dawson recruitment? Did he commit the violation resulting in the suspension and that's how it would be different? Also, didn't Calhoun have a suspension for major violations, but his suspension kicked in during the Big East season. Maybe there's a rule or precedent.

Izzo was suspended in 2010 because the Spartans employed an Individual Associated With a Prospect (IAWP) during a summer camp.

Apparently Izzo was "ticked off" about the suspension, too.

Calhoun was suspended for three games because of recruiting violations:

The NCAA and the school have been investigating the program since shortly after a report by Yahoo! Sports in March 2009 that former team manager Josh Nochimson helped guide recruit Nate Miles to Connecticut, giving him lodging, transportation, meals and representation.

As a former team manager, Nochimson is considered a representative of UConn's athletic interests by the NCAA and prohibited from giving Miles anything of value.

"We cited the head coach for not being on top of these issues with the agent, the booster," Thomas said. "The head coach stated that the booster was a member of the family during his days as team manager."

The school said it found that the basketball staff exchanged more than 1,400 calls and 1,100 text messages with Nochimson between June 2005 and December 2008.

Members of the coaching staff also provided 32 impermissible complimentary tickets to individuals responsible for teaching or directing activities with prospective student-athletes.

Also, Pat Forde wrote an interesting piece about the topic of head coaches and accountability in the wake of Calhoun's suspension.
Relax. Respect the Process.

🏀

• All American
If Buzz is pissed(unlikely) because the suspension is entirely overboard and doesn't fit the crime, then half the team that was suspended at some point last year can be equally pissed at Buzz.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Best post in this thread. We are fooling ourselves if we think for even one second this board knows better than the athletics department, office of the president and board of directors.
We are NOT fooling ourselves. What you're saying is that these people "know better than you." Are you that much of a yes man? Whoever is in charge...including the BOTs, who've proven themselves buffoons...are smarter than you? That Pilarz, who's led an admittedly admirable mission in his life, isn't a sheltered "academic?" we have people discussing the mission of Marquette because of their bankrolls, not their intelligence or ability to think strategically. Marquette has never been an institution led by "leaders." The powers that be are a group of followers. Now, we've got a bunch of newcomers telling us what we should be? What the hell is the matter with what we are!?

There is exactly one thing that all alumni and other stakeholders can unite behind and it's the basketball team. It drives applications, donations, season ticket sales, etc. Do you think moving from 70th ot 35th in US News and World Report is going to mean a goddamnned thing at the end of the day? All it means is Pilarz can get a better seat at the Jesuit convention. And speaking of better seats, if this noose tightening continues at MU, I wouldn't be surprised to see us playing at The Al.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Lets forget about academic experience for a minute.

From a management experience standpoint, Pilarz came to us from Scranton. Larry Williams from Portland. These are the guys currently at the controls of the charter.

cheebs09

• All American
Also to piggyback on what PRN said, it's a big part of the student experience, not just alumni. Maybe because I'm a big sports fan and so are my friends, but the early part of the school year was spent counting down to the start of basketball season. I loved my time at Marquette, but nothing on campus created the buzz or unity on campus like the basketball team. We don't have a football team and using Madison as a comparison, they have the Halloween party and Mifflin Block Party to get students fired up. I feel a sub-par basketball team would definitely impact the excitement of being a student at Marquette.