'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next Season  (Read 16932 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Next Season
« Reply #200 on: April 12, 2024, 02:10:23 PM »
How do we feel about the outside shooting of this team?

Kam- great
Joplin- great at times
Gold- can be good
Ross- can be good
Lowery- ?
Norman- ?
Stevie- hit or miss

Do we need another knock down shooter more than anything?

Could use a PG, but we have options. Could use a Big, but we have options.
But what about that true shooter?

Joplin is not close to great, I would say closer to average to poor.  Lots of question marks next year, need each returning player shooting 500 shots a day to improve!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #201 on: April 12, 2024, 02:28:58 PM »

Kam- great
Joplin- great at times
Gold- can be good
Ross- can be good
Lowery- ?
Norman- ?
Stevie- hit or miss

Why worry about your feelings when there is cold hard data.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/269/table/game/sort/threePointFieldGoalPct/dir/desc

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #202 on: April 12, 2024, 02:29:32 PM »

Kam- great
Joplin- great at times
Gold- can be good
Ross- can be good
Lowery- ?
Norman- ?
Stevie- hit or miss

Two birds.  One stone.  Come on down, Jonas Aidoo.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #203 on: April 12, 2024, 02:34:21 PM »

Joplin is not close to great, I would say closer to average to poor.  Lots of question marks next year, need each returning player shooting 500 shots a day to improve!

What? The last two years he's at 37.4% on over 5 attempts per game. He's good, and far closer to great than average.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #204 on: April 12, 2024, 02:39:54 PM »
What? The last two years he's at 37.4% on over 5 attempts per game. He's good, and far closer to great than average.

I don’t think BCHoopster or GoldenEagles03 actually watch the games
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #205 on: April 12, 2024, 03:11:55 PM »

I said he is great at times. Yes inconsistent, but he is one of their better outside weapons.

He shot what...38 or 39 percent from deep this year? How is that poor? Come on.
VIOLENCE!

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #206 on: April 12, 2024, 03:15:44 PM »
You really couldn't be bothered to click on the link 4 posts above yours and answer your own question?

The correct answer is 35. Good, not great, concerning that it went down from his Sophomore season, and I'll save you from asking your next question, it was 39 then.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #207 on: April 12, 2024, 03:18:53 PM »
I don’t think BCHoopster or GoldenEagles03 actually watch the games

Did you watch the last game, that’s all my memory remembers, O-7 from 3 and how about the free throws!

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #208 on: April 12, 2024, 03:19:14 PM »
Joplin is an elite outside shooter. The problem is he needs space and can’t really create it for himself off the dribble.
No Finish Line

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #209 on: April 12, 2024, 03:22:19 PM »
You really couldn't be bothered to click on the link 4 posts above yours and answer your own question?

The correct answer is 35. Good, not great, concerning that it went down from his Sophomore season, and I'll save you from asking your next question, it was 39 then.

I scroll fast.

..but Jop also went 0-for in the final game against the Wolfpack that probably dropped him a whole % or 2. The looks he got last year were ideal in his bench role behind OMax. Not really concerning to see his numbers dip a bit as the volume increases.

I think it is completely fair to say he is a good shooter that can be great at times...AND he is 1 of 2 players that can truly create their own shot on this roster. It is he and Kam for the most part that have that skill.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 03:24:17 PM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #210 on: April 12, 2024, 03:22:41 PM »
Joplin is an elite outside shooter. The problem is he needs space and can’t really create it for himself off the dribble.

Elite give me a break, average yes, Steve Novak is elite

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #211 on: April 12, 2024, 03:31:58 PM »
I said he is great at times. Yes inconsistent, but he is one of their better outside weapons.

He shot what...38 or 39 percent from deep this year? How is that poor? Come on.

35.5%.

I did the work for you.  You just had to click the link.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #212 on: April 12, 2024, 03:38:39 PM »
Joplin is both a very good shooter and a very poor shooter. He is one of the more inconsistent players around. If he steadies out a bit, I think he can be a good to great shooter.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #213 on: April 12, 2024, 04:55:31 PM »
I like Jop and don’t like it when some Scoopers rip him. But he is not an “elite” shooter.

He’s pretty good from 3 most games, a threat the opponent has to account for. He’s occasionally very good, occasionally not good. Hopefully he’ll be back in the 40% range next season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #214 on: April 12, 2024, 05:10:01 PM »
I like Jop and don’t like it when some Scoopers rip him. But he is not an “elite” shooter.

He’s pretty good from 3 most games, a threat the opponent has to account for. He’s occasionally very good, occasionally not good. Hopefully he’ll be back in the 40% range next season.

As we all know, he is basically inconsistent.  You can look at the Purdue game when he was out of mind and scored like 20 points in a half, then 0 against NCS, yes he made 2 layups.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #215 on: April 12, 2024, 05:10:52 PM »
I do think we'll see a Jop next year who is more consistent with a more diversified game. I know he had a rough one vs. NC State, but he scored in a variety of ways against Uconn, WKU, and Colorado. Some that we'd rarely or never seen before. He was gaining a lot of confidence in other areas of his game before the NCST disaster.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #216 on: April 12, 2024, 05:19:36 PM »
I do think we'll see a Jop next year who is more consistent with a more diversified game. I know he had a rough one vs. NC State, but he scored in a variety of ways against Uconn, WKU, and Colorado. Some that we'd rarely or never seen before. He was gaining a lot of confidence in other areas of his game before the NCST disaster.

I agree, if he works his ass off the next 6 months with good coaching he should be better

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #217 on: April 12, 2024, 05:37:03 PM »
All shooters are inconsistent…………you can find stretches where Steph Curry stunk for 3 or 4 games in a row.

If you watched Novak play in his state tournament loss as a high school senior you would have wondered why Crean recruited him.

Ps in our final 4 game with Kansas…..2 of the best shooters in MU history( Novak and Diener) combined to go 2-18 from the field which included a 1-10 performance from 3……and the line was shorter then.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #218 on: April 12, 2024, 10:27:17 PM »
All shooters are inconsistent…………you can find stretches where Steph Curry stunk for 3 or 4 games in a row.

If you watched Novak play in his state tournament loss as a high school senior you would have wondered why Crean recruited him.

Ps in our final 4 game with Kansas…..2 of the best shooters in MU history( Novak and Diener) combined to go 2-18 from the field which included a 1-10 performance from 3……and the line was shorter then.

This is an outstanding post.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #219 on: April 13, 2024, 07:31:11 AM »
Elite give me a break, average yes, Steve Novak is elite

Novak is elite on Facebook

GOO

• All American
« Reply #220 on: April 13, 2024, 07:54:43 AM »

Exactly. Shooters, good and great, are streaky. That’s always Ben my impression. Bad shooters are consistent in that they miss a lot and consistently.

Jop will be fine. Seemed to be more athletic this year and willing to mix it up more and take in inside. 

In my uneducated understanding: Needs to work on his handle in traffic and handle driving to the hoop. Needs to work on keeping the ball moving and looking for others. Ball can slow down in his hands at times and he can become too focused on the hoop looking for his shot and force when he could kick out. Quicker decisions and looking for others and dribbling. Hard stuff, I know.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #221 on: April 13, 2024, 07:58:30 AM »
Exactly. Shooters, good and great, are streaky. That’s always Ben my impression. Bad shooters are consistent in that they miss a lot and consistently.

Jop will be fine. Seemed to be more athletic this year and willing to mix it up more and take in inside. 

In my uneducated understanding: Needs to work on his handle in traffic and handle driving to the hoop. Needs to work on keeping the ball moving and looking for others. Ball can slow down in his hands at times and he can become too focused on the hoop looking for his shot and force when he could kick out. Quicker decisions and looking for others and dribbling. Hard stuff, I know.

Jolp will forever be a frustrating player for some people.  And he is!  Flashes at times and then stumbles at times.  Some prefer to dwell on the negative, some on the positive

Truth is almost always in the middle.  He’ll have a much bigger role next year and will need to be much more consistent.  Depending on what happens with the roster, his improvement or lack thereof may be what determines Marquette’s ceiling in 2025.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #222 on: April 13, 2024, 08:06:06 AM »
It pretty much determined Marquettes ceiling this season too.

Don’t love disparaging young kids that put a ton of effort into becoming good basketball players, but that might’ve been the worst game I’ve seen a Marquette player play in my life, at least on a big stage.

That was MUs ceiling- they could never survive and advance a game like that from Jop.

One of the things coach needs to get better with, because when you are an elite team it shouldn’t be that way, and it wasn’t during the season.
There are others that should be/are ready to get Jolp off the hook and help raise that ceiling.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #223 on: April 13, 2024, 08:24:32 AM »
I think Jop puts it all together next season.  The pieces are there
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #224 on: April 13, 2024, 08:28:44 AM »
I think Jop puts it all together next season.  The pieces are there

Agree