[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Damion Lee gives his finalists .... MU is one of them  (Read 122224 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Damion Lee gives his finalists .... MU is one of them
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2015, 12:44:39 PM »
never said factually, all my opinion.

Was just reading today that Seth Curry is not being hurt in his quest to be MVP because he plays on the west coast.  That's because all the national reporters and pooh-bahs in the NBA are on the east coast.

I thought it was generally understood that basketball is a Midwest/east coast "slanted" game (both college and NBA) and the closer one is to the power center, the better they are.

You stated your opinion like it was a matter of fact. Don't back down now.

Also, Seth Curry is never going to win an MVP award. It has nothing to do with where he plays. He's not very good at basketball. Take a minute to google him and look at his numbers. This is a FACT, not an opinion, BTW.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 12:49:20 PM by Canned Goods n Ammo »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2015, 12:52:16 PM »
You are so factually incorrect it is absurd.  Scouts watch a TON of tape (not some random TV feed or YouTube video like a casual fan or even a diehard fan, they get birdview tapes).  Once they decide that a player has a skillset they are looking for then they go into more detailed scouting of that player.  They aren't going to get a list of potential NBA players and go visit every player in person.  That's simply not possible.  You get your list, watch video, cut your list down, and then go see players in person who you view as potential assets to your team.  Scouts/GMs can't even legally speak with or about non-senior players, so talking about waiting outside the locker room and talking to them is once again beyond silly.

I also don't think you have a clue as to what it means to be on a team's radar.  Just because you're on their radar does not mean they're ready and willing to offer you a contract.  Duane Wilson and Luke Fischer are on NBA radars.  You think they should go pro, but they wouldn't be drafted.  NBA scouts are very aware of Damion Lee, and are intrigued to see what he does against tougher competition.  You evidently think that NBA scouts are just oblivious to a top 5 NCAA scorer from a mid major who is 6'6" and shot nearly 40% from 3 point range last year.  Again, you simply just don't understand how it works, and it becomes more and more evident with every post you make.

And you think scouts are putting together their lists based on newspaper headlines.  No wonder you post so many news articles on here.  This just keeps getting funnier.

You say Tarzeski is listed as a mid first round pick but scouts won't go to the desert to see him play.  Yeah, they're just going to blindly take him mid first round without every scouting him because draftexpress.com says he should go mid first round.

Please continue.  This is good.

* You wrote  Scouts watch a TON of tape (not some random TV feed or YouTube video like a casual fan or even a diehard fan, they get birdview tapes).

The LEAGUE has scouts that put together "tear sheets" on every player as you suggest.  This is available to every team via a secure website.  The LEAGUE also runs the combine and try put camps (like Portsmouth).  The LEAGUE scouts that do this are most in NYC with some in the major cities (like Chicago and LA).  Individual team scouts read these reports, they do not compile them (see the next point).

* Once they decide that a player has a skillset they are looking for then they go into more detailed scouting of that player.

Correct.  But this happens in April to June.  How do they decide who to focus on?  Lots of ways.  Positive press helps.  So does senior personnel having seen them in person, like the team's head of scouting and the GM.  The "tear sheets" noted above are just the research tool they START with.  If you make it convenient for the GM and the head of scouting to watch you, like playing in an NBA arena, it helps.  Play in front of national reporters to get further attention also helps too.

* Scouts/GMs can't even legally speak with or about non-senior players

I thought this discussion was about Lee, who will be a senior next year.  So this statement was correct in this context.

* You evidently think that NBA scouts are just oblivious to a top 5 NCAA scorer from a mid major who is 6'6" and shot nearly 40% from 3 point range last year.

Yes the LEAGUE scouts know about him and will compiles a "tear sheet" on the player (see above).  The real question does the Celtics, Bucks, Bulls,  Knicks, Nets, Pacers (etc) GMs and/or head of scouting know anything about Lee?  Answer today is probably little to nothing.  Play well and play with a potential lottery pick (Henry and/or Stone) and play where it is easy for them to get to you and that answer can change.

If you are a marginal player trying to get drafted, I think the big East offers an advantage.  If you are a stud lottery pick, you can play in war-torn Croatia (or Tucson!) and they will find you.  Lee is not a stud lottery pick.  Henry is, as is Stone, so play on their team
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 12:54:30 PM by Lee Heisenberg »

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #177 on: April 15, 2015, 12:54:17 PM »
Good to know we've been derailed by the usual suspects.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2015, 12:59:43 PM »
You stated your opinion like it was a matter of fact. Don't back down now.

Also, Seth Curry is never going to win an MVP award. It has nothing to do with where he plays. He's not very good at basketball. Take a minute to google him and look at his numbers. This is a FACT, not an opinion, BTW.

My opinion is matter of fact to me.

Are you saying you never heard of the idea that playing on the west coast is a disadvantage?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2015, 01:03:28 PM »

Are you saying you never heard of the idea that playing on the west coast is a disadvantage?

Are you just stupid?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2015, 01:07:27 PM »

For college basketball NBA prospects? No.

Now, I imagine for a media based award for a professional player, maybe playing out east is more of an advantage. I don't have proof, but I understand how you could formulate that opinion.

But, there are PAID professionals whose sole job is to find the best basketball players. They look all over the world to find them.

I can't imagine that playing the Pac12 is a big disadvantage because these scouts are sleeping, or they are afraid to drive more than 30min. to see a player.

Media members who vote on awards aren't paid to vote on awards, so their level of interest might grow weary. But, paid scouts? Paid professionals? If there is a good player to be found, they will likely hear about him. They aren't finding these guys by accident.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #181 on: April 15, 2015, 01:13:50 PM »
For college basketball NBA prospects? No.

I agree for lottery pick it does not matter (and said that above).  We are talking about a DJO type of player, hoping to get picked in the last 15 picks of the second round.  Scouts are not going to see him.  They will go to see Henry and /or Stone so get on their teams.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2015, 01:20:26 PM »
I agree for lottery pick it does not matter (and said that above).  We are talking about a DJO type of player, hoping to get picked in the last 15 picks of the second round.  Scouts are not going to see him.  They will go to see Henry and /or Stone so get on their teams.

Well, then in my opinion, you're just not very bright.

Factually, I don't know what else to tell you.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #183 on: April 15, 2015, 01:25:22 PM »
never said factually, all my opinion.

Was just reading today that Seth Curry is not being hurt in his quest to be MVP because he plays on the west coast.  That's because all the national reporters and pooh-bahs in the NBA are on the east coast.

I actually think that Seth Curry is hurt in his bid to win the MVP because he has only played in 4 NBA games in his career.   If he wins, I'm calling shenanigans.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #184 on: April 15, 2015, 01:58:32 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2015, 02:46:40 PM »
I really am having trouble figuring out of Heisentroll really believes the stuff he types, or if he is simply trying to be a Murffesque contrarian.

It's all about the clicks for him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2015, 03:20:14 PM »
Where did this clicks idea come from?  What statement did I make that you got wrong?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2015, 03:54:14 PM »
Where did this clicks idea come from?  What statement did I make that you got wrong?

Probably when you said you want people to click on your threads  ::)

Of course!  That was the plan

When I start a post, I want it opened and read.  The title needs to generate interest.

Posters here use the worst, nondescript that say nothing titles.  I often don't open those threads.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brandx

« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2015, 03:58:05 PM »

I think he meant Eddie Curry.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2015, 04:23:50 PM »
Probably when you said you want people to click on your threads  ::)

You realize that was a comment on the terrible titles people have for threads. Too many of them I have no idea what the subject is about.

On the first page see UCONN and NLI.  I have no idea what they are about and have no bothered to read them.  Tell me what it is about, you were obviously motivated to start a thread. 

Their are 40 threads on the first page, why should I bother reading them?  If you are too lazy to explain it in the title, don't bother starting it.

Now, how you got "I want clicks" I have no idea.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »
I think he meant Eddie Curry.

Chicken Curry

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2015, 04:28:23 PM »
You realize that was a comment on the terrible titles people have for threads. Too many of them I have no idea what the subject is about.

On the first page see UCONN and NLI.  I have no idea what they are about and have no bothered to read them.  Tell me what it is about, you were obviously motivated to start a thread. 

Their are 40 threads on the first page, why should I bother reading them?  If you are too lazy to explain it in the title, don't bother starting it.

You wanted to know where it came from. That's where it came from.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2015, 04:30:55 PM »

So you think "UCONN" is a thread title that does not tell you about what the thread is about (UCONN's athletics is what the thread title is about) but "A New Powerhouse?" tells us exactly what the thread is about when it's about UIC being in on a single top recruit?  Got it, that makes complete sense.   ::)

You also posted elsewhere comparing the number of views your threads had compared to the rest on the first page of Hanging at the Al.  If that's not about generating clicks/views/whatever you want to call it, then I'm not sure why you posted it...

Again, your need for attention is bordering on Ners level.  It's quite bad.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2015, 04:34:54 PM »
So you think "UCONN" is a thread title that does not tell you about what the thread is about (UCONN's athletics is what the thread title is about) but "A New Powerhouse?" tells us exactly what the thread is about when it's about UIC being in on a single top recruit?  Got it, that makes complete sense.   ::)

You also posted elsewhere comparing the number of views your threads had compared to the rest on the first page of Hanging at the Al.  If that's not about generating clicks/views/whatever you want to call it, then I'm not sure why you posted it...

Again, your need for attention is bordering on Ners level.  It's quite bad.

UCONN coming back to the Big East??? would have been a lot better (i just looked at it).

Initially I thought it was a tiresome thread about their women's team that won the NC last week.  That is why I ignored it

I never said I look at clicks.  I said I want people to open my threads and participate. 

Maybe one of those hard working NBA scouts can explain the difference to you.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #194 on: April 15, 2015, 06:23:21 PM »
So how about that Damion Lee???  Hoya?  Wades?  TAMU?  Any news on that front?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #195 on: April 15, 2015, 06:36:35 PM »
So how about that Damion Lee???  Hoya?  Wades?  TAMU?  Any news on that front?

Nothing more here.  We will probably star to hear more as he goes on his visits/gets visits from the coaching staffs of the 5 finalists.  Until then there probably won't be a whole lot more to report.  I would imagine he will focus on finishing up school over the next 3 weeks and then things will start to heat up.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #196 on: April 15, 2015, 09:26:01 PM »
Since the bar was set at 30 minutes, the answer is 3 of the 12 teams in the Pac-12.  None play in NBA arenas.

Arizona State - 11 miles (18 minutes) to Suns Arena
UCLA - 14.2 miles (35 minutes) to Staples Center
USC - 2.3 miles (8 minutes) to Staples Center
Stanford - 28.3 miles (41 minutes) to Oracle Center (Golden State Warriors)
Cal - 14.7 miles (33 minutes) to to Oracle Center (Golden State Warriors)
Oregon State - 86 miles (1 1/2 hours) to Portland Trailblazers arena
Utah - 2.8 miles (11 minutes) to Utah Jazz)
Colorado - 26.7 miles (40 minutes) to Denver Nuggets Arena

Using the same criteria, how many Big East teams are within 30 minutes of an NBA team?  Answer, 7 with 4 playing in NBA arenas.

MU (NBA Arena)
St. Johns (NBA Arena)
Nova (NBA Arena)
Georgetown (NBA Arena)
Seton Hall
Butler
Depaul

More than 30 minutes
Providence
Xavier
Creighton

I just checked Google and by the under 30 minute drive times they're showing 5 for the Pac 12 and 5 from the Big East.    They show Cal and Colorado within 30, and Seton Hall and DePaul longer than 30 minutes.
But I hope you get the idea;  the arbitrary half hour travel time shows there really isn't any marked difference in distance to prevent a scout from making it to a Pac 12 game.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #197 on: April 15, 2015, 09:51:45 PM »
Louisville paper perspective on the Lee recruiting battle.

U of L transfer target Lee thorough in search
Jeff Greer
6:01 p.m. EDT April 15, 2015

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2015/04/15/louisville-basketball-transfer-target-damion-lee-thorough-research/25841223/

Once Damion Lee knew he would be transferring from Drexel University, he sat down with his mother and conducted what he calls a "thorough investigation" of the college basketball landscape and his potential landing spots.

Turns out the 6-foot-6 wing, who was fourth in the nation in scoring last season, averaging 21.4 points a game, had quite a few options.

In the two weeks since news broke that the Baltimore native would graduate and transfer for his final year of eligibility, Lee has heard from scores of coaches. It took some time to work through all the messages he received, but Lee trimmed his list to five schools on Sunday, and the University of Louisville is one of them.

The Cardinals have made Lee a top priority as they seek ways to replace departing guard Terry Rozier and graduating wing Wayne Blackshear.

"It's been crazy," Lee said. "Just these last couple weeks, with all the schools calling, trying to see what I wanted to narrow my list down to -- and not even just coaches, but media outlets, friends, family. Everyone's just trying to get the scoop."

The process that led Lee to cut his transfer options down to Arizona, Gonzaga, Marquette, Maryland and U of L has been meticulous, and as much as everyone around him wants to know what he's thinking, Lee is in no rush to make a decision. He hopes to choose a school in early May.

First, Lee charted out everything. He studied this past season and how players who played his position fared at the schools he is considering. He looked at how players have done once they left the program. He considered which players are returning or leaving, and which newcomers are arriving.

To inform his research even more, Lee used Synergy Sports, an advanced scouting site, to map out each team's playing style, from offensive and defensive schemes to what kind of shots they took.

"I'm just trying to handle everything in a professional manner," Lee said. "I was doing my thorough investigation of every school and program."

Lee visits Arizona first, from Friday to Sunday, then Louisville from Sunday to Tuesday. Gonzaga's coaches will fly to Baltimore to visit Lee next Wednesday. He is familiar with Maryland, which is a short drive from home, and may still set up a visit with Marquette, though his trips have to align with his mom's work schedule.

"When I go on these visits, I want to do everything I've been doing -- just going in there, making sure that I feel comfortable and that everything that is said over the phone is shown in person, that it's not smoke and mirrors," Lee said.

"I'm going into this weekend, both of these vists, with an open mind, not thinking anything negative or positive."

His trip to Louisville is critical for the Cards. U of L coach Rick Pitino said several times since the conclusion of the 2014-15 season that he would like to add multiple graduate transfers to his roster for the next campaign, and Louisville already nabbed Cleveland State transfer Trey Lewis.

Pitino also wants players who can shoot.

"From this point on, for as long as I live, if someone cannot shoot the basketball, I'm taking them off any letter-writing list," Pitino joked at the Final Four in Indianapolis.

Lee, who has known assistant coach Kenny Johnson since his days on the AAU circuit in the Washington, D.C., area, shot 43.8 percent last season as a high-volume shooter who attempted 14.4 shots a game. He made 38.5 percent of his 3-pointers, and converted 88.7 percent of his free throws.

"I feel that I'd be able to come in and contribute," Lee said. "Just come in and be a leader and just showcase my talents and my abilities."

Also visiting: Coppin State graduate transfer Sterling Smith plans to visit U of L next Wednesday, according to multiple reports ... 2016 guard Derryck Thornton, who is considering reclassifying to 2015 and enrolling in school this year, plans to visit U of L in early May, according to 247Sports.com.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:07:45 PM by Lee Heisenberg »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #198 on: April 15, 2015, 10:06:36 PM »

So, a nondescript title will prevent you from reading (and therefore posting in) a thread.  Good to know.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #199 on: April 15, 2015, 10:07:43 PM »
The numbers above were from Google.  You did the same thing I did and got a different answer.

Time of day likely matters, I believe Google uses real time traffic for their estimates.