'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We Have a Trade  (Read 11955 times)

HoopsMalone

• All American
Re: We Have a Trade
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2010, 12:13:23 AM »
Buzz said that he is great at telling the truth.  This situation is a consequence of brutal honesty.  I don't like the way it sounds like things went down.  Hopefully Newbill will land in a great spot for him and Buzz will support him in the future if he can.  Very tough on the kid and we all empathize with him.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2010, 12:40:06 AM »
Buzz said that he is great at telling the truth.  This situation is a consequence of brutal honesty.  I don't like the way it sounds like things went down.  Hopefully Newbill will land in a great spot for him and Buzz will support him in the future if he can.  Very tough on the kid and we all empathize with him.

If all this is true, and Buzz didn't call the kid to tell him.....kind of reminds you of someone else that didn't tell individuals about leaving for another job.

Again, hope this isn't true.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2010, 12:46:15 AM »
This is nothing like Crean ditching his team

My friend is back, how wonderful.  Why the username change on your part?

I didn't say it was like ditching his team.  I said it was like not being a man and telling someone directly impacted by it.   If Buzz didn't want this kid on the team, he should have told him directly, not have Scott Monarch do it.  If this is all true.

I'll pass full judgment after I get more facts, but there is a reason why I wait 5 years to evaluate a coach, because it's too easy to fall in love with someone in the first year or two before some of the shine comes off.

Let's hope that isn't the case here.

PhillyCoach

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2010, 01:08:21 AM »
i dont care about grammar right now. Im sure u get the point. And i know alot of u guys want the best for dj and i respect that. But there will alway be haters and people who feed off the downfall of others. I know  i dont have to defend myself but when u mentor and work with hundreds of youth and famillies you cant keep tabs on them all. Dj counselors his principal his family the mu coaches and even me dropped the ball on his mu app. I honestly thought it all was taken care of or would me taken care of after i was no longer a volunteer at the school. But god will work it out. Dj will be fine please keep him in your prayers. Thanks

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2010, 01:30:36 AM »
phillycoach

Whether you are legitimate or not (my hunch is that you are), you sure are taking this like a class act. And don't worry about the immature people on here complaining about your grammar. That is a punk thing to do.

Most people here are genuinely concerned for DJ and will hope and pray that he lands on his feet. Is there any possibility of DJ going to prep school for a year then coming to MU? I assume not because MU and DJ's camp apparently didn't have a very friendly parting of ways, but I thought it was worth asking.

Regarding the application, I honestly find this astounding. How something like that could slip through the cracks until this close to when DJ plans on coming to campus is beyond me. While that is by no means grounds for revoking a scholarship, that would be a major red flag for me if I were a coach.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2010, 06:21:39 AM »
If Phillycoach's account is accurate, I am going to be disappointed in Buzz.   The app is a weak, convenient out.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2010, 07:00:39 AM »
Sure sounds like Buzz hosed this kid.

What say ye all those Buzz lovers who think he can do no wrong?

Starting to detect a pattern here: Mbao, Roseboro, Maymon, Newbill?

Surely, Mr. Tokoto will be taking notice!

Not good!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2010, 07:28:05 AM »
If Phillycoach's account is accurate, I am going to be disappointed in Buzz.   The app is a weak, convenient out.   

Agree, let's hope there's much more to it than that.  A coaching staff should be hand delivering the application and practically filling the thing out for the kid.  Plus, Wilson being in the Pro Am, hanging around Wisconsin in the offseason and the news coming out that he would transfer and to MU all in the same day is kind of suspicious itself - hard to believe that he made the decision to transfer without previously talking with the MU coaching staff, then engaged them and got a spot opened for himself all in the same day.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2010, 07:56:11 AM »
PhillyCoach - a few questions:

1) Out of the returning and new players to be on MU's roster, who was DJ close to and might have been talking to over the summer?  How could he not already know of this summer ProAm tournament?

2) Since DJ was supposed to be in Milwaukee on July 7th, I assume he was going to be in 2nd session summer school.  Why had he not already registered for class?

3) It has been known for a long time that an MU incoming player was headed for a prep school due to grade issues.  Are you saying that DJ was never headed to prep school?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2010, 07:58:32 AM »
This doesn't sound good for Marquette...but I still feel less in need of a shower than I did when Crean was our coach.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2010, 08:12:24 AM »
Show some class jhags15... personal attacks in the anonymity of message boards are pretty pitiful. 

Agree completely.  Thanks Mods for the ignore button Jhags meet Butch and murffies
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2010, 08:17:16 AM »

Somehow I doubt that the call Monarch made yesterday was the first one regarding the application since Newbill signed a LOI.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2010, 08:28:46 AM »
Somehow I doubt that the call Monarch made yesterday was the first one regarding the application since Newbill signed a LOI.

I was just about the post the same thing. PhillyCoach seems to be a legit source, but he has admitted that he's been somewhat removed from the situation recently. For all we know, there may have been daily calls being made to DJ about his application or even conversations that led Buzz to believe that DJ was questioning his committment to the program. On the other hand, it's also possible that MU looked the other way on DJ's missing application because they knew it would be a good out in case Wilson wanted to transfer to MU.

No matter how things went down, I feel for DJ and wish him the best.

muvanwilder

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2010, 09:25:26 AM »
Philly coach,

Unfortunately, you have to understand that no one on this board (and probably 99% of the student population at MU) knows anything about South Philly and the struggle kids have there just to stay alive (most himicides in the country since the beginning of the year)! Their actions are not a reflection of what a Jesuit education stands for. Since DJ is now relectantly free to choose another school, perhaps Boston College is looking to fill a scholarship? It's a classier school with a lot more pride (and they do things he right way).

With classes starting in two months, your job is not going to be easy. At the 11th hour, I cant imagine there will be many (if any) options that are the right fit for DJ. Apparently, the MU community doesnt mind that its change of heart may very well cost a year of a teenagers development (academically and athletically). However, considering we're talking about a kid from South Philly, I have no doubt he will overcome this obstacle; it's just sad that DJ did everything right and MU is no longer interested. What's even more deplorable are the people on this board that are already thinking and getting excited about how their coach is going to utilize DJ's roster spot. These people are clearly not "men for others." And perhaps DJ is, in fact, better off disassociating himself with these people. Good Luck - I'll be rooting the kid.  

The struggles of growing up in south Madison...

reinko

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2010, 09:27:40 AM »
The struggles of growing up in south Madison...

Dude, don't kid about this.  Middleton is a scary scary place.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
What I do not really understand is, if Buzz is such a great recruiter, why is he taking flyers on recruits from Pennslyvania. Both Roseboro and Newbill were not highly rated. you only sign players like that, if you do not feel you can get someone better.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2010, 09:39:26 AM »
Obviously Buzz has broken up the recruiting country to asst. coaches and they have made mistakes that he then corrects. This doesn't excuse Buzz as he's the program's bus driver. As was reported, only Monarch thought DJ had BigEast skills.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2010, 09:48:17 AM »
So anyways...theres more to the story than we're hearing here, there always is and we will never know so moving on...I think I would rather have a transfer Wilson than a Wilson commit in the first place, this allows him to refine his raw skills (which are bountiful) with practice for a year and then have 3 years of eligibility left.

feedback