[Today at 12:46:34 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Radio Show Recap from Tonight  (Read 15698 times)

Lighthouse 84

• All American
Re: Buzz Radio Show Recap from Tonight
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2014, 08:02:17 AM »
If anyone ever said your you're not a good guy.. Their They're a Liar.. I honestly like going back and forth with you....

you never back down... lol.. keep it consistent Sultan!

FIFY.  I know this is a message board and some of the people on here may still be in college or even younger, but did they stop teaching remedial English to middle school kids?  Typos are one thing for a message board, but I find it hard to believe that people who are either at MU or have graduated from MU are this bad with English.

This is not just directed at 233, but to those who daily say the same message....We get the frustration with the lineups Buzz has on the floor.  We get the frustration of a loss when it was close to being a W.  But to post multiple times per day on the same subject in the same, and different, threads, makes this board difficult to read.  I realize there is an "ignore" button and I and others do use it.  But I'm understanding why others, who actually had interesting content to post, have gone away from Scoop.  It's the daily vitriol on the same subjects.

Edit:  Navin's right.  Unfortunately, Scoop has become a boring place to be.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:05:37 AM by Lighthouse 84 »
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2014, 08:06:20 AM »
I don't know what to call the Willie crowd...

The Whiney Bitch Brigade...wanting to believe that there are easy answers to complex problems.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2014, 08:40:39 AM »
Ners, here is where I think the disconnect is.  The VAST majority of the board, I'd darn say the entire board doesn't think Derrick is the answer.  I think 99.9% (I don't like absolutes) of the board would like to see some sort of modification of the PG and SG minutes.  However, you seem to think there is some cabal on the board that loves Derrick and sees no evil.

What I think the majority of the board of the board disagrees with you on is the presentment that if Dawson gets 30+ minutes everything will be good.  Or the concept that we have to play somebody 30 minutes a game to know if they are any good.  Or just the way the arguments are crafted ("you can't use a small sample size"...."the one time he played 30+ min we won, see it works").

Lastly, for me anyway, is the way your crowd presents it, forces everyone else to be defensive and admittedly childishly lash out(that's on us).  I don't know what to call the Willie crowd, but it's presented as Buzz is either an idiot(because he doesn't know Dawson is better) or he is a stubborn, bad coach(because he refuses to play Dawson).  If you disagree with either of those assessments you are a kool-aid drinker.

The correct term is "slurper."

And this post is pretty much spot on.  Honestly, even though I have repeatedly acknowledged Derrick's down side and said that he is at best average, I'm labelled "pro-Derrick" because I don't agree with giving 30+ minutes to Dawson.

It reminds me of the political debates we have now in this country where there is no middle ground.  Either you're with us completely, or you are the enemy.  No shades of gray allowed.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2014, 08:46:32 AM »
FIFY.  I know this is a message board and some of the people on here may still be in college or even younger, but did they stop teaching remedial English to middle school kids?  Typos are one thing for a message board, but I find it hard to believe that people who are either at MU or have graduated from MU are this bad with English.

This is not just directed at 233, but to those who daily say the same message....We get the frustration with the lineups Buzz has on the floor.  We get the frustration of a loss when it was close to being a W.  But to post multiple times per day on the same subject in the same, and different, threads, makes this board difficult to read.  I realize there is an "ignore" button and I and others do use it.  But I'm understanding why others, who actually had interesting content to post, have gone away from Scoop.  It's the daily vitriol on the same subjects.

Edit:  Navin's right.  Unfortunately, Scoop has become a boring place to be.

Most of us are usually on the go when replying and have other things to do besides worry about grammar on a Basketball Forum. If you dont want to read what someone says just hit "Ignore" and done ive done it. Most recently with someone named Atticus he has no idea about basketball, but anyway I do agree some of the topics on here are getting drug out if we gonna lose with Derrick lets just continue to lose. After tonite there will be 20 more Dawson should start posts. Is that gonna change much probably not, so im done beating a dead horse.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:53:23 AM by Nevada233 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »

Edit:  Navin's right.  Unfortunately, Scoop has become a boring place to be.

Pretty much everything you say is right (as are similar comments by others), including that nobody seems to know the difference between there, their and they're, as well as to, too and two.

However, I will amplify one thing: The ignore button is very underrated. I started using it on willie for the first time a couple weeks ago and it has enhanced my Scoop experience. Might be time to deploy it on a few others, too.

And I'm not talking about Ners; yeah, he keeps going back to the same silliness, but at least he never tries to claim that Buzz is worthless, has never done anything good for MU and deserves to be fired.

So theirs, they'res, theyrz, there's no reason to ignore Ners.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2014, 08:55:40 AM »
As I reflect...I'm pulling a Buzz and am driving myself insane.  I keep making the same argument over and over and over again, and expect different results from the dissenting minority on the topic.

Much like Buzz continues to trot out the same backcourt for 27+ minutes per game, and thinking things are going to change.  How's that definition of insanity go:  Keep doing the same thing over and over again yet expecting different results?

I'd say Buzz has to be at the point of the gif Reinko shared earlier as well - the odd thing is he has the power to make the change, and the one game a radical change was made - we got arguably our best win of the year - on the road at G'Town.  Why not try it some more??!!

You have the power to make a change too - recognize that Buzz is saying this team will succeed or fail with Derrick running the point, and (if you are the true MU fan I assume you are) cheer like he!! for us to win with him instead of criticizing his game in nearly every post.

Otherwise, you're being that gif Reinko showed too....

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2014, 08:56:30 AM »
Pretty much everything you say is right (as are similar comments by others), including that nobody seems to know the difference between there, their and they're, as well as to, too and two.

However, I will amplify one thing: The ignore button is very underrated. I started using it on willie for the first time a couple weeks ago and it has enhanced my Scoop experience. Might be time to deploy it on a few others, too.

And I'm not talking about Ners; yeah, he keeps going back to the same silliness, but at least he never tries to claim that Buzz is worthless, has never done anything good for MU and deserves to be fired.

So theirs, they'res, theyrz, there's no reason to ignore Ners.

Ners is pretty cool I think and there are, theres, thurr, their, there is 100 people id ignore before him.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2014, 08:58:57 AM »
You have the power to make a change too - recognize that Buzz is saying this team will succeed or fail with Derrick running the point, and (if you are the true MU fan I assume you are) cheer like he!! for us to win with him instead of criticizing his game in nearly every post.

Indeed Im actually looking forward to Duane and Dawson life after Derrick. . . Because this current team is win or lose with Derrick. Period

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2014, 09:02:02 AM »

Never been a fan of the ignore button, but on you're recommendation, I'll put it too use. At this point, their is really nothing two lose. After all, what wood I due without 87 knew Derrik Wilson threads a day?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2014, 09:06:03 AM »
Never been a fan of the ignore button, but on you're recommendation, I'll put it too use. At this point, their is really nothing two lose. After all, what wood I due without 87 knew Derrik Wilson threads a day?

I sea what your duing +1
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2014, 09:06:27 AM »

And this post is pretty much spot on.  Honestly, even though I have repeatedly acknowledged Derrick's down side and said that he is at best average, I'm labelled "pro-Derrick" because I don't agree with giving 30+ minutes to Dawson.

It reminds me of the political debates we have now in this country where there is no middle ground.  Either you're with us completely, or you are the enemy.  No shades of gray allowed.

+1
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2014, 09:18:33 AM »
Agree pretty much - it's buzz's decision to roll with Derrick - it's on him.   If they keep losing, I am sure the board will continue to explode and question Buzz.   If they win, it will die down.    If he does give Dawson some playing time and the team wins, maybe here is hope for this season yet & next year.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2014, 09:24:27 AM »
Agree pretty much - it's buzz's decision to roll with Derrick - it's on him.   If they keep losing, I am sure the board will continue to explode and question Buzz.   If they win, it will die down.    If he does give Dawson some playing time and the team wins, maybe here is hope for this season yet & next year.

What's the outcome if he gives Dawson more playing time and they still lose?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2014, 09:28:39 AM »
Who actually listened to the show and who is just bloviating?     Buzz said the problem is consistency.    That he doesn't know what he is going to get offensively from Derrick, John, Todd, Jake, Steve from game to game.    That every game is an experiment, seeing who has it that particular day.    That Jake sees so much time because his defensive effort is the same every game.     Pointed out that Derrick had the best shooting percentage on the team against Butler in a low scoring game, whereas JD turned the ball over twice in 4 minutes and in a low scoring, low possession game, he couldn't let him play through it.    That he sees a run in this team.
   I think his riff on Coach Cooley at Providence was particularly telling.    Talked about how he has changed the culture at PC and that players who had any kind of entitled attitude are either gone or buried on the bench.  

So Buzz is frustrated.   He isn't blind or oblivious.   He just doesn't know what he is going to get from game to game.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2014, 09:32:45 AM »
The Whiney Bitch Brigade...wanting to believe that there are easy answers to complex problems.
Yes it is always good to hear the name calling. Nobody said there are easy answers but you. I guess the question you should answer: Is Derrick the answer? Pretty simple question. If it is yes--own it and live with it. If no, then try other things.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2014, 09:46:35 AM »

Then we would know with certainty that we truly exhausted all reasonable possibilities.

And the upshot would be that Dawson has more experience starting day one next season

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2014, 09:48:53 AM »
I took a couple days off from Scoop but it's good to see that nothing has changed  ;)

Marquette has lost 9 games this season. They looked awful against OSU and got routed by Creighton. Other than that, every game has been nip and tuck. Of the 7 other losses, 3 either went to OT or came down to the final possession and in the other 4, MU was within one or two possessions in the final minutes. As has been the case recently, MU has very little margin for error. In each of those 7 games, if one bounce or one call goes differently, Marquette's season could look completely different despite being the exact same team. In the same respect, if a bounce or call goes differently against Davidson, MU never would have been an Elite 8 team last season despite being the exact same team.

Buzz believes that the players who are currently seeing the most floor time are the players who put this team in the best position to win. That's the key phrase. This team has been in position to win in just about all of their losses but they haven't been able to get the job done. If the team was getting dominated nightly, then a coach is likely going to make wholesale changes. If a team is right there but just can't quite get over the hump, it doesn't really make sense to scrap the plan and try something completely different.

Would giving John Dawson an 8-minute run in the first half have made a difference in any of those losses? Would it have cost MU any of its wins? If Todd Mayo was getting Jake Thomas' PT, would MU have more wins? More losses? If JJJ played 20+ mins a game, would he be a difference-maker or just guy who show potential to be good next year?

Who knows?

All I know is that this team is close and Buzz is going to continue to do all he can to put these players in the best position to win.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:54:20 AM by MerrittsMustache »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2014, 09:51:12 AM »

Ners, Willie and their minions are just fundamentally dishonest in many of their arguments. If you acknowledge Derrick's limitations, are excited about Dawson's potential but aren't convinced we've seen enough to make him the starter and give him 30 minutes a game, they characterize you as "pro Derrick". If you suggest the possibility that the guy making 2 million a year who's won 7 NCAA tournament games over three years and who sees these guys every day might know as much or more about coaching this team as they do, well, that makes you a "slurper". To be orthodox enough for Ners you even have to root for Derrick to fail, and if Marquette fails because of it so be it. No interest in joining that cult.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2014, 09:53:13 AM »

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2014, 10:01:28 AM »
Probably switch the bitching to Jake Thomas :)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2014, 10:06:20 AM »
Probably switch the bitching to Jake Thomas :)

Where it should probably be focused now. I hate to say that because I understand why he's out there and why its tough to pull him off the floor, because not only does he present a threat, but he does some things very well, and clearly understands how to play, but he's just limited ability-wise.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2014, 10:13:58 AM »
Some other things...

It's very clear that he feels that his team has a lot of inconsistent players, and that he tries to get everyone in the game to see if they are going to be good that particular day, but when push comes to shove he's going to go with his best defensive players.

Also said that he feels he has a good pulse on his team and where they sit emotionally, and considers this one of the strengths of his staff.

He says that MU is scoring enough to win.  The problem is on the defensive end of the court.  

I agree with this.

But my major criticism of Buzz this year is that it's HIS JOB to get his players to play consistently. You cannot just blame the players he has. He recruited, coached them, and its clear this year that he hasn't done a good enough job on the perimeter players. I do think its partially his coaching style (he isn't going to play you unless you're getting everything right, which may impede that on-the-job learning process that I think he underestimates), and the way he subs. I really don't like the 36 vs 8 minute split he did.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2014, 10:23:40 AM »

Then the same people who are whining about Buzz's "loyalty' to Derrick will whine next season about his "loyalty" to Dawson.

People tend to stick with their strengths....
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 10:25:59 AM by GooooMarquette »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2014, 10:47:09 AM »
Then the same people who are whining about Buzz's "loyalty' to Derrick will whine next season about his "loyalty" to Dawson.

I'm a pro-Dawson guy, but I wish people would stop with the loyalty talk.  Other than his family, winning is first and foremost on Buzz's mind.  Buzz cares more about winning basketball games than anything else (see Newbill threads).  Buzz plays Derrick because Derrick gives us the best chance to win *right now*.  I agree. 

The disagreement that I have is that winning right now is essentially meaningless.  We need to focus on the BET and next season.  Otherwise, we are going to run in to the same problems next year.  Playing to win right now is a little too short-sighted IMO.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2014, 10:52:49 AM »

This is false. We have proven we can't win with Derrick. If we prove we can't win with Dawson we will move on to the next one!

feedback