collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 441596 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #625 on: October 21, 2013, 08:49:59 AM »
What a difference a year makes on the perceived importance of Finley.  Seemed many fans were ready to run him out of town last year.

It is amazing what happens when you "mostly" shut up and just play.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #626 on: October 21, 2013, 08:52:39 AM »

And stop dropping the ball.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #627 on: October 21, 2013, 09:45:13 AM »
What's funny about the Bears (to me at least) is I had no feel whatsoever for them going into the year, and even through the first few weeks. Overall which (I should have known) meant they had 8-8 written all over them.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #628 on: October 21, 2013, 09:47:54 AM »
Bears are done. Even without Cutler injury, that defense got really bad, really fast. Even if they got into the playoffs it isn't going to matter.

Packers seem to be the opposite, where their defense is looking legitimately good after stinking on ice the last couple years. They are really strong up front.

Twitter now seems to be saying that Finley "is going to be fine." Can't help but have some doubts though. That's a pretty scary injury. Losing him would be a massive loss.

Defensively, it all starts up front for the Bears (and for all Cover-2 teams). Their lack of depth on D has been completely exposed. They were already thin on the d-line before Melton got injured, now they're playing guys off the street, Wootton out of position and a not-fully-healthy Stephen Paea. All the o-line attention is going to Peppers who has lost a step anyway and McClellin is looking more and more like a bust (primarily because he's miscast as an every down DE). They didn't have much depth at corner either and their best DB (Tillman) hasn't been able to stay on the field and they lost their starting nickelback in the preseason. I never thought I'd see Cutler go down and have the Bears' D be a bigger concern than Josh McCown. The Bears next 3 games are at GB, vs. Detroit and vs. Baltimore. With a bad, injured D and a back-up QB, 4-3 could become 4-6 very quickly.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #629 on: October 21, 2013, 09:52:51 AM »
Defensively, it all starts up front for the Bears (and for all Cover-2 teams). Their lack of depth on D has been completely exposed. They were already thin on the d-line before Melton got injured, now they're playing guys off the street, Wootton out of position and a not-fully-healthy Stephen Paea. All the o-line attention is going to Peppers who has lost a step anyway and McClellin is looking more and more like a bust (primarily because he's miscast as an every down DE). They didn't have much depth at corner either and their best DB (Tillman) hasn't been able to stay on the field and they lost their starting nickelback in the preseason. I never thought I'd see Cutler go down and have the Bears' D be a bigger concern than Josh McCown. The Bears next 3 games are at GB, vs. Detroit and vs. Baltimore. With a bad, injured D and a back-up QB, 4-3 could become 4-6 very quickly.

And still jackasses on the radio were attributing it in some capacity to Cutler last night and hoping for a good draft pick to draft someone out of this QB class.  I'm as big of Bears fan as you can be and I still can't listen to post-loss radio without almost having a coronary.

Yesterday was frustrating, the rest of the season will be even moreso depending on the length of time Cutler is out.  And like Merritt said, its weird having the D be a bigger issue, but I hope it is heavily addressed in the offseason as I'm more content with the offense than I've been in a LONG time.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #630 on: October 21, 2013, 10:01:20 AM »
And still jackasses on the radio were attributing it in some capacity to Cutler last night and hoping for a good draft pick to draft someone out of this QB class. 

Well, to be fair, that is something they have to consider regardless of what happens the rest of this year. They will likely franchise him, but they have a tough decision coming up. This injury certainly isn't going to make it any easier.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #631 on: October 21, 2013, 10:35:55 AM »
What a day of wreckage yesterday. Bradford, Wayne, Doug Martin, Leon Hall, Cushing, all done for the year. Probably will add Cutler to that list shortly as well. TBD on Finley.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #632 on: October 21, 2013, 11:17:37 AM »
What a day of wreckage yesterday. Bradford, Wayne, Doug Martin, Leon Hall, Cushing, all done for the year. Probably will add Cutler to that list shortly as well. TBD on Finley.

If Cutler really is finished for the year, it would be nice if the Bears had a young QB that they could throw out there to see if he could play.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #633 on: October 21, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »
If Cutler really is finished for the year, it would be nice if the Bears had a young QB that they could throw out there to see if he could play.

Would be interesting if Freeman was available to them today.

Vikes are basically giving him a tryout. The Bears could do something similar and it would give them some options in the off season with Cutler.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #634 on: October 21, 2013, 11:28:14 AM »
Would be interesting if Freeman was available to them today.

Vikes are basically giving him a tryout. The Bears could do something similar and it would give them some options in the off season with Cutler.

Tebow

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #635 on: October 21, 2013, 11:42:01 AM »

Tebow

I'm lighting myself on fire now.

BTW, Briggs out 4-6 weeks.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #636 on: October 21, 2013, 11:44:11 AM »

And stop dropping the ball.

And when you lose your #2 and #3 WRs. Finley's versatility was a big help the past couple weeks.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #637 on: October 21, 2013, 12:12:19 PM »
BTW, Briggs out 4-6 weeks.

Bad. Briggs lined up the D and was the clear leader. If Tillman can't play, I have no idea who will lead the D now.

Dish - will Greene get the minutes in place of Briggs? If so, could be good to get the rookie some minutes

Dish - Also, michael wright just tweeted that there will be roster moves shortly. any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:13:53 PM by jesmu84 »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #638 on: October 21, 2013, 12:32:46 PM »
Radio reporting 4 weeks for Cutler.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #639 on: October 21, 2013, 12:35:44 PM »
Radio reporting 4 weeks for Cutler.

Mis-leading, there is zero chance he's back in 4 weeks. None.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #640 on: October 21, 2013, 12:36:57 PM »
It looks like Greene and Bostic will be starting.

McCown will be the QB, I think he will do OK - as in all he will do is run the system efficiently.

It doesn't matter who the QB is, you can't rebuild a defense mid-year and with Briggs out - the D won't be stopping anyone.

Trestman news conference happening soon (now) with Emery to follow.  I guess we'll find out about these "roster changes".

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #641 on: October 21, 2013, 12:40:39 PM »
Bad. Briggs lined up the D and was the clear leader. If Tillman can't play, I have no idea who will lead the D now.

Dish - will Greene get the minutes in place of Briggs? If so, could be good to get the rookie some minutes

Dish - Also, michael wright just tweeted that there will be roster moves shortly. any ideas?

Roster change is Palmer signing.

Most likely Greene, they have the bye to look at street FA's, but stick a fork in the Bears, they're done.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #642 on: October 21, 2013, 12:50:29 PM »
Mis-leading, there is zero chance he's back in 4 weeks. None.

Tribune now reporting at least 4 weeks.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #643 on: October 21, 2013, 02:32:54 PM »
Magical season for the Vikes! Skol Vikings! Big win on tap
for tonight. Enjoy watching us tonight.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #644 on: October 21, 2013, 03:57:40 PM »
Tribune now reporting at least 4 weeks.

What sucks is that when he's potentially back in 6 weeks, it's going to be an onslaught of stupidity about how Cutler was late coming back from injury, didn't want to play, can't play hurt, blah blah

MU82

• All American
« Reply #645 on: October 21, 2013, 03:59:38 PM »
Well, to be fair, that is something they have to consider regardless of what happens the rest of this year. They will likely franchise him, but they have a tough decision coming up. This injury certainly isn't going to make it any easier.

This actually could work out quite well for Cutler.

Often, people don't appreciate what they have until they no longer have it.

After McCown (predictably) reverts to his norm, Cutler will look even better in absentia.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:33:17 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #646 on: October 21, 2013, 04:00:35 PM »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #647 on: October 21, 2013, 04:01:17 PM »
What sucks is that when he's potentially back in 6 weeks, it's going to be an onslaught of stupidity about how Cutler was late coming back from injury, didn't want to play, can't play hurt, blah blah

In the meantime McCown has a couple good games, and he is anointed as the next great Bears QB....just like Caleb Hanie.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #648 on: October 21, 2013, 04:10:39 PM »
Correction, Hanie had 1 good half.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #649 on: October 21, 2013, 04:34:41 PM »

We feel so bad for you.

Sincerely,
Packers fans of 2010 and 2013
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback