[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129154 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #8050 on: September 02, 2020, 07:44:10 AM »
The reason I asked is because there is such a wide variation of cases in many places. Some can be explained by the day of the week, but I have been watching hospitalizations, positivity rates, and deaths rather than zeroing in on cases.

Jockey,
FWIW - Statewide hospitalization totals here have been in the 50 to 60 range for awhile. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8051 on: September 02, 2020, 10:04:45 AM »
Already some interesting results, but obviously a lot more data needed:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/88076

Personally I'm intrigued by this one. This drug came up in some of my own research/screens as a possible therapeutic.

Also, more data today showing a likely connection between the ACE2/Bradykinin axis.

https://elemental.medium.com/a-supercomputer-analyzed-covid-19-and-an-interesting-new-theory-has-emerged-31cb8eba9d63

edit: Sorry Lenny, didn't see your post. Been swamped lately, didn't mean to repost.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 02:05:09 PM by forgetful »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8052 on: September 02, 2020, 01:55:54 PM »
We are beginning to see the effects of the Sturgis rally...and the SD State Fair begins on Thursday.

Weeks after Sturgis motorcycle rally, first COVID-19 death reported as cases accelerate in Midwest

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/weeks-after-sturgis-motorcycle-rally-first-covid-19-death-reported-n1239088

Some 260 cases across 11 states had already been recorded before the first death linked to the Sturgis bash, a sometimes raucous event that ran from Aug. 7 through 16 during which the bars were packed and where there was barely any attempt made at social distancing, let alone wearing masks.

Since then, the number of coronavirus cases have doubled in South Dakota and there has been an uptick in new cases being reported in neighboring North Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska as well, the latest NBC News Digital figures show.

The first death tied to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is reported in Minnesota.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/02/world/covid-19-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage#link-76345029

South Dakota as a whole has reported more than 2,000 new cases in the past week, setting single-day records several times, according to a New York Times database.

Despite the surge of cases in South Dakota, Gov. Kristi Noem has said she has no plans to tighten restrictions in the state or issue a mask order.

“I won’t be changing my recommendations that I can see in the near future,” Ms. Noem, a Republican, said at the Sioux Falls Rotary Club on Monday. “I think this where we expected to be. None of this is a surprise, and we will continue to evaluate and see what the future looks like.”

Another mass event, the South Dakota State Fair, is scheduled to open in Huron, S.D., on Thursday and last through Labor Day. “Exposure to Covid-19 is an inherent risk in any public location where people are present,” the fair warns on its website, adding, “By visiting the South Dakota State Fairgrounds, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to Covid-19.”

---------------

Surging cases, a clear example of what can go wrong at a mass gathering, another mass gathering coming up, and no mask mandate. What could possibly go wrong?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8053 on: September 02, 2020, 01:59:50 PM »
Personally I'm intrigued by this one. This drug came up in some of my own research/screens as a possible therapeutic.

Also, more data today showing a likely connection between the ACE2/Bradykinin axis.

https://elemental.medium.com/a-supercomputer-analyzed-covid-19-and-an-interesting-new-theory-has-emerged-31cb8eba9d63

Yeah, Lenny posted that article a little while ago.  SUPER interesting stuff.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8054 on: September 02, 2020, 08:31:46 PM »
New top trump Covid advisor (from Fox News, of course) is calling for herd immunity in the US. WH is considering it. At a 1% mortality rate, that would amount to over 2,000,000 deaths.

With so many scandals at the same time, this isn’t being covered - despite the fact that its implementation could kill 2 million people.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #8055 on: September 02, 2020, 08:52:07 PM »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #8056 on: September 02, 2020, 09:21:04 PM »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8057 on: September 02, 2020, 10:11:38 PM »
"Sent Home to Die"

New Orleans, Louisiana.

https://www.propublica.org/article/sent-home-to-die/amp?__twitter_impression=true

The interviews revealed a striking pattern: Before they died, about two dozen patients first sought care at a hospital, which then discharged them, in many cases sending them home to die with hospice care. All were Black

That’s right. ALL were black.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8058 on: September 03, 2020, 06:36:12 AM »

The interviews revealed a striking pattern: Before they died, about two dozen patients first sought care at a hospital, which then discharged them, in many cases sending them home to die with hospice care. All were Black

That’s right. ALL were black.

And yet people are surprised at this administration’s stance on the pandemic.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8059 on: September 03, 2020, 11:24:52 AM »
"They are dying. That's right. It is what it is."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8060 on: September 03, 2020, 12:01:04 PM »
I take no responsibility at all.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8061 on: September 03, 2020, 12:03:03 PM »
I'm halfway through this read in the September copy of The Atlantic.
Very scathing and very detailed on everything the Trump Administration has done wrong which is basically everything.
(A long read.)

How the Pandemic Defeated America
A virus has brought the world’s most powerful country to its knees.

Story by Ed Yong
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/09/coronavirus-american-failure/614191/

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8062 on: September 03, 2020, 02:19:19 PM »
Sorry, I’m not meaning in his case, I’m meaning like people getting myocarditis is something specific to COVID when it’s not uncommon in other viral/bacterial situations. Close to half a million cases of myocarditis/pericarditis in the US annually. That’s all

Well this seems crazy high but I guess it could explain why Big Ten made their call.

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/article245448050.html

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8063 on: September 03, 2020, 02:27:56 PM »
Well this seems crazy high but I guess it could explain why Big Ten made their call.

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/article245448050.html

We have had multiple athletes in sports recover from Covid, and it doesn't seem like this is a major issue at all.  I think the B10 was too hasty with its decision.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #8064 on: September 03, 2020, 03:11:03 PM »

We have had multiple athletes in sports recover from Covid, and it doesn't seem like this is a major issue at all.  I think the B10 was too hasty with its decision.

It’s not the doctors that scare the Big Ten, it’s the lawsuits.  If one kid dies from a heart condition that was exasperated from Covid, everyone will be in court.  Unlike professional sports where a union forged a working agreement with the leagues, the universities can’t do the same because of the need to protect amateurism.  All it takes is one kid and the whole thing will blow up
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8065 on: September 03, 2020, 03:14:39 PM »

So you think a 30-35% rate of myocarditis wasn't worthy of a decision to postpone?

For all we know, some of the 'recovered' athletes may have (currently) asymptomatic heart or lung damage that was never diagnosed, and PSU might have found something that others didn't think to look for because they were asymptomatic.

And remember - something that's asymptomatic today might become life-treating down the road....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8066 on: September 03, 2020, 03:20:53 PM »
This is consistent with other studies about long term affects for both symptomatic and asymptomatic COVID patients.   All it really is is another blow to the lie that 'Rona doesn't affect the young.

This has to be the stake in the heart of the B1G's attempt to play football this fall.

It will only take one 350 lb lineman to drop dead.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 03:33:04 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8067 on: September 03, 2020, 03:58:36 PM »
Myocarditis can result from literally any viral infection, not just Covid-19. So the question is, does Myocarditis occur more, less, or same for Covid as it does for other viral infections. The fact that it occurs with Covid is almost a non-story. If it occurs more, there is concern, same or less just make sure you are testing for Covid and if you are positive follow up a cardiologist before allowing the player to return to the field.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8068 on: September 03, 2020, 04:25:24 PM »
Myocarditis can result from literally any viral infection, not just Covid-19. So the question is, does Myocarditis occur more, less, or same for Covid as it does for other viral infections. The fact that it occurs with Covid is almost a non-story. If it occurs more, there is concern, same or less just make sure you are testing for Covid and if you are positive follow up a cardiologist before allowing the player to return to the field.

I agree with this completely other than ‘this is a non story’. Personally I thought 35% seems almost unrealistically high.  But it makes sense to figure it out before  plowing ahead. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8069 on: September 03, 2020, 04:38:57 PM »
I agree with this completely other than ‘this is a non story’. Personally I thought 35% seems almost unrealistically high.  But it makes sense to figure it out before  plowing ahead.

Yeah, let me rephrase....its a wildly incomplete story without other information
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8070 on: September 03, 2020, 04:45:41 PM »

Agreed. It is definitely a story. Whether it’s 35% or 15%, it still seems to be a lot higher than with many viral illnesses. And the fact that it might occur even in asymptomatic patients is particularly frightening.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8071 on: September 03, 2020, 05:55:19 PM »

Agreed. It is definitely a story. Whether it’s 35% or 15%, it still seems to be a lot higher than with many viral illnesses. And the fact that it might occur even in asymptomatic patients is particularly frightening.

But again, not exceptional.   A friend of mine had myocarditis he got from a cold, not a particularly nasty cold, just some sniffles and congestion for a week that could have been allergies.  But he had an already scheduled physical a week or two later and it came up during his exam and was diagnosed.

Again, its potentially very serious and not something to mess around with, but its presentation as it relates to COVID is nothing out of the norm and keeps being presented with incomplete or conjecture based conclusions.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8072 on: September 03, 2020, 06:12:39 PM »
But again, not exceptional.   A friend of mine had myocarditis he got from a cold, not a particularly nasty cold, just some sniffles and congestion for a week that could have been allergies.  But he had an already scheduled physical a week or two later and it came up during his exam and was diagnosed.

Again, its potentially very serious and not something to mess around with, but its presentation as it relates to COVID is nothing out of the norm and keeps being presented with incomplete or conjecture based conclusions.

The interesting thing about the virus is that other than it’s transmission rate and  difficulty to detect spreaders, much of this virus impacts are not unique to being ‘a virus’.  Including what’s been discovered on immunity, reinfection, etc.  all predictable.

Yet here we are 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8073 on: September 03, 2020, 06:13:18 PM »

Agreed...but given the potential seriousness, it seems we ought to know before we get back to discretionary things like sports and such. And given some of the relatively unique stuff to this virus like asymptomatic spread (and asymptomatic lung and myocardial damage), all the more reason for caution.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 06:15:34 PM by GooooMarquette »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8074 on: September 03, 2020, 06:50:38 PM »

Agreed...but given the potential seriousness, it seems we ought to know before we get back to discretionary things like sports and such. And given some of the relatively unique stuff to this virus like asymptomatic spread (and asymptomatic lung and myocardial damage), all the more reason for caution.

Also, FWIW, this story has turned out to be completely false, walked back by the doctor, and no PSU athletes diagnosed with COVID have been diagnosed with myocarditis.

feedback