Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Basketball: How Golden Eagles Can Get Back into the Big Dance  (Read 5467 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Marquette Basketball: How Golden Eagles Can Get Back into the Big Dance

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1932228-marquette-basketball-how-golden-eagles-can-get-back-into-the-big-dance

With an 11-8 overall record, including a 3-3 clip in Big East play, Marquette currently sits squarely outside the NCAA Tournament field. The Golden Eagles were the favorites going into the new Big East's inaugural season, but now appear to be a middle of the pack squad.

After blowing a 12-point second-half lead to Butler on Saturday, the Golden Eagles responded with a late comeback of their own on Monday evening, defeating the Georgetown Hoyas (80-72). Both games went into overtime, so a split on the road isn't the end of the world, although both games were there for the taking.

Buzz Williams' squad has 12 games on their remaining schedule; seven of which will be played in Milwaukee, while the remaining five come on the road. Following the St. John's game on March 8, the Golden Eagles will travel to New York City to take part in the 10-team Big East Tournament.

Projected Results

vs. Villanova W

vs. Providence W

@ St. John's W

vs. Butler W

@ Seton Hall W

vs. Xavier W

vs. Creighton W

@ DePaul W

vs. Georgetown W

@ Villanova L

@ Providence L

vs. St John's W

First things first, the Golden Eagles must continue to protect their home court. MU hasn't lost a home conference game since 2011 and seven more home wins this season would continue that streak. While it won't be easy, every team in the Big East is beatable and vulnerable away from their home court. This attempted winning streak will start Saturday, as the fourth-ranked Villanova Wildcats come to the BMO Harris Bank Center.

Marquette notched only their second road win of the season on Monday in Washington D.C. Todd Mayo's game-tying three-pointer sent the game into overtime, where freshman backup point guard John Dawson carried the workload. Steve Taylor Jr. was also a pleasant surprise, nearly double-doubling with 14 points and nine rebounds.

On the road, Marquette would need to win three of their five battles in order to post a 20-11 (13-5 Big East) record before the Big East Tournament tips off. After receiving a bye on Wednesday, Marquette would do themselves a huge favor by winning their Thursday quarterfinal matchup, or even better, winning again on Friday and reaching the championship game on Saturday.

While the outcomes of the above games may figure differently, it is simply a blueprint for what Marquette must accomplish from here on out. A 13-5 Big East record should get them back to the Big Dance, while a 12-6 league mark gives them a chance.

By reaching the above win total, Marquette would likely finish in the top four of the Big East, which will likely get three to five teams into the NCAA Tournament. This would also give Marquette some quality wins, ideally over the likes of Villanova, Creighton and Xavier, among others.

Williams can continue to use a starting five of Derrick Wilson, Jake Thomas, Jamil Wilson, Davante Gardner and Chris Otule. However, Dawson, Taylor Jr. and Mayo could be late game options on the offensive end, while Juan Anderson will be utilized as a late-game defensive stopper. Deonte Burton and JaJuan Johnson's minutes could remain limited, as Williams has favored his upperclassmen to freshmen in most scenarios throughout the season.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Marquette Basketball: How Golden Eagles Can Get Back into the Big Dance
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 09:55:14 PM »
BR projecting a 10 game win streak for us? Dang! That's is very friendly. And I'm like the most hopeless optimist on this board.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 09:59:20 PM »
Well the story is how MU can get in the big dance and their expert analysis is a 10 game winning streak, starting with beating #4 Nova.

What insight!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 12:00:28 AM »
I thought Bleacher Reports were immoral or hateful or not allowed?

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 08:44:17 AM »
I thought Bleacher Reports were immoral or hateful or not allowed?

Only if you believe in things like credibility.  Still if you say things that I like to hear, I might just click through your 13 point slide presentation.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 09:00:13 AM »
Gotta love the optimism.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »
10, we're in? Doable! Go MU!!!

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 09:32:35 AM »
Considering we haven't won more than 2 games in a row all season, this is incredibly optimistic.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 09:39:58 AM »
Hate to be debbie downer. I don't see any consistency with this team that leads to a 10 game winning streak. Mayo misses that shot and this board is in full melt down.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 09:45:46 AM »
This team has had two truly bad losses.   It has been close (within 2 possessions) late in 6 of their losses.   A bounce here, 2 stops there, a shot goes in, a healthy Taylor, an un-suspended Mayo, a senior stepping up, consistent free throws.......     as frustrating as this team has been it is not that far from being 14-4 right now.    So if everybody stays healthy and everybody finally gets on the same page from an effort standpoint....  I am staying with 13-5 in league. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 09:51:08 AM »
This team has had two truly bad losses.   It has been close (within 2 possessions) late in 6 of their losses.   A bounce here, 2 stops there, a shot goes in, a healthy Taylor, an un-suspended Mayo, a senior stepping up, consistent free throws.......     as frustrating as this team has been it is not that far from being 14-4 right now.    So if everybody stays healthy and everybody finally gets on the same page from an effort standpoint....  I am staying with 13-5 in league. 

I agree with you. But when you consistently don't hit the shot, get the bounce, hit the FTs, get a stop, etc. that is the mark of an average team. Mayo did step up, hopefully that will be the spark.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 10:03:01 AM »
Time for a trip in the ol' Way Back Machine:

Well the story is how MU can get in the big dance and their expert analysis is a 10 game winning streak, starting with beating #4 Nova.

What insight!!!
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=17526.0

Considering we haven't won more than 2 games in a row all season, this is incredibly optimistic.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=17435.0

Hate to be debbie downer. I don't see any consistency with this team that leads to a 10 game winning streak. Mayo misses that shot and this board is in full melt down.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=17515.0.msg173184#msg173184

10, we're in? Doable! Go MU!!!
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=37329.msg472474#msg472474
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 10:28:36 AM »

I'm a pretty optimistic guy but also pretty realistic. Yes, everything you say here is true. We also could have lost to Georgetown, Seton Hall and DePaul. Hell, a few bounces go against us and we could have lost to Southern and/or New Hampshire!

At 11-8, we are what we should be. We haven't played well enough to deserve better and we haven't played badly enough to deserve worse.

It's all about what we do from here, anyway. And yes, I agree with you that there is reason for optimism, especially if we take out Nova on Saturday.

Go Warriors!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 11:20:34 AM »
Time for a trip in the ol' Way Back Machine:

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=37329.msg472474#msg472474

That Davidson thread is great.  I wonder what new screen name did "46-47warriorcaptain" become after he "deactivated" his account?  Lot of choices.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 11:31:38 AM »

Not very close either....considering 14-4 at this point is impossible :))))))
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 11:32:53 AM »
Yeah, stupid fat fingers typing.   I meant 15-4.    Benny B, thank you for the trip in the way back machine.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 11:48:07 AM »
That Davidson thread is great.  I wonder what new screen name did "46-47warriorcaptain" become after he "deactivated" his account?  Lot of choices.

and monkeyman. both annoying

chapman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 11:56:17 AM »

What insight!!!

"Expert" in this case, being Jake Ryan, from State Farm.  Literally.  Maybe the JS can pick him up to replace Hunt if his prediction comes true.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 12:14:28 PM »
Yeah, stupid fat fingers typing.   I meant 15-4.    Benny B, thank you for the trip in the way back machine.   

No problem... we don't necessarily need Brew77's December 2012 optimism here, but let's not forget that we've been in this situation before, and it's turned out just fine.  On second thought, maybe we should forget about it; after all, those who fail history are doomed to repeat it. 

I, for one, would be ecstatic to be doomed to repeating anything from the past 3-4 years right now.

In Buzz We Trust.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jsheim

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
21-11,21-12,21-13 = in
20-12= in
20-13,20-14=out
19-13,14,15=out

Unless we win the BE tourney need 20 wins (or 19 and tourney finals).

That means 12-6 minimum BE season.
so 9-3 going forward. Really need nova win. Critical.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 10:23:45 PM »
21-11,21-12,21-13 = in
20-12= in
20-13,20-14=out
19-13,14,15=out

Unless we win the BE tourney need 20 wins (or 19 and tourney finals).

That means 12-6 minimum BE season.
so 9-3 going forward. Really need nova win. Critical.

No one disagrees with you here.

I just can't wait to see how MUScoop will react if Saturday doesn't go as planned.
SS Marquette