Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: In a league of stars we have none...  (Read 5638 times)

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
In a league of stars we have none...
« on: January 23, 2010, 03:16:51 PM »
Acker, Cubi would start for no other BE team.

cubi guarded Johnson aloowing him to put up Oscar Robertson type numbers

Butler has regressed to a complimentary player, his line will look ok becuase he scored 7 points in garbage time but has been none existant for 2-3 weeks.  

Hayward needs to pass out of the double team he forces the ball when double teamed despite a wide open teamate on the opposite block almost everytime.  Additionally, when he forces it up against the double team it is typically an unorthodox circus shot.  the next time one of those circus short armed shots goes in it will be the first.

DJO is the only potential star on this team right now.  He needs to look to pass off his drive a little more he too draws the double team yet almost always shoots.  he had open cutters left open from help defenders if he develops a better eye for them he could be great.  Lastly, DJO needs to shoot more...rotating the ball time after time from Djo to cubi for a shot is not in this teams best interests.

Junior will be very very very good anothe r poster said it...he  the ball moves exponentially faster for us when he is in there.  great passing ability now he just needs to be passing to better players
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 03:20:16 PM by MR.HAYWARD »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: In a league of stars we have none...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 03:19:17 PM »
You're on ignore so I have no idea what you wrote, but I'm just happy you are still alive after this week's basketball results.

Judging by your headline, you say we have no stars.  This is odd, considering the top recruiting classes you kept telling us about.  Plus we have a preseason all Big East first team player on the squad.  I'd argue we have some very good players, even one star (Hayward) but are missing the depth at some key positions.  Plus we don't have a stud guard, which is what college basketball is all about.

Again, great to see you are alive and well

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 03:21:06 PM »
Acker, Cubi would start for no other BE team. 

Butler has regressed to a complimentary player, his line will look ok becuase he scored 7 points in garbage time but has been none existant for 2-3 weeks. 

Hayward needs to pass out of the double team he forces the ball when double teamed despite a wide open teamate on the opposite block almost everytime.  Additionally, when he forces it up against the double team it is typically an unorthodox circus shot.  the next time one of those circus short armed shots goes in it will be the first.

DJO is the only potential star on this team right now.  He needs to look to pass off his drive a little more he too draws the double team yet almost always shoots.  he had open cutters left open from help defenders if he develops a better eye for them he could be great.  Lastly, DJO needs to shoot more...rotating the ball time after time from Djo to cubi for a shot is not in this teams best interests.

Junior will be very very very good anothe rposter said it the ball moves exponentially faster for us when he is in there great passing ability now he just needs to be passing to better players

You can call Butler's points garbage, but his points got us back in the game. The real problem is that we have no inside game--it is mostly perimeter. DJO can create his points.

By the way, the two midgets played at the same time for about 27 minutes in this  game. That is another problem.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 03:21:25 PM »
Agreed, no BE team would start a PG who just had 12 points, 6 assists and 1 TO against the #5 team in the country.

MarqBB77-03

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 03:24:19 PM »
How do you define a star?  If you mean a stop 5 NBA draft choice, you are correct.  However, if you mean a star college player.  We have Lazar, a developing Johnson, Butler and Cadougan.
"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."  Al McGuire

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 03:41:06 PM »
Agreed, no BE team would start a PG who just had 12 points, 6 assists and 1 TO against the #5 team in the country.

Acker's plus/minus has to be awful though. He hit some open threes today because the defense is more worried about Jimmy and Lazar. He is a defensive liability. Period. I like the kid's hustle and heart, but he simply does not have the size to make enough of an impact on both sides of the ball.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 03:49:28 PM »
Hayward is a star.  But, he is playing the 5.  End of story.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 03:52:18 PM »
How do you define a star?  If you mean a stop 5 NBA draft choice, you are correct.  However, if you mean a star college player.  We have Lazar, a developing Johnson, Butler and Cadougan.

Hayward is not a star ..he is a very good player that is further limited by being undersized.  I disagree when peopel say he is forced to play the 4 due to the teams lack of size.  he does not have the skills of a 3.  He is avery good undersized 4.  

I think johnson is budding but not yet a star too many mistakes, needs to pass better, needs to play better defense, needs to make Ft's.  

Butler has disappeared for the last 3 weeks, yes he had the late points but where was he when the game was being decided?  the last 4 minutes in the first half the huge stretch when syracuse went up 15?  where was he against Depaul.  he has had the tendency to diappear over the last 3 weeks.

Cadougan a star?  he is not a star yet.

My point was the top teams have stars, ie big time players.  we simply do not have the top players nor the depth of talent that the top 6 or so teams in the BE have.    Play like hell and battle just not good enough.

i rarely post after a loss  notice the depaul game I satyed away.  too many lunatics after a loss on the board.  but its just evident Syracuse was basically betetr than us at every position as was Villanova.  georgetown too.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 03:54:58 PM »
You're on ignore so I have no idea what you wrote, but I'm just happy you are still alive after this week's basketball results.

Judging by your headline, you say we have no stars.  This is odd, considering the top recruiting classes you kept telling us about.  Plus we have a preseason all Big East first team player on the squad.  I'd argue we have some very good players, even one star (Hayward) but are missing the depth at some key positions.  Plus we don't have a stud guard, which is what college basketball is all about.

chicos i am gald you have me on ignore.  here is an idea for you if you have me on ignore then suht the F up

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 03:56:21 PM »

chicos i am gald you have me on ignore.  here is an idea for you if you have me on ignore then suht the F up
A truly classy post..... >:(

chapman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 03:56:37 PM »
If DJO can put together a full game he has a chance.  He is only a sophomore after all.  But sometimes he looks like a star, other times just awful.  Unfortunately 10 minutes of brilliance every other game is a long way away from being a star.  

Butler will never be a star.  We cannot even look to him to be "the guy" next year like Hayward is trying to be this year because he's not assertive and never plays like he wants to be the guy who brings home a W.  Almost wish he would be a complete ball hog, but with the way he disappears on the court he's a third or fourth option.  If we had any size or depth the sixth man is the perfect role for him.  Buzz had Butler pegged perfectly-a good player, not a great player.

Looking forward to seeing more of Cadougan as he gets his minutes up.  Also, hopefully getting EWill some playing time so at the very least he can get off the bench and give 7 minutes next year.  As far as a star, Cadougan might be, but who knows?  Maybe at the end of the year we'll know if he's going to be next year, or has a long way to go.  Though some will be talking tournament if we manage to win a road game and win 4 of our next 5 I'd be more pleased just to see some players get experience for next year so if a star does emerge he has a supporting cast that isn't new to everything it sees.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »
champan i agree 100% with your entire post. 

DJO is too young to be counted on as our simple stud this year but shows the best chances of being that star we will need going forward, as in next year.

I stated it a number of times throughout the year that Buycks is the X - factor for us.  If he can play at the high level that he has shown flasshes of we can be very good.  Unfortunately he has played so badly that Cubi has been getting the bulk of the playing time.  We cannot win with Cubi and Acker out there.  We can win with Buycks playing at a high level and Acker.  Buycks showed what he could do for about a 5 minute stretch today.  Unfortunately he wa sterrible the rest of the time.  Buycks turnover against Depaul in our 3rd to last posession I thought was the play that lost the game, obviously the Ft and depauls 2 big shots killed us but if Buycks does not turn the ball over like that there is no time for all that other stuff to follow. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 04:09:34 PM »
Hayward is not a star ..he is a very good player that is further limited by being undersized.  I disagree when peopel say he is forced to play the 4 due to the teams lack of size.  he does not have the skills of a 3.  He is avery good undersized 4.  

Well said, along with the thoughts on DJO.  DJO definitely has the most potential to be a star.  My feeling all along has been that he is/will be the best player to wear an MU uniform since D-Wade.  Yes, by the time his career is over, if you compare with Soph, Jr and Sr. years against any of the Big 3 - he will prove to be the best since D-Wade.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »

"Well said, along with the thoughts on DJO.  DJO definitely has the most potential to be a star.  My feeling all along has been that he is/will be the best player to wear an MU uniform since D-Wade.  Yes, by the time his career is over, if you compare with Soph, Jr and Sr. years against any of the Big 3 - he will prove to be the best since D-Wade"

I agree on DJO  the problem we have is we need him to be a star right now and that is simply aton to ask of a first yera player.  he shows the glimpses of potential stardom.  but just not there yet.  I agree he could be an absolute star by his junior or senior year.  he does not possess Jerels lack of an iota of a basketball IQ and obviously shoots better than DJ. 

I also be leive Jimmy Butler could be really good but he seems to much a 6th man mind set.  He simply cannot allow this team to go possesstion after possesion with him simply not even touching the ball.  he needs to demand the ball, he is freaking deferring to Acker and Cubi possesion after possesion  some times you forget he is even in the game.  we need him too much for that to happen

Boone

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 04:43:09 PM »
Agree that Butler has regressed -- and on both ends. He took just 4 shots in 37 minutes vs. RuPaul. Given his shooting % he can afford to be way more aggressive offensively.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 04:57:23 PM »
Jimmy's played tentative ever since his arm/wrist injury when they thought he broke it.  JB needs to take over some of DJO's shots, for sure.  Will space out the entire offense.  DePaul jumped our perimeter on defense and so did SU in the 2nd half today.  When that happens it should signal "It's Jimmy Time".

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 06:40:05 PM »
Acker's plus/minus has to be awful though. He hit some open threes today because the defense is more worried about Jimmy and Lazar. He is a defensive liability. Period. I like the kid's hustle and heart, but he simply does not have the size to make enough of an impact on both sides of the ball.

Acker missed another crucial layup in the last minute. It would have been a 4 point game with about 50 seconds to go.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 07:50:38 PM »
Acker missed another crucial layup in the last minute. It would have been a 4 point game with about 50 seconds to go.

Man. That miss was HUGE considering Wesley missed a gimme dunk!

I was PISSED when I saw that...and knew that the upset was officially out the window. :(
SS Marquette

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 08:09:33 PM »

I actually have to agree with this...To say, "I have you on ignore, but here is my response to you is beyond weak."

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 08:13:21 PM »
Hayward is a star who is forced to guard and play against guys that could break him in half. DJO is not a star yet, but he certaily will be. That cat has talent, strength and athleticism. Needs to learn to play D.

Butler was pretty weak for the first 35 or so. I don't blame him necessary though. More a function of having to go up against guys 150% of his size.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 08:25:59 PM »
Butler is great when he has a good matchup.  There is simply no way he is going to be a major factor against a team like Syracuse.  He did get solidly rejected a couple times so I can't say he should have taken more shots.  DJO is becoming a star but needs to defend better.

Aside from the Georgetown game, Cubillan has contributed absolutely nothing on either end.  Yes, he was great in that game, but he needs to do more.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
‘I have no idea what you wrote. …’
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 09:12:10 PM »

ChicosBailBonds, you put MR.HAYWARD on “ignore” -- really lame -- and, thus, “have no idea what (he) wrote.”

Then you respond here to what you assume he has written?

Yours is one of the funniest, goofiest posts I have read at MUScoop.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 11:23:49 AM »
I actually have to agree with this...To say, "I have you on ignore, but here is my response to you is beyond weak."

I was just glad to see him alive and well.  I assumed he was in the fetal position or at the bottom of a cliff somewhere after this week.  Today could provide another pivotal day for him, hope his breathing techniques are taking hold.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 12:34:49 PM »
I was just glad to see him alive and well.  I assumed he was in the fetal position or at the bottom of a cliff somewhere after this week.  Today could provide another pivotal day for him, hope his breathing techniques are taking hold.It takes a very big man to show concern for his adversary.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:38:57 PM by Lennys Tap »

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 03:45:52 PM »
I was just glad to see him alive and well.  I assumed he was in the fetal position or at the bottom of a cliff somewhere after this week.  Today could provide another pivotal day for him, hope his breathing techniques are taking hold.It takes a very big man to show concern for his adversary.

alive and well ...I fully expected the Depaul game to be a battle.  Unlike some who stated the cupboard was left full the cupboard was actually not full.  Now that same person will say "what about Buzz's great recruitng"  Thats simply a par for the course stupid statement.  he has two classes one which is freshman and the other which is still in HS.  We are about where i fully expected us to be.  is that something to jump off a cliff over?  not really.

What i think though is pathetic is to make post after post about how great you are becuase you have some one on ignore yet you reply anyway.  it reaks of a loser who has nothing better to, does your wife hate you that much?  thats what she gets for marrying a short person.