MUScoop > The Superbar

White Sox/Bears Stadium Showdown

<< < (2/24) > >>

Skatastrophy:
I hope the bears move out of the city. They struggle to fill the stadium and block out the calendar for more interesting things at Soldier Field for the whole fall to protect the grass.

The Sox should build a stadium on their own dime in the 78, which will give them a wonderful accessible urban stadium. Bridgeport will be happy to recoup those parking lots segregating their neighborhood.

Win win win

Jockey:
Bears. Sox. Who cares.

I assume the Sox want a tax break to get the last few less-than-mediocre FAs on the market.

Pakuni:

--- Quote from: dgies9156 on February 16, 2024, 09:45:04 PM ---When I read of he current tax controversy with the Arlington Heights site, all I could think of was "Welcome to the Suburbs, Bears!"

Around Chicago, there are so many blood sucking school districts that I'm amazed at how real estate values could appreciate at all. In my old suburb, we had an $87 million surplus so the district did the one thing every competitive suburban school district should do -- build a $27 million swimming pool! In many communities, they'd rebate the surplus back to the property tax payers. But, NOT IN ILLINOIS!!!

The Bears ran into the school district tax problem big time and if they build a stadium, it will only get worse. The Bears know it, which is why they're shopping for a new home in the city. I'm not sure dealing with Mayor Brandon is a good idea but, who knows?

If I were the Bears, I'd start growing corn on the property and get an agriculture exemption. Or find some other permitted use that will tax exempt the property?

Ministry anyone?????? Be a nice tax deduction! Joel Osteen could move to Arlington Heights!

Years ago, when the Bears and R2D2 (Richard II, or the kid) were negotiating for the reconstruction of Soldier Field into a giant, obsolete toilet seat, the late Mikey McCaskey threatened to move the Bears to Buffington Harbor, IN (Gary, for all you uninformed, non-gamblers). I'm beginning to think the Bears wished they'd called R2D2s bluff and actually moved there!

--- End quote ---

Bears paid $197 million for the property and want it valued at $60 million for tax purposes for the next 40 years.
But yeah, it's the school districts that are greedy.

JWags85:

--- Quote from: DegenerateDish on February 16, 2024, 07:33:26 PM ---The “day in the life” article on Kevin Warren (right around Christmas on the Bears site) was one of the stupidest things I’ve ever read.

--- End quote ---

It was horrible and really bizarre.  And honestly it read like a puff piece for a religious magazine "How an NFL Team President Lets Faith Guide Gameday" which just feels odd for a team website piece.  And given everything going on with the Bears, the whole article was just like "why?"

Lennys Tap:

--- Quote from: Pakuni on February 16, 2024, 10:29:31 PM ---Bears paid $197 million for the property and want it valued at $60 million for tax purposes for the next 40 years.
But yeah, it's the school districts that are greedy.

--- End quote ---

What was the tax bill on the property the year before the Bear’s bought it? What’s the new tax bill AH is proposing?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version