collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Washington rids itself of sexist language  (Read 94313 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Washington rids itself of sexist language
« Reply #225 on: August 24, 2013, 12:06:08 AM »
You do realize that there was a tremendous push by certain individuals to say in the other case it was race based...right?  I'd be happy to give you hundreds of quotes and articles that suggest it was race motivated, despite the facts that showed otherwise or ATL's head in the sand.  So I ask, in these new cases why the media and these particular individuals in question haven't come to that same conclusion.  Weird.  

Or is it that when a minority is killed by a "white person" (including a White Hispanic) it is racist until proven otherwise, but when a white person is killed by a minority it's just "senseless violence"?  I think that is a fair question to ask in light of the nonsense from the other case and how the media and certain individuals pushed their agenda.  Is the default mechanism automatically IT MUST BE RACE for one group, but just chalk it up to senseless violence for the other.  Hmm. 

Dude.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #226 on: August 24, 2013, 12:14:34 AM »
I know you didn't say that.  But that is the reason why their isn't as much uproar here.  This is senseless violence.  The other was a controversial case where a kid died and many claimed it was justified.

That because of controversy is news worthy.  The cases you are talking about now are not remotely comparable and should not be brought up in the same discussion.  Everyone agrees that the new cases are just senseless violence.  Universal agreement means no controversy...see how that works.

The correct individuals will go to jail and everyone will agree who the victim was.

And now we have the racism part coming into it....I'm sure Reverend Al will be all over this...oh wait, Rev Al is...he says no racism.  "Rev. Al Sharpton responded Thursday to calls for him to address the Oklahoma murder of Australian student athlete Chris Lane, saying he is not protesting because the killing was not racial and “the system worked.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/08/al-sharpton-chris-lane-murder-oklahoma-95834.html#ixzz2crPNevCA

Hmm, makes you wonder if it wasn't racial why the suspect said this and this and this in the last week....yup, not racial...nothing to see here.

"90% of white ppl (people) are nasty. #HATE THEM."

"With my n****s when it's time to start taken life's"

etc, etc

http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/21/black-teen-who-murdered-australian-jogger-posted-racist-tweets/

You can't make this stuff up, you really can't.  Al says no racism here, but GZ was racist.  Truly amazing.

And Forgetful, please opine.  If an African American college baseball player was out for a jog and three white teens shot him in the back (cuz they were bored) along with posting racial tweets leading up to the event, what would be the coverage here in the press and the outrage level?  Same?  Second question, an African American WWII vet beaten with flashlights by several white kids...what would the reaction be? Same? How many stories would we have on the evening news about how deep racism is in this country...how many marches...how many protests? 

I think those are fair questions to ask and should be part of the bigger question as it relates to race, crime, etc.  If we want to solve racial issues in this country, we need to treat racial injustice (of all kinds) appropriately, not in a pick and choose scenarios that advance an agenda.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 12:59:50 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #227 on: August 24, 2013, 12:15:26 AM »
Dude.

Do you have another way to explain it...I give you Rev Al Sharpton's response today as exhibit A.  Please, I'm all ears after you read his comments.  I look forward to it.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #228 on: August 24, 2013, 01:07:28 AM »
Do you have another way to explain it...I give you Rev Al Sharpton's response today as exhibit A.  Please, I'm all ears after you read his comments.  I look forward to it.

"I protest when I’m called in and when there’s an injustice. The three were arrested, there was nothing to protest. The system worked there, and racial? Not only did the police not say it was racial, one of the three were white,” Sharpton said.

So as he says it, he protests when there is an injustice.  As he notes, all three were arrested and will go to jail...therefore no reason to protest.  He continues that the police said it was not racially motivated as one of the three involved in the attack was white.

Did one of the three make a racist tweet/comment yes.  Is he likely racist, yes.  Does that make the crime racially motivated, in this case likely no...as the kids said, they were bored and decided to kill someone...therefore senseless violence.

I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about this case and how it is fundamentally different than the one you are trying very hard to relate it to.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #229 on: August 24, 2013, 01:21:06 AM »
Actually you should credit Sharpton for not getting involved.  The two black teens (age 15 and 16) are being charged as adults for first degree murder, even though only 1 shot was fired.  The white teen (age 17) is being charged as a juvenile offender (allows for weaker punishment) for accessory to commit murder after the fact and use of a vehicle to discharge a weapon.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #230 on: August 24, 2013, 07:32:34 AM »
And now we have the racism part coming into it....I'm sure Reverend Al will be all over this...oh wait, Rev Al is...he says no racism.  "Rev. Al Sharpton responded Thursday to calls for him to address the Oklahoma murder of Australian student athlete Chris Lane, saying he is not protesting because the killing was not racial and “the system worked.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/08/al-sharpton-chris-lane-murder-oklahoma-95834.html#ixzz2crPNevCA

Hmm, makes you wonder if it wasn't racial why the suspect said this and this and this in the last week....yup, not racial...nothing to see here.

"90% of white ppl (people) are nasty. #HATE THEM."

"With my n****s when it's time to start taken life's"

etc, etc

http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/21/black-teen-who-murdered-australian-jogger-posted-racist-tweets/

You can't make this stuff up, you really can't.  Al says no racism here, but GZ was racist.  Truly amazing.

And Forgetful, please opine.  If an African American college baseball player was out for a jog and three white teens shot him in the back (cuz they were bored) along with posting racial tweets leading up to the event, what would be the coverage here in the press and the outrage level?  Same?  Second question, an African American WWII vet beaten with flashlights by several white kids...what would the reaction be? Same? How many stories would we have on the evening news about how deep racism is in this country...how many marches...how many protests? 

I think those are fair questions to ask and should be part of the bigger question as it relates to race, crime, etc.  If we want to solve racial issues in this country, we need to treat racial injustice (of all kinds) appropriately, not in a pick and choose scenarios that advance an agenda.

You apparently have ZERO understanding of why there were protests surrounding the Trayvon Martin killing.  ZERO.  Stop making a fool of yourself.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #231 on: August 24, 2013, 10:00:19 AM »
“The racial double standard about who gets charged with a hate crime has been noticed by white people, and is not something that is going to advance race relations in America,” says Carol Swain, a Vanderbilt University law professor and author of “The New White Nationalism in America.”  The reality, she says, is that “governments continue to treat black-on-white crimes as plain old crimes, and whenever there’s the reverse order, white-on-minority, there’s a great effort to find the racial motivation.”

BINGO.  Absolutely perfectly said.  You can't pick and choose.  I want racial equality as much as the next one, and that means treating these issues equally. 

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2013/0823/Chris-Lane-murder-Is-a-racist-dimension-of-the-crime-being-discounted

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #232 on: August 24, 2013, 12:22:44 PM »
"I protest when I’m called in and when there’s an injustice. The three were arrested, there was nothing to protest. The system worked there, and racial? Not only did the police not say it was racial, one of the three were white,” Sharpton said.

So as he says it, he protests when there is an injustice.  As he notes, all three were arrested and will go to jail...therefore no reason to protest.  He continues that the police said it was not racially motivated as one of the three involved in the attack was white.

Did one of the three make a racist tweet/comment yes.  Is he likely racist, yes.  Does that make the crime racially motivated, in this case likely no...as the kids said, they were bored and decided to kill someone...therefore senseless violence.

I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about this case and how it is fundamentally different than the one you are trying very hard to relate it to.

A few things.

Do you consider our POTUS an African American?  Most do inculding Al.  He is the son of white and black parents...so is suspect three...I find that interesting that the Rev has a different qualification now.

Secondly....if GZ had racial tweets like these kids did, would the media, and more important Al say he was a racist!  Hmm...I wonder....actually I don't, he would be labeled as such immediately.

The Christian Science Monitor article is brave enough to address the absolute hypocrisy and double standard.  It is beyond ridiculous. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #233 on: August 24, 2013, 12:42:01 PM »
A few things.

Do you consider our POTUS an African American?  Most do inculding Al.  He is the son of white and black parents...so is suspect three...I find that interesting that the Rev has a different qualification now.

Secondly....if GZ had racial tweets like these kids did, would the media, and more important Al say he was a racist!  Hmm...I wonder....actually I don't, he would be labeled as such immediately.

The Christian Science Monitor article is brave enough to address the absolute hypocrisy and double standard.  It is beyond ridiculous.  

First of all, I haven't seen any reports that the third individual is of mixed race.  I think you are confusing the fact that in addition to the one suspect being 'white', suspect 2 (Luna) is of mixed race, his mother is White.  Everyone referred to him as being of african american decent, so all is well with the president.  Moreover, the third suspect, who is the only one who made a racist tweet (not all three did as you suggest) is dating a white girl.

So maybe there is nothing here to get all upset about.

As ATL said, I don't think you understand what the Martin case was actually about.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 12:44:43 PM by forgetful »

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #234 on: August 24, 2013, 01:11:06 PM »

"You apparently have ZERO understanding of why there were protests surrounding the Trayvon Martin killing.  ZERO.  Stop making a fool of yourself."

Do you know that most of the "protestors" were paid to  be there?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #235 on: August 24, 2013, 02:38:34 PM »
You apparently have ZERO understanding of why there were protests surrounding the Trayvon Martin killing.  ZERO.  Stop making a fool of yourself.

Back up there sunshine and look at what was said from DAY ONE about the killing.  Here's a little refresher course for you.

US Lawmakers condemn RACIALLY MOTIVATED killing.   http://www.presstv.com/detail/233822.html

Race behind killings  http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-04-12/news/ct-met-local-trayvon-martin-sidebar-20120412_1_racial-overtones-murder-charges-special-prosecutor

There are literally 1000's of articles like this....with race either absolutely the reason behind the killings, or potentially one of the reasons.  From day one it was drummed up as a racial killing against a young boy (remember pictures of him as a 12 year old) by a racist "white"...so much so the news had to edit 911 calls to fit the meme.  You ad Al, Jesse, the entire MSNBC, NY Times, etc cabal preaching it from day one.  Then, slowly we find out, there was no racism months later, that in fact GZ had assisted minorities (such as himself) for well over a decade....the damage had already been done.  The picture was already painted.

I have plenty of understanding of it....plenty. 

What you are failing to understand is that race is treated differently by the media and others in this country.  You know without a shadow of a doubt the two killings I just spoke about in the last week if they were reversed the outrage would be off the scales, and racism charges would be front and center.  If these victims were minorities and the perpetrators not only white, but also had past racist tweets, behaviors, etc, racism would be the lead story.  ZERO DOUBT.  ZERO.  You are a fool to suggest otherwise.

I ask AGAIN, to you or forgetful or Hards, why the double standard with these cases and others?  You guys really going to try and tell us that if the victims and suspects were switched everything would be the same?  I'm glad Science Monitor brought it up.  I saw even CNN mentioned it (albeit in passing) today.  But hey, all is ok because Rev. Jesse and AL sent a tweet...that's certainly on par with all the baiting they did for months and rallies and news shows, etc, etc...with a willing media at every turn to help them along.  Double standard and hypocrisy at its highest levels.  Duke rape case....GUILTY and Racist conclusions just moments after it came out.  GZ....GUILTY and racist conclusions just moments after it came out.  Pretty amazing stuff. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #236 on: August 24, 2013, 02:54:53 PM »
I assure you if it was a black athlete killed by a black teen, a teen of mixed race and a white teen that the news would have been exactly the same.

In fact, I'll go even further, if it had been reversed there would never have been any implications of this being a race-based crime.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #237 on: August 24, 2013, 03:13:06 PM »

As ATL said, I don't think you understand what the Martin case was actually about.

Yup...nothing to see here.  If a white dude said that and killed an African American jogging, the media would do what exactly?  Please.  This would not be growns for a race based crime...you are kidding me.  It would be the central theme of the case.  Ridiculous to suggest otherwise, absolutely ridiculous.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/21/justice/australia-student-killed-oklahoma
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:15:40 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #238 on: August 24, 2013, 03:18:20 PM »
I assure you if it was a black athlete killed by a black teen, a teen of mixed race and a white teen that the news would have been exactly the same.

In fact, I'll go even further, if it had been reversed there would never have been any implications of this being a race-based crime.

You are delusional.  If a white kid had put those tweets out there and then randomly killed a black kid while jogging, you would say there would be no race based crime?  HOLY CRAP I can't believe you just said that after what we saw in the last 18 months, or what we saw with the Duke case or many others.  Racial motivation was the lead "reason" given from day one by pundits and the media.  You are crazy to suggest that it wouldn't be again.  So why the double standard?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #239 on: August 24, 2013, 03:24:20 PM »
You are delusional.  If a white kid had put those tweets out there and then randomly killed a black kid while jogging, you would say there would be no race based crime?  HOLY CRAP I can't believe you just said that after what we saw in the last 18 months, or what we saw with the Duke case or many others.  Racial motivation was the lead "reason" given from day one by pundits and the media.  You are crazy to suggest that it wouldn't be again.  So why the double standard?

Remember, the kid who pulled the trigger was of mixed race, so your analysis is not actually representing what occurred.  The kid driving the car was white. 

Your situation is a fictional case that doesn't represent any that we are actually talking about.

Also, the reason this case got traction initially was aided by the fact that it was mischaracterized as a race based crime, by people like yourself, that are looking to insert an agenda to every case that may fit. 

The only parallel to the GZ case here is that the media initially misreported some of the facts.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #240 on: August 24, 2013, 04:56:32 PM »
"You apparently have ZERO understanding of why there were protests surrounding the Trayvon Martin killing.  ZERO.  Stop making a fool of yourself."

Do you know that most of the "protestors" were paid to  be there?

No I don't.  And you don't either, unless you were one of them and got paid. 

You read it or heard it reported somewhere.  You don't "know" jack.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #241 on: August 24, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »
I wasn't paid to go to the rally I attended. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #242 on: August 24, 2013, 07:07:36 PM »
I wasn't paid to go to the rally I attended. 
What?  Shocking.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #243 on: August 24, 2013, 07:18:33 PM »

This case did happen however and probably got less overall press than the current one.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/03/justice/mississippi-hate-crime

Why did it not create the same kind of uproar?  Again justice was served in this case.  The people who perpetrated the crime were charged and went to jail.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #244 on: August 24, 2013, 11:15:58 PM »
Remember, the kid who pulled the trigger was of mixed race, so your analysis is not actually representing what occurred.  The kid driving the car was white. 

Your situation is a fictional case that doesn't represent any that we are actually talking about.

Also, the reason this case got traction initially was aided by the fact that it was mischaracterized as a race based crime, by people like yourself, that are looking to insert an agenda to every case that may fit. 

The only parallel to the GZ case here is that the media initially misreported some of the facts.

This case got traction initially because 3 teens said they killed someone because they were "bored".  It was outrageous and people were pissed.  Then we come to find out about racist tweets, etc, and the claim race isn't involved and we all know damn well if the roles were reversed the cries of racism would be all over the place.  But not here...hmmm.  Makes you wonder.  Watching some of the speeches today for the MLK 50th anniversary....couldn't help but note MLKIII who said Martin was killed because of race.  Go figure. 

And your facts are wrong.  Luna is of mixed race, Edwards was the trigger man....Edwards is also the one with the racist tweets.  Go figure..your facts are wrong.

http://m.duncanbanner.com/duncanbanner/pm_113452/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=knrv3xGQ

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #245 on: August 24, 2013, 11:30:41 PM »

This case got traction initially because 3 teens said they killed someone because they were "bored".  It was outrageous and people were pissed.  Then we come to find out about racist tweets, etc, and the claim race isn't involved and we all know damn well if the roles were reversed the cries of racism would be all over the place.  But not here...hmmm.  Makes you wonder.  Watching some of the speeches today for the MLK 50th anniversary....couldn't help but note MLKIII who said Martin was killed because of race.  Go figure.  

And your facts are wrong.  Luna is of mixed race, Edwards was the trigger man....Edwards is also the one with the racist tweets.  Go figure..your facts are wrong.

http://m.duncanbanner.com/duncanbanner/pm_113452/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=knrv3xGQ

My facts are correct according to the prosecutor of the case and this article:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/21/police-say-teen-shot-australian-student-in-oklahoma-for-fun-it/

Luna is mixed race, Edwards is african american and Jones is White.

Go figure.

Oh yeah and your link is broken.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 11:40:39 PM by forgetful »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #246 on: August 24, 2013, 11:32:09 PM »
This case did happen however and probably got less overall press than the current one.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/03/justice/mississippi-hate-crime

Why did it not create the same kind of uproar?  Again justice was served in this case.  The people who perpetrated the crime were charged and went to jail.

Find me a case where a white victim is killed and a minority is charged for a racial hate crime.  Should be a bunch out there, I mean there are a bunch that are easy to find where a minority is a victim and whites were the killers and charged with a racial hate crime.  Considering the proportional number of murders committed is so much higher of black on white than the other way around, I would expect you to be able to find this rather easily.

Hard, isn't it.  In fact, more than hard, darn near impossible where someone is charged with a racial hate crime as a minority.  Who knew.

Columbia Professor (who happens to be African American) discusses. 

http://ideas.time.com/2013/08/22/viewpoint-dont-ignore-race-in-christopher-lanes-murder/

Ever wonder why almost no racial hate crimes?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #247 on: August 24, 2013, 11:38:51 PM »
Find me a case where a white victim is killed and a minority is charged for a racial hate crime.  Should be a bunch out there, I mean there are a bunch that are easy to find where a minority is a victim and whites were the killers and charged with a racial hate crime.  Considering the proportional number of murders committed is so much higher of black on white than the other way around, I would expect you to be able to find this rather easily.

Hard, isn't it.  In fact, more than hard, darn near impossible where someone is charged with a racial hate crime as a minority.  Who knew.

Columbia Professor (who happens to be African American) discusses.  

http://ideas.time.com/2013/08/22/viewpoint-dont-ignore-race-in-christopher-lanes-murder/

Ever wonder why almost no racial hate crimes?

http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/fbi-releases-2011-hate-crime-statistics

According to the FBI in 2011 20.9% of all hate crimes were committed by african americans.  Significantly higher than would be predicted based on population alone.  

Not so hard to find such data.  So not really that impossible to find.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #248 on: August 24, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/fbi-releases-2011-hate-crime-statistics

According to the FBI in 2011 20.9% of all hate crimes were committed by african americans.  Significantly higher than would be predicted based on population alone.  

Not so hard to find such data.  So not really that impossible to find.

I asked for race based murder hate crime

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #249 on: August 24, 2013, 11:44:31 PM »
My facts are correct according to the prosecutor of the case and this article:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/21/police-say-teen-shot-australian-student-in-oklahoma-for-fun-it/

Luna is mixed race, Edwards is african american and Jones is White.

Go figure.

Oh yeah and your link is broken.

Do you call our POTUS mixed race or only now in this case?  Sounds like how "white Hispanic" came out of nowhere.   ;)  Last I checked, both were charged for murder.

Makes you wonder about the WWII veteran killed the other night.  Maybe those punks just didn't like WWII vets.

Link works fine for me.  Duncan, OK newspaper where the crime happened.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 11:52:26 PM by ChicosBailBonds »