[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: IDF targets and kills food aid workers  (Read 9924 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: IDF targets and kills food aid workers
« Reply #250 on: April 29, 2024, 02:30:26 PM »
Of course, twisted old codger that he is, aina?

How antisemitic of you.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #251 on: April 29, 2024, 02:38:59 PM »
Of course, now faculty members and students who weren't involved are now encircling the encampment to "protect" it. Not sure the University could have handled this worse. This was an obvious outcome.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #252 on: April 29, 2024, 02:56:16 PM »
Its been reported several places on the internet. Google is your friend, hey?

I googled. Found nothing substantial or with sufficient evidence.

I guess that settles it.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #253 on: April 29, 2024, 03:43:14 PM »
First hand account, the UPenn campus includes students from Penn, Temple, and Drexel along with outsiders. Peaceful Muslim service at one time, shouting intifada and other rhyming chants another. No violence from my account, not saying it doesn’t exist at all. Jewish families/students are both scared and supportive, the most vocal in my circle are afraid, angry, and disgusted with the handling of the situation by Penn admin.

My personal opinion is we have to allow the protests, that is nonnegotiable. We can enforce campus policy and safety measures, and we should absolutely protect Jewish students from harm. We should absolutely protect non-Jewish students from harm.

I recently listened to a podcast called Philosophize This Episode 200: Postmodern Subject and “Ideology without Ideology.” I found it thought provoking as it pertains to how we might view the Israel/Palestine conflict through our need to allow for individuality while also trying to find universality. It discusses how we want to be humble, open, inclusive, but are we really just narcissists. It doesn’t directly speak on the conflict, but it is relevant and worth a listen.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #254 on: April 29, 2024, 04:31:25 PM »
Thanks for sharing, 21

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #255 on: April 29, 2024, 04:59:07 PM »
Thanks for sharing, 21

You’re welcome. I’ll add that a specific sophomore celebration (my son) is being moved from the normal location on the College Green where the encampment is set up to an end of campus where he lives in a high rise with open space. While not ideal, it seems like a compromise at the moment. Of course, this means the encampment is staying for the time being (of course things change rapidly).

Additionally, unlike USC, it doesn’t appear that Penn is cancelling graduation or their annual Hey Day which takes place on Locust Walk and the College Green, the main path through campus. While Locust Walk is within the UPenn campus it remains accessible by law to anyone. I sincerely hope none of these events are cancelled and that none of the protesters physically keep them from happening.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #256 on: April 29, 2024, 05:23:58 PM »
You’re welcome. I’ll add that a specific sophomore celebration (my son) is being moved from the normal location on the College Green where the encampment is set up to an end of campus where he lives in a high rise with open space. While not ideal, it seems like a compromise at the moment. Of course, this means the encampment is staying for the time being (of course things change rapidly).

Additionally, unlike USC, it doesn’t appear that Penn is cancelling graduation or their annual Hey Day which takes place on Locust Walk and the College Green, the main path through campus. While Locust Walk is within the UPenn campus it remains accessible by law to anyone. I sincerely hope none of these events are cancelled and that none of the protesters physically keep them from happening.

Good decisions by Penn.

Just equally apply the law. Protest without violence or law breaking? Do nothing. Protest with acts of assault, individually targeted speech, etc? Arrest as indicated.

Of course, that becomes significantly complex with agent provocateurs, etc.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #257 on: April 29, 2024, 05:47:03 PM »
The East Coast schools could learn a thing or two from Northwestern.

Northwestern University officials announced Monday that they have reached an agreement with students and faculty protesting against Israel-Hamas war outlining a plan intended to allow demonstrations to continue while preventing the chaos and occasional violence that has engulfed other campuses across the country.
The deal comes five days after demonstrators established an encampment in Deering Meadow, a popular common area on the Evanston campus. Administrators responded to the protest by banning tents and temporary structures, but they did nothing to enact the new policy as they negotiated with protesters throughout the weekend.
The agreement, which Northwestern President Michael Schill announced in a campus-wide email, requires the immediate removal of tents and sound systems, as well as a commitment that all protesters will adhere to university policies. In return, demonstrations can continue on the meadow through June 1.
Only students and university staff may participate in the protests, according to the deal posted on the university’s website.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/04/29/northwestern-university-reaches-agreement-with-protesters/

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #258 on: April 29, 2024, 06:25:37 PM »
If students are violent, they should arrest them. If students are restricting access to buildings where other sudents learn, faculty teach or staff work, then arrest them. Otherwise they are doing no harm except embarrassing the administration.

Don't get me wrong, as a private institution, they have the legal right to do this. But this is going to result in all sorts of unintended consequences.

They may have the legal right to do this. Depends on their rules and policies and what is and isn't going on at the protests. I suspect there will be several successful (or more likely settled) lawsuits when the dust settles.

From a bystander perspective,  they have handled this about as poorly as they could.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #259 on: April 29, 2024, 09:27:17 PM »
these "peaceful protests" seem to be getting kind of insurrectiony.  mobs of unruly people moving in at the indirect direction of tlaib's and Omar's puppy whistles
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #260 on: April 29, 2024, 09:52:32 PM »
these "peaceful protests" seem to be getting kind of insurrectiony.  mobs of unruly people moving in at the indirect direction of tlaib's and Omar's puppy whistles

So not really at all like your favorite insurrectionists moving in to attack the Capitol Police and hang the vice president at the direct direction of the then-president of the United States.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #261 on: April 30, 2024, 05:33:32 AM »
So not really at all like your favorite insurrectionists moving in to attack the Capitol Police and hang the vice president at the direct direction of the then-president of the United States.

as of this morning, i'd like to think you'd have a change of opinion as the terrorists continued involvement nationwide make your exaggerations seem tame by comparison. 

btw, you may want to brush up on your definition of "insurrection" as i may even be over stating just a bit myself, but you set the bar.  regardless, i'm a little more closer than your out of breath nonsense   

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #262 on: April 30, 2024, 05:40:40 AM »
and why are the terrorists allowed to mask up?  surely COVID isn't still an issue here even though masks have been ruled impotent or has Dr fettuccine trying to make one last gasp of relevance?  maybe, as we are finding out, all of those millions of illegals weekend at Bernie's is flooding the country with are also bringing back measles and other diseases that we had once essentially eradicated.  the great unifier is just flooding us with unification it brings a tear(s) to my eye(s) and many others

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #263 on: April 30, 2024, 06:38:24 AM »
and why are the terrorists allowed to mask up?  surely COVID isn't still an issue here even though masks have been ruled impotent or has Dr fettuccine trying to make one last gasp of relevance?  maybe, as we are finding out, all of those millions of illegals weekend at Bernie's is flooding the country with are also bringing back measles and other diseases that we had once essentially eradicated.  the great unifier is just flooding us with unification it brings a tear(s) to my eye(s) and many others

8.5 out of 10
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #264 on: April 30, 2024, 07:16:18 AM »

If you think that the "illegals" are bringing back these diseases, you are pretty much a dimwit.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #265 on: April 30, 2024, 07:19:36 AM »
  as of this morning, i'd like to think you'd have a change of opinion as the terrorists continued involvement nationwide make your exaggerations seem tame by comparison. 

btw, you may want to brush up on your definition of "insurrection" as i may even be over stating just a bit myself, but you set the bar.  regardless, i'm a little more closer than your out of breath nonsense   

They aren't "terrorists." But yeah occupying buildings isn't great and those who do so should be arrested.

It probably would have been best just to leave the encampment alone.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #266 on: April 30, 2024, 07:53:25 AM »

If you think that the "illegals" are bringing back these diseases, you are pretty much a dimwit.

Well, it’s definitely not the lunatics no longer having their kids immunized.  Can’t imagine why anyone wouldn’t have their kids immunized.  Can’t put my finger on it.  I’ll just blame illegals instead
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #267 on: April 30, 2024, 09:12:26 AM »

Why are you soft on seditionist felons and antisemites?

I have repeatedly condemned those who are violent and who break the law. You, meanwhile, praise treasonous criminals who beat up cops at the behest of the ex-president, and politicians who advocate for violent vigilantes to harm peaceful people.

maybe, as we are finding out, all of those millions of illegals weekend at Bernie's is flooding the country with are also bringing back measles and other diseases that we had once essentially eradicated.

Wait ... anti-vaxxers are illegals? That explains why the lord smote Aaron Rodgers' achilles tendon, just as it was written in the $60 bible.

Now toddle off to Gettysburg and praise the great Irish-Confederate leader Robert E. Lee, who famously said: "Never fight uphill, me boys."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #268 on: April 30, 2024, 09:16:10 AM »
They aren't "terrorists." But yeah occupying buildings isn't great and those who do so should be arrested.

It probably would have been best just to leave the encampment alone.

How do we not learn anything from Vietnam protests? Kent state? Iraq protests?

• All American
« Reply #269 on: April 30, 2024, 09:21:50 AM »
How do we not learn anything from Vietnam protests? Kent state? Iraq protests?

Because there are always types that believe college kids should believe a certain thing and behave a certain way. And if they don't, the force of the state should be used against them even if they only thing they are doing is freely assembling.

And I will go back to when this whole thing started. Despite what Douchey said, there was a real risk to Israel overreacting. They are doing long term damage to their relationship with their most important ally. No one under the age of ...45?...knows a time when Israel did not have the upper hand in this conflict.  (I think I am being generous here.)  They see what is happening in Gaza and in the occupied West Bank and wondering who the good guys are here.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #270 on: April 30, 2024, 09:25:00 AM »
Wondering if Hamas will accept the latest cease fire proposal

MU82

• All American
« Reply #271 on: April 30, 2024, 09:33:28 AM »
Stating the obvious, it's a horrible situation. I am one who has said that Israel absolutely had the right to go after Hamas after the Oct. 7 attack, even if it led to some collateral damage (as all wars do), and I still believe that. But Netanyahu couldn't have handled the situation much worse with the indiscriminate way his forces killed innocents.

As a result, in the world court of public opinion, he and his country have gone from sympathetic victims to evil aggressors. Both Trump and Biden warned Bibi that would happen, too - and those two can't even agree what day it is.

Not sure how to get out of this sh!tshow. Nobody is.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that sending in heavily armed, military-gear wearing law enforcement to violently attack college students probably isn't the right thing to do here in the United States. Kent State happened almost exactly 54 years ago, and we apparently haven't learned a damn thing.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 10:36:56 AM by MU82 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #272 on: April 30, 2024, 10:00:33 AM »
Stating the obvious, it's a horrible situation. I am one who has said that Israel absolutely had the right to go after Hamas after the Oct. 7 attack, even if it led to some collateral damage (as all wars do), and I still believe that. But Netanyahu couldn't have handled the situation much worse with the indiscriminate way his forces killed innocents.

As a result, in the world court of public opinion, he and his country have gone from sympathetic victims to evil aggressors. Both Trump and Biden warned Bibi that would happen, too - and those two can't even agree what day it is.

Not sure how to get out of this sh!tshow. Nobody is.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that sending in heavily armed, military-gear wearing law enforcement to violently attack college students probably isn't the right thing to do here in the United States. Kent State happened almost exactly 24 years ago, and we apparently haven't learned a damn thing.

mmm

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #273 on: April 30, 2024, 10:13:07 AM »
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 10:40:49 AM by lawdog77 »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #274 on: April 30, 2024, 10:29:55 AM »
More like May 1970, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"