Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2018-19  (Read 6933 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: 2018-19
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 12:24:20 AM »
My WAY too early stab at the 18-19 rotation:

PG: Howard
SG: Cheatham
SF: S Hauser
PF: Morrow
C: John

J Hauser
Anim
Froling
Heldt
Elliott
Cain
Bailey
Eke (Redshirt)

Ridiculously deep....except at PG. We are one Markus injury away from Buzz' last season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 08:36:49 AM »

J Hauser
Anim
Froling
Heldt
Elliott
Cain
Bailey
Eke (Redshirt)

Ridiculously deep....except at PG. We are one Markus injury away from Buzz' last season.

This is all based on the idea that Elliott isn’t a diamond in the ruff though. If he truly is then we’ve got ourselves decently covered if Markus goes down
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 08:38:43 AM »
1) Howard - Elliott - Cheatham
2) Cheatham - Anim - Elliot - Cain
3) Sam Hauser - Bailey - Cain - Anim
4) Joey Hauser - Morrow - Froling - Sam Hauser
5) Morrow - John - Heldt - Froling

Eke redshirt.

I think there are 3 pros (Hauser, Hauser, Bailey) and one of the best college players we have had in a long, long time (Howard) on this roster.  I think Howard would be a pro if he was 4 inches taller.  I think Bailey is going to be as under-hyped as Davante was coming into MU, and be even better for MU than Davante was.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 08:43:35 AM »

Eke redshirt.

I think there are 3 pros (Hauser, Hauser, Bailey) and one of the best college players we have had in a long, long time (Howard) on this roster.  I think Howard would be a pro if he was 4 inches taller.  I think Bailey is going to be as under-hyped as Davante was coming into MU, and be even better for MU than Davante was.

I don’t doubt that Joey will be really good, but Morrow averaged 9.4 and 7.5 in the B1G plus will have a year to have developed, studied the system and work out, I don’t think he sits behind Joey.
Maigh Eo for Sam

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 08:49:28 AM »
I agree, Joey is a finesse player and a good one.  He is not a one and done type player but will fit in with what MU has.  Morrow is more like David Boone,  junk yard
dog.  With John and Morrow, MU can finally not be undersized in the Big East.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2017, 08:59:08 AM »
I don’t doubt that Joey will be really good, but Morrow averaged 9.4 and 7.5 in the B1G plus will have a year to have developed, studied the system and work out, I don’t think he sits behind Joey.

That is why I have Morrow starting at the 5 next to Joey.  We don't need 2 guys with identical skillsets that aren't overly versatile on the court at the same time except in certain situations (need a defensive stop to close out a game, etc.).  That is what Morrow and John are (and Heldt, for that matter).  I don't think you want two of those guys starting.  So then one of Joey or Froling is most likely starting with one of Morrow or John (or maybe both Joey and Froling start and none of Heldt, John, or Morrow start).

In my mind, you get the 5 best players on your roster on the court as much as you can and you work out the roles from there.  I think Joey will be one of our best 5 players next year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2017, 09:08:51 AM »
My depth chart for 2018-19:

SF: S. Hauser
C: Froling

Bench Order: J. Hauser, Elliott, Anim, John, Cain, Heldt, Bailey, Eke (RS)

I think the first four off the bench see meaningful minutes every game. I could easily see Anim and Cain swapped, or Heldt and John, but I do think Joey and Elliott are the two guys that effectively give you cover at 1-5 depending on lineups. Elliott might not be second in minutes off the bench, but I do think he'll play consistently because Markus will need some rest.

All that said, I've got our highest rated 2017 recruit (Cain) out of the main mix as well as a true senior with experience in Heldt. On paper, this is the deepest Marquette team I've seen in my lifetime and it's not even close. If our 12th man is a 20-year-old freshman who was consensus top-100, that's pretty impressive. The only thing missing is point guard depth. This team could be Sweet 16 or better, but is a Markus Howard injury away from being NIT if Elliott isn't ready to steer the ship.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2017, 09:14:56 AM »
Bump.  Time to focus on what MU has.

How about focusing on 17-18?   ;D

Trying to determine the starting lineup a year from now is like trying to determine whether it is going to rain or not on the first gameday.  A lot of stuff that we can't predict is going to happen between then and now, and there are a lot of variables.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2017, 09:16:06 AM »

Eke redshirt.

I agree on Morrow and Joey being in the starting 5 - just too good to sit. Cheatham or Sacar starting at the 2 is our only weakness. With QG at the point and Markus at the 2 this team would have been really, really good.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2017, 09:24:50 AM »
Unless injuries hit, the success of any season doesn't depend on the talent or readiness of the 11th man.  Those guys are 'future development', always important for long term success at programs like MU.  Our success in any year depends on 7-8 guys, all of whom need to be able to play effectively.  2-3 need to be second team all Big East or better for us to compete near the top of the conference or go deep in the dance.  Who are those guys next year?  Time will tell.  More importantly, who are those guys right now?  I'll watch with interest again Saturday. 

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2017, 09:58:49 AM »
We certainly will have a lot of talented players on our team in 2018-19. I most looking forward to Morrow's contribution as well as seeing how quickly Brendan Bailey can transform his body into being D1 ready. I understand Bailey has grown and added meaningful weight, which combined with his maturity should make him a real force.
UNC Grad MU Fan

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2017, 02:08:57 PM »
We certainly will have a lot of talented players on our team in 2018-19. I most looking forward to Morrow's contribution as well as seeing how quickly Brendan Bailey can transform his body into being D1 ready. I understand Bailey has grown and added meaningful weight, which combined with his maturity should make him a real force.
Obviously you are not Wojo
Goal is National Championship

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2017, 05:55:11 PM »
Unless injuries hit, the success of any season doesn't depend on the talent or readiness of the 11th man.  Those guys are 'future development', always important for long term success at programs like MU.  Our success in any year depends on 7-8 guys, all of whom need to be able to play effectively.  2-3 need to be second team all Big East or better for us to compete near the top of the conference or go deep in the dance.  Who are those guys next year?  Time will tell.  More importantly, who are those guys right now?  I'll watch with interest again Saturday.
My excitement derives from my perception that we have 3 All Big East caliber players in Markus, Sam and Rowsey. We have two solid Experienced players in Haanif ( who is on mock draft boards)and Matt Heldt. That starting 5 is solid . Sacar has the ability to be a solid Big East player . We then have 4 newcomers who can give us a athletic energy minutes and 1 newcomer who can provide some offensive depth. I think the 5 newcomers combined can give us a total of 15- 20 quality minutes a game. I am very confident in our teams success this year.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2017, 08:34:33 PM »
My excitement derives from my perception that we have 3 All Big East caliber players in Markus, Sam and Rowsey. We have two solid Experienced players in Haanif ( who is on mock draft boards)and Matt Heldt. That starting 5 is solid . Sacar has the ability to be a solid Big East player . We then have 4 newcomers who can give us a athletic energy minutes and 1 newcomer who can provide some offensive depth. I think the 5 newcomers combined can give us a total of 15- 20 quality minutes a game. I am very confident in our teams success this year.

I love the optimism, but what draft boards is Haanif on? I am hoping he bounces back with a good year, but I can't imagine he's on any mocks right now.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2017, 08:46:24 PM »
I love the optimism, but what draft boards is Haanif on? I am hoping he bounces back with a good year, but I can't imagine he's on any mocks right now.

Its more of a grassroots movement. 

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2017, 08:49:23 PM »

I saw the one he is talking about. Had Haanif at the end of the 2nd round. Within the last month or so too, because I remember I was looking for Grimes on it. Nbadraft.net sounds right but i can’t find it anymore so who knows.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2017, 08:54:59 PM »
I saw the one he is talking about. Had Haanif at the end of the 2nd round. Within the last month or so too, because I remember I was looking for Grimes on it. Nbadraft.net sounds right but i can’t find it anymore so who knows.
Haanif was 59th on nbadraft.net but he is not on the most recent iteration .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2017, 11:28:08 PM »
I think the only starters we can be sure of for 18-19 are Howard, Sam, and Morrow, assuming good health. That in and of itself is impressive.

Then when you look at the rest of the names battling for starting spots and playing time, it's pretty f'n impressive.

I'm not discounting this season and obviously a lot can and will change but 18-19 can be special. If anyone has any expectations that don't include the second weekend I strongly disagree.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 06:10:56 AM »
The 5 core “bigs” are Hauser, John, Froling, Heldt and Morrow. Our offense will be way more dynamic if John and Morrow are not on the court together. Hauser and Froling can stretch defenses so I think you will see (more than not) combos like Hauser/John Morrow/Froling Etc. John/Morrow would be huge for rebounding, but that lineup wouldn’t really stretch things out...Let’s also not forget about Heldt. He looks quicker and leaner this year and think he could surprise people. Hardest worker on the team.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 07:47:12 AM by mubb3434 »

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2017, 07:26:46 AM »
I think the only starters we can be sure of for 18-19 are Howard, Sam, and Morrow, assuming good health. That in and of itself is impressive.

Then when you look at the rest of the names battling for starting spots and playing time, it's pretty f'n impressive.

I'm not discounting this season and obviously a lot can and will change but 18-19 can be special. If anyone has any expectations that don't include the second weekend I strongly disagree.

Yep, I'll join your Parade with Gusto.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

burger

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2017, 08:55:19 AM »
It better be:

Howard
Cain
Hauser
Hauser

And "OTHER BIG" depending on the opposing match-up......Froling.....Morrow....John.....Heidt.....

I can also seem them going very small with Bailey......Bailey is really really a skilled player.....Maybe some rust.....But you are getting a 3rd year physically developed player as a freshman.....Who from has been said....Can really shoot......Hauser....Hauser ....Bailey....Froling.....for short periods of shooting (any 3).....

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2017, 09:25:38 AM »
It better be:

Howard
Cain
Hauser
Hauser

And "OTHER BIG" depending on the opposing match-up......Froling.....Morrow....John.....Heidt.....

I can also seem them going very small with Bailey......Bailey is really really a skilled player.....Maybe some rust.....But you are getting a 3rd year physically developed player as a freshman.....Who from has been said....Can really shoot......Hauser....Hauser ....Bailey....Froling.....for short periods of shooting (any 3).....

Haanif will be starting.

burger

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2017, 09:56:46 AM »
Hannif could range anywhere from 'transfer" to "starting" to "starring".....

I hope it is starring......

It is up to him at this point....

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2017, 10:53:11 AM »
And McKay transferred from MU because he didn't want to play the 5. So he went to Iowa State ... where he played the 5.

You tell the kid, "I fully intended to play you at the 4 but stuff happened, and everybody in the program really appreciates you being the great team player and leader you are!"

Not saying that will happen with Morrow at MU, but it's happened before countless times at programs from sea to shining sea, and it will happen again.

Sure.  But Morrow isn't a 5, and we're going to have plenty of other options there during his tenure.  He'll probably play the 5 some when we go small, but not the majority of the time.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2017, 10:56:37 AM »

J Hauser
Anim
Froling
Heldt
Elliott
Cain
Bailey
Eke (Redshirt)

I have no doubts that we will have another PG on the roster next year - either a recruit or grad transfer.