[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duane Wilson Tweet  (Read 112013 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Duane Wilson Tweet
« Reply #275 on: April 21, 2016, 12:59:01 PM »
Wally lost both of his legs in a cannon accident.   Really, really sad.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #276 on: April 21, 2016, 01:00:26 PM »
Y'all worry too much. Let's make MU great again, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #277 on: April 21, 2016, 01:03:16 PM »
You and me both.
To top it off the radio station I am listening to keeps running an MU add, which says something like reputation matters so you should attend an MU graduate program. Maybe we are over reacting, but I just do not see how this helps MU's reputation. I want to be loyal to my team, I want the players to be loyal to MU and I of course want the coaches to be loyal to the players. It appeared we would actually have a year where no players transferred and now we may be having a player run off to get another player just makes me mad.

Over reacting?  On this board?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #278 on: April 21, 2016, 01:07:07 PM »
It absolutely is, and I'm withholding judgment until we have a better picture of what is going down. But I would definitely take issue with using a kid as a catspaw just to land his brother.

What if Wojo recruited him both because of his brother and because he saw some athletic talent that he hoped he would be able to shape into a player who would be able to contribute on a high major team? If the second reason ended up not happening, is it fair to expect Wojo to keep Wally at the expense of the team just because of the first reason?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #279 on: April 21, 2016, 01:07:33 PM »
Reinhardt or Rowsey.  Not saying that they won't be good players, or better than Wally, but neither of those guys play a position of need on this team and I hate the idea of taking a guy that will necessitate that you Pole-axe someone else.

This type of stuff makes me laugh, and there is way too much of it in this thread. Scholarships are one years deals.  Wojo's job is make MU the best team he can.  Wally was the 13th man and would bring very little value to next years team, and MU needs a big.  Thats really all there is to it.

Who gives a crap about promises?  Its A ONE YEAR DEAL! If Wally was better at basketball, he wouldn't have been cut.  This is the big leagues of college hoops - Wojo is doing the right thing, and people saying otherwise are way too sensitive.  Ladies and gentlemen, this stuff HAPPENS IN HIGH SCHOOL EVEN!

As for recruiting, if anyone doesn't come to MU because of this, they're soft and don't have much confidence in their abilities anyways.  Probably better they go somewhere else. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #280 on: April 21, 2016, 01:07:51 PM »
Wally has been sharing some details with others about this issue, so I don't mind sharing.

Wally found out on Sunday.  He's really interested in playing ball, even if it is elsewhere.  However, he does not have enough credits to graduate, and if he transfers without having graduated, he still can't play because of the six year rule.  Wally, understandably, is pretty upset with his new reality. 

This sounds correct.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #281 on: April 21, 2016, 01:09:41 PM »
I actually believe Wojo will never take MU to the NCAA tourney.

Wait...what?  Like 3 posts before this quote you were talking about Wojo not being here for the long term and looking for the easiest way to the Duke head coaching job.  Something doesn't add up...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #282 on: April 21, 2016, 01:09:57 PM »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #283 on: April 21, 2016, 01:10:29 PM »
Right.  So serious question eng, I suspect you and Joe try to take your journalistic responsibility seriously. You and I have discussed rumors that never made the podcast.  That's good I think.

I'm 99% sure that Merritt was going full MU82 in his story
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #284 on: April 21, 2016, 01:12:07 PM »
Depends on if Wally can get enough credits together to graduate. As a grad transfer, he could find himself with a nice starting gig at a mid major somewhere. As a traditional transfer? Nope, would probably have to drop a level. Of course he has ton of options as a track athlete.

But to answer onepost's question, no. No one would bat an eye if it was Sacar or Sandy. This is all about fear of backlash from the Ellensons. There might be some, but I think its impact would be very short lived.

I'd bat an eye. Both guys have far more of future at MU than Wally friggin' Ellenson. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #285 on: April 21, 2016, 01:13:57 PM »
Where's Sacar from?

Sacar is Prince?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #286 on: April 21, 2016, 01:19:22 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is these are kids.  Teenage kids.  Most of them do grow up, and become more of an adult thinker closer to when they graduate.  That's not a knock on them.  That was me, and all of us too when we went to MU for 4 years (or 5 or 6).

Wally, I suspect, must have missed some communication, or simply reacted once it became reality.  That's not a knock on him, just a very reasonable explanation for how this has come about.  Perhaps, the message was there, but hard for a young man to process and comprehend.

Wally's lucky in that he has very supportive, engaged parents.  I'm sure Wally, with the support of his family, will see their way though this, and view it in a more mature light in the future...that may be a day, a week, or even years from now, but it will happen.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #287 on: April 21, 2016, 01:21:24 PM »
What if Wojo recruited him both because of his brother and because he saw some athletic talent that he hoped he would be able to shape into a player who would be able to contribute on a high major team? If the second reason ended up not happening, is it fair to expect Wojo to keep Wally at the expense of the team just because of the first reason?

For 2 years now there's been the idea that Wally is only here to get Henry. The staff can't be oblivious to this and has to understand the potential backlash, both short term in the media and long term in potential negative recruiting tactics.

In the past, Marquette has failed to get out in front of stories that were pretty obvious from the get go. This would disappoint me both from the perspective of using Wally like a human bargaining chip and the perspective of not grasping the potential negative fallout of such actions.

Further, if RC's account is true (and he's the first poster I trust bringing info to the table) the staff should have realized this 9 months ago and been pushing Wally to become degree eligible. Just a failing on numerous levels.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #288 on: April 21, 2016, 01:22:48 PM »
For those "waiting to hear more," here's what you'll get.  "Wally Ellenson has decided to leave the program to pursue his professional track and field career.  We are very thankful for the contributions Wally and the Ellenson family have given to the Marquette basketball program and wish him the best in his future endeavors."

The end.

If hearing nothing means his scholarship was unexpectedly and cold heartedly pulled from him to some of you, then get ready for Hiroshima.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #289 on: April 21, 2016, 01:25:04 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is these are kids.  Teenage kids.  Most of them do grow up, and become more of an adult thinker closer to when they graduate.  That's not a knock on them.  That was me, and all of us too when we went to MU for 4 years (or 5 or 6).

Wally, I suspect, must have missed some communication, or simply reacted once it became reality.  That's not a knock on him, just a very reasonable explanation for how this has come about.  Perhaps, the message was there, but hard for a young man to process and comprehend.

Wally's lucky in that he has very supportive, engaged parents.  I'm sure Wally, with the support of his family, will see their way though this, and view it in a more mature light in the future...that may be a day, a week, or even years from now, but it will happen.

One of your better post's Thanks
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #290 on: April 21, 2016, 01:31:47 PM »
For 2 years now there's been the idea that Wally is only here to get Henry. The staff can't be oblivious to this and has to understand the potential backlash, both short term in the media and long term in potential negative recruiting tactics.

In the past, Marquette has failed to get out in front of stories that were pretty obvious from the get go. This would disappoint me both from the perspective of using Wally like a human bargaining chip and the perspective of not grasping the potential negative fallout of such actions.

Further, if RC's account is true (and he's the first poster I trust bringing info to the table) the staff should have realized this 9 months ago and been pushing Wally to become degree eligible. Just a failing on numerous levels.

Get out ahead of what? Have Wojo hold weekly pressers about Wally's status or continually stating that they did not use Wally as bait for Henry?

At the end of the day, there were misunderstandings in one camp and an attempt to thread the needle too much on the other. It happens, and I fully believe that all parties will get past this at some point, but it's fresh pain right now and I get that. Nothing permanently damaging has been done and if we are trading Wally for Young we are getting better for next season and several seasons after that.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #291 on: April 21, 2016, 01:32:08 PM »
So is this official? Can change the thread to "Wally has been cut. MU can now find a real PF."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #292 on: April 21, 2016, 01:33:57 PM »
Isn't the timing curious?  We don't have a commitment.  Or has Kalif promised perhaps?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #293 on: April 21, 2016, 01:35:37 PM »
Isn't the timing curious?  We don't have a commitment.  Or has Kalif promised perhaps?

Need to free up a scholarship before you can hand one out, no?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #294 on: April 21, 2016, 01:36:19 PM »
Katin Reinhardt better be really effin good.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #295 on: April 21, 2016, 01:37:22 PM »

BD changed his name after the banquet.  Maybe they got a very good indication at some point.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #296 on: April 21, 2016, 01:37:29 PM »

Things are happening in the background, nothing is official, hence no announcement.....all parties have to play their part before anything is official.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #297 on: April 21, 2016, 01:37:47 PM »

Why? He just has to be better than Wally.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #298 on: April 21, 2016, 01:38:01 PM »
Need to free up a scholarship before you can hand one out, no?

Actually no. Nothing counts until August school starts if I'm not mistaken.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #299 on: April 21, 2016, 01:38:32 PM »

I agree but for a completely different reason than you