[Today at 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread  (Read 95775 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread
« Reply #3075 on: March 12, 2024, 08:09:33 PM »
Giving a 29-year-old pass rusher a $48 million guarantee is the kind of thing you can do when your two best players are on their rookie contracts.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39717947/source-texans-add-star-pass-rusher-danielle-hunter-49m-deal

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3076 on: March 12, 2024, 08:42:13 PM »
Did not expect Darnell Mooney to get $13M/yr, $26M guaranteed. Just 31 catches at 400 yards last year after a poor 2022. The WR market remains hot - too hot?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3077 on: March 12, 2024, 09:02:58 PM »
Did not expect Darnell Mooney to get $13M/yr, $26M guaranteed. Just 31 catches at 400 yards last year after a poor 2022. The WR market remains hot - too hot?

It's probably an overpay, but he's a really good fit for Atlanta. They needed someone to keep safeties honest.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3078 on: March 12, 2024, 09:22:34 PM »
It's probably an overpay, but he's a really good fit for Atlanta. They needed someone to keep safeties honest.
Some rumors that the FO talk at the combine was Mooney's tape was better than the production. That is, the QB couldn't see him or get him the ball; which fits with the developing Fields' story. Just some internet fodder to consider.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3079 on: March 13, 2024, 06:48:55 AM »
If takes Jones over Jacob’s eight days a week. Better runner. Better receiver. Better team leader.

Don’t get this move at all.

Let me help.  Jacobs is 26.  Jones is 29 and injured all the time.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3080 on: March 13, 2024, 07:00:46 AM »
A one year guarantee is smart and a good gamble. I do like the Swift deal better, but lesser of two evils in my eyes.

I do like the McKinney deal for the Pack, not splashy but a very good NFL player. Basically don't have to worry about that position for 4 years.

It's probably the splashiest deal in a long time considering McKinney's PFF grade... #4 Safety... He's 24 years old.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3081 on: March 13, 2024, 07:19:36 AM »
AJ Dillon (who most Packers fans think was terrible last year because he was) averaged 3.4 YPC. Josh Jacobs averaged 3.5 YPC.

Admittedly, Jones had maybe 2 good years left - although I got Curtis Martin vibes - but I think GB is clearly a worse offensive team today than they were yesterday.

The good news is that I think they will draft 2 RBs next month - including one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Josh Jacobs was an all-pro RB.

Go watch any tape from last year and you'll see how awful the Raiders OL was for him.

He's going to be walking into a much better situation in Green Bay.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3082 on: March 13, 2024, 08:04:54 AM »
It's probably the splashiest deal in a long time considering McKinney's PFF grade... #4 Safety... He's 24 years old.
I'll just say that ESPN radio/Greeny and friends this morning talked about the Packers FA moves this morning and didn't even mention McKinney.

You and I really like the move, just not "splashy".

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3083 on: March 13, 2024, 08:06:19 AM »
I'll just say that ESPN radio/Greeny and friends this morning talked about the Packers FA moves this morning and didn't even mention McKinney.

Maybe we are smart and they are the idiots!

But for real, defensive players rarely get people pumped... except for Reggie White... and maybe Joe Johnson.  :P

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3084 on: March 13, 2024, 08:12:37 AM »

But for real, defensive players rarely get people pumped... except for Reggie White... and maybe Joe Johnson.  :P

I remember when they signed Johnson. I was so jazzed about that. My dad called me about three games in and said "he stinks."

But I was also fired up when they signed Charles Woodson, who significantly exceeded expectations.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3085 on: March 13, 2024, 08:14:24 AM »

Thank you. That will be the only time today, this week, month or year someone says I might be smart.  ;D

I'm a Bears fan but I gotta call them like I see them.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3086 on: March 13, 2024, 08:24:21 AM »
I remember when they signed Johnson. I was so jazzed about that. My dad called me about three games in and said "he stinks."

But I was also fired up when they signed Charles Woodson, who significantly exceeded expectations.

Woodson looked bad in camp and the pre-season.  He got cooked by the Bengals in pre-season and there were legit concerns he was done.  And the rest is history
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3087 on: March 13, 2024, 08:32:00 AM »

He's a very good safety - many tiers above Amos when we signed him 5 years ago. He's not Nick Collins.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3088 on: March 13, 2024, 08:36:34 AM »
Josh Jacobs was an all-pro RB.

Go watch any tape from last year and you'll see how awful the Raiders OL was for him.

He's going to be walking into a much better situation in Green Bay.

I hope he does well. For next season, though, I think Jones will be the better player.

The OL angle is way overplayed. Sometimes it is the player. Kinda like the Bears fans who say it was Getsy’s fault or the OL’s fault. Well, the entire NFL is saying no, it was just Fields.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3089 on: March 13, 2024, 08:42:54 AM »
I hope he does well. For next season, though, I think Jones will be the better player.

The OL angle is way overplayed. Sometimes it is the player. Kinda like the Bears fans who say it was Getsy’s fault or the OL’s fault. Well, the entire NFL is saying no, it was just Fields.

Such an odd thing to say. The Packers are widely considered to have one of the best OLs in football, while the Raiders are in the bottom half. You don't think that matters in a running game?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3090 on: March 13, 2024, 09:24:23 AM »
Such an odd thing to say. The Packers are widely considered to have one of the best OLs in football, while the Raiders are in the bottom half. You don't think that matters in a running game?

And the Raiders had no QB threat after dumping Carr and opposing defenses just stacked the line.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3091 on: March 13, 2024, 09:28:06 AM »

No

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3092 on: March 13, 2024, 09:54:13 AM »
And the Raiders had no QB threat after dumping Carr and opposing defenses just stacked the line.

Over his career, Jacobs has averaged 2.1 yards before contact.
Jones has averaged 2.7 yards before contact.

Offensive line and scheme matter. Jones has been given an extra half-yard to work with every time he's been handed the ball.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #3093 on: March 13, 2024, 10:49:48 AM »

You’re obsessed

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3094 on: March 13, 2024, 11:11:22 AM »

For me, I think the single most important thing for an NFL RB to be good is how fast they can hit the hole when it is open.  Dillon couldn't get there in time, Jones could.  For Jacobs, there never really was a hole last season. 

I love Aaron Jones and I'll miss him.  He was our best player last year.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #3095 on: March 13, 2024, 11:35:35 AM »
For me, I think the single most important thing for an NFL RB to be good is how fast they can hit the hole when it is open.  Dillon couldn't get there in time, Jones could.  For Jacobs, there never really was a hole last season. 

I love Aaron Jones and I'll miss him.  He was our best player last year.

I was just going to post the same thing about explosion to the hole. Besides being important, it is fun to see. It is the sole reason why I think Jones will be better next year than Jacob’s. If we’re talking who will do more in the next 3 years, Jacob’s is the obvious answer.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #3096 on: March 13, 2024, 11:45:02 AM »
I want to ask what you guys think of Gutey’s performance this week.

I was a skeptic his 1st couple years, but now think he may rank in the top 5 GMs - certainly top 10.

Maybe it’s just hard wired in my brain but I love guys that go against conventional wisdom. Current thought in the NFL and among fans is that you don’t pay RBs or safeties. Gutey paid both. McKinney is here only because of that. He went back to the Giants after the GB offer and they told him safety is not a position of value. They let Saquan go because RB is not a position of value. And pay Daniel Jones $40M 

Gutey recognizes that players who tilt the field are always players of value. IF Jacobs is 2022 Jacobs, that is adding to game changing players in Free Agency.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3097 on: March 13, 2024, 11:48:02 AM »

I was a skeptic his 1st couple years, but now think he may rank in the top 5 GMs - certainly top 10.

Maybe it’s just hard wired in my brain but I love guys that go against conventional wisdom. Current thought in the NFL and among fans is that you don’t pay RBs or safeties. Gutey paid both. McKinney is here only because of that. He went back to the Giants after the GB offer and they told him safety is not a position of value. They let Saquan go because RB is not a position of value. And pay Daniel Jones $40M 

Gutey recognizes that players who tilt the field are always players of value. IF Jacobs is 2022 Jacobs, that is adding to game changing players in Free Agency.

I doubt he’s done yet.  I suspect they add a S and LB yet, not splashy, but one of each.

His choice of Anders Carlson was bad and holding onto Rodgers as long as he did was bad.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #3098 on: March 13, 2024, 12:30:56 PM »
Ken Ingalls (@KenIngalls on twitter) is a great follow for Packers cap/contract analysis. He's WAY WAY WAY into the weeds on analyzing this kind of stuff. Not grading Gutey, but on determining who is a cap casualty, who's getting cut, what the *actual* effects of their contracts are on cap, who can get restructured, etc.

He thinks GB is done with big free agents because you need cap space to sign your draft picks, to extend Love, to sign random dudes you need due to injuries, etc, and by his math they're already over the 2025 cap. So there's just not a lot of flexibility left over.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3099 on: March 13, 2024, 01:17:23 PM »

I remember the Washington Redskins and Dan Snyder winning the FA season many times.  ;)

feedback