collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread  (Read 95643 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: 2024 NFL Thread
« Reply #2300 on: January 08, 2024, 09:49:26 AM »
It might be time for CBS to move on from Romo. That was not good by any stretch yesterday.

100%. He was better as a rookie than he is now.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2301 on: January 08, 2024, 09:57:27 AM »
(I think) the math comes out to:

Williams/Maye + roster upgrades purchased w/ money saved by resetting the QB pay scale

vs

Fields + players picked with trading #1 + roster upgrades purchased w/ money saved on roster spots filled with those picks

I get that the latter is attractive because its way more stuff.  But you still have to hit on those picks too, and you aren't saving as much money as you are not having to pay a QB.  Oddly, I think the risk of variance is HIGHER sticking with Fields than drafting a QB.  If the Fields standard is "he's fine with a great roster around him,"  I think the odds are > 50%  that Williams or Maye would be able to also reach that standard by year 3, and I think the odds of providing that roster are higher resetting the QB pay scale than hoping to hit on the picks you get for #1.

I don't really disagree, but if the Bears pick Williams or Maye at #1 and either of them end up in the Fields situation everyone will be far angrier than if they have a better overall team.  But Maye or Williams could go elsewhere and be great.  That's why the GM gets the big bucks.  They get to gamble with a franchise. :)

Alternatively, they could take the trade and grab a QB other than the two marquee guys.  There have been plenty of drafts where the lower rated guys end up being better pros.  Which is why I'd just chill.  Especially since the last couple of QB choices in the top 5 by the Bears haven't exactly panned out well.

Lower the hype around QB and set the table for the next guy or Fields in his final year before his option.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2302 on: January 08, 2024, 10:14:27 AM »

Williams/Maye + roster upgrades purchased w/ money saved by resetting the QB pay scale

vs

Fields + players picked with trading #1 + roster upgrades purchased w/ money saved on roster spots filled with those picks

I get that the latter is attractive because its way more stuff.  But you still have to hit on those picks too, and you aren't saving as much money as you are not having to pay a QB.  Oddly, I think the risk of variance is HIGHER sticking with Fields than drafting a QB.  If the Fields standard is "he's fine with a great roster around him,"  I think the odds are > 50%  that Williams or Maye would be able to also reach that standard by year 3, and I think the odds of providing that roster are higher resetting the QB pay scale than hoping to hit on the picks you get for #1.

I don't think it's nearly so complicated.
The best, and arguably only, way to build a consistent winner in the NFL is through a top 10 (preferably top 5) level quarterback.
If you don't think Fields can be that guy - and I don't know why anyone would - then you move on and draft someone who might be that guy.
Putting a lot ot talent around a mediocre QB makes you the early Andy Dalton-era Bengals or the Jake Delhomme Panthers.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 10:17:25 AM by Pakuni »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2303 on: January 08, 2024, 10:20:21 AM »
I don't think it's nearly so complicated.
The best, and arguably only, way to build a consistent winner in the NFL is through a top 10 (preferably top 5) level quarterback.
If you don't think Fields can be that guy - and I don't know why anyone would - then you move on and draft someone who might be that guy.
Putting a lot ot talent around a mediocre QB makes you the early Andy Dalton-era Bengals or the Jake Delhomme Panthers.

But whiffing makes you the Bears and the fan base is over that.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2304 on: January 08, 2024, 10:23:19 AM »
It might be time for CBS to move on from Romo. That was not good by any stretch yesterday.
Ha! That was my first time watching one of his games this year. You are spot on, that was ugly. Just to start the game he made the Packers and Bears sound like they were both 16-0, averaging 50pts per game and allowing 0pts per game.

I used to like him but I guess he is just mailing it in. He doesn't sound like he is watching the entire game.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2305 on: January 08, 2024, 10:26:04 AM »
It does seem like Romo is going through the motions. He really has slipped over past several years and maybe should stick with golfing.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2306 on: January 08, 2024, 10:26:40 AM »
If the Bears are trying to avoid wiffs, then its time to relegate them to the SEC. Pro football is based upon drafting players, not recruiting. If they can't properly evaluate talent, then change the FO, don't give up trying to win.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2307 on: January 08, 2024, 10:31:51 AM »

No one ever hit a home run by choking up and trying to slap one through the infield.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2308 on: January 08, 2024, 10:52:12 AM »
If the Bears are trying to avoid wiffs, then its time to relegate them to the SEC. Pro football is based upon drafting players, not recruiting. If they can't properly evaluate talent, then change the FO, don't give up trying to win.

Yeah, if you are confident in what you are doing, you also don't give a rip what the fanbase thinks cause they're a bunch of meatheads.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2309 on: January 08, 2024, 10:54:35 AM »
To me, the best outcome would be if they evaluated Daniels as special, and New England did not. If the process played out and New England wanted to move up to 1, and the Bears got some type of package to move to 3, and take Daniels there.

If I had to predict what will happen, I think they’ll take Williams at one, fire Getsy, and hire Frank Reich as offensive coordinator.

This isn’t an endorsement of that prediction, I just think that’s a Bears type thing to do. To be clear, their entire coaching staff should be let go immediately in my opinion.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2310 on: January 08, 2024, 10:58:28 AM »
To me, the best outcome would be if they evaluated Daniels as special, and New England did not. If the process played out and New England wanted to move up to 1, and the Bears got some type of package to move to 3, and take Daniels there.

If I had to predict what will happen, I think they’ll take Williams at one, fire Getsy, and hire Frank Reich as offensive coordinator.

This isn’t an endorsement of that prediction, I just think that’s a Bears type thing to do. To be clear, their entire coaching staff should be let go immediately in my opinion.

I wonder if, with Rivera out in Washington, the Bears make a run at Bienemy. He's got ties to both Poles and Warren, and could he a head coach-in-waiting if they give Eberflus a short leash in 2024.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 11:01:02 AM by Pakuni »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2311 on: January 08, 2024, 11:01:39 AM »
It does seem like Romo is going through the motions. He really has slipped over past several years and maybe should stick with golfing.

Not to be an apologist, but I think Romo got reigned in/corrected when he was being TOO analytical and football nerdy early on.  Calling out plays, precise reads of formations, etc...  Wasn't simple and basic enough for the layman viewer.  Then from there, in a neutered form, he slowly morphed into the generic fawning color guy.  He was always enthusiastic and positive, but without the nuance and excessive football detail, it just seems bland and overly peppy.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2312 on: January 08, 2024, 11:10:29 AM »
No one ever hit a home run by choking up and trying to slap one through the infield.

But they put the ball in play, something the Bears haven't done in a decade.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2313 on: January 08, 2024, 11:11:40 AM »
Not to be an apologist, but I think Romo got reigned in/corrected when he was being TOO analytical and football nerdy early on.  Calling out plays, precise reads of formations, etc...  Wasn't simple and basic enough for the layman viewer.  Then from there, in a neutered form, he slowly morphed into the generic fawning color guy.  He was always enthusiastic and positive, but without the nuance and excessive football detail, it just seems bland and overly peppy.

Yep, and I loved the first iteration of him.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2314 on: January 08, 2024, 11:28:25 AM »

Agreed on "best" outcome. I don't know that any of these QBs are a sure-fire deal. Skills-wise, it's Williams and I'm not sure it's close. But temperment matters, and he's invited some criticism there and some of it's fair.

I'm all-in on Penix, but either way, there is no outcome othe Bears can take other than grabbing the guy they think has the best shot at being elite, whether or not you get him at 1.

Their defense is very very good, but defense is incredibly volatile over the intermediate term. Unless you have transcendent talents (they don't), you just can't hang your hat on that for the long run.

As far as the coaching staff, it seemed that Eberflus was a steadying influence this year after all of the initial disruption. But back to my point on defense being volatile... this is the risk of a defensive-minded head coach. If your OC is bad, you go down with the ship. If your OC is elite, they become HCs and you start over. It's obviously worked for a # of coaches who are true leaders, but it's a risk.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2315 on: January 08, 2024, 11:29:14 AM »
Ha! That was my first time watching one of his games this year. You are spot on, that was ugly. Just to start the game he made the Packers and Bears sound like they were both 16-0, averaging 50pts per game and allowing 0pts per game.

I used to like him but I guess he is just mailing it in. He doesn't sound like he is watching the entire game.

There is one word that he loves to use - "Jim".

Maybe start by talking to the viewer rather than your sidekick?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2316 on: January 08, 2024, 11:36:25 AM »

I'm all-in on Penix, but either way, there is no outcome othe Bears can take other than grabbing the guy they think has the best shot at being elite, whether or not you get him at 1.

Pennix would be the most Bearsy pick ever. Just veer from one extreme to the other to fix things. He is easily the most immobile QB being considered anywhere near the top of the draft. I really like him as a passer, but for a guy like that, you need OL who are pass protectors first and run blockers second - the opposite of what they now have.

My prediction is that the Bears run it back next year with Fields, eberflus, and Getsy. because that's what the Bears do. That is what mediocre teams do.

Maybe Poles will earn his money and take some risks. They are sorely needed. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2317 on: January 08, 2024, 11:38:15 AM »

If this game was the only analysis of the Packers I had heard all season, I'd have thought Barry was one of the best DCs in the NFL. Romo's just not very good.

It’s amazing how few calls Fields gets when he gets annihilated.

The same was true of Cam Newton. I sometimes think the ref looks at the size and running ability of a QB and says, "Eh, he's tough enough to take a hit." It's horrible officiating - that hit Fields took after he slid yesterday shoulda been a penalty and probably shoulda been reviewed for targeting.

Newton took hits like that all the time, and it shortened his career.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2318 on: January 08, 2024, 11:39:48 AM »

100%, no notes.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2319 on: January 08, 2024, 11:43:40 AM »
Just because they trade out of #1 doesn't require them to pay Fields.

If Poles/coaches truly think a QB in this draft is franchise material, then draft them and trade Fields.

But I don't think they should make that move just because they think Fields isn't a franchise QB.

Regardless, my bigger concern as a Chicago fan is the coaching staff. That entire staff should already be fired.

Otherwise, we likely continue with the circus of a staff picks a QB. Then that staff gets fired while the QB sticks around. The new staff didn't want that QB. Etc etc

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2320 on: January 08, 2024, 11:45:10 AM »
If this game was the only analysis of the Packers I had heard all season, I'd have thought Barry was one of the best DCs in the NFL. Romo's just not very good.

The same was true of Cam Newton. I sometimes think the ref looks at the size and running ability of a QB and says, "Eh, he's tough enough to take a hit." It's horrible officiating - that hit Fields took after he slid yesterday shoulda been a penalty and probably shoulda been reviewed for targeting.

Newton took hits like that all the time, and it shortened his career.

It wasn't flagged because it wasn't a penalty.  The defender was already in motion towards Fields when he started to slide.  Furthermore, Owens hit Fields with his body.  There was no helmet to helmet contact, and not even shoulder to helmet.

Was it unfortunate that Fields' head bounced off the turf?  Absolutely.  I hate seeing that.  But it wasn't a penalty.

If you want my strange opinion, the slide has hurt as many QBs as it has seemingly saved.  Sure, more penalties get called but I've seen a LOT of guys slide like Fields did and it puts their head right in the zone where a defensive guy is told to aim.  Waist level.  We've also seen guys slide poorly and hurt their lower body.  I'd love to see an in depth analysis of how many QBs have been hurt by sliding.  And now, to clarify, I'm not sure what the solution is.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2321 on: January 08, 2024, 11:45:18 AM »

vs

Here's my thoughts, that no one asked for, on the topic.

The Bears have been bad, and have been getting and using top picks for awhile to accumulate talent. They still suck. Why?

Because Love's season would have been the all-time best season for a Bears QB. They need a QB. The last decade has shown that accumulating talent through picks isn't enough.

Fields isn't the QB. Imagine if this Bears team had Stroud instead. They'd be a playoff team.

They didn't go that route, traded down, accumulated more picks and now still need a QB. Be bold, find your guy and go get him.

Getting talent, and then constantly trading it away in "resets" because you need a QB is a decades long losing problem.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2322 on: January 08, 2024, 11:46:34 AM »
I wonder if, with Rivera out in Washington, the Bears make a run at Bienemy. He's got ties to both Poles and Warren, and could he a head coach-in-waiting if they give Eberflus a short leash in 2024.

It’s funny you say that, at a family holiday party this past weekend, I said I thought it might be Bienemy. I remembered then that Reich and Eberflus worked together in Indy, and I think if they run it back with Eberflus, he’d be more comfortable with Reich.

The worst thing is bringing back Eberflus just to fire him a year from today, and do all of this over again, with not aligning QB/HC/OC on same onboarding timeframe. At that point, Poles is in trouble too. Bears wash/rinse/repeat over forever.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2323 on: January 08, 2024, 11:51:10 AM »
Here's my thoughts, that no one asked for, on the topic.

The Bears have been bad, and have been getting and using top picks for awhile to accumulate talent. They still suck. Why?

Because Love's season would have been the all-time best season for a Bears QB. They need a QB. The last decade has shown that accumulating talent through picks isn't enough.

Fields isn't the QB. Imagine if this Bears team had Stroud instead. They'd be a playoff team.

They didn't go that route, traded down, accumulated more picks and now still need a QB. Be bold, find your guy and go get him.

Getting talent, and then constantly trading it away in "resets" because you need a QB is a decades long losing problem.

Wrong.

The bears haven't had a coaching staff competent enough to scheme or develop talent in years

The Bears could have taken Mahomes instead of Trubisky or Stroud instead of Fields or acquired Lamar or Allen or anyone.

The individual player's talent is nearly irrelevant

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2324 on: January 08, 2024, 11:52:57 AM »
Wrong.

The bears haven't had a coaching staff competent enough to scheme or develop talent in years

The Bears could have taken Mahomes instead of Trubisky or Stroud instead of Fields or acquired Lamar or Allen or anyone.

The individual player's talent is nearly irrelevant

So, what you’re saying is, the current QB and coaching staff both stink?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback