[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread  (Read 95537 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: 2024 NFL Thread
« Reply #2125 on: January 02, 2024, 10:23:19 AM »
When it comes to QBs, if you aren't 100% sure at the end of a guy's rookie contract, you start over.  The NFL is too small a sample size and has too much injury variability to have a template, but to the extent you can draw a curve to success, its the rookie QB deal.  Every team with double digit wins except the Browns and Lions have either a QB on a rookie deal or a QB that was a no doubter to sign to a post-rookie deal.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2126 on: January 02, 2024, 10:38:21 AM »
When it comes to QBs, if you aren't 100% sure at the end of a guy's rookie contract, you start over.  The NFL is too small a sample size and has too much injury variability to have a template, but to the extent you can draw a curve to success, its the rookie QB deal.  Every team with double digit wins except the Browns and Lions have either a QB on a rookie deal or a QB that was a no doubter to sign to a post-rookie deal.

Starting over would mean the Bears would have to yet once again start from scratch. There is no patience for that and that would also mean a coaching change would be in order.

The only thing that makes sense then would be to sign Cousins to a two year deal, as the "next QB of the future" develops. There will be a lot of competition for KC.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 11:02:38 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2127 on: January 02, 2024, 10:49:49 AM »
Starting over would mean the Bears would have to yet once again start from scratch. There is no patience for that and that would also meaning a coaching change would be in order.

The only thing that makes sense then would be to sign Cousins to a two year deal, as the "next QB of the future" develops. There will be a lot of competition for KC.

Do the Bears want to pay Fields at the end of the rookie deal is the bottom line.  If the answer is yes, it won’t be a bargain deal.  He’ll want a legit extension.  Bears have a lot of cap room and can keep a lot of it by drafting Williams or Maye and not overpaying for a QB that may or may not be the guy
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2128 on: January 02, 2024, 10:50:32 AM »
Starting over would mean the Bears would have to yet once again start from scratch. There is no patience for that and that would also meaning a coaching change would be in order.

No patience from the ownership and front office? Not saying you are wrong but the Bears haven't appeared to be lacking in patience to win for a long time.

I'd guess and hope the owner, FO and even fans would sign up for another last place finish next year to have a top 5-10 QB for the next 10-15 years.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2129 on: January 02, 2024, 11:04:51 AM »

Not really. I think the notion that drafting a QB = starting from scratch has been largely dispelled.
Jacksonville was a playoff team in Lawrence's second season and likely will be in his third.
Houston could make the playoffs with a rookie Stroud.
Cincy was in the Super Bowl in Burrow's second season and played for the AFC Championship in his third.
KC was in the playoffs in Mahomes' second season (first as a starter) and won the Super Bowl in his third.
Houston was in the playoffs in Watson's second and third seasons.
Buffalo was in the playoffs in Allen's second season and every season since.
Baltimore went to the playoffs in Lamar's first three seasons.
Rams went to the playoffs in Goff's second season and the Super Bowl in his third.

Obviously, a team has to pick the right quarterback, but nothing in recent history suggests drafting one early = total rebuild and/or years of losing.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 11:07:12 AM by Pakuni »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2130 on: January 02, 2024, 11:05:16 AM »
Do the Bears want to pay Fields at the end of the rookie deal is the bottom line.  If the answer is yes, it won’t be a bargain deal.  He’ll want a legit extension.  Bears have a lot of cap room and can keep a lot of it by drafting Williams or Maye and not overpaying for a QB that may or may not be the guy
Then you'd need to use that space on KC, maybe even more.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2131 on: January 02, 2024, 11:10:10 AM »
Not really. I think the notion that drafting a QB = starting from scratch has been largely dispelled.
Jacksonville was a playoff team in Lawrence's second season and likely will be in his third.
Houston could make the playoffs with a rookie Stroud.
Cincy was in the Super Bowl in Burrow's second season and played for the AFC Championship in his third.
KC was in the playoffs in Mahomes' second season (first as a starter) and won the Super Bowl in his third.
Houston was in the playoffs in Watson's second and third seasons.
Buffalo was in the playoffs in Allen's second season and every season since.
Baltimore went to the playoffs in Lamar's first three seasons.
Rams went to the playoffs in Goff's second season and the Super Bowl in his third.

Obviously, a team has to pick the right quarterback, but nothing in recent history suggests drafting one early = total rebuild.

And then there are Mitch and Fields (let alone many other flame outs like Zach Wilson, Manzel, and TBD on Young).

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2132 on: January 02, 2024, 11:14:20 AM »
No patience from the ownership and front office? Not saying you are wrong but the Bears haven't appeared to be lacking in patience to win for a long time.

I'd guess and hope the owner, FO and even fans would sign up for another last place finish next year to have a top 5-10 QB for the next 10-15 years.

The McCaskey's are trying to build a new stadium and are about to ask their STH's, state and local governments to pony up very large amounts for seat licenses, tax relief and infrastructure. I'd say patience has about run out on another rebuild.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2133 on: January 02, 2024, 11:19:49 AM »
This is a tough call for Poles. The Bears are far from a great team and many holes to fill that cap space can be used for; plus the inexpensive, young and talented QB with a talented, expensive, roster is a proven recipe for success.
As a Bears fan I would love to think we have a superstar QB and we can use this massive draft capital for the balance of the roster. Not sure I can honestly say that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2134 on: January 02, 2024, 11:23:12 AM »
And then there are Mitch and Fields (let alone many other flame outs like Zach Wilson, Manzel, and TBD on Young).

Right, which is why I wrote "Obviously, a team has to pick the right quarterback"
If you pick the wrong guy, you're screwed whether he plays right away or sits two years behind Kirk Cousins.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 11:26:25 AM by Pakuni »

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2135 on: January 02, 2024, 11:25:19 AM »
The McCaskey's are trying to build a new stadium and are about to ask their STH's, state and local governments to pony up very large amounts for seat licenses, tax relief and infrastructure. I'd say patience has about run out on another rebuild.
If the "rebuild" is like the Chiefs' rebuild with Mahomes, sign me up. I'd say Smith was a better QB than Fields when KC moved on from him.

If drafting a QB means they are going to trade everyone good and tank like last year, I agree that will not fly.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2136 on: January 02, 2024, 11:29:04 AM »

Drafting a QB at isn’t a rebuild or start over.  With the cap space and draft capital in place, they’re in a prime position to make noise fast.

Also, as discussed, there will be some type of market for Fields.  Even if it’s just two picks, more capital. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2137 on: January 02, 2024, 11:48:56 AM »
Then you'd need to use that space on KC, maybe even more.

I think the Bears would be one of the last teams bidding on Cousins.

A 36 year old QB with ONE playoff win in his entire career? I'd talk Jay Cutler out of retirement before I'd sign Cousins.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2138 on: January 02, 2024, 11:53:31 AM »
Drafting a QB at isn’t a rebuild or start over.  With the cap space and draft capital in place, they’re in a prime position to make noise fast.

Also, as discussed, there will be some type of market for Fields.  Even if it’s just two picks, more capital.
I also am not tracking with the rebuild if you draft a QB. While picking a QB #1 usually means your terrible and have to rebuild, the Bears, to their credit, secured the #1 pick through a trade and the rebuild is well under way.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2139 on: January 02, 2024, 01:44:53 PM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2140 on: January 02, 2024, 01:50:01 PM »
The locker room culture is among the last things that should enter into this evaluation. 90% of the players in any NFL locker room are completely replaceable.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2141 on: January 02, 2024, 02:19:12 PM »
The locker room culture is among the last things that should enter into this evaluation. 90% of the players in any NFL locker room are completely replaceable.
This is especially true with the Bears. If the next QB throws 35TDs & 8 INTs next year the players will be like "Justin who?".

Just like Wojo, Justin checks all the boxes except game results.

I'm a lean to trade him, but it is not a slam dunk decision and I can follow the logic to keep him.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2142 on: January 02, 2024, 03:11:12 PM »
This is especially true with the Bears. If the next QB throws 35TDs & 8 INTs next year the players will be like "Justin who?".

Just like Wojo, Justin checks all the boxes except game results.

I'm a lean to trade him, but it is not a slam dunk decision and I can follow the logic to keep him.

If the next QB throws 35 TD?  Jordan Love has 30 TD passes and no Bears QB has ever done that.  ;)

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2143 on: January 02, 2024, 03:56:51 PM »
Can’t believe I have to cheer for the Bears this week.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2144 on: January 02, 2024, 03:59:19 PM »

Hey, it's an upgrade.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2145 on: January 02, 2024, 04:46:48 PM »

If the next QB throws 35 TD?  Jordan Love has 30 TD passes and no Bears QB has ever done that.  ;)
Not even the legendary Sid Luckman?  :D

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2146 on: January 02, 2024, 05:36:18 PM »

Where does the little ball land on this week's version of Viking QB roulette?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #2147 on: January 02, 2024, 06:25:50 PM »
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39219170/chicago-bears-quarterback-justin-fields-caleb-williams-drake-maye-no-1-pick-2024-nfl-draft

Interesting comments. Especially w/r/t locker room stability/culture

Why would Poles be gone. I didn’t even think that was a consideration but the article seems to allude it’s been on the table.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2148 on: January 02, 2024, 07:11:20 PM »
Why would Poles be gone. I didn’t even think that was a consideration but the article seems to allude it’s been on the table.

IMO, Kevin Warren is going to be VERY involved moving forward. So, if he doesn't like/want poles, then he's gone

tower912

• All American
Re: 2023-24 NFL Thread
« Reply #2149 on: January 03, 2024, 07:09:57 AM »
Probably not a great look for an NFL owner to be throwing a drink at an opposing team’s fan, out of his suite.

Not a good video.   However, if the Brad Allen crew had been reviewing it, they would have blamed the guy next to him and then blamed Richardson for confusing them by wearing street clothes.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.