collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Steve Bartman Gets a Ring  (Read 9909 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: Steve Bartman Gets a Ring
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2017, 12:13:22 PM »
I know Bartman was listening to the game.  I know that it is considered sports geek cool to listen to a baseball game while you are attending it.  But anytime I see someone wearing headphones at a sporting event, my snap judgement is "your isolated, your in your own little world, your not paying attention to the action on the field."  Even if you are listening to the game, I feel that wearing the headphones isolates you.

And yes, I know Cub fans are just like any other fan base with a cross-section of knowledgeable fans, bandwagon fans, and in between.  One of my best friends from college is a very knowledgeable Cubs fan.  The stereotype comes from the Cubs being called lovable losers for years, Wrigleyville being considered hip, and people dressing up to go to a baseball game like it's a nightclub.  Why can't they be more like us Packer fans, wearing their Mark Chmura jersey to church.

Got it - I misunderstood.

I don't think wearing headphones isolates you from what is going on in the game itself but maybe from your surroundings, although it's not something I've ever considered personally. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 12:15:09 PM by Vander Blue Man Group »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2017, 01:11:17 PM »
Would they?  No fan would be cognizant that there team is 5 outs away from the WS and realize that any chance a fielder has to record an out is precious.

At the time, probably not; however, just a few years later, I don't remember who was playing but I distinctly remember an October pop foul barely making it's way into the seats while the fans in the immediate vicinity were basically leaning as far backwards as possible, presumably in an effort to make the ball at catchable as they could.  This was a few years after Bartman, but very well seemed to be influenced by the incident (at least that's what the announcers surmised).

Today... who knows.  Depending on the stadium and the situation, I would suspect that many sitting along the rails in a meaningful game have at least made a mental note before the game about what to do if a foul ball comes their way... whether they act accordingly is a different story.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2017, 01:14:39 PM »
At the time, probably not; however, just a few years later, I don't remember who was playing but I distinctly remember an October pop foul barely making it's way into the seats while the fans in the immediate vicinity were basically leaning as far backwards as possible, presumably in an effort to make the ball at catchable as they could.  This was a few years after Bartman, but very well seemed to be influenced by the incident (at least that's what the announcers surmised).

Even in the still frame above, there are what I count to be 4 fans that could go for the ball but are pulling back with their arms deliberately away from the action.

I don't blame Bartman. There was a lot more going on than just his actions. But saying "anyone would do what he did" is just silly because while 2-3 others did what he did in that exact instance, 4 others did the opposite, and I've seen plenty of fans draw back away from the ball in an effort to make for an easier play.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2017, 01:15:09 PM »

...aaaaaaand, you lost me.

Let me clarify: You are paying attention to the field but may lack the situational awareness to realize the left fielder has a play on the ball when your team is 5 outs away from the World Series.  Sorry I wasn't clearer.  Time to look for a new editor for my Scoop posts.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2017, 01:21:47 PM »
How does listening to the game that you're watching result in not paying attention to the game you're watching?

It's a distraction that might make you less aware of the situation.  Not necessarily, but it's reasonable to consider Bartman was distracted.  Whether he was or not I do not know, since...newsflash...I'm not Bartman. Nor am I telepathic.

Also, when you're trying to act smarter than everyone, at least use proper grammar.

Trying to act smarter than everybody else?  What am I, a Cubs fan?  Just sharing my opinion.  And thanks for the grammar correction.  Clearly I didn't proofread before I hit post.