Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: another big donation  (Read 9571 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: another big donation
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 03:44:08 PM »
Milwaukee's median income is $116K?  Really?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 03:47:38 PM »

Re-read his post - he says 116k is (approximately) double the median...

However I think that number is way off too...
The median income for a house-hold in the city is $32,216, and the median income for a family is $37,879. Males have a median income of $32,244 versus $26,013 for females. The per capita income for the city is $16,181. 21.3% of the population and 17.4% of families are below the poverty line.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 04:19:01 PM by rocky_warrior »

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2007, 03:51:45 PM »
Denying that it was silly to call a "major" press conference for a $100,000 donation is ridiculous. It was a nice donation. Very, very generous. And it should have been announced in a press release.

This kind of stuff happens all the time around here. People point out instances of Crean acting like an egotistical ass and a dozen people blindly leap to his defense with claims such as the press conference "wasn't his idea" or that it was meant to "call attention to the soccer stadium" or it was a "marketing move." 

Keep believing that.

ACAT means, "All Crean, all the time."

As far as i'm concerned you didn't point out an instance of him being an "egotistical ass."  You just saw a smart marketing move through your poop-shaded anti-crean aviator sun glasses and started claiming it was an instance of such.  
You are the conspiracy theorist jumping on him more so than anyone one is jumping to defend him.  As a matter of fact no one is defending him.  They are all just saying, "yeah he's egotistical but why are you blaming him for this?"  Not that you can respond to that question because it would involve you arguing with logic rather than just stomping your feet screaming "I hate him and you won't change my mind!"

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2007, 04:25:26 PM »
TC and his wife probably talked about the announcement they were about to make, knowing beforehand that there would be some who'd use that angle to criticize, and more than likely just chose to do a good, noble thing anyway. I'm sure they knew that making their support public was as valuable to the project as the donation, and obviously that was the whole point.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 04:30:37 PM by MOwarrior »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2007, 04:32:21 PM »
$32K sounds about right.  For a second there I thought all the crappers in Milwaukee were plated with gold.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2007, 05:33:25 PM »
$32K sounds about right.  For a second there I thought all the crappers in Milwaukee were plated with gold.

not sure about the crappers but the tappers are!   8)

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2007, 06:45:44 PM »

Re-read his post - he says 116k is (approximately) double the median...

However I think that number is way off too...
The median income for a house-hold in the city is $32,216, and the median income for a family is $37,879. Males have a median income of $32,244 versus $26,013 for females. The per capita income for the city is $16,181. 21.3% of the population and 17.4% of families are below the poverty line.

correct on 116k being double the median
the median number I figured was for a couple (per the original poster).. median male + median female = $58,257.

Now I COULD go and use the median family income for marquette grads.. I am SURE that number is significantly higher than $58k.  Further, how many of those graduates give 10% of their post-tax salary to their place of work?  This is not even the place he went to school.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2007, 06:48:34 PM »
Doesn't it say median income for household is $32616?  I don't think you add the two numbers together.

Many households only one parent works or the other works part-time.  Thus the true median income is $32616, not the combo number.

At least that's the way I read it.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2007, 07:02:16 PM »
Doesn't it say median income for household is $32616?  I don't think you add the two numbers together.

Many households only one parent works or the other works part-time.  Thus the true median income is $32616, not the combo number.

At least that's the way I read it.

yes.. the original post said median income for a couple - so I said two-earner couple.  It doesn't even say a milwaukee couple.. I chose that because it is less than, say, a chicago couple and still makes the point.  like i said, there are "yeah buts" all over the place (in both directions) but the point holds.. it's ridiculous to say that the amount donated isn't as significant to crean as $1000 is to an average income couple.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

skyhook34

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2007, 11:55:38 PM »
Denying that it was silly to call a "major" press conference for a $100,000 donation is ridiculous. It was a nice donation. Very, very generous. And it should have been announced in a press release.

This kind of stuff happens all the time around here. People point out instances of Crean acting like an egotistical ass and a dozen people blindly leap to his defense with claims such as the press conference "wasn't his idea" or that it was meant to "call attention to the soccer stadium" or it was a "marketing move." 

Keep believing that.

You have been a Coach Crean detractor for years! Try another school and coach; you are definitely not a Marquette fan or supporter.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2007, 08:17:46 AM »

Keep believing that.

I have no "proof" that Crean didn't call the press conference.

BUT, I am in marketing for my profession, and the press conference looks to me like a marketing move to help draw attention to the soccer stadium. I'm not sure why that is so hard for people to believe. When Crean talks, people listen. MU is using one of its best promotional tools to help bring attention to the soccer stadium.

It's very similar to how MU uses Crean as the lead spokesman for Al's run. He does the radio and television spots, and he's all over at the event. Again, MU is using it's lead spokesman (the head coach) to help promote other events.

That makes sense, right? Believable, right? Plausible, right?

That's my reason for believing that Crean DID NOT call the press conference for self promotion.

HERE IS THE QUESTION FOR YOU:

What "proof" do you have that he actually was the one who wanted the press conference?

I mean, I know you think the guy is a cocky bastard, you've made that clear. But, I'm not sure you saying he's cocky is good enough rational for me to believe the MU let's him call his own pressers just to draw attention to himself.

What's your rational?

You think he's a jerk, so you think MU lets him do whatever he wants?

You think he's arrogant, so he must be donating money so he can have people pay attention to him?

PRN,

I'm still awaiting a response from you.

What rationale do you have for saying that Crean forced MU to call the presser so he could do some self promotion?

Again, I know you think he is arrogant (maybe he is), but I don't think that is proof that he made the donation so he could get more face time with the media.

Please re-read my rationale above regarding using the head coach for marketing purposes and let me know how/why you disagree.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2007, 11:40:36 AM »
What rationale do you have for saying that Crean forced MU to call the presser so he could do some self promotion?
[/quote]

Huh? Where do you see that I said the "Crean forced MU to call the presser?"

Although I wouldn't be surprised if the press conference was his idea, I am suggesting that Crean came forward with the donation, MU suggested a press conference, and Crean agreed. Rawdog's claim that it was a "smart marketing move" is ridiculous when you consider the reaction on not only this board, but on the heavily moderated other MU board.

It was a tacky, self-serving press conference. Period. PR gaffes are something MU has become painfully familiar with.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2007, 12:07:12 PM »

Huh? Where do you see that I said the "Crean forced MU to call the presser?"

Although I wouldn't be surprised if the press conference was his idea, I am suggesting that Crean came forward with the donation, MU suggested a press conference, and Crean agreed. Rawdog's claim that it was a "smart marketing move" is ridiculous when you consider the reaction on not only this board, but on the heavily moderated other MU board.

It was a tacky, self-serving press conference. Period. PR gaffes are something MU has become painfully familiar with.

[/i]

Wait, let me get this straight.

You are mad at Coach Crean for making a generous donation and agreeing to his EMPLOYER'S request to have a press conference to announce it?

I mean, I know in your mind the coach should have said "no"... but I'm not sure I want my basketball coach telling MU what he will and won't do. "No thanks Fr. Wild, I don't want to be at this press conference."

Also, how can you not see that this was marketing? This is almost the exact same thing as Al's run. They are using Crean to promote a cause. In this case it was donations to the soccer stadium.

swimmer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2007, 12:51:30 PM »
Congratulations.  This thread convinced me to finally sign up for a username.  I usually just come here to read news on MU basketball.

Anyways, I decided to post because the logic of this thread shows a common fallacy in comparing the rich and middle class: mainly that every incremental dollar has the same value to a person.  I'll illustrate with some made up numbers.

Let's give every family a basic standard of living that costs $25000 a year.  If after taxes a family earns $40000, that leaves them with $15000 in disposable income.  If they donate $1000 to MU that's 6.7% of disposable income.  The donation might mean they sacrifice a family vacation that year, or if they make that donation every year they might have to work an extra year before they can retire. 

Now let's calculate for someone clearing $1000000 a year:  $1000000 - $25000 = $975000 disposable income
$100000 donation / $975000 = 10.3% of disposable income.  This donation might mean the new yacht is 1 ft. shorter.

So yes, $100000 is still a nice donation, but it's not out of line to compare it to a $1000 donation from a median family in terms of sacrifice.  I'm grateful that so many of the hardworking and fortunate that have passed through Marquette have remembered their school, because us median folks could never match their dollar donations even if we collectively lived on rice and beans and squeezed blood out of stones. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2007, 01:30:19 PM »
Welcome aboard

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2007, 01:52:23 PM »
Also, how can you not see that this was marketing? This is almost the exact same thing as Al's run. They are using Crean to promote a cause. In this case it was donations to the soccer stadium.

Again...huh? Where did I say it wasn't for marketing purposes? I said it wasn't a "smart marketing move."

Your logic comparing this to Al's Run, an event that has been going on for more than 25 years, is totally off the wall and actually leads me to the conclusion that you have absolutely zero perspective on Marquette and Milwaukee.

Do you think people show up to Al's Run because of Tom Crean?!?! Good Lord are you out of your mind. They had 30,000 people participate when Bob Dukiet was the spokesman (or whatever they call it).

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2007, 03:04:24 PM »

Again...huh? Where did I say it wasn't for marketing purposes? I said it wasn't a "smart marketing move."

Your logic comparing this to Al's Run, an event that has been going on for more than 25 years, is totally off the wall and actually leads me to the conclusion that you have absolutely zero perspective on Marquette and Milwaukee.

Do you think people show up to Al's Run because of Tom Crean?!?! Good Lord are you out of your mind. They had 30,000 people participate when Bob Dukiet was the spokesman (or whatever they call it).

Your point about Dukiet is a good one, and I think this illustrates what I'm talking about.

The premier position at MU is the head basketball coach, regardless of who it is.

Soooo, when the head basketball coach donates a large sum to the school to help build a soccer stadium, the school uses it as a tool to help promote the campaign to get more donations. It's really that simple. Trust me.

Also, I believe this is the post (below) where you implied that you think Crean's ego had something to do with the press conference and that it wasn't a "marketing move". Re-read it. Honestly, if that isn't what you are implying, what the hell are you implying?

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 10:54:33 AM »
   Reply with quoteQuote

Keep believing that.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2007, 08:51:26 PM »
All I know is that I worked for Mr. Zilber during an Accounting internship (the man owned half of Milwaukee - the good half!) and I never met an alum more passionate....  Thank you for the donation and giving me my start Mr. Z!!!