Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: another big donation  (Read 9602 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
another big donation
« on: August 21, 2007, 12:07:06 PM »
An announcement from the Dean of the law school:

Marquette lawyer Joseph J. Zilber, of our Class of 1941, today announced a gift of $30 million, including $5 million towards the new building and $25 million to be associated with law student scholarships. This extraordinary generosity to the Law School and the community is a terrific reflection of both Joe's personal success and his desire to help others. I am very grateful to Joe for his confidence in us.

Since June a number of other alumni as well have rolled up their sleeves to help me move our law school project towards a reality. This includes two new (anonymous) pledges from alums of one million dollars each. There is still much work for us to raise the $20 million to complete the building project, but I am cautiously optimistic that we will raise in cash and pledges the $12 million of this that are needed by December 31, 2007 for us to break ground in March.

Ludum habemus.

snakesinthesnoilet

• Walk-On
Re: another big donation
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 12:26:15 PM »
interesting, why wouldn't he just allocate enought to take care of the remaining money needed for the new building and the remaining few million for scholarships? 

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 12:51:56 PM »
wow $25 million in scholarships is amazing.  $5 million for the building is still a huge contribution...it sounds like they can raise this money pretty quickly.  my sister is looking into law schools right now and if MU keeps this up i can see them in her top 2. 

augoman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 01:02:24 PM »
interesting, why wouldn't he just allocate enought to take care of the remaining money needed for the new building and the remaining few million for scholarships? 
because the $5million for the bldg has to be committed now, whereas the rest (scholarships) can be paid as used over any length designated by donor..., or could be set up as an endowment to be used until reaches the gifted amount, then revert to donor.

LovinCrowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 06:21:20 PM »
This is great news for Marquette.  The generosity of these donors is greatly appreciated.  My son, too, will be looking at law schools in a few years - this couldn't have come at a better time. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 06:26:10 PM »
It's absolutely amazing to me what is happening with "significant" donations to Marquette over the last few years.  Here's some fairly recent donations:

May 2004 - $18 Million for research inititives
May 2005 - $28 Million to College of Communications
December 2006 - $25 Million to College of Engineering
January 2007 - $5 Million to College of Engineering
May 2007 - $51 Million to Law School
June 2007 - $1 Million to Athletic Department
August 2007 - $30 Million to Law School

It's great to see Marquette receiving this type of donations, and I hope they continue.  These will go a long way in helping Marquette to climb the US News rankings (a topic of another thread).  As the endowment grows, the University should prosper.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 07:50:28 PM »

Put the pressure n the alums to ante up, thats why. Quite frankly, the University needs the financial aid money just as badly.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 09:00:03 AM »
I don't want to bring up a sour subject here... because obviously this is a tremendous gift and great news for the university.

But, is anybody going to rip this guy for demanding that MU make an official announcement so he can do more self promotion?  ::)

I mean, obviously the dollar amounts are different... but why did a lot of people accuse Crean of being an egotistical maniac when MU made the previous announcement about his donation, but not even a peep is made when this announcement occurs?

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 12:07:28 PM »
big article about the donation from the urinal

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=650473

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 12:27:03 PM »
I don't want to bring up a sour subject here... because obviously this is a tremendous gift and great news for the university.

But, is anybody going to rip this guy for demanding that MU make an official announcement so he can do more self promotion?  ::)

I mean, obviously the dollar amounts are different... but why did a lot of people accuse Crean of being an egotistical maniac when MU made the previous announcement about his donation, but not even a peep is made when this announcement occurs?

I think the difference between the two situations is that MU made a release that there was going to be a huge announcement the following day and everyone knew the time of the presser and everything well in advance so there was a great deal of anticipation leading to it.  However, in these cases, the first I had heard of anything at all was at the actual announcement, not the days leading up to it.  Either way, I was never one that whined about the manner in which MU handled TC's donation, but I think there is probably a difference in the way MU handled to pre-announcement stuff.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 02:08:33 PM »

I think the difference between the two situations is that MU made a release that there was going to be a huge announcement the following day and everyone knew the time of the presser and everything well in advance so there was a great deal of anticipation leading to it.  However, in these cases, the first I had heard of anything at all was at the actual announcement, not the days leading up to it.  Either way, I was never one that whined about the manner in which MU handled TC's donation, but I think there is probably a difference in the way MU handled to pre-announcement stuff.

You are close.  But the actual reason a few posters got upset when crean made the donation was because he had run over their dogs in his shiny new gold plated hummer.  That is the only logical explanation for their vehement anger towards him in everything he does.

And the reason it was handled differently was because the school decided that they would be able to get other alums donating by making the fact that crean was doing it such an big announcement.  It was a smart marketing move.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 04:13:43 PM »

You are close.  But the actual reason a few posters got upset when crean made the donation was because he had run over their dogs in his shiny new gold plated hummer.  That is the only logical explanation for their vehement anger towards him in everything he does.

And the reason it was handled differently was because the school decided that they would be able to get other alums donating by making the fact that crean was doing it such an big announcement.  It was a smart marketing move.

I agree with you completely. I think it was more of a marketing move for the university than a self-promotion move for our head coach.

I guess some people just don't like Coach Crean (for whatever reason) and they are always going to look for an angle to say something negative about him. I don't think Crean is perfect, but I also don't think he is the villain that some people like to make him out to be.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 08:03:05 PM »
ACAT
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 08:51:53 PM »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 09:21:41 AM »
ACAT

I guess this answers my question.

You don't like Crean, so given the slightest window, you're going to take your shots.

Fair enough.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 10:47:43 AM »
We Are Marquette

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 10:54:33 AM »
Denying that it was silly to call a "major" press conference for a $100,000 donation is ridiculous. It was a nice donation. Very, very generous. And it should have been announced in a press release.

This kind of stuff happens all the time around here. People point out instances of Crean acting like an egotistical ass and a dozen people blindly leap to his defense with claims such as the press conference "wasn't his idea" or that it was meant to "call attention to the soccer stadium" or it was a "marketing move." 

Keep believing that.

ACAT means, "All Crean, all the time."

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 11:41:42 AM »
Denying that it was silly to call a "major" press conference for a $100,000 donation is ridiculous. It was a nice donation. Very, very generous. And it should have been announced in a press release.

This kind of stuff happens all the time around here. People point out instances of Crean acting like an egotistical ass and a dozen people blindly leap to his defense with claims such as the press conference "wasn't his idea" or that it was meant to "call attention to the soccer stadium" or it was a "marketing move." 

Keep believing that.

ACAT means, "All Crean, all the time."

I have no "proof" that Crean didn't call the press conference.

BUT, I am in marketing for my profession, and the press conference looks to me like a marketing move to help draw attention to the soccer stadium. I'm not sure why that is so hard for people to believe. When Crean talks, people listen. MU is using one of its best promotional tools to help bring attention to the soccer stadium.

It's very similar to how MU uses Crean as the lead spokesman for Al's run. He does the radio and television spots, and he's all over at the event. Again, MU is using it's lead spokesman (the head coach) to help promote other events.

That makes sense, right? Believable, right? Plausible, right?

That's my reason for believing that Crean DID NOT call the press conference for self promotion.

HERE IS THE QUESTION FOR YOU:

What "proof" do you have that he actually was the one who wanted the press conference?

I mean, I know you think the guy is a cocky bastard, you've made that clear. But, I'm not sure you saying he's cocky is good enough rational for me to believe the MU let's him call his own pressers just to draw attention to himself.

What's your rational?

You think he's a jerk, so you think MU lets him do whatever he wants?

You think he's arrogant, so he must be donating money so he can have people pay attention to him?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 11:46:11 AM by 2002mualum »

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 11:46:57 AM »
Isn't the point to draw attention to the fund-raising campaign?  Now as of today, the 23rd of August, I can clearly tell you how much Tom Crean donated to the campaign but 3 days later or whatever it was I can't tell you the name of the guy who donated $30 million or even the name of the couple that donated $51 million a month or two ago.  I hate to say it but even if they had a press conference on national television for the other donors I still wouldn't remember their names or the reasons they donated so why not utilize TC's fame to bring attention to the campaign?  I may not be a marketing guru but that seems pretty smart whether TC initiated the Press conference or not.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 12:07:41 PM »
Isn't the point to draw attention to the fund-raising campaign?  Now as of today, the 23rd of August, I can clearly tell you how much Tom Crean donated to the campaign but 3 days later or whatever it was I can't tell you the name of the guy who donated $30 million or even the name of the couple that donated $51 million a month or two ago.  I hate to say it but even if they had a press conference on national television for the other donors I still wouldn't remember their names or the reasons they donated so why not utilize TC's fame to bring attention to the campaign?  I may not be a marketing guru but that seems pretty smart whether TC initiated the Press conference or not.

Bingo.

It's not that complex. That's why I don't understand why people don't see it for what it is.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 12:13:09 PM »
There's no question but that he's arrogant..., BUT, I want some arrogance in my coach.  If he doesn't have that swagger, that arrogance, how does he convince recruits that he's the best coach for them?  It's different than being a jerk, which is a possibility, but I don't know him personally.  As to his donation, I doubt that the 100k even covers his tax liability on the salary MU gives him.  It is a greater event when an average income couple donates 1k to MU- takes more sacrifice, costs them more dearly, requires more commitment.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 01:18:10 PM »
There's no question but that he's arrogant..., BUT, I want some arrogance in my coach.  If he doesn't have that swagger, that arrogance, how does he convince recruits that he's the best coach for them?  It's different than being a jerk, which is a possibility, but I don't know him personally.  As to his donation, I doubt that the 100k even covers his tax liability on the salary MU gives him.  It is a greater event when an average income couple donates 1k to MU- takes more sacrifice, costs them more dearly, requires more commitment.

Actually.... my calculations (which might be wrong - feel free to correct where appropriate) show that you are quite wrong..
Crean was reported by Cracked Sidewalks to make $1,547,044 as of May this year.  That puts him in the 35% tax bracket assuming he files as head of household (which means he pays $98,355.50 base and then 35% of income over $349,700 - or a total of $517,425.90) leaving him with about $1,029,618 after tax.  His donation of $100,000 is therefore 9.7123% of his post tax income.  The $100,000 is also less than 1/5th of his tax liability (write-offs excluded of course).

According to wikipedia men in milwaukee make a median income of $32,244; women in milwaukee make a median income of $26,013 - for a total median income for couples of $58,257.  This puts them in the 25% tax bracket assuming they file as head of household (which means they pay $5,837.50 base and then 25% of income over $42,650 - or a total of $9,739.25) leaving them with about $$48,517.75 after tax.  For them to contribute the same percentage that Tom Crean did, they would have to donate $4,712.21.

If you're making double the milwaukee median income ($116,514) you'd have to donate nearly $9,000 to match his post-tax contribution percentage.

Now.. I know there are lots of "yeah buts" here.. and I know this will be lost on some who see $1,547,044 for what it is - a LOT of money.  I have a "yeah but" of my own.. how many people do you think are donating nearly 10% or more of there post-tax income.  Guessing from posts that have said 95% of the donations have come from 5% or less of the donors I would say not very many.  Put up or shut up time - no shame in either route - but you have to take one or the other or both.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 01:25:14 PM »
There's no question but that he's arrogant..., BUT, I want some arrogance in my coach.  If he doesn't have that swagger, that arrogance, how does he convince recruits that he's the best coach for them?  It's different than being a jerk, which is a possibility, but I don't know him personally.  As to his donation, I doubt that the 100k even covers his tax liability on the salary MU gives him.  It is a greater event when an average income couple donates 1k to MU- takes more sacrifice, costs them more dearly, requires more commitment.

Actually.... my calculations (which might be wrong - feel free to correct where appropriate) show that you are quite wrong..
Crean was reported by Cracked Sidewalks to make $1,547,044 as of May this year.  That puts him in the 35% tax bracket assuming he files as head of household (which means he pays $98,355.50 base and then 35% of income over $349,700 - or a total of $517,425.90) leaving him with about $1,029,618 after tax.  His donation of $100,000 is therefore 9.7123% of his post tax income.  The $100,000 is also less than 1/5th of his tax liability (write-offs excluded of course).

According to wikipedia men in milwaukee make a median income of $32,244; women in milwaukee make a median income of $26,013 - for a total median income for couples of $58,257.  This puts them in the 25% tax bracket assuming they file as head of household (which means they pay $5,837.50 base and then 25% of income over $42,650 - or a total of $9,739.25) leaving them with about $$48,517.75 after tax.  For them to contribute the same percentage that Tom Crean did, they would have to donate $4,712.21.

If you're making double the milwaukee median income ($116,514) you'd have to donate nearly $9,000 to match his post-tax contribution percentage.

Now.. I know there are lots of "yeah buts" here.. and I know this will be lost on some who see $1,547,044 for what it is - a LOT of money.  I have a "yeah but" of my own.. how many people do you think are donating nearly 10% or more of there post-tax income.  Guessing from posts that have said 95% of the donations have come from 5% or less of the donors I would say not very many.  Put up or shut up time - no shame in either route - but you have to take one or the other or both.

You forgot Wiscosnins 7% income tax.
But I like to throw handfuls...

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 02:13:13 PM »
You forgot Wiscosnins 7% income tax.

Since it applies equally to all Wisconson'ites (or is it tiered like federal income tax?), it has no effect on the required amount to donate to equal Crean's percentage.  And yes, I double checked by rerunning the calculations.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 02:57:17 PM »
We're assuming this is $100,000 in 2007.  Typically a gift like this is spread over 5 years.  But that may not be the case here, but typically it is.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart