collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 318188 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #900 on: May 14, 2020, 07:38:43 AM »
Vos and Fitz missed out badly by not having a plan on Evers desk tomorrow morning.  The 6 day stay was erroneously reported earlier today, that would have been a good compromise, putting the deadline at May 21st.

To be fair, this is where the court erred.  They should have issued a stay to give time for something to happen.  Simply lifting the order is causing chaos.

I don't think their initial ruling was wrong however.  There were conflicting parts of state law, and when that happens the court is usually going to side with the one that requires legislative input. 

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #901 on: May 14, 2020, 07:40:39 AM »
People traveled with Safe at Home too.  This isn't the USSR.  Yet.  Papers?  Where are your papers?

You're smart enough to know that's not my point.  The point is having a patchwork of orders mostly means you have none.  If Milwaukee County is locked down but Waukesha County isn't, and you live in Tosa, you're going to Brookfield to eat then heading back to Tosa.

A uniform plan for the state is needed.  I hope Evers and the legislature can agree on something soon.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #902 on: May 14, 2020, 07:45:22 AM »
You're smart enough to know that's not my point.  The point is having a patchwork of orders mostly means you have none.  If Milwaukee County is locked down but Waukesha County isn't, and you live in Tosa, you're going to Brookfield to eat then heading back to Tosa.

A uniform plan for the state is needed. I hope Evers and the legislature can agree on something soon.

I too hope that people who can't stand each other would come together and do something for the people they represent.  But each sides heels are dug in as usual, so I am not holding my breath.

What we get is nothing because anything the Legislature passes Evers will throw in the garbage, and anything he asks for will be left out.  So those who want no restrictions win out.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #903 on: May 14, 2020, 07:53:09 AM »
Just saw the news. Yikes. Sconnies about to get sick.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #904 on: May 14, 2020, 08:01:42 AM »
Been living in the basement for the last 29 days and haven’t seen my children in the last 31 days because I’ve been working with COVID patients. But I finally get to today, since I don’t go back to COVID until Monday and it’s been 2 weeks. The back and forth on emotions is the worst part of all of this. Happy times are always interrupted by some impending doom set forth by something else. (Thanks Rebecca Bradley!)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #905 on: May 14, 2020, 08:03:21 AM »
Been living in the basement for the last 29 days and haven’t seen my children in the last 31 days because I’ve been working with COVID patients. But I finally get to today, since I don’t go back to COVID until Monday and it’s been 2 weeks. The back and forth on emotions is the worst part of all of this. Happy times are always interrupted by some impending doom set forth by something else. (Thanks Rebecca Bradley!)

Thanks for what you do -- that has to be incredibly hard.

• All American
« Reply #906 on: May 14, 2020, 08:06:31 AM »
I too hope that people who can't stand each other would come together and do something for the people they represent.

Exactly.  It is well past time for this.  All the usual nonsense can take a back seat for awhile. 

I don't think it will, but it most definitely should.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #907 on: May 14, 2020, 08:14:20 AM »

Exactly.  It is well past time for this.  All the usual nonsense can take a back seat for awhile. 

I don't think it will, but it most definitely should.

Hard to un-poison a well.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #908 on: May 14, 2020, 08:16:22 AM »
Agree a plan was needed was senseless to destroy the order with no plan.  No matter the side you take it works both ways always someone going to be unhappy.
Cant we all just get along

There is no more negotiations it is all or nothing no more meeting in the middle ground.  Fun times!!!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #909 on: May 14, 2020, 08:27:53 AM »
Agree a plan was needed was senseless to destroy the order with no plan.  No matter the side you take it works both ways always someone going to be unhappy.
Cant we all just get along

There is no more negotiations it is all or nothing no more meeting in the middle ground.  Fun times!!!

I mean, the legislature has only had two months to come up with something.  But they don't want anything so that is what we will get.  A smarter legislature would have sent multiple bills to Evers and make him look like the jerk for not being willing to compromise or for ignoring the 'will of the people'.  But we get what we have.  And we deserve it.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #910 on: May 14, 2020, 08:38:20 AM »
I mean, the legislature has only had two months to come up with something.  But they don't want anything so that is what we will get.  A smarter legislature would have sent multiple bills to Evers and make him look like the jerk for not being willing to compromise or for ignoring the 'will of the people'.  But we get what we have.  And we deserve it.

agree the bounce back plan seemed fair to me and we were headed in the right direction.  although the one part we had missing before we could move to phase 1 seemed like it would be hard to get past

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #911 on: May 14, 2020, 08:52:32 AM »
Any law talking guys explain:  Did SCOWIS give any explanation for no stay of their ruling? 

I can accept the legitimacy of the ruling.  The emergency powers laws have been cobbled together over decades and likely contain conflicting concepts and imprecision.   ~15 years ago, maybe society could have unified for a common good -- that's not the world we live in now.

But what I can't accept/believe is the lack of a stay of SCOWIS' order, which BOTH parties wanted.   Those 4 justices had to know not issuing a stay was an absolute hand grenade to public health.   It's just mind boggling that they had an option to BRIEFLY protect citizens and decided against it.

Why?

• All American
« Reply #912 on: May 14, 2020, 08:57:13 AM »
agree the bounce back plan seemed fair to me and we were headed in the right direction.  although the one part we had missing before we could move to phase 1 seemed like it would be hard to get past

Yep.  I think the BBB was well done, based on federal guidelines, and was being rolled out with the best of intentions.  Hopefully the legislature can either just endorse it and put a different label on it, or come up with something similar.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #913 on: May 14, 2020, 09:12:55 AM »
Another bad decision making international news and putting citizens at rush for Wisconsin. If all press is good press then I suppose you all are batting 1.000

MU82

• All American
« Reply #914 on: May 14, 2020, 09:20:16 AM »
Any law talking guys explain:  Did SCOWIS give any explanation for no stay of their ruling? 

I can accept the legitimacy of the ruling.  The emergency powers laws have been cobbled together over decades and likely contain conflicting concepts and imprecision.   ~15 years ago, maybe society could have unified for a common good -- that's not the world we live in now.

But what I can't accept/believe is the lack of a stay of SCOWIS' order, which BOTH parties wanted.   Those 4 justices had to know not issuing a stay was an absolute hand grenade to public health.   It's just mind boggling that they had an option to BRIEFLY protect citizens and decided against it.

Why?

This was my initial response to the news too, 'topper.

There are a lot of emotions on both sides of the issue, and each of us has an opinion. But to not give the sides a few days to try to agree to something ... and instead for four judges to unilaterally decide to hit the nuclear button ... wow. Judicial malpractice IMHO.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #915 on: May 14, 2020, 09:30:25 AM »
I could have put this in the "humor" thread, but it may be more sad than funny: 

Facebook post from a bar up in Door County:

BREAKING NEWS (AP) 8:46 am 5/14/2020

The Baileys Harbor Cornerstone Pub Supreme Court, in a 2-0, unanimous decision, declares that the WI State Supreme Court can OFFICIALLY go F*CK themselves...Justice Harper Salm stated “It seems unethical to put people into harm’s way as employers have to force employees back into jobs that take place in a now dangerous environment. ...

Justice Junah Koehler was more blunt, “I ain’t lettin’ those same four aholes in robes that forced my parents to vote in person, force them into working until they feel safe. crap, they didn’t even have the balls to sit in the same room to make the decision."

It seems until these two change their minds, the Cornerstone will be continuing curbside and carry up...will update this story as it develops...

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #916 on: May 14, 2020, 09:40:50 AM »

The Baileys Harbor Cornerstone Pub Supreme Court, in a 2-0, unanimous decision, declares that the WI State Supreme Court can OFFICIALLY go F*CK themselves...Justice Harper Salm stated “It seems unethical to put people into harm’s way as employers have to force employees back into jobs that take place in a now dangerous environment. ...

Justice Junah Koehler was more blunt, “I ain’t lettin’ those same four aholes in robes that forced my parents to vote in person, force them into working until they feel safe. crap, they didn’t even have the balls to sit in the same room to make the decision."

It seems until these two change their minds, the Cornerstone will be continuing curbside and carry up...will update this story as it develops...

That is funny.
Kind of like Faux pushing for their viewers to get out there and back to work and avoid stay at home orders while the Faux people are broadcasting from their homes and have a corporate mandated work from home order until the end of June?

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #917 on: May 14, 2020, 09:44:00 AM »

That stinks.  How have you been communicating with family?  Through FaceTime or some other app?  Enjoy the family time.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #918 on: May 14, 2020, 09:49:34 AM »

It will be interesting. I’m not in any rush to get back into a restaurant or bar anytime soon. Will people start bringing their own glasses?

I could see myself patronizing those that hold out and keep doing pick-up only. At least for a month or so.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #919 on: May 14, 2020, 10:00:25 AM »

Why?

Fun fact, not really!

Justice Roggensack wrote the majority opinion. In that opinion she wrote:

"We have declared rights under the law wherein we have concluded that Emergency Order 28 is invalid and therefore, unenforceable. Although a very unusual request, on April 21, 2020, the Legislature asked this court to issue a temporary injunction of Emergency Order 28 but then requested a stay of that injunction for at least six days. We perceive this request as being grounded in a concern for an orderly transition from Order 28 to a lawful rule.

However, more than two weeks have passed since we began our consideration of this case. Therefore, we trust that the Legislature and Palm have placed the interests of the people of Wisconsin first and have been working together in good faith to establish a lawful rule that addresses COVID-19 and its devastating effects on Wisconsin. People, businesses and other institutions need to know how to proceed and what is expected of them. Therefore, we place the responsibility for this future law-making with the Legislature and DHS where it belongs." (¶¶ 56-57, Internal citations omitted)

So, essentially she says "you wanted a stay, we took a while to issue the order, so in effect you got one. Hope you used that time wisely!"

But then, she also wrote a concurrence to her own majority opinion in which she wrote:

"Accordingly, although our declaration of rights is effective immediately, I would stay future actions to enforce our decision until May 20, 2020. However, I trust that the parties will place the interests of the people of Wisconsin first and work together in good faith to quickly establish a rule that best addresses COVID-19 and its devastating effects on Wisconsin." (¶65, emphasis added)

This is, not to put too fine a point on it, really strange. She writes in the binding portion of her opinion "you got a pretty good stay, so you're fine." and then writing in a non-binding portion of the opinion "but if I had my way I'd give you 6 more days...")

So, yeah. There ya go. That's the official explanation for the stay situation I suppose.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #920 on: May 14, 2020, 10:03:22 AM »

This is, not to put too fine a point on it, really strange. She writes in the binding portion of her opinion "you got a pretty good stay, so you're fine." and then writing in a non-binding portion of the opinion "but if I had my way I'd give you 6 more days...")

So, yeah. There ya go. That's the official explanation for the stay situation I suppose.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #921 on: May 14, 2020, 10:10:43 AM »
there is some fun, unintentional comedy in that opinion.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #922 on: May 14, 2020, 11:48:20 AM »
I too hope that people who can't stand each other would come together and do something for the people they represent.  But each sides heels are dug in as usual, so I am not holding my breath.

What we get is nothing because anything the Legislature passes Evers will throw in the garbage, and anything he asks for will be left out.  So those who want no restrictions win out.

Slim. slim chance.

0% chance that Vos and Fitzgerald will agree to what Evers wants (wonder if Vos will be wearing his hazmat suit when he talks on the phone to the governor).

2% chance that Evers will agree on a Vos plan.

This is not about Covid. It is about taking power from Evers. As we all know, this is not the 1st time.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #923 on: May 14, 2020, 12:13:58 PM »
Our favorite restaurant/watering hole posted in Facebook that they are going to take a couple of days to figure out a safe way to open before they actually do.  This is in a town with fewer than 1200 people, with the only Covid-related death in the county occurring a month ago.  I know I wish every place would employ the same level of caution. 

And if they go to limited occupancy (which I expect), I also hope that they decide who to let in based on the number of times they have ordered carryout from them in the last 9 weeks.
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #924 on: May 14, 2020, 12:39:58 PM »
Kenosha County, closed. Walworth County, open.

feedback