collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 318224 times)

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #825 on: April 30, 2020, 11:13:42 PM »

Don’t know if it’s true, but someone texted me that Governor Cuomo was forcing nursing home to admit or re admit positive testing patients while beds at the Javitts Center and on that ship that was sent to him went unused. Again, just something I was told, but if true he’s the only governor I know with blood on his hands.

I am not about to defend Cuomo but this appears to be crap originating from The New York Post. Can't find it substantiated in any legitimate news source. Wouldn't advise posting based on what "someone texted me ".

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #826 on: April 30, 2020, 11:22:59 PM »
I am not about to defend Cuomo but this appears to be crap originating from The New York Post. Can't find it substantiated in any legitimate news source. Wouldn't advise posting based on what "someone texted me ".

I clearly stated that this was only something I heard and that I could not vouch for its veracity. But I would advise also that saying it’s false because it was reported in the NY Post seems a bit out on the limb.

Edit: I just googled “Did Governor Cuomo force nursing homes to admit or re admit patients testing positive for Covid 19” multiple sources, including NBC news, say yes.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 11:30:01 PM by Lennys Tap »

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #827 on: April 30, 2020, 11:27:17 PM »
I clearly stated that this was only something I heard and that I could not vouch for its veracity. But I would advise also that saying it’s false because it was reported in the NY Post seems a bit out on the limb.

You obviously have little familiarity with the Post. Its like quoting Breitbart. But here's a legitimate story-
bottom line : its a dangerous dumb policy and it should be changed but "there is no evidence so far that the practice has allowed infections to spread in nursing homes"
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/24/us/nursing-homes-coronavirus.html

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #828 on: April 30, 2020, 11:38:36 PM »
You obviously have little familiarity with the Post. Its like quoting Breitbart. But here's a legitimate story-
bottom line : its a dangerous dumb policy and it should be changed but "there is no evidence so far that the practice has allowed infections to spread in nursing homes"
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/24/us/nursing-homes-coronavirus.html

So no evidence YET that the “Russian roulette” has resulted in any deaths. Maybe he’ll be lucky and his edict to force nursing homes to admit infected people when there are empty hospital beds elsewhere won’t kill anyone. But if that’s not a policy that willfully puts the most vulnerable at serious risk for no reason....

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #829 on: April 30, 2020, 11:50:56 PM »
So no evidence YET that the “Russian roulette” has resulted in any deaths. Maybe he’ll be lucky and his edict to force nursing homes to admit infected people when there are empty hospital beds elsewhere won’t kill anyone. But if that’s not a policy that willfully puts the most vulnerable at serious risk for no reason....

True. except the story indicates that Cuomo wasn't even aware of the policy so its not his "edict". And the policy exists in Jersy and California. Which may be damning with faint praise. Bear in mind that a few weeks ago there weren't empty hospital beds elsewhere - they were putting patients in Central Park.  Cuomo needs to be given some credit for the fact that we survived that.
My point is though that we should be careful about posting rumors and unsupported speculation. And I was surprised because you are usually someone who supports your statements.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #830 on: May 01, 2020, 12:02:35 AM »
Don’t know if it’s true, but someone texted me that Governor Cuomo was forcing nursing home to admit or re admit positive testing patients while beds at the Javitts Center and on that ship that was sent to him went unused. Again, just something I was told, but if true he’s the only governor I know with blood on his hands.

Lenny, it's not entirely true. What the policy is, is that patients discharged from the hospital will be returned to nursing facilities, PROVIDED, the nursing facilities are able to accept the patient and adequately treat the patient while keeping them isolated.

If they are unable to do so, the nursing facility is supposed to alert the hospital, and they will find alternative treatment options. No one is being forced to take anyone.

It is true that Javitt's has empty beds, but that is for patients admitted to hospitals then transferred to Javitt's, not discharged patients. So they can't be simply transferred to Javitt's (which is run by the feds).

I still agree, I think it is a bad policy, but we don't have COVID only recovery centers in the US, like other nations did at the federal level.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #831 on: May 01, 2020, 07:37:40 AM »
https://www.wbay.com/content/news/Wisconsin-sees-jump-in-new-coronavirus-cases-570085661.html
MADISON, Wis. (WBAY) - Wisconsin saw a jump in positive tests for the coronavirus in the state Department of Health Services' latest report.

There were 334 more confirmed cases since Wednesday. That's the largest number of new cases since the coronavirus was first reported in Wisconsin.

State health officials have said they expected more cases as testing ramps up, but Thursday's report represents 10.8% of the 3,098 tests that came back -- a sharp break from the recent downward trend.

There are now 6,854 confirmed cases, and 316 COVID-19 patients have died.

On a positive note, the DHS says 3,352 patients (49% of all cases) are considered recovered. Health Services considers a patient recovered if 30 days have passed since they first showed symptoms or were diagnosed, or health care workers documented that the patient's symptoms have resolved or they're out of isolation.

Testing reveals more people are positive than expected.  Glad that testing is ramping up.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #832 on: May 01, 2020, 08:47:44 AM »
As for the NY/Cuomo debate (which should be in some other thread):

This is a massive tsunami of overwhelming issues, and mistakes are going to be made. 

This isn't a war of success .. a more appropriate metric is who fails the least.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #833 on: May 01, 2020, 10:00:20 AM »
This isn't a war of success .. a more appropriate metric is who fails the least.

I'm reminded of the Teddy Roosevelt quote with this point.  It's a good point and I think those judged favorably long past this crisis will generally be those who can show their actions.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #834 on: May 01, 2020, 11:39:45 AM »
Patients test positive for weeks after initial positive test. We don’t know how long they are contagious, but the general assumption is that if they aren’t aerosolizing, they can’t spread the virus. So if nursing homes patients aren’t on high oxygen anymore, it’s assumed that they are not spreading it around. Whether that’s true or not, I have no idea.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #835 on: May 01, 2020, 07:46:33 PM »
We went to our other place (about 10 miles from Devils Lake) today. Very few people around. Just rode up by Lake Delton and hardly a car in sight with restaurants and hotels closed.

Will go hiking at Devils Lake tomorrow. I expect at least a few people there with 70 degree weather.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #836 on: May 02, 2020, 11:40:19 AM »
the ICU at Columbia/St. Mary’s and at St Joes is emptying out. Most of the really sick COVID patients have been discharged and doing better.
Ludum habemus.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #837 on: May 02, 2020, 06:21:52 PM »
the ICU at Columbia/St. Mary’s and at St Joes is emptying out. Most of the really sick COVID patients have been discharged and doing better.

Madison has less then 20 total all floors, all hospitals.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #838 on: May 02, 2020, 07:02:38 PM »
Well that is good news.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #839 on: May 02, 2020, 07:40:13 PM »
At Devils Lake today, it was fairly crowded - maybe half of what a normal 75 degree day in May would be. No large groups. Looked to be almost all single family units. I didn’t see any gathering of kids with more than three in the group.

Stopped at Menards. Masks were mandatory and no children under 16 allowed. Stopped at a Walmart to get a redbox movie. It was at 25% capacity. Looks like a big effort in a rural area to contain the virus.

People obviously listening to Evers and ignoring Vos/Fitzgerald.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #840 on: May 02, 2020, 08:52:40 PM »
Yep, that must be the case. Lol.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 08:54:38 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #841 on: May 03, 2020, 07:07:44 AM »
At Devils Lake today, it was fairly crowded - maybe half of what a normal 75 degree day in May would be. No large groups. Looked to be almost all single family units. I didn’t see any gathering of kids with more than three in the group.

Stopped at Menards. Masks were mandatory and no children under 16 allowed. Stopped at a Walmart to get a redbox movie. It was at 25% capacity. Looks like a big effort in a rural area to contain the virus.

Is it possible for you to make a statement without political commentary?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #842 on: May 03, 2020, 07:07:53 AM »

On Friday, the Kenosha Menards was full, literally looking for cars to leave for a spot. Decided to just hit up one in Illinois where people aren’t just out shopping for flowers and knick knacks.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #843 on: May 03, 2020, 12:41:54 PM »

Going to have to disagree.  The wife and FIL stopped at the Walmart in Delavan and said it was very busy, and basically no one was wearing a mask.

A step further, a lot of people from Dane County frequent the Devil's Lake area... so you're probably seeing a lot of them.

All of this is, of course, anecdotal.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #844 on: May 03, 2020, 01:26:16 PM »
Going to have to disagree.  The wife and FIL stopped at the Walmart in Delavan and said it was very busy, and basically no one was wearing a mask.

A step further, a lot of people from Dane County frequent the Devil's Lake area... so you're probably seeing a lot of them.

All of this is, of course, anecdotal.

Normally, I don’t shop at Walmart so I don’t even know if there are restrictions at the one in Racine. But there definitely are up here.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #845 on: May 03, 2020, 01:32:33 PM »
Is it possible for you to make a statement without political commentary?

So you think that since most people are following Evers’ recommendations and are against opening too soon is political?

It is simply fact. Evers issued safe-at-home. Vos is calling for opening up. Most people don’t want to play Russian roulette with their lives.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #846 on: May 03, 2020, 02:06:03 PM »

I rarely go to Walmart but Mrs. 82 and I went yesterday. It was quite crowded, and WAAAAAY too many people were not wearing masks. It was like being at an effen Mouth-Breather Convention.

Actually looking forward to going to Costco this week; they are requiring masks starting tomorrow.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #847 on: May 03, 2020, 03:23:37 PM »
The Wisconsin Hospital Association has a nice dashboard.  https://www.wha.org/COVID19Update  Admissions are up over the last week, however ICU patients are down.  Really can't stop any restrictions right now.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #848 on: May 03, 2020, 03:58:04 PM »
The Wisconsin Hospital Association has a nice dashboard.  https://www.wha.org/COVID19Update  Admissions are up over the last week, however ICU patients are down.  Really can't stop any restrictions right now.

looks like WI flattened the curve.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #849 on: May 03, 2020, 06:07:39 PM »
https://www.wbay.com/content/news/Wisconsin-sees-jump-in-new-coronavirus-cases-570085661.html
Testing reveals more people are positive than expected.  Glad that testing is ramping up.

Meh, we pretty much already knew that covid was very contagious and less deadly then what the stats said

feedback