Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU/Providence Game Thread  (Read 10123 times)

DoctorV

• All American
Re: MU/Providence Game Thread
« Reply #150 on: January 04, 2022, 09:53:48 PM »
Petal to the medal lets fu*king go!!!!

Man this one feels great.

What a performance, proud to be a Marquette fan tonight

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #151 on: January 04, 2022, 09:55:47 PM »
Last post for the night. I enjoy that in the "coach huddle" Shaka doesn't just randomly scream about effort, but actually talks about what they should be doing during the game. Wild.
Unleash

That is how a coach works a huddle. We have a big time coach and big time expectations for the program.

100%  That in the huddle segment was better coaching than anything I saw in 7 years of Wojo.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #152 on: January 04, 2022, 09:56:50 PM »
A younger me would be fretting about why MU hasn’t played like this all year, but the older me is just enjoying it

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #153 on: January 04, 2022, 09:57:15 PM »
Remember Dr. V, Providence is a very good defensive ball club.  We're a completely different team tonight on both ends of the floor.  It's only one game but it's does show we have potential.  I think the inside attack mindset opened up our entire arsenal and we have shown better patience offensively.  Defensively we have been steady and solid for the entire game.

Credit to you Muggsy you were calling for a slow down more patient attack from very early on, and most, including myself, thought it would never happened because that wasn’t the offensive style Shaka wanted.

I pointed out that it wasn’t really his offense, kudos to Shaka for implementing a change offensively

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #154 on: January 04, 2022, 09:58:15 PM »
We need walk-in’s!

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #155 on: January 04, 2022, 10:00:29 PM »
We broke Providence tonight. Unreal.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #156 on: January 04, 2022, 10:01:21 PM »
I wish we could have Kolek go back in time and teach Howard how to throw that pick-n-roll pass. I always felt that was the part missing from his game.

Or have Howard teach Kolek how to shoot like him.

Kolek and Howard on the court together would have been basically unstoppable.  Markus would have gotten even more wide open looks.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #157 on: January 04, 2022, 10:03:33 PM »
Very fun game! Big W. Let’s add to it Friday!
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #158 on: January 04, 2022, 10:05:02 PM »
Credit to you Muggsy you were calling for a slow down more patient attack from very early on, and most, including myself, thought it would never happened because that wasn’t the offensive style Shaka wanted.

I pointed out that it wasn’t really his offense, kudos to Shaka for implementing a change offensively

This is as good an overall  team performance as we have had in quite some time.  Great cohesion on both ends of the floor and tremendous unselfishness.  I think despite one 3 min stretch we passed the rock as well as we have all season. We also slowed down a bit and got much better shots.  It's obviously only one game but I do think there are huge positives to take from tonight.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #159 on: January 04, 2022, 10:07:00 PM »
Very fun game! Big W. Let’s add to it Friday!

Lol.  Coming from the guy who in the last 48 hours said "this team sucks."

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #160 on: January 04, 2022, 10:07:48 PM »
Prov goes zone.  MU is clueless... tons of turnovers.  Just gave back the entire good start.

And, I can see no reason that Shaka recruited OMAX.
Great take
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #161 on: January 04, 2022, 10:11:15 PM »
Unleash

That is how a coach works a huddle. We have a big time coach and big time expectations for the program.

Goose

Remember the projos who used to defend Wojo’s lack of leadership and strategy in the huddle? “Nobody uses the huddle to teach”, “You can’t talk strategy, the other team might be watching”, blah, blah, blah. Truth? He didn’t have anything instructive to say.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #162 on: January 04, 2022, 10:13:02 PM »
I wish we could have Kolek go back in time and teach Howard how to throw that pick-n-roll pass. I always felt that was the part missing from his game.

Or have Howard teach Kolek how to shoot like him.
Yes, the million and two times I screamed that the roller was open and we threw to him...twice.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #163 on: January 04, 2022, 10:14:50 PM »
Goose

Remember the projos who used to defend Wojo’s lack of leadership and strategy in the huddle? “Nobody uses the huddle to teach”, “You can’t talk strategy, the other team might be watching”, blah, blah, blah. Truth? He didn’t have anything instructive to say.
How is "Play Harder! <pause> Play harder! <pause> Play harder!" not instructive?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 10:22:48 PM by TSmith34 »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #164 on: January 04, 2022, 10:16:46 PM »
Lenny

I loved getting bashed for commenting on the huddle talk from Wojo. Shows the basketball IQ of many on a message board. Impressive performance tonight, by the way.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #165 on: January 04, 2022, 10:17:33 PM »
How is "Play Harder! <pause> Play harder! <pause> Play harder!" not instreuctive?

Perfect description - made me laugh!

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #166 on: January 04, 2022, 10:17:40 PM »
Yes, the million and two times I screamed that the roller was open and we threw to him...twice.

It was very frustrating and always made me wonder “why not just slip a pass there Markus?!?”

Then I realized he was a very very tiny dude. I’ve never played basketball at a high level but I can imagine that it’s very hard for a little guy like Markus to be able to have the vision and ability necessary to make those passes like Kolek can.
Markus was clearly wired/taught/gifted to score, not to find the open guy.

We’ve got another little guy coming next year and we will see how his passing on drives to the paint compare to Koleks, but Tyler’s vision and ability to make those reads and the perfect pass are an incredible gift

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #167 on: January 04, 2022, 10:22:39 PM »
Lenny

I loved getting bashed for commenting on the huddle talk from Wojo. Shows the basketball IQ of many on a message board. Impressive performance tonight, by the way.

Right there with you Goose.  I think I was banned from Scoop 6 times during the Wojo years.   8-)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #168 on: January 04, 2022, 10:25:07 PM »
My god.

Huddles? Seriously?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #169 on: January 04, 2022, 10:30:04 PM »
My god.

Huddles? Seriously?

His in game coaching and roster management was equally awful and evident.  The huddles just gave a close up of how little impact, and ideas he had as a coach.  But enough about the past...are you more excited about MU hoops now or during the Wojo years?!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #170 on: January 04, 2022, 10:36:59 PM »
My god.

Huddles? Seriously?

Goose

Exhibit A

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #171 on: January 04, 2022, 11:06:14 PM »
Goose

If Shaka saying "Don't foul, don't give up offensive rebounds, don't give up threes" is "talking strategy" then you and I actually agreed for years!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #172 on: January 04, 2022, 11:17:48 PM »
There was nothing slow about the offense tonight. Over 80 possessions this game (would rank #1 in the country if that was our average). We were a lot slower in our three most recent losses. Difference was that our guys were able to beat their defenders both on and off the ball and get into the key for easy shots and kick outs.

Edit: Whoops. I did the possessions calculation in my head and messed it up. The actual number was 64, which would rank towards the bottom of D1 if we averaged it. I'd have to watch the game again but my recollection was that we weren't playing deep into the shot clock that often. We did make Providence play deep into the shot clock often which may have driven the possession numbers down.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 08:05:15 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #173 on: January 04, 2022, 11:19:55 PM »

There was nothing slow about the offense tonight. Over 80 possessions this game (would rank #1 in the country if that was our average). We were a lot slower in our three most recent losses. Difference was that our guys were able to beat their defenders both on and off the ball and get into the key for easy shots and kick outs.
Exactly…

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2022, 11:50:44 PM »
Shake Shack

feedback