[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU/Providence Game Thread  (Read 9726 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: MU/Providence Game Thread
« Reply #175 on: January 05, 2022, 06:16:23 AM »
I am confused on all the slowdown talk. That was a highly efficient half court offense, but not slowed down in my book.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #176 on: January 05, 2022, 07:24:11 AM »
I am confused on all the slowdown talk. That was a highly efficient half court offense, but not slowed down in my book.

Efficient and in control for sure. I think that was what felt like a "slowdown" for lots.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #177 on: January 05, 2022, 09:21:24 AM »
The offense sure does feel a lot different, that’s for sure.

Apparently it wasn’t “slowed down” in terms of possessions, but last nights offense just seemed so different. Maybe it’s just because it was working, but I feel like Shaka has tweaked some things with regards to shot selection and playing more in control and thru better passing more interior play.

One example I can give us that off the top of my head I don’t really recall more than 2 really bad and rushed 3P attempts- one was Kolek that he really rushed and wasn’t opened, shouldn’t have taken it. Another was Kam from way downtown and he’s allowed to do that every so often, he made it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #178 on: January 05, 2022, 09:27:43 AM »
Doctor

The big difference was making the shots. Once they started making the shots the game got easier. They have been so tight shooting the ball that I am surprised we have not blown out in ten games. For the first time last night they started quickly, and the game slowed down for the guys.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #179 on: January 05, 2022, 09:29:31 AM »
MU focused on getting to the rim, both off of the dribble, and off the pick and roll.    Providence was a step or two slow all night, both in P &R defense and recovering to shooters.    Maybe staying in the Midwest after their Depaul game left them flat.    Who knows?    MU attacked from the start and Providence had no answers. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #180 on: January 05, 2022, 09:30:53 AM »
Nolongerwarriors didn’t post in the game thread 😂
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #181 on: January 05, 2022, 09:40:41 AM »

The pace yesterday was 64. MU’s average is 73. The D1 average is 69. MU made a concerted effort to feed the paint in the half court where they outscored PC 38-28. It was just more efficient (1.37). As Badger Butch pointed out, MU was running their offense more with a purpose.

Granted, part of this slower pace was driven by PC’s tendencies and MU’s defense, but MU was much more patient offensively (with a few exceptions like when PC switched to a zone in the 1H). It was also MU’s lowest turnover rate and highest OR% rate of the season.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #182 on: January 05, 2022, 09:43:33 AM »
The pace yesterday was 64. MU’s average is 73. The D1 average is 69. MU made a concerted effort to feed the paint in the half court where they outscored PC 38-28. It was just more efficient (1.37). As Badger Butch pointed out, MU was running their offense more with a purpose.

Granted, part of this slower pace was driven by PC’s tendencies and MU’s defense, but MU was much more patient offensively (with a few exceptions like when PC switched to a zone in the 1H). It was also MU’s lowest turnover rate and highest OR% rate of the season.

I would love to see what our average possession length was last night. We've taken so many shots this year with less than 10 seconds off the shot clock, I feel like we're better in that 12-18 range. I think much of the low possession total last night was Providence playing slow both because that's what they do (#305 in average offensive possession length) and what we force (#320 in average defensive possession length).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #183 on: January 05, 2022, 11:16:47 AM »

So it seems my eye test was accurate then, after all.