'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Polls, NET Rankings and Team Sheets  (Read 110743 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Big East Polls, NET Rankings and Team Sheets
« Reply #625 on: February 28, 2022, 08:48:03 AM »
TeamRankings Logo Marquette Logo   
Marquette Basketball
Predictions Update
Feb 27, 2022
•   After beating Butler 64-56 yesterday, Marquette is now projected to finish the regular season 19-11 (11-8 Big East).
•   We currently rank Marquette as the #41 team in the country, and the #6 team in the Big East.
•   Next game: Wed, Mar 2 at #94 DePaul. Our power ratings give the Golden Eagles a 57% chance to win.
Bracketology Projections
Make NCAA Tournament 100%
Get Automatic NCAA Bid 8%
Projected Seed 8

Yuck! Sure who wouldn't like to be a 6 or 7, I'd rather be a 10 or 11 as you play a 6 or 7 anyway than a 8 or 9.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #626 on: February 28, 2022, 09:03:04 AM »
Yuck! Sure who wouldn't like to be a 6 or 7, I'd rather be a 10 or 11 as you play a 6 or 7 anyway than a 8 or 9.

Unless we get up to a 6. It doesnt matter much.

8/9 sucks typically. But for us the second game is gonna be all about getting the right 1 or 2 seed anyways.

We could be an 8 that is assigned to 1 seed Baylor. Or a 7 with 2 seed Kentucky.

I want Baylor without hesitation.

Kentucky is the biggest nightmare for us. Unless they somehow move up to a 1(unlikely at this point) I basically wanna stay outta 7/10 to avoid that match up at all costs.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #627 on: February 28, 2022, 11:53:52 AM »

8/9 sucks typically. But for us the second game is gonna be all about getting the right 1 or 2 seed anyways.

We could be an 8 that is assigned to 1 seed Baylor. Or a 7 with 2 seed Kentucky.

Kentucky is the biggest nightmare for us. Unless they somehow move up to a 1(unlikely at this point) I basically wanna stay outta 7/10 to avoid that match up at all costs.
We always beat Kentucky in NCAAT....
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #628 on: February 28, 2022, 12:02:06 PM »
We went down 2 spots in the NET after winning and then up 2 spots after not playing.

We're 57% likely to beat DePaul, and probably even more likely to beat St. John's, but we're projected to only go 1-1 in those 2 games.

Can't beat this stuff for fun!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #629 on: February 28, 2022, 12:15:42 PM »
We went down 2 spots in the NET after winning and then up 2 spots after not playing.

We're 57% likely to beat DePaul, and probably even more likely to beat St. John's, but we're projected to only go 1-1 in those 2 games.

61% vs. DePaul, 72% vs. SJU, per Kenpom.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #630 on: February 28, 2022, 12:35:07 PM »
Big East Poll Rankings as of February 28,2022

AP
9. Cooley & Company
11.Nova
18. U Conn
Others Receiving Votes
MU
Coaches
8. Cooley & Company
11.Nova
19. U-Conn
Others Receiving Votes
MU, The Hall, Creighton
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #631 on: February 28, 2022, 01:02:50 PM »

I think Illinois win helped
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #632 on: February 28, 2022, 01:23:41 PM »

Didn't beat Butler by as much as we were supposed to which is the main reason we moved down.

We moved up because Illinois got a big win over Michigan which improved our score...and also dropped Michigan from above us to below us. DePaul also beat St. John's so that improved our score because we haven't played SJU yet (will correct once we do play them).

We're actually projected as having a 61% chance at beating DePaul and a 72% chance of beating St. John's. The reason we are projected to go 1-1 is because you don't look at every game individually, you look at all the the remaining games together. To calculate that, you multiple 61% by 72% which gives you 43.9%. So KenPom is giving us 43.9% chance to go 2-0, a 10.9% chance of going 0-2, and a 45.2% chance of going 1-1.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #633 on: February 28, 2022, 01:34:13 PM »
Marquette is 29th in Coaches Poll and 34th in AP Poll

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #634 on: February 28, 2022, 01:37:14 PM »
Didn't beat Butler by as much as we were supposed to which is the main reason we moved down.

We moved up because Illinois got a big win over Michigan which improved our score...and also dropped Michigan from above us to below us. DePaul also beat St. John's so that improved our score because we haven't played SJU yet (will correct once we do play them).

We're actually projected as having a 61% chance at beating DePaul and a 72% chance of beating St. John's. The reason we are projected to go 1-1 is because you don't look at every game individually, you look at all the the remaining games together. To calculate that, you multiple 61% by 72% which gives you 43.9%. So KenPom is giving us 43.9% chance to go 2-0, a 10.9% chance of going 0-2, and a 45.2% chance of going 1-1.

Not much though will it?

I mean we play DePaul for a second time on Wednesday then SJU on Saturday. So DePaul will still hold more weight.

By playing SJU finally all their results will finally have an actual impact though I guess.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #635 on: February 28, 2022, 01:39:46 PM »

If you can't be a 6 the way I see it an 11 is just as good. If you win that game you play the 3. For the stat guys is there really that much of difference between the 6-11 seeds.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 01:43:13 PM by muwarrior69 »

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #636 on: February 28, 2022, 01:42:35 PM »
If you can't be a 6 the way I see it an 11 is just as good. If you win that game you play the 3.

Yes of course.

But two things

1. your first round game is still much tougher than what youd ideally want

2. There is almost no way we end up a 11 seed. To get that we literally have to actively cheer  for the team to lose their last 3...and even that leaves a 11 seed as unlikely. I for one will not be cheering for 3 losses.

So time to play for a 6. Otherwise pray we don't get a one of the top dogs with dominate bigs.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #637 on: February 28, 2022, 02:05:54 PM »

if DeP beats us by double-figures, I won’t be surprised. Hopefully the ‘home’ crowd helps.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #638 on: February 28, 2022, 02:23:54 PM »
The spread was 8.  MU won by 8.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #639 on: February 28, 2022, 02:38:19 PM »

That was the betting line.  However if you look at the current Sagarin numbers (albeit this is now post game) we should have won by 11.5.  Not sure if the other metrics also expected a larger win but I would not be surprised.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #640 on: February 28, 2022, 02:40:05 PM »

Pomeroy / Torvic expected a 11/10.8 point spread.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #641 on: February 28, 2022, 02:51:27 PM »
I guess MU should have started playing defense sooner.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #642 on: February 28, 2022, 03:26:53 PM »
if DeP beats us by double-figures, I won’t be surprised. Hopefully the ‘home’ crowd helps.

I think MU matches up pretty well with DePaul. They will kill us on the boards, but other than that we should have the advantages. They don't play defense well and on offense they are very ISO heavy. The way to beat MU seems to be attack our aggressive closeouts and rotate the ball, forcing MU to scramble. DePaul doesn't do a lot of that.

Most importantly, they don't defend the pick and roll very well.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #643 on: February 28, 2022, 05:01:05 PM »
Truthfully, I cannot believe all of the comments about being worried about the DePaul game. Sure, you can lose any game that you play, but I think both sides of shown a body of work this season and I like ours better.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #644 on: February 28, 2022, 05:16:13 PM »
Truthfully, I cannot believe all of the comments about being worried about the DePaul game. Sure, you can lose any game that you play, but I think both sides of shown a body of work this season and I like ours better.

Especially since we will have the home crowd…

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #645 on: February 28, 2022, 05:55:37 PM »
Goose - the COLE is still strong in some. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #646 on: February 28, 2022, 06:08:58 PM »
Goose - the COLE is still strong in some.

Like this guy?

Savor the Butler win - the way they are playing, it may be the last win of this season.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #647 on: February 28, 2022, 06:12:07 PM »

romey

• All American
« Reply #648 on: February 28, 2022, 06:22:27 PM »
A win at DePaul and at home vs. StJ would be quad 2 wins for us based on the NET Rankings today.  Then if Seton Hall can win big vs. GTown and beat Creighton on the road, then our home victory against the Hall earlier in the year should become a Quad 1.  SH is a 32 NET rank now and home wins vs. 30 NET rank or better are Quad 1's.  So before the BET we can pick up 2 quad 2 wins and a quad 1.  Of course, the Creighton away loss could drop for a Quad 1 to a 2, so....

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #649 on: February 28, 2022, 08:16:12 PM »
That's not COLE...  I have much higher expectations than how they are current playing. They have been playing like crap for long stretches, and they may not win again this year unless they improve.  I expect them to improve.

Like this guy?