[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Twenty Years ago today we lost Mr. Farley. RIP  (Read 5502 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Twenty Years ago today we lost Mr. Farley. RIP
« on: December 18, 2017, 05:29:22 PM »
Funny talent, gone way too young. 

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Twenty Years ago today we lost Mr. Farley. RIP
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 05:32:12 PM »
We didn't "lose" him.

He killed himself.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 05:33:48 PM »
We didn't "lose" him.

He killed himself.

He accidentally overdosed, his intent wasn't to kill himself.  His fans lost him, whether he did it intentionally or not. 
— Plato

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 09:38:09 PM »
He accidentally overdosed, his intent wasn't to kill himself.  His fans lost him, whether he did it intentionally or not.

You may be right - and he was a comedic genius. But whether intentional of not - he killed himself.

I'm all for the decriminalization of drugs, but like Belushi, it was just a matter of time till Chris overdid it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 09:48:48 PM »
You may be right - and he was a comedic genius. But whether intentional of not - he killed himself.

I'm all for the decriminalization of drugs, but like Belushi, it was just a matter of time till Chris overdid it.

I'm curious where you draw the line of ill-advised activities that might very well end in death.

People who overeat to morbid obesity and end up dying of heart disease?

Smokers who die of lung cancer?

A rock climber who dies falling off of El Capitan?

All of them did things that make premature death significantly more likely.  Did they all kill themselves?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 12:18:37 AM »
I'm curious where you draw the line of ill-advised activities that might very well end in death.

All of them did things that make premature death significantly more likely.  Did they all kill themselves?

Whoa. You are way overthinking this.

On this particular day, Farley put massive quantities of drugs into his body. He then died. So, yes, he killed himself.

Unless, that is, you think ingesting massive quantities of drugs wasn't what caused his death.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 06:40:35 AM »

Farley had all that covered with the exception of rock climber, loved the guy but he was a ticking time bomb. Everyone, including Chris knew he was killing himself.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 07:41:46 AM »
Furst tyme Eye’ve sided wit Brandy. Gotta bee xmas or somethin’ in da wadder, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 07:47:26 AM »
We didn't "lose" him.

He killed himself.

While all of that is absolutely true, I don't see any reason to dance on a man's grave.  Everyone acknowledges that Chris led a reckless lifestyle, something his contemporaries all the way back at MU even understood at the time.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 10:39:15 AM »
Furst tyme Eye’ve sided wit Brandy. Gotta bee xmas or somethin’ in da wadder, hey?

I put your reply through the translator on Google - and have decided to change my mind. 8-)

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 10:40:50 AM »
While all of that is absolutely true, I don't see any reason to dance on a man's grave.  Everyone acknowledges that Chris led a reckless lifestyle, something his contemporaries all the way back at MU even understood at the time.

Overreach, much?

I danced on his grave?

I SIMPLY pointed out that WE didn't lose him. We/I had nothing to do with his dying. He did it all by himself.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 10:49:14 AM »
Overreach, much?

I danced on his grave?

I SIMPLY pointed out that WE didn't lose him. We/I had nothing to do with his dying. He did it all by himself.

I stand by my statement.  Think of it this way.  Would you have said that to Chris' mom?  I sure hope not.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 10:54:11 AM »
Overreach, much?

I danced on his grave?

It was a sh*tty and unnecessary response. 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 11:03:55 AM »
I stand by my statement.  Think of it this way.  Would you have said that to Chris' mom?  I sure hope not.

I am sure that she knows he died because he injected drugs into himself. I don't think she blames me (or society, in general). It was all his doing.

Sad? Of course. but neither you nor I were responsible. He was. I guess I am one of those out-of-touch people who thinks we are each responsible for our actions.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 11:08:45 AM »
I am sure that she knows he died because he injected drugs into himself. I don't think she blames me (or society, in general). It was all his doing.

Sad? Of course. but neither you nor I were responsible. He was. I guess I am one of those out-of-touch people who thinks we are each responsible for our actions.

No one is suggesting that he didn't do it to himself.  Dad simply put up an In Memoriam and you couldn't either be silent or say something nice like 'Shame he passed so young.'  That is all I'm saying.  Have a great holiday season.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 11:54:14 AM »
Jockey:

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 12:12:58 PM »

It's entirely possible to recognize that Farley was responsible for his own death AND be sympathetic about it. The two things aren't mutually exclusive.
And if you've ever dealt with an addiction, or been close to someone who has, you'd perhaps understand that concepts like "responsibility" and "blame" aren't so clear cut.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 12:32:30 PM »
I am sure that she knows he died because he injected drugs into himself.

I'm sure that she does.  I wonder if she takes any solace in knowing that she didn't "lose" her son.  Perhaps you should phone her and brighten her day.  Rather, perhaps you should stop being a pedantic d-bag and recognize that there is absolutely nothing inconsistent with the unfortunate circumstances of Farley's death and saying that we "lost" him (which we, and more importantly she, did).

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 01:33:35 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 03:59:18 PM »
I put your reply through the translator on Google - and have decided to change my mind. 8-)

Google Translator has a 4never option now?  What's next, self driving cars?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 05:06:05 PM »
I'm sure that she does.  I wonder if she takes any solace in knowing that she didn't "lose" her son.  Perhaps you should phone her and brighten her day.  Rather, perhaps you should stop being a pedantic d-bag and recognize that there is absolutely nothing inconsistent with the unfortunate circumstances of Farley's death and saying that we "lost" him (which we, and more importantly she, did).

Ah... stooping to name-calling. You win ;D ;D ;D

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2017, 10:02:54 PM »
It's entirely possible to recognize that Farley was responsible for his own death AND be sympathetic about it. The two things aren't mutually exclusive.
And if you've ever dealt with an addiction, or been close to someone who has, you'd perhaps understand that concepts like "responsibility" and "blame" aren't so clear cut.

This thread didn't go where my intentions were, but we are on same page.

Chris' actions certainly contributed to his demise, but that doesn't mean as fans, friends, loved ones we didn't lose him either.  Both not only can be true, but are true.   I'm puzzled at Jockey's argument here.  We lost a funny man.  Some lost a brother, a friend, an uncle.  It doesn't matter that his lifestyle led to his death, we still lost him. 
— Plato

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2017, 11:29:21 PM »
This thread didn't go where my intentions were, but we are on same page.

Chris' actions certainly contributed to his demise, but that doesn't mean as fans, friends, loved ones we didn't lose him either.  Both not only can be true, but are true.   I'm puzzled at Jockey's argument here.  We lost a funny man.  Some lost a brother, a friend, an uncle.  It doesn't matter that his lifestyle led to his death, we still lost him.

At a Planet Hollywood in Indianapolis, Chris Farley, sweating profusely, grossly overweight, and acting completely out of it, was hamming it up for the crowd by dousing himself with a bottle of milk like an Indy 500 race winner on a calcium bender. One of Farley’s friends saw nothing amusing about the spectacle and pulled the actor aside and said, ”Hey, you gotta take it easy.” Farley flashed one of his naughty-boy grins and uttered ”I want to live fast and die young.” Shortly afterward, he got his wish.

All I was saying is that "we" didn't lose him. I greatly enjoyed his humor. It is sad to people who knew him that he is gone. But it had nothing to do with "we". We didn't know him. Maybe I just need to take death euphemisms more seriously. Apparently others do much more than I thought.

At least actors/comedians get to die in peace. When musicians die, they end up working harder and releasing more albums than when they were alive. Oops, I did it again. I'll try to be more somber about this whole death thing.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2017, 08:04:39 AM »
Using Jockey's logic:

A person who smokes and dies of lung disease killed himself.
A person who loses control of his car in a snowstorm and dies in a crash killed himself.
A person who ignores a weird-looking mole on his leg for years and then discovers he has terminal melanoma killed himself.

Anyone who is even slightly familiar with Chris Farley's story knows that he suffered from several mental health issues that were not being successfully treated.  It doesn't make his death any less tragic.
Have some patience, FFS.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2017, 09:19:36 AM »

All I was saying is that "we" didn't lose him. I greatly enjoyed his humor. It is sad to people who knew him that he is gone. But it had nothing to do with "we". We didn't know him. Maybe I just need to take death euphemisms more seriously. Apparently others do much more than I thought.

There are those, like myself, who didn't know him and were saddened by his death.

Keep digging.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2017, 09:49:08 AM »

We knew his art.  When Glen Frey died, I didn't know him but I appreciated his music and felt a loss.  A loss for all of us that cared about the music.  Robin Williams.  Tom Petty.  The local guy down the street that used to deliver your paper.  You sister's old boyfriend.  It doesn't matter.

Man, you have a wicked insensitive streak in you it seems.

— Plato

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2017, 10:51:01 AM »
To be clear, many of us on this board did know Chris.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2017, 10:54:52 AM »
We knew his art.  When Glen Frey died, I didn't know him but I appreciated his music and felt a loss.  A loss for all of us that cared about the music.  Robin Williams.  Tom Petty.  The local guy down the street that used to deliver your paper.  You sister's old boyfriend.  It doesn't matter.

Man, you have a wicked insensitive streak in you it seems.

I agree with what you say here.

When I think of "loss" however, I think of it in terms of friends and family. They faced real suffering and loss that lasted much, much longer than the few minutes that we may reflect after someone famous dies.

I acknowledge the deaths of these artists and the work they did, but I didn't lose them.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2017, 07:09:50 PM »
We - humankind - lost Chris Farley.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2017, 07:17:23 PM »
We - humankind - lost Chris Farley.

No Mas. Semantic arguments can go on forever.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2017, 08:35:44 PM »

i have to go with this one-the dude had addiction issues.  he was so f'ed up, he didn't realize what he was doing to himself.  his normal was wasted.  when you are f'ed up, one doesn't know how much or what he his doing to himself.  is that an excuse-nope.  he made his bed.  have to have some pity for the guy as a human being.  without drugs, he was one hurtin cowboy.  so now he is at peace

i have a neighbor who played rugby with him-he was all that-RIP chris!
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2017, 07:04:45 AM »
No Mas. Semantic arguments can go on forever.

#facepalm

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2017, 08:35:00 AM »
I met him, I wasn't friends with him.    I frequently tell people that I was two years behind Chris Farley and two years in front of Scott Walker and that I had met them both.    Everyone dies.   How did they live?   In Chris's case, he lived large.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback