[May 10, 2024, 10:24:14 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Vander Blue Man Group
[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 49 free throw attempts  (Read 15352 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 49 free throw attempts
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2022, 09:35:51 AM »
Ah yes! Now you’ve enlightened me!

Cooley, the 10,000 IQ coach, made the adjustment no one saw coming. He told his players to stop not playing defense and get between their man and the basket! So genius of Cooley to pull out the concept of defense in just the last 5 minutes of regulation. Wow.

Your posts remind of the Skip Bayless clip where he keeps saying the Mavs just “wanted it more” in 2011. You have extremely low technical basketball knowledge, sadly.

I mean, you have come up with nothing concrete that somehow shows you have some sort of superior basketball knowledge. 

I just have a feeling you THINK you understand basketball...but you really don't.  My suggestion is you learn more and report back to me.  Or continue to be wrong. Either way, I'm good.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2022, 09:37:27 AM »
What numbers are you referring to?

The PT thread touches on it. We had a historically bad whistle last night. An unprecedented whistle for a team that lived in the paint the entire game. Hopkins had the first 20/20 game in history without being called for a foul.

It isn't opinion that last night was a historical outlier in terms of the whistle. It's a statistical fact. Though my opinion would be that had the refs treated Kam Jones the same way they treated Devin Carter, the game never would've got to overtime.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2022, 09:43:16 AM »
I mean, you have come up with nothing concrete that somehow shows you have some sort of superior basketball knowledge. 
Factually the free throw disparity in this game was 49-19. That is beyond the realm of normalcy.

If you watched the game (I can’t help you watch the game) it was clear and obvious that the refs fell for the home court trap and Providence was rewarded accordingly.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2022, 09:44:35 AM »
The PT thread touches on it. We had a historically bad whistle last night. An unprecedented whistle for a team that lived in the paint the entire game. Hopkins had the first 20/20 game in history without being called for a foul.

It isn't opinion that last night was a historical outlier in terms of the whistle. It's a statistical fact. Though my opinion would be that had the refs treated Kam Jones the same way they treated Devin Carter, the game never would've got to overtime.

Last year, I could buy the idea that Marquette was on the short end of the free throw disparity given their reliance on shooting threes.  However, that was not the case last nite.  Marquette was getting to the paint just as much as Providence; however, only one team was rewarded for it by the officials.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2022, 09:44:39 AM »
Factually the free throw disparity in this game was 49-19. That is beyond the realm of normalcy.

If you watched the game (I can’t help you watch the game) it was clear and obvious that the refs fell for the home court trap and Providence was rewarded accordingly.

The refs are professionals
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2022, 09:48:47 AM »
The refs are professionals
And professionals can be bad at their job sometimes?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2022, 09:48:49 AM »
If this was 2018 and we had Markus, Rowsey, and Hauser taking 50/75 shots at the arc, I still wouldn't expect that disparity (because Rowsey would've done The Thing twice) but it would be explicable. Last night, with how this team actually played, where shots were taken, the physicality Providence played with, and where our scoring came from, there's no real way to rationalize this as anything other than the massive statistical outlier it was.

The game was not officiated the same on both ends. That's not really a disputable point.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2022, 09:49:11 AM »

You're right on target and the PT analysis was quite illuminating.  I laughed at the possession where Kam got into the lane and was bodied and basically pushed to the ground and had to do his best Curly Neal dribble from his knees move to retain possession.  Meanwhile, Devin Carter got to the line on phantom contact multiple times.  It was an absolute joke.  Broker should be sending the PT stats to the Big East office and demanding some accountability.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2022, 09:49:13 AM »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2022, 09:49:21 AM »
When you get 62 points in the paint, you shouldn't be out shot 49-19 at the line. That was a joke. We lived inside and didn't get rewarded for that. Biggest FT disparity in more than 12 years. Biggest foul disparity as well. Top-10 FTR for Providence under Cooley. That game was a massive statistical outlier because there was a disparity in how PC was handled and how we were handled. The numbers back that up.

I didn't catch the game live last night, so watched it after reading all the kvetching about fouls.  Almost universally fouls were called when someone with the ball was driving.  Body fouls were not typically called, but if you reached in, lowered you hands, or didn't stay vertical, the foul was called.  Marquette lowered their hands, reached in, and didn't stay vertical while defending much more than Providence did.  Hence the disparity.  They should have adjusted and got their body in the way more.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2022, 09:55:19 AM »
I didn't catch the game live last night, so watched it after reading all the kvetching about fouls.  Almost universally fouls were called when someone with the ball was driving.  Body fouls were not typically called, but if you reached in, lowered you hands, or didn't stay vertical, the foul was called.  Marquette lowered their hands, reached in, and didn't stay vertical while defending much more than Providence did.  Hence the disparity.  They should have adjusted and got their body in the way more.
Remember this was a double overtime game. The question is not did Marquette foul more than Providence. We all agree on that.

The question is was the fouls disparity as wide as it was called?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2022, 09:57:49 AM »
The question is was the fouls disparity as wide as it was called?

"Actual" fouls?  Not likely.  Fouls from reaching in, lowering their arms, or not staying vertical?  Yes.  It was simple to see what they were calling, and Marquette kept doing it.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2022, 09:59:49 AM »
"Actual" fouls?  Not likely.  Fouls from reaching in, lowering their arms, or not staying vertical?  Yes.  It was simple to see what they were calling, and Marquette kept doing it.
So you agree the refs called a poor game that inherently disadvantaged Marquette.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #138 on: December 21, 2022, 10:01:27 AM »
So you agree the refs called a poor game that inherently disadvantaged Marquette.

The refs weren't great, but Marquette took themselves out of the game by continuing to foul the same way all game, when Providence did not foul that way as often.

I'm just saying, objectively, Marquette didn't adjust to the refs - which is something that should happen in every game.  See what refs are and aren't calling - and do those things or don't. 

Refs never call / catch all the fouls, but *usually* a crew is  consistent in how a particular game is called.  Cooley recognized this, and informed them when they "missed' calls they had been making.  Smart guy.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 10:04:42 AM by rocky_warrior »

• All American
« Reply #139 on: December 21, 2022, 10:01:48 AM »

You gotta do better than this. Just stating stats does not indicate anything.

Yep.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2022, 10:04:26 AM »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2022, 10:04:26 AM »

As I posted earlier.  Just saying its an outlier, without any indication of causation, doesn't mean much.

This is the NBA but...

https://www.reddit.com/r/nbadiscussion/comments/ubk9t0/free_throw_myths_points_in_the_paint_and_drives/

"Most notable is that points in the paint is a weak indicator of free throw attempts. Just looking at a box score and seeing who scores more in the paint doesn't really tell you which side should have more free throws. Also, driving has essentially no correlation with free throw attempts. Noting which team was driving more doesn't tell you much."

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2022, 10:05:23 AM »
The refs weren't great, but Marquette took themselves out of the game by continuing to foul the same way all game, when Providence did not foul that way as often.

I'm just saying, objectively, Marquette didn't adjust to the refs - which is something that should happen in every game.  Se what refs are and aren't calling - and do those things or don't. 

Refs never call / catch all the fouls, but *usually* a crew is  consistent in how a particular game is called.  Cooley recognized this, and informed them when they "missed' calls they had been making.  Smart guy.
Sounds like “refs were trash but we should’ve won anyway”.

Fair enough argument but doesn’t discount the fact that the refs were trash. Statistically they were bad. It’s hard enough to win on the road in this conference.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2022, 10:06:59 AM »
Sounds like “refs were trash but we should’ve won anyway”.

Fair enough argument but doesn’t discount the fact that the refs were trash. Statistically they were bad. It’s hard enough to win on the road in this conference.

That's not what I'm saying.  That's what you think - and that's ok (and a little misguided). 

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2022, 10:07:50 AM »
You gotta do better than this. Just stating stats does not indicate anything.
Fouls in basketball are, on their face, subjective.

There is nothing “concrete” I can show you that will get you to understand that the game was called inconsistently in favor of Providence other than the game film.

Do you understand this?

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #145 on: December 21, 2022, 10:08:27 AM »
That's not what I'm saying.  That's what you think - and that's ok (and a little misguided).
Ok how about this “refs were trash and Marquette didn’t properly adjust to their trash”

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2022, 10:12:39 AM »

When you're allowed to continually bury a shoulder into the defenders chest their arms are not going to stay vertical.

Regardless, I can't wait for the rematch. A repeat of last season wouldn't surprise me.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2022, 10:30:04 AM »
If we were looking at a 40-30 FT disparity, I might agree. But unprecedentedly historic disparities considering the way the game was played stand out.

I'm not going Lisa Joplin, but the game was not called the same way on both ends. Attack Kam was in effect and wasn't rewarded while wild Devin Carter was rewarded. And zero fouls on Hopkins was ridiculous.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2022, 10:38:40 AM »
If we were looking at a 40-30 FT disparity, I might agree. But unprecedentedly historic disparities considering the way the game was played stand out.

I'm not going Lisa Joplin, but the game was not called the same way on both ends. Attack Kam was in effect and wasn't rewarded while wild Devin Carter was rewarded. And zero fouls on Hopkins was ridiculous.

For sure. Unfortunately, the team had their opportunities in spite of the foul situation. Just did not get it done. Shaka needs to school the guys on blocking out.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2022, 10:41:06 AM »

Completely agree on the Devin Carter fouls. Not sure why the refs were rewarding those completely out of control drives. Both fouls to start OT were maddening.

I thought Hopkins earned a lot of his free throws and our guys got frustrated with his physicality and aggressiveness.

Weird game though. It’s not like these are refs from a different conference or something. Those guys have been doing our games for years so not sure what the deal was last night.