collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Anyone updated Windows 7 to Windows 10?  (Read 5774 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Anyone updated Windows 7 to Windows 10?
« on: August 15, 2015, 02:05:08 PM »
Tempted to do the laptop my kids use, but not sure if the hardware they have will get bogged down.

Anyone done it yet?  Worth it?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Anyone updated Windows 7 to Windows 10?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 02:50:26 PM »
Tempted to do the laptop my kids use, but not sure if the hardware they have will get bogged down.

Go to 10. Fabulous

Death on call

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 02:52:36 PM »

I did it and not only was the conversion easy,  and surprisingly it has worked very well. Back everything up first though as a precaution. 

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 02:57:29 PM »
It's an older laptop, 3 years old.  Is Windows 10 going to be a memory slog and basically brick the thing?

That's one of the things I hate about Apple.  They come out with a new OS for some of their phones and iPads and it has made the older models so painfully slow that I wish I hadn't done it.

That's my biggest concern.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 06:36:58 PM »
you'll be fine

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 09:50:55 PM »
How long is the queue?  Says it could be days or weeks before notification to proceed after reserving the spot. 

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 11:26:10 PM »
Within a few days of your acceptance it will be ready for you to load up. Loading takes only 30 minutes...very easy. There is a 30 day window to revert back to Windows 7 if you don't like it.
I have a 4 yr old laptop, that did not seem to slow at all. I am only upgrading 2 of my 3 computers, for now, until I am sure of the new W10s, my W7 remains my old reliable.

Overall:
For W7 PC users it "feels" to work the same, with some traditional functions and tweaks (control panel, games, etc.) now a little harder to find. The biggest change is that  this is clearly upgraded to allow syncing of all your programs, and all devices, including tablets and phones, making your W10 feel like your accessing anything, wherever ...cloud, photos, media libraries,xbox, phone apps and info, with just a click or two.
Set the default programs right away to those you like because, otherwise, every web, search, media play, email, etc will steer you strongly only to the MS product, and it will fight you to use your own( ie popup battles).
Compared to past Windows upgrade craziness, this one was quick, easy, highly functional, and seems to be working great.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 11:29:22 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 11:43:06 PM »
Thank you

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 12:08:19 AM »
I did 8 to 10 on a very limited laptop and it works great.  1000x better than 8, and faster.  There was no queue... for me it downloaded immediately upon application.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 06:51:58 AM »
How long is the queue?  Says it could be days or weeks before notification to proceed after reserving the spot.

Here's how to get Windows 10 immediately: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/jump-the-line-and-get-windows-10-right-now/

Here's a comprehensive guide to Windows 10 from CNET:
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-10-guide/
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 08:00:00 AM »
I've updated two machines from 7 to 10.  Both are fine.

It's interesting to hear someone say W10 is 1000x better than 8.   Beyond the new start menu (which I already had with Classic Shell's start menu) .. and some categorizations here and there .. the difference is minimal from 8 to 10.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »
I've updated two machines from 7 to 10.  Both are fine.

It's interesting to hear someone say W10 is 1000x better than 8.   Beyond the new start menu (which I already had with Classic Shell's start menu) .. and some categorizations here and there .. the difference is minimal from 8 to 10.

I have to disagree that the differences are minimal. 10 represents a major step change in functionality, design and intuitive interface. The fundamental differences between 8 and 10 are in UI/UX, multi-platform interface, and that 10 is Azure-based which gives MS an umbilical cord into the end user ecosystem.

Personally, we use Surface Pro 3s and Winphones (given to us by MS) so the Metro tableau is very comfortable for us. Since we are on the MS campus we were part of the guinea pig pool and have been playing with 10 on our devices since Jan-Feb. 

I think that Satya has radically transformed the MS culture from the secretive mistrustful bullying Billy Land into one that embraces fully the open-sourcing open-web environment that devs have now come to expect as the norm. 10 is the first proof point of MS's commitment to Windows as a Service vs Windows as Cash Cow - the difference is subtle yet profound in terms of the how MS views the customer and how crucial is UI/UX.

10 is the future. MS has been everyone's favorite Gripe Target but Redmond has replaced Cupertino as the nexus of innovation and intuitive interface. And in the dev world the "A" word has become a curse.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 05:04:55 PM »
Unpleasant thus far.  Got the download, the first few sections went by quickly with no issues, then it warned the computer will be restarting several times to complete the installation.  No problem...except it's now been 4 hours and caught in a loop where it doesn't restart, screen is black but the computer is humming loudly wih the fan really cranked up.  Sigh. 

Obviously something is wrong. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 05:05:34 PM »

10 is the future. MS has been everyone's favorite Gripe Target but Redmond has replaced Cupertino as the nexus of innovation and intuitive interface. And in the dev world the "A" word has become a curse.

This afternoon, they are still my favorite target....not a happy camper right now.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 05:22:52 PM »
Unpleasant thus far.  Got the download, the first few sections went by quickly with no issues, then it warned the computer will be restarting several times to complete the installation.  No problem...except it's now been 4 hours and caught in a loop where it doesn't restart, screen is black but the computer is humming loudly wih the fan really cranked up.  Sigh. 

Almost sounds like the "automatic repair loop" I had with Windows 8, amidst the three times it crashed on me in less than a year.  Downgraded to 7 after that.

I keep getting the reminders that 10 is ready to install.  Going to wait a couple months or so.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »
Went from 8 to 10 on my personal laptop (2 in 1 convertible) and I love it.  I think it is a fairly extensive upgrade.  Upgrade was very easy.

Looking forward to 3 years from now when my work IP upgrades us from 7 to 10
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 08:53:34 PM »
So I simply unplugged it.  Turned it back on same deal.  Unplugged it again when it got hung up again.  Next time it got to Windows 10...yay.

Whenever I go into Outlook 2010, a pop up comes up trying to load Outlook 2003...sigh. 

I'll give it a try for a few days.  This is an older laptop, feels like performance is slower so I may be reverting back to Windows 7 for that machine.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 03:17:35 AM »

Q: Do you have huge data stores on that box (I am talking terabytes?) If you do, swap out your hard drive then down load 10.

PM me and I can put you in touch with someone on campus who actually knows what they are doing.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 09:59:21 AM »
Q: Do you have huge data stores on that box (I am talking terabytes?) If you do, swap out your hard drive then down load 10.

PM me and I can put you in touch with someone on campus who actually knows what they are doing.

Yes, 3TB drive hooked up to it as a backup.  I got it to install, but some quirky things going on.  I'll PM you tonight with what I'm seeing.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 02:41:54 PM »
Yes, 3TB drive hooked up to it as a backup.  I got it to install, but some quirky things going on.  I'll PM you tonight with what I'm seeing.

Ok, but try swapping out your current hd with a clean one. I guarantee the problem is because of the amount of data you have on your hd.

Death on call

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 03:09:50 PM »
Upgraded a week ago, went without a hitch.  Was running windows 7 before.  Old dog of a machine, and windows immediately transformed it into a dog of a machine running windows 10.  Jokes aside, no gripes.

I concur.  I run 8.1 on a tablet of mine.  10 has a couple nice additions in that it works better in desktop mode, but basically the same OS (from my point of view).  That said, I'll upgrade because ... why not, it's free ... and support will last longer.  But if I wasn't able to get a free upgrade, I wouldn't bother.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 03:24:21 PM »
I think everyone convinced me to upgrade.

Does it work for Vista to Windows 10?  I have an older dog of a laptop......

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 03:52:35 PM »
Jams

I just spoke with one of the 10 team and they said it is probably your network. Try downloading at a different time of day or on your work network. 

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 09:54:39 PM »
Jams

I just spoke with one of the 10 team and they said it is probably your network. Try downloading at a different time of day or on your work network.

Getting the software wasn't the issue.  I have the software...network is great, easily supports that stuff.

The problem was once it put the software on the machine during the install process it was never recovering from the restarts.  Very strange.

Here's another strange one.  The windows start in the lower left, sometimes I can click it and it opens up the tiles and other stuff, but about half the time a click does nothing.  Literally will not open up any window of any kind.  I'm probably going to revert back to Windows 7 for that machine.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 01:04:50 AM »
Getting the software wasn't the issue.  I have the software...network is great, easily supports that stuff.

The problem was once it put the software on the machine during the install process it was never recovering from the restarts.  Very strange.

Here's another strange one.  The windows start in the lower left, sometimes I can click it and it opens up the tiles and other stuff, but about half the time a click does nothing.  Literally will not open up any window of any kind.  I'm probably going to revert back to Windows 7 for that machine.

Ok. I'll cut and paste this into an email to the guy I talked to. More to follow.

Death on call

feedback