[June 06, 2024, 09:01:17 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by Its DJOver
[June 06, 2024, 08:28:03 PM]

Incoming freshmen by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 06, 2024, 07:38:04 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by willie warrior
[June 06, 2024, 04:19:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Anyone updated Windows 7 to Windows 10?  (Read 5816 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Anyone updated Windows 7 to Windows 10?
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 10:34:07 AM »
CBB .. if you want to fix all problems .. just do a fresh install / reset. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Yeah, you'll lose your apps and any programs you had installed and need to reinstall .. but the machine will work as if you'd just taken it out of the box.

If you've logged in with a Live account, your Win10 product key is saved in the cloud, so when you do a fresh install, it knows your box is legal.  I did this last week.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 12:12:10 PM »
CBB .. if you want to fix all problems .. just do a fresh install / reset. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Yeah, you'll lose your apps and any programs you had installed and need to reinstall .. but the machine will work as if you'd just taken it out of the box.

If you've logged in with a Live account, your Win10 product key is saved in the cloud, so when you do a fresh install, it knows your box is legal.  I did this last week.

Funny you mention that.  I tried a refresh/reset last night on my old dog of a laptop, hoping it would snap  up a bit.  But it took a LONG time so I went to bed, and this morning it was stuck in a reset loop saying something went wrong (couldn't mount drive).  Fortunately I created a USB stick install, so I guess I'll be doing that tonight.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 01:30:46 PM »
Ha .. same thing happened to me!  I did a reset, and it got in that loop, couldn't mount the drive.

So I installed from USB and it worked fine.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2015, 09:41:34 PM »
Funny you mention that.  I tried a refresh/reset last night on my old dog of a laptop, hoping it would snap  up a bit.  But it took a LONG time so I went to bed, and this morning it was stuck in a reset loop saying something went wrong (couldn't mount drive).  Fortunately I created a USB stick install, so I guess I'll be doing that tonight.

Hmmm, that sounds like fun...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2015, 12:55:39 PM »
So, not sure if anyone else has a similar problem, but thought I'd check. I installed Windows 10 flawlessly on one machine. On my second, I'm stuck. WHen I pull up the Windows 10 notification, and it lists the steps, my reservation is "confirmed, my download is "complete" and i'm on the upgrade step. It says it's "available" and then all the "here's what happen's next:..." stuff. There's a button that states "Ok, let's continue", but when I click on that it goes to a screen that says "Working on it" with a system is busy indicator, but it'll sit there for hours.

Any thoughts?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2015, 03:17:50 PM »
I have to disagree that the differences are minimal. 10 represents a major step change in functionality, design and intuitive interface. The fundamental differences between 8 and 10 are in UI/UX, multi-platform interface, and that 10 is Azure-based which gives MS an umbilical cord into the end user ecosystem.

Personally, we use Surface Pro 3s and Winphones (given to us by MS) so the Metro tableau is very comfortable for us. Since we are on the MS campus we were part of the guinea pig pool and have been playing with 10 on our devices since Jan-Feb. 

I think that Satya has radically transformed the MS culture from the secretive mistrustful bullying Billy Land into one that embraces fully the open-sourcing open-web environment that devs have now come to expect as the norm. 10 is the first proof point of MS's commitment to Windows as a Service vs Windows as Cash Cow - the difference is subtle yet profound in terms of the how MS views the customer and how crucial is UI/UX.

10 is the future. MS has been everyone's favorite Gripe Target but Redmond has replaced Cupertino as the nexus of innovation and intuitive interface. And in the dev world the "A" word has become a curse.

I would have never expected this level of commitment to a bit from a flyboy, but I suppose marriage is the great equalizer when it comes to the challenge of getting laid.

Personally, I've had moderate success with simply asking my wife how her day went.  But to each their own.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2015, 05:59:28 PM »
Hmmm, that sounds like fun...

Jams

Did you get this sorted or are you riding it out until 10 matures? Let me know as I have bandwidth tomorrow and a guy from 10 who can help

Death on call

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2015, 08:01:39 PM »
So, not sure if anyone else has a similar problem, but thought I'd check. I installed Windows 10 flawlessly on one machine. On my second, I'm stuck. WHen I pull up the Windows 10 notification, and it lists the steps, my reservation is "confirmed, my download is "complete" and i'm on the upgrade step. It says it's "available" and then all the "here's what happen's next:..." stuff. There's a button that states "Ok, let's continue", but when I click on that it goes to a screen that says "Working on it" with a system is busy indicator, but it'll sit there for hours.

Any thoughts?

My initial thought is to bypass the invitation and go directly to the download page.  I would suggest getting the download directly (first link) and then trying to upgrade.  Here's links I posted earlier:

Here's how to get Windows 10 immediately: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/jump-the-line-and-get-windows-10-right-now/

Here's a comprehensive guide to Windows 10 from CNET:
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-10-guide/
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2015, 10:11:47 PM »
Jams

Did you get this sorted or are you riding it out until 10 matures? Let me know as I have bandwidth tomorrow and a guy from 10 who can help

I ended up uninstalling it.  Just not a good fit for that computer.  I'll try it on a more up to date machine, but too many issues with that one.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2015, 12:40:06 PM »
Roger that

Death on call