collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Who is going to win the WC?

Netherlands
Spain

Author Topic: Official 2010 World Cup Thread  (Read 46997 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Official 2010 World Cup Thread
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2010, 10:58:46 AM »
The US got robbed! That was a goal!

Off all the infractions on that setpiece, they call the one that didn't actually occur.  Great.  Thanks Leon from Curb Your Enthusiasm, swallow your whistle next time.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2010, 11:07:13 AM »
Off all the infractions on that setpiece, they call the one that didn't actually occur.  Great.  Thanks Leon from Curb Your Enthusiasm, swallow your whistle next time.

What infractions?  You mean the bear hug to Bradley?  He was just showing his affection.  What a crock.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2010, 11:11:20 AM »
Why does the interviewer from ESPN keep asking about the officiating?  The coach and players risk punishment if they disparage the refs.  I understand it is a natural question, but think of the potential damage.  Remember Jackie Charlton in USA 94?  Banned from the sidelines.

I'm appalled at the lack of possession and poor passing by the US.  Half the team wants to run and gun, while the other half wonder what the strategy is.  Way to dig deep though.  C'mon Algeria - tie England!

Does anyone else notice the parallels to watching MU hoops while watching the US?  Same feelings! 

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2010, 11:17:29 AM »
We just got hosed...What a terrible call.  What a great comeback thought.  Hopefully this call will give the US reason to come out firing against Algeria although being a must win game should be motivation enough.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2010, 11:29:30 AM »
Although we didn't play well enough in the first half to warrant winning, we did get screwed onn Edu's goal and should have won.  This ref was just as bad as the Spanish card throwing ref in the Germany/Serbia game today.  I'll be curious to hear his explanation if there is one.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2010, 11:48:27 AM »
Although we didn't play well enough in the first half to warrant winning, we did get screwed onn Edu's goal and should have won.  This ref was just as bad as the Spanish card throwing ref in the Germany/Serbia game today.  I'll be curious to hear his explanation if there is one.

Explanation from FIFA: Foul on Edu during the free kick, not an offside call.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2010, 11:50:27 AM »

Explanation from FIFA: Foul on Edu during the free kick, not an offside call.
TERRIBLE CALL!!!!  There was no damn foul, he won position that's it!!!!!  Cost us the game...

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2010, 12:00:06 PM »
Why do I feel like the US always gets jobbed in international soccer, especially in games not played in the US.  Last world cup it was the Italy game...this year the Slovenia game.  So bogus.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2010, 12:01:08 PM »
 Well it seems as if the referees are becoming noticed in these games and that is not good regardless of what sport you are watching. Call the game the same for the entirety of the game, don't pick your spots.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2010, 12:03:23 PM »
Announcer called the referee many disparaging words. The guy was over his head but he didn't cost us a win .
Poor play in the first half was on us.

caltruda

« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2010, 12:45:30 PM »
What makes that "call" all the more galling is this was the ref who worked the African Cup of Nations final. He's done big games before. Sad, but the US never should have put itself in an 0-2 hole like that. Oh well, root for the Desert Foxes to stun the world and pick up a point this afternoon and then go balls-out for a two-goal victory for the US in the group finale to get through.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2010, 12:49:52 PM »
Why do I feel like the US always gets jobbed in international soccer, especially in games not played in the US.  Last world cup it was the Italy game...this year the Slovenia game.  So bogus.

Because a lot of other countries hate the US and international sports are more crooked than the NBA Playoffs.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2010, 01:18:43 PM »
Posnanski is the best.  I'm not sure I agree that this was that historic, but still, I like his stuff

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2010/06/18/the-goal-that-wasnt/
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2010, 01:27:45 PM »
What makes that "call" all the more galling is this was the ref who worked the African Cup of Nations final. He's done big games before. Sad, but the US never should have put itself in an 0-2 hole like that. Oh well, root for the Desert Foxes to stun the world and pick up a point this afternoon and then go balls-out for a two-goal victory for the US in the group finale to get through.

Regardless of today's outcome, a two goal win v. Algeria clinches it for us.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2010, 01:39:11 PM »

Regardless of today's outcome, a two goal win v. Algeria clinches it for us.

I've been trying to work that out in my head, but that's a succinct and correct statement.  Thanks.  In the case of a three-way tie at the top, goal differential will be the key and Slovenia's goal differential will be +1.  Therefore, a +2 differential for USA will do it.

After watching the replay of the goal, I'm still shocked by the call.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2010, 01:52:20 PM »
I've been trying to work that out in my head, but that's a succinct and correct statement.  Thanks.  In the case of a three-way tie at the top, goal differential will be the key and Slovenia's goal differential will be +1.  Therefore, a +2 differential for USA will do it.

After watching the replay of the goal, I'm still shocked by the call.

What if there is a 3 way tie and goal differential tie?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2010, 01:58:10 PM »

I believe total goals scored, then perhaps FIFA ranking?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2010, 02:05:33 PM »

Reinko is correct -- total goals.  Fortunately, Slovenia win against Algeria was 1-0.  Right now, we're tied with Slovenia in total goals.  So, if USA wins 1-0 and England and Slovenia tie 1-1 (assuming an England win today), we will have a three way tie where USA and Slovenia also would be tied on points; differential and total goals.  If England's win over Algeria happened to be 1-0, we'd have  with all three teams tied in points, differential and total goals.

Here's a link to the tie breaking rules.  It gets confusing after the first three.  If I'm reading it correctly, it might result in a tie and FIFA would draw straws?!!  We're screwed if it gets to that point.

USA just needs to win 2-0 against Algeria to make everything very simple.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #118 on: June 18, 2010, 02:47:28 PM »
England is still struggling with Algeria...a tie (or worse) there would help USA's cause.

Also, one of England's defenders (Carragher) just got his second yellow card and will sit for the game against Slovenia.  Not sure how important he is to their team.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #119 on: June 18, 2010, 02:48:33 PM »
Posnanski is the best.  I'm not sure I agree that this was that historic, but still, I like his stuff

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2010/06/18/the-goal-that-wasnt/

Fantastic article. And yes, this would have been historic. No team in 80 years has come back from 2-0 down to win at the World Cup.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2010, 02:56:24 PM »
Sorry, I'm mobile right now, best for USA is that Algeria/UK tie, or an Algeria win?

Thanks!

USA! USA! USA!

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2010, 02:59:39 PM »
Carragher is useless, there better off without him. England's defense is not very strong as I believe they asked Carragher to come back to international play as he sat out last world cup. He lacks speed to cover pretty much anyone one on one.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2010, 03:02:12 PM »
Sorry, I'm mobile right now, best for USA is that Algeria/UK tie, or an Algeria win?

Tie.  Then the US only has to win to advance and can still advance on a draw.  If Algeria wins, a draw does nothing for us in the final game.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2010, 03:22:43 PM »
0-0 tie.  Great result for USA.  Win, and we're through.  Tie, and we're through if England loses.  We'd even advance on a tie if England/Slovenia tie as long as England doesn't score too many since we're ahead of them 3-1 for goals in the tournament.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2010, 11:32:41 AM »

Don't forget the missed handball against Germany in 2002. German midfielder Torsten Frings literally slapped a clear goal off the line to prevent us from reaching the semifinal. This was an awful call, but I'm over it. We still have our destiny in our hands thanks to Algeria and this call has provided more domestic interest in the World Cup than any time since 1994. If we can't beat Algeria, we don't deserve to advance (though depending on other results, we still could).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback