[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Who is going to win the WC?

Netherlands
Spain

Author Topic: Official 2010 World Cup Thread  (Read 46710 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Official 2010 World Cup Thread
« on: May 26, 2010, 02:57:51 PM »
Since Tim and I keep passing World Cup links back and forth, I thought it would be fun to open up an official World Cup thread. 

USA 23 Man Roster is set

ESPN Soccernet has their top 50 players of the world cup

GQ has a bevy of small features.  Their Top 11 players doesn't have Rooney, but the list of possible breakout players was interesting

The Big Lead has the best previews I've seen
USA!  USA!  USA!

English people drink too much and have bad teeth.  Okay, that's just my title

According to FIFA, only fifteen days remaining.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
Re: Official 2010 World Cup Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 03:03:41 PM »
http://www.nyasatimes.com/national/malawi-prostitutes-flock-to-south-africa-ahead-of-world-cup.html

Bring Condems.

Title:
Malawi prostitutes flock to South Africa ahead of World Cup

Quotes:
The global football showpiece has generally become a common ground for prostitutes to rake in millions from thousands of tourists.

19-year-old Chrisy said: “If I fail to go to South Africa during the World Cup I hope our business will still improve here at home because some of the fans will be coming to Africa for the first time and they will be interested to visit countries like Malawi. I hope this World Cup is going to work to our advantage because I have been interested to have more clients like whites so I believe during this period I may get some.”
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 03:10:51 PM »
Seriously, is the entire Spanish team in the Espn Top 50?!

(Note, not saying it isn't accurrate.  Just amazing to see the all around talent.)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 03:31:34 PM »
Seriously, is the entire Spanish team in the Espn Top 50?!

(Note, not saying it isn't accurrate.  Just amazing to see the all around talent.)

According to this article, Spain enters the tourney as the #2 ranked team in the world -- Brazil is tops

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5iawA-T_IeqIdBvBu_Hy6sWu2ls9A

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 05:47:08 PM »
I am baffled as to how Robbie Findlay made the squad and Brian Ching didn't. I wonder if Holden playing a full 90 has convinced Bob to play Dempsey up front with Altidore and use Stewie on the right wing.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 05:55:11 PM »
I am baffled as to how Robbie Findlay made the squad and Brian Ching didn't. I wonder if Holden playing a full 90 has convinced Bob to play Dempsey up front with Altidore and use Stewie on the right wing.

If I had to guess, it was because of Findlay's speed and questions about Ching's hammy.  Also, I think Findlay's spot was pretty secure, Ching was competing with Gomez and Buddle.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 06:45:22 PM »
Since Tim and I keep passing World Cup links back and forth, I thought it would be fun to open up an official World Cup thread. 

USA 23 Man Roster is set

ESPN Soccernet has their top 50 players of the world cup

GQ has a bevy of small features.  Their Top 11 players doesn't have Rooney, but the list of possible breakout players was interesting

The Big Lead has the best previews I've seen
USA!  USA!  USA!

English people drink too much and have bad teeth.  Okay, that's just my title

According to FIFA, only fifteen days remaining.

There is no way John Terry and Kaka should be in the top 11 after the seasons they had.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 10:28:16 PM »
There is no way John Terry and Kaka should be in the top 11 after the seasons they had.

There is no way Michael Ballack should be in the top 50 as he won't be playing and Ashley Cole on ESPN's list is a bit laughable as well.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 07:56:16 AM »
I thought this was interesting from the WSJ

Vendors Leave No Shirt Unturned Seeking North Korean Soccer Duds
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 11:54:43 AM »
There is no way Michael Ballack should be in the top 50 as he won't be playing and Ashley Cole on ESPN's list is a bit laughable as well.

Well, the article was written before Ballack's injury. Can't see why Cole shouldn't be in, though. I'd take him in a heartbeat. If he's fit, he's one of the best left backs in the world.

Of course, I'd also take England U-21 left back Ryan Bertrand over anyone the US has back there, too.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 12:01:27 PM »
On the field the quality of play will be high.  Off the field I think this will be a financial disaster of epic proportions...and I just hope that every gets home safe.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 01:54:51 PM »
If I had to guess, it was because of Findlay's speed and questions about Ching's hammy.  Also, I think Findlay's spot was pretty secure, Ching was competing with Gomez and Buddle.

I think you are right there, Ching's breakaway midway through the 2nd half against the Czech's where he could outpace the defenders and nothing came of the attack probably stood out in Bradley's mind like it did mine.

Call me off my rocker, but I would have rather had Robbie Rogers than Beasley.  I know the team is somewhat short on Cup caps, but Beasley is way too soft any more and Rogers has really mixed it up of late.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 09:56:12 PM »
Well, the article was written before Ballack's injury. Can't see why Cole shouldn't be in, though. I'd take him in a heartbeat. If he's fit, he's one of the best left backs in the world.

Of course, I'd also take England U-21 left back Ryan Bertrand over anyone the US has back there, too.

Touche on Ballack. As for Cole, I personally think France alone, which is saying something coming from me who hates that team with a passion, has two left backs better in Evra and Abidal. I also rate Lahm, who while is naturally a right back has played for Germany on the left much higher than Cole.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 01:32:53 AM »
Call me off my rocker, but I would have rather had Robbie Rogers than Beasley.  I know the team is somewhat short on Cup caps, but Beasley is way too soft any more and Rogers has really mixed it up of late.

For me, this is just classic Beasley. I remember when he played that one game at left back in qualifying...he came in and suddenly we thought we had someone who could play back there every month. But the next time he was back there, he was awful and suddenly couldn't get a look. I'm a Fire fan, and have liked DaMarcus from way back, but he's the sort who can put together a great performance, then seems to go in the tank for the next 5-6 games. After getting past injury, he did that at Man City and then also at Rangers. That history definitely doesn't bode well going into the World Cup.

My hope is that Beasley never gets on the pitch. If so, I want it to be at most for the final minutes against Slovenia and/or Algeria to spell Donovan after we have built a 2+ goal lead. I would have much rather had Rogers in, as I feel he may not have the history, but he's certainly more exciting. And at least Rogers plays for his club team. Beasley didn't play much for Rangers, and isn't there anymore.

Still, I can't fault the selections much. Considering that Bob called in Gomez and Buddle, two guys that never got a sniff in qualifying, and then put them on the roster? It's clear to me that Bradley will pick guys based on form and how they impress him at the time, rather than just sticking with the same guys (something Arena was guilty of for too long). I thought Ching made sense in as the hold-up guy, but Holden played 90, maybe he can take over at right mid with Dempsey moving up front, and Buddle adds skill and form while Gomez is the pure super-sub type. I look forward to seeing this team on Saturday against Turkey.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 08:50:30 AM »
Buddle has been on fire this MLS season . Beasley has been a enigma on the pitch most times i have watched him. he seems to be completley  lost and a non-factor. He possesses a lot of speed and talent but disappears and I second the hope that he not enter the pitch.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 08:55:38 AM »
I love the fact he put Gomez in the 23. The U.S. has very few finishers up front. They need a guy who finds space and takes his chances. Gomez can do that. I thought Buddle looked very active against Czech and can be the guy that can hold the ball like Ching, except he has more pace.

Still very concerned about the depth at the back, and the left back position in general. Hope Spector can get on a good run of form, they were exposed badly on Tuesday.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 09:07:40 AM »
Left back is a horrible problem. It seems like everyone can play one good game at the position then gets exposed. Bocanegra doesn't have the pace. Bornstein and Pearce lack quality. Beasley isn't physical enough and simply not defensively aware. Edgar Castillo didn't do much to earn time at the position.

My thought is that Bradley should have brought Spector, Boca, Bornstein, Pearce, Besley, and Castillo, and rotated his starter at left back. If everyone has one good game in them, that's enough guys to get you to the final :D then just start whichever one played best in the final.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 02:53:11 PM »
A friend from Argentina is going to be in town during the world cup.  Are there any good world cup bars in Milwaukee to take him to catch Argentina in action on tv?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 03:12:32 PM »
Tell him to join us at the Highbury! I'll be there for all the USA matches, and they will be open early enough every day during the Cup for him to take in all the action. It's located just south of Lincoln on KK in Bay View, and will be the best for atmosphere, bar none.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 03:46:56 PM »
A friend from Argentina is going to be in town during the world cup.  Are there any good world cup bars in Milwaukee to take him to catch Argentina in action on tv?

I will be at the Nomad on Brady.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 05:35:03 PM »
Thanks guys, we'll probably try Highbury.

And onward Slovenija Nogometna!!!!  (1/2 slovenian guy here)   pretty impressive Slovenia made the World Cup for being such a small nation.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 01:54:17 PM »
1 word:  DROGBA!!!!

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 01:58:11 PM »

I hope they bring a couple cases of magic spray for that guy.  He is always "hurt"
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 02:30:15 PM »

Divers are off until 2012. Luckily for him, the Olympics are in London.

feedback