Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU @ Xavier game thread  (Read 12241 times)

Zog from Margo

• Starter
Re: MU @ Xavier game thread
« Reply #375 on: March 09, 2024, 07:06:43 PM »
Some players play better coming off bench.  Ross has been starting last three games and I still don’t think he has a made field goal.

He made one tonight. He hasn’t shot the 3 well since having flu. He plays D though. Ideally, Jop would be a 6th man. He’s can give a boost off the bench on O and wouldn’t be on the floor with Kam so often, which hurts the D.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #376 on: March 09, 2024, 07:11:33 PM »
He had one today. Got to the line and played some solid defense.

Going to be a big summer for him.

He did, but that was it on offense.  But long arms on defense and athletic. I like him off bench, maybe he does also.  We will find out soon how it plays out.

Joplin had horrific day, with four points, zero rebounds, 0 for 5 from three and 3 fouls. Got burned twice on defense and analyst Hummel told him he has to be a bit better. After picking up third foul early in second, he sat most of second half.  Played only 19 minutes. When he is on from three, game changer and going to need few consistent games in a row.  Not a good, two bad, good, etc.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #377 on: March 09, 2024, 07:17:56 PM »
He did, but that was it on offense.  But long arms on defense and athletic. I like him off bench, maybe he does also.  We will find out soon how it plays out.

Joplin had horrific day, with four points, zero rebounds, 0 for 5 from three and 3 fouls. Got burned twice on defense and analyst Hummel told him he has to be a bit better. After picking up third foul early in second, he sat most of second half.  Played only 19 minutes. When he is on from three, game changer and going to need few consistent games in a row.  Not a good, two bad, good, etc.

Felt like it was one of those days where Jop's struggles on offense affected his defense.  I expect him to bounce back - we need him. 

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #378 on: March 09, 2024, 07:25:11 PM »
I hope one of the frosh is an absolute beast and Jop is the BE 6th man award winner next year.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #379 on: March 09, 2024, 07:25:50 PM »
He made one tonight. He hasn’t shot the 3 well since having flu. He plays D though. Ideally, Jop would be a 6th man. He’s can give a boost off the bench on O and wouldn’t be on the floor with Kam so often, which hurts the D.

any of our frosh coming in better than Ross or Jop?   if not, can Shaka actually go after a portal guy?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #380 on: March 09, 2024, 07:27:04 PM »

any of our frosh coming in better than Ross or Jop?   if not, can Shaka actually go after a portal guy?

No.  They’re going to stink
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #381 on: March 09, 2024, 07:30:33 PM »
No.  They’re going to stink

Hopefully Shaka comes to his senses and releases them from their NLI’s.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #382 on: March 09, 2024, 07:33:57 PM »
Missed shots will happen but rough game for Jop defensively.

Ya. Olivari missed a 3 in the 2nd half and got the rebound and blew right by Jop.

He did hit a huge game tying shot in the lane though.
VIOLENCE!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #383 on: March 09, 2024, 07:34:37 PM »
Hopefully Shaka comes to his senses and releases them from their NLI’s.

And urges Jolp and Chase to transfer

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #384 on: March 09, 2024, 08:33:44 PM »
Thank you for the entertainment, too bad MU lost the FT battle, this is a loss.
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #385 on: March 09, 2024, 08:35:23 PM »
Rico, I don’t think I’ll owe Goose a dinner on Ben G in the Association. Kam? I’ll wager dinner he will be a pro!!
Boy you keep being lost, sad...
Goal is National Championship

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #386 on: March 10, 2024, 08:52:56 AM »
3 refs and Val Ackerman should be fired after that game.  If the BEAST wants to put a good product on the court and on the TV, they cannot hire clowns like that to officiate.  It has happened far too often.  The best "basketball" conference needs to have professional refs.

oh, these refs were "professional" all right.  tim donaghy still has some alumni out there
don't...don't don't don't don't

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #387 on: March 10, 2024, 09:31:39 AM »
Refs were bad both ways last night. I just wish there was some semblance of consistency with the amount of contact that's allowed.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #388 on: March 10, 2024, 09:42:39 AM »
Refs were bad both ways last night. I just wish there was some semblance of consistency with the amount of contact that's allowed.

Yes, both teams had a few legitimate gripes. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #389 on: March 10, 2024, 10:11:36 AM »

Yeah, it's going to be interesting how we adjust in the NCAA. I remember one stretch where each team got mauled going to the basket without a call.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #390 on: March 10, 2024, 10:16:44 AM »
Yeah, it's going to be interesting how we adjust in the NCAA. I remember one stretch where each team got mauled going to the basket without a call.

At the risk of mistakenly being accused of defending the refs... isn't it more difficult to see a foul in those scenarios? Should a ref charge a player with a foul based upon "I'm pretty sure that he fouled, even though I did not have a clear view"?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #391 on: March 10, 2024, 10:35:18 AM »

UConn v Providence had the Three Mouseketeers: Clougherty, Driscoll and Breeding. It started with the Providence Bully Ball crap that they were letting go again but Hurley went ballistic, earning a well-deserved T.  All of a sudden the game turned around. 

I get what Sultan has been saying about how bad college officiating has been for years. Yet, the game has changed tremendously, but the way officiating is deployed hasn't changed much. There is sports betting money and NIL involved now, and the independent contractor, old boys network needs to be turned on its ears as their mediocre performance has been put under the spotlight now. The NCAA needs to stop stuffing all the money in their own pockets and invest in officiating.

I was actually hopeful when G League officials started working NCAA games early in the season, but that went away when their season started. And we were back to the same old retreads doing retread things. In the end, I agree with Sultan that the NCAA won't do much: They'll eff up a one car funeral.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #392 on: March 10, 2024, 11:41:33 AM »
Yep. The NCAA, or its conferences, need to figure out how to employ these guys full time during the year. The model is broken.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #393 on: March 10, 2024, 11:42:32 AM »
I celebrate the rights of all scoopers to mourn the MU victory in the manner they so choose.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #394 on: March 10, 2024, 11:54:49 AM »
Yep. The NCAA, or its conferences, need to figure out how to employ these guys full time during the year. The model is broken.

Develop referee schools/camps/whatever.  Plenty of current players would like to remain in the sport.  Would it work?  I don’t know but it’s worth exploring