collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sucks to be in Miami These Days  (Read 5121 times)

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
Sucks to be in Miami These Days
« on: January 29, 2022, 12:34:00 PM »
 I was in Miami the last time the temps dipped this low and it is not pleasant. My hotel, and many others, have no heat at all. So returning to a room in the low 50's is a drag. Restaurants have no heat either and sitting huddled  at your table being served by wait staff bundled and hooded is not conducive to a pleasant dining experience.
I then met a fellow alum who lived in the Keys for a couple days of drinking. Arrived down there to watch fish
spontaneously dying and floating to the surface having been euthanized by the frigid water temps.
Good times      worst part of whole  the experience was the Abergut he ordered for us

Boozemon Barro

• All American
Re: Sucks to be in Miami These Days
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 12:45:43 PM »
Ok.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 12:48:46 PM »
But at least you can catch Covid, so you have that going for you.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 12:50:16 PM »
50's is shorts weather.   Says the old guy living in the upper Midwest.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 12:50:54 PM »
I was in Miami the last time the temps dipped this low and it is not pleasant. My hotel, and many others, have no heat at all. So returning to a room in the low 50's is a drag. Restaurants have no heat either and sitting huddled  at your table being served by wait staff bundled and hooded is not conducive to a pleasant dining experience.
I then met a fellow alum who lived in the Keys for a couple days of drinking. Arrived down there to watch fish
spontaneously dying and floating to the surface having been euthanized by the frigid water temps.
Good times      worst part of whole  the experience was the Abergut he ordered for us

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 01:18:59 PM »
But at least you can catch Covid, so you have that going for you.

Are the California, New York, New J, Illinois, Penn, and Michigan c-19 numbers fake news?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 01:27:26 PM »
Are the California, New York, New J, Illinois, Penn, and Michigan c-19 numbers fake news?

It was just a joke.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2022, 02:22:27 PM »
In Miami right this minute.

Folks from Wisconsin  are in shorts.

Folks from Florida are in parkas.  #soft
Have some patience, FFS.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 02:28:28 PM »
I'm going to start spending significant time in Miami for work but I've never been. If anyone wants to opine I'm all ears.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2022, 02:57:11 PM »
Watch out for raining iguanas!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2022, 03:16:00 PM »
Watch out for raining iguanas!

Greater threat than Covid
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2022, 04:39:47 PM »

How are da broads, doe, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2022, 04:49:29 PM »
I'm going to start spending significant time in Miami for work but I've never been. If anyone wants to opine I'm all ears.
I lived there for 8 years but have been gone for twice that. Happy to try to help if you have specific questions.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2022, 06:08:16 PM »

Brickell area is nice. South Beach is mostly overrated. Don’t eat on Ocean, except for  dinner at Lario’s or lunch at the Clevelander. Lincoln Road mall is a good place to kill an afternoon, evening.  Mac’s Club Deuce is still one of the best dive bars in America.
The Wynwood district is interesting but don’t stray far.
Drink Cuban coffee or cafe con Leche served from a coffee shop window.

Edited to add. Yeah today was horrible. I had to wear closed toed shoes.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2022, 06:54:43 PM »
Picture from Miami today.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2022, 07:24:31 PM »
Appreciate it folks. I'll know more this summer. All I know now is that my friends/partners down there live the yacht/supercar life. As a Midwesterner I feel a little out of my element.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2022, 07:42:24 PM »
Appreciate it folks. I'll know more this summer. All I know now is that my friends/partners down there live the yacht/supercar life. As a Midwesterner I feel a little out of my element.

I wouldn’t worry about that. There are a variety of areas and scenes in and near Miami. More specific questions when you have them would help make it easier to answer. Good luck.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2022, 08:02:22 PM »
In Miami right this minute.

Folks from Wisconsin  are in shorts.

Folks from Florida are in parkas.  #soft

Exactly!

When we replaced our A/C system seven years ago, we were asked if we wanted heat as part of the package. If you say no in Florida, you end up with space heaters.

It’s cool today but we found manatees in Satellite Beach and spent time watching them play, swim and even eat. They are magnificent animals and fun to watch.

We Floridians manage!

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2022, 09:14:55 PM »
Currently.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2022, 09:16:04 PM »

We got your back. I will handle any yacht duties for ya!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2022, 12:02:22 AM »
Exactly!

When we replaced our A/C system seven years ago, we were asked if we wanted heat as part of the package. If you say no in Florida, you end up with space heaters.

It’s cool today but we found manatees in Satellite Beach and spent time watching them play, swim and even eat. They are magnificent animals and fun to watch.

We Floridians manage!

My parents are on a channel in St Pete.  When we were down there for Christmas, there was a pod of dolphins that cruised in and were playing near the pier/dock, no more than 25-30 feet off shore, 5-10 feet from the dock.  Close enough that you could hear the "pffft" every time they surfaced.  It was a very cool.

But this week my mom texted a video of a Manatee cow and 2 calves vegging around the dock on her morning walk and I freaked out.  Ive been going to Florida 1-2 a year my entire life and only saw a wild manatee from a distance once.  Ive had bad luck I suppose/Naples wasn't a manatee haven.  Such cool unique creatures.  I'm about to canvas their neighborhood about sightings to get info and set up a post to make sure I get some interaction next time I'm down there  ;D

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2022, 07:18:11 AM »
My parents are on a channel in St Pete.  When we were down there for Christmas, there was a pod of dolphins that cruised in and were playing near the pier/dock, no more than 25-30 feet off shore, 5-10 feet from the dock.  Close enough that you could hear the "pffft" every time they surfaced.  It was a very cool.

But this week my mom texted a video of a Manatee cow and 2 calves vegging around the dock on her morning walk and I freaked out.  Ive been going to Florida 1-2 a year my entire life and only saw a wild manatee from a distance once.  Ive had bad luck I suppose/Naples wasn't a manatee haven.  Such cool unique creatures.  I'm about to canvas their neighborhood about sightings to get info and set up a post to make sure I get some interaction next time I'm down there  ;D

Manatees are SUPREMELY cool.  I was hoping to see one up close in the Keys but it just didn't happen.   We must protect this wonderful species.  :)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2022, 08:13:45 AM »
They are quite tasty roo.  👍

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2022, 08:22:38 AM »

do you brine them chili or do you have any special manatee rubs?  remember this is a pg site so careful with your references to your special manatee rubs ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2022, 08:33:05 AM »
do you brine them chili or do you have any special manatee rubs?  remember this is a pg site so careful with your references to your special manatee rubs ;D

It depends on where you prop them.  Head shot, no brine. Gut shot, definitely brine.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2022, 08:34:28 AM »
Eye prefer Ladyatees myself. Basically, koat 'em in Mazola and enjoy, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2022, 08:44:53 AM »

We found about 200 of them in a shallow channel north of Melbourne. They are in the Indian River and tend to go inland when it gets really cold to stay warm. The water they were in was about as deep as an average bath tub.

We have seen them a couple of times before in the Indian River as we kayaked or otherwise boated. Never like this.

As a side note, manatees are having a real problem in Florida. The sea grass they eat has been depleted and they are dying. The State Department of Fish and Wildlife is dumping large quantities of lettuce at strategic locations this year to keep manatees from starving to death. Our government is only beginning to deal with the factors that have led to the seagrasa depletion, most of which relates to phosphates used in farming.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2022, 08:49:50 AM »
Draining the swamp is a huge mistake.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2022, 08:52:00 AM »
Draining the swamp is a huge mistake.

Agreed, protect our nation's wetlands.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2022, 09:17:47 AM »
Today’s weather forecast here.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2022, 09:30:17 AM »
They're the go to bacon in the Caribbean.
Goal is National Championship

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2022, 09:36:28 AM »
It depends on where you prop them.  Head shot, no brine. Gut shot, definitely brine.

This is completely and utterly unacceptable.  These are endangered animals.  WTH?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2022, 09:40:56 AM »
It’s funny, when you aim for them, they usually scoot out of the way. If you pretend to be looking the other way, your odds go up.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2022, 09:48:14 AM »
It’s funny, when you aim for them, they usually scoot out of the way. If you pretend to be looking the other way, your odds go up.

Why would you attack them?  They're herbivores. They just submerge themselves and relax in the water while pondering the mystery of life.  They are 100% innocent and are simply a bit heavy and unusual looking.  I'm shocked you would make jokes and mock their existence.  If they wanted to they could flatten kayakers but they hold no ill will towards respectful humans.  I think you should apologize.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2022, 09:53:50 AM »
You are assuming, of course, that manatees have the gift of reason and human emotions. This personification of a charming but otherwise dumb, by human standards, animal is not supported by any scientific literature.

That said, Manatees are awfully fatty and high iin cholesterol. Few people would want to eat them.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2022, 09:57:56 AM »
Manatees are herbivores…so who is here to defend the poor sea grasses?

#protecttheseagrass

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2022, 09:59:00 AM »
You are assuming, of course, that manatees have the gift of reason and human emotions. This personification of a charming but otherwise dumb, by human standards, animal is not supported by any scientific literature.

That said, Manatees are awfully fatty and high iin cholesterol. Few people would want to eat them.

Marine mammals are highly intelligent and have complex emotional structures.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2022, 10:02:29 AM »
Marine mammals are highly intelligent and have complex emotional structures.

I agree with you.  They are sneaky smart. If you aim for them, they make eye contact with you to distract you.

Very clever that way.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2022, 10:05:48 AM »
I agree with you.  They are sneaky smart. If you aim for them, they make eye contact with you to distract you.

Very clever that way.

This upsets me greatly.  These are animals protected by law.  Leave them be and let them chill in the water.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2022, 10:05:56 AM »
Why would you attack them?  They're herbivores. They just submerge themselves and relax in the water while pondering the mystery of life.  They are 100% innocent and are simply a bit heavy and unusual looking.  I'm shocked you would make jokes and mock their existence.  If they wanted to they could flatten kayakers but they hold no ill will towards respectful humans.  I think you should apologize.
That is why we mostly don't use kayaks here. We just run them over with our yachts. Just make sure to go easy on the propeller or you make a mess and can't eat them.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2022, 10:08:06 AM »
Why do some of you wish for a manatee genocide?  This is outrageous.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2022, 10:12:49 AM »
In Nassau today. I'm not saying that they are glad to have the tourists back (especially on a "cold" day) but Glow and I got a standing ovation from the bartenders and servers when we walked into the beach bar we are currently drinking at.
Have some patience, FFS.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2022, 10:19:24 AM »
In Nassau today. I'm not saying that they are glad to have the tourists back (especially on a "cold" day) but Glow and I got a standing ovation from the bartenders and servers when we walked into the beach bar we are currently drinking at.

Nice!  I thank you for the Bushwacker recommendation in the Keys.  That's a tremendous cocktail.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2022, 10:20:07 AM »
Brother Mugs,

No such thing as manatee genocide. In fact, the Florida manatee is better protected than most people are, given the state’s gun culture and Stand Your Ground law.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2022, 10:23:17 AM »
Brother Mugs,

No such thing as manatee genocide. In fact, the Florida manatee is better protected than most people are, given the state’s gun culture and Stand Your Ground law.

Be careful. I have heard most of those manatees are packing.
Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2022, 10:23:47 AM »
Nice!  I thank you for the Bushwacker recommendation in the Keys.  That's a tremendous cocktail.

Hey now.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2022, 10:26:30 AM »
Hey now.

Yep. I didn't recommend the Bushwacker. I recommended the Bud & Mary's fishing excursion.

And Lorelei's.
Have some patience, FFS.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2022, 10:27:28 AM »

But if they were packing heat right now, it is so cold they would be snuggling it for warmth.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2022, 10:32:57 AM »
Yes, that is why we don't do spearfishing when hunting them. Bastards alter their weapons into fully automatic.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2022, 10:38:22 AM »
Yep. I didn't recommend the Bushwacker. I recommended the Bud & Mary's fishing excursion.

And Lorelei's.

I had an outstanding fishing trip in Big Pine.  Lorelei’s was alright.  Lazy Days on the Ocean side was better imo.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2022, 10:44:32 AM »
Itz a jungle in da ocean, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2022, 10:48:41 AM »
Itz a jungle in da ocean, aina?
Thank god there is Aquaman

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2022, 10:52:55 AM »
I had an outstanding fishing trip in Big Pine.  Lorelei’s was alright.  Lazy Days on the Ocean side was better imo.

Lazy Days is where you go after your Bud & Mary's excursion to cook your catch. It's all good.
Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2022, 10:58:45 AM »
Lazy Days is where you go after your Bud & Mary's excursion to cook your catch. It's all good.

Bud and Mary’s has a good manatee sandwich.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2022, 11:08:05 AM »

And Lorelei's.

Lorelei’s is the home of the original bushwhacker

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2022, 11:12:09 AM »
Lorelei’s is the home of the original bushwhacker

Ya....but wasn't it invented in the Virgin Islands.  Ty again pbiflyer.  I'm generally a beer guy.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2022, 11:17:34 AM »
Ya....but wasn't it invented in the Virgin Islands.  Ty again pbiflyer.  I'm generally a beer guy.

So I am done giving you recommendations, you ungrateful bastard.
Have some patience, FFS.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2022, 11:19:34 AM »
So I am done giving you recommendations, you ungrateful bastard.

Ha!!  I do appreciate you and your suggestions!  I just forget things.  Getting old.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2022, 11:20:13 AM »
Ha!!  I do appreciate you and your suggestions!  I just forget things.  Getting old.
How old are you?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2022, 11:22:52 AM »
How old are you?

38... but I'm kind of old for my age at times.  My memory seems to be outta whack or it's perhaps anxiety.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2022, 11:44:09 AM »
Current status

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2022, 11:49:23 AM »
38... but I'm kind of old for my age at times.  My memory seems to be outta whack or it's perhaps anxiety.
I'm 60 and I don't think I'm old. You're close to my oldest age LOL.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 06:52:03 PM by Newsdreams »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2022, 11:58:00 AM »
Sew ur like Jockster snd Smithy, den, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2022, 12:37:47 PM »
Anyone here try manatee fritters? Awesome with a nice spicy sauce!

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2022, 01:57:22 PM »

I'd Smoke That

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2022, 02:21:26 PM »
Anyone here try manatee fritters? Awesome with a nice spicy sauce!

Tastes like chicken

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2022, 03:03:23 PM »
Anyone try everglades oysters?

feedback