Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Compensation for FY 13  (Read 21551 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Buzz Compensation for FY 13
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 11:15:31 PM »
No idea but compensation can be more than salary. Personal travel, considerations of other kinds, or perhaps severance in this case?

In the most current report (in my first post) on page 15, Fr. Wild and Fr. Pilarz are both listed, understanding Fr. Wild was the interim president for nine months. Fr. Wild's reportable compensation was $0 (as it was in the other years when he led), and Pilarz's was $157,890. Two Presidents, two Jesuits. One lived in an apartment, one in the Jesuit residence.  One stayed, one left.

Maybe his compensation travelled with him to his new job out of the Wisconsin Province, not sure.  As was most on his tenure, it is odd.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 01:15:27 AM »
I was referring to Pilarz, who was fired.

Pilarz wasn't "fired." He was ready for his next apostolic challenge which, as it turns out, is running a high school.

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 06:20:07 AM »
I understand what the national perception is, I'm just surprised there isn't a national hoops writer that was willing to poke around. MU has been incredibly tight lipped about the whole thing, which leads me to believe there might be skeletons there too.

"mu has been incredibly tight lipped about..."

well, if i were mu, not much to brag about here.  they are hoping, i'm sure, this all just goes away like a bad dream-now about those tuition rates, basketball season tix and seat licesnses$$$$
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 06:22:27 AM »
I was referring to Pilarz, who was fired.

Ahh gotcha. Makes sense.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 07:12:24 AM »
Pilarz wasn't "fired." He was ready for his next apostolic challenge which, as it turns out, is running a high school.

That's the corporate world equivalent when upper management "Left to pursue other opportunities.", correct?

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2015, 07:33:20 AM »
Boeing has changed the world and sports as well.

When travel went from buss to plane everything changed.

I was at the Denver airport and a high school hockey team was "flying" to Idaho for a high school game.  We have little league kids flying all over to play baseball. 

You can say I'm behind the power curve in my thinking, but something seems terribly wrong when West Virginia has to fly to Texas to play football.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2015, 07:51:23 AM »

And a fine one it is, too.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2015, 07:53:05 AM »
Boeing has changed the world and sports as well.

When travel went from buss to plane everything changed.

I was at the Denver airport and a high school hockey team was "flying" to Idaho for a high school game.  We have little league kids flying all over to play baseball. 

You can say I'm behind the power curve in my thinking, but something seems terribly wrong when West Virginia has to fly to Texas to play football.

Don't know about the power curve, but I know that you're no where near the TV money curve.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2015, 07:59:15 AM »
Fr. Wild was never listed on the 990 (such as below) as taking a "stipend", nor had Pilarz in the past. Perhaps a separation stipend or an accounting change?

http://www.marquette.edu/financeoffice/documents/FY11990PUBLIC.pdf
http://www.marquette.edu/financeoffice/documents/TY11FY12MU990PUBLIC.pdf

The stipend is paid by the Jesuit Order, not the University, so it would not be on Marquette's 990.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2015, 08:06:34 AM »
The stipend is paid by the Jesuit Order, not the University, so it would not be on Marquette's 990.

Any ideas why Pilarz was paid by MU then?  A separation settlement?

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2015, 08:10:46 AM »
Don't know about the power curve, but I know that you're no where near the TV money curve.

We agree, our economy is based on entertainment, sports, and travel.  Add a little war and communications and we have our modern world.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 08:14:47 AM »

No clue.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2015, 08:18:38 AM »
I understand what the national perception is, I'm just surprised there isn't a national hoops writer that was willing to poke around. MU has been incredibly tight lipped about the whole thing, which leads me to believe there might be skeletons there too.

What value would there be to Marquette saying anything even if there weren't skeletons?  Throwing your former coach under the bus does nothing to help your program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2015, 08:20:40 AM »
What a joke and extremely laughable. About as funny as No Dick still paying Charlie Weiss about 2 million this year. Those crazy catholic institutions forgot about frugality. But it goes full circle to Buzz: "I'll be at MU as long as they want me." Or to paraphrase Jack warden to Paul Newman in the Verdict: "You won. When they offer you the money, you have won." BTW, although it was fiction, that was a Catholic archdiocese offering the money. Oh those crazy Catholics with their money. Father Flanagan is turning in his grave. And so is Saint Peter turning over.

Well then if this bothers you, you might as well stop rooting for Marquette.  Because if Wojo is successful, they will have to open up the checkbook again.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2015, 08:37:15 AM »

Bar tab.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2015, 09:04:47 AM »

What value would there be to Marquette saying anything even if there weren't skeletons?  Throwing your former coach under the bus does nothing to help your program.

But it could have gotten MU Fred Hoiberg  ;)

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2015, 09:52:20 AM »

I'm not necessarily saying MU release an official statement or anything like that, for the reasons you said above.  By tight lipped I meant I haven't really heard any rumors/leaks and from my experience when stuff like this happens we usually end up hearing more about it over time, in this case there hasn't been much.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2015, 10:09:44 AM »
I'm not necessarily saying MU release an official statement or anything like that, for the reasons you said above.  By tight lipped I meant I haven't really heard any rumors/leaks and from my experience when stuff like this happens we usually end up hearing more about it over time, in this case there hasn't been much.

Part of that could simply be that Cords and Wild are gone.  The other part is that everyone kind of knows what happened.  The SP/LW administration clumsily put fences around the basketball program.  When those people were run out of town, Buzz thought those fences would be removed.  When that didn't happen (or happen enough) to his liking, he (likely correctly) interpreted that as he was no longer really wanted.  So he bolted.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2015, 10:24:38 AM »

Part of that could simply be that Cords and Wild are gone.  The other part is that everyone kind of knows what happened.  The SP/LW administration clumsily put fences around the basketball program.  When those people were run out of town, Buzz thought those fences would be removed.  When that didn't happen (or happen enough) to his liking, he (likely correctly) interpreted that as he was no longer really wanted.  So he bolted.

14 months of angst, hand wringing, speculation and rumor (through hundreds of posts) rendered moot by one cogent paragraph. Well done.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2015, 10:35:25 AM »

Well said. Ironic that so many of Buzz's biggest critics, rather than being happy he's gone, are still hand-wringing over the whole situation a year later.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2015, 10:35:53 AM »
14 months of angst, hand wringing, speculation and rumor (through hundreds of posts) rendered moot by one cogent paragraph. Well done.

Thank you.  The real unknown is...what if Buzz would have stuck around?

My personal feeling is that even if he bought into what Wojo bought into, that he was never going to be happy here any longer.  His colleagues just didn't really like him all that much.  Look, I know successful coaches can be a pain in the a$$ - I mean do you think Nick Saban is really "likeable?"  But I don't think him building a little empire over in the Al was a real good strategic move on his part.

His departure was inevitable, and it was best that it happened when it did.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2015, 10:41:12 AM »
Well said. Ironic that so many of Buzz's biggest critics, rather than being happy he's gone, are still hand-wringing over the whole situation a year later.

Yeah I have no clue why willie keeps referring to me as a "slurper."  I have repeatedly said that I am happy the way things have turned out.  I also think that Wojo's playing time decisions validated Buzz's decisions.  Those decisions unfortunately were driven by multiple recruiting mistakes by Buzz.

As I said, the only real unknown to me is if Wojo can coach.  We'll find that out soon enough.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2015, 10:47:22 AM »
Here's the year by year breakdown. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2015, 10:58:46 AM »

Yeah I have no clue why willie keeps referring to me as a "slurper."  I have repeatedly said that I am happy the way things have turned out.  I also think that Wojo's playing time decisions validated Buzz's decisions.  Those decisions unfortunately were driven by multiple recruiting mistakes by Buzz.

As I said, the only real unknown to me is if Wojo can coach.  We'll find that out soon enough.

Yup. If this past year showed anything, it's that Buzz missed a ton on high school recruits.

Of his 17 high school recruits as a head coach, 10 left Marquette without finishing their careers (Jeronne Maymon, Erik Williams, Yous Mbao, Jamail Jones, Reggie Smith, Todd Mayo, Steve Taylor, Jamal Ferguson, Deonte Burton, John Dawson) and to date only one of those that left was truly productive at a high major level (Maymon).

Of the 7 that stayed (Junior Cadougan, Vander Blue, Davante Gardner, Juan Anderson, Derrick Wilson, Jajuan Johnson, Duane Wilson), it looks like thus far one exceeded expectations (Gardner), three met expectations (Cadougan, Blue, Duane), and three fell short (Juan, Derrick, Jajuan).

So in total, Buzz had 4/17 high school recruits that either met or exceeded expectations. Suffice to say, that's not good. But instead of being happy that he's gone, they lament his tenure and throw the slurper term around. If I'm a "slurper" for pointing out his 23.5% success rate with high school recruits, oh well.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2015, 11:10:36 AM »
And a fine one it is, too.

Hoya Saxa!

Death on call