Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ky Madden to Arkansas  (Read 16046 times)

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
Ky Madden to Arkansas
« on: September 29, 2010, 11:13:02 AM »
Not really a big loss for MU as any serious interest seemed to have wained a long time ago. Just though I'd pass it along. Arkansas has an incredible class coming in.

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Ky Madden to Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 12:30:11 PM »
that is two that Ark. pulled from us---BJ Young also.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 12:43:03 PM »
that is two that Ark. pulled from us---BJ Young also.

I'm not sure a kid from Arkansas choosing his home state school over one 600 miles away qualifies as being "pulled from us."

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 01:11:05 PM »
I've said it before...but I'm not sure what kids are seeing in John Pelphrey as a Head Coach.  He's been on the job 3+ years and the teams record has gotten worse each year.  But, somehow he's landed a GREAT class this year.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 01:17:45 PM »
I've said it before...but I'm not sure what kids are seeing in John Pelphrey as a Head Coach.  He's been on the job 3+ years and the teams record has gotten worse each year.  But, somehow he's landed a GREAT class this year.

That's why you don't completely judge coaches on just the first few years of work.  Sometimes it takes awhile.  Doesn't mean he will succeed, but plenty of examples out there of guys struggling out of the gates only to hit on all cylinders a few years down the road.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 01:19:10 PM »

With all those bad players on the roster, there must be plenty of PT available for the new guys.

(Is there a color I can use to represent "only kind of sarcastic"?)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 01:20:07 PM »
That's why you don't completely judge coaches on just the first few years of work.  Sometimes it takes awhile.  Doesn't mean he will succeed, but plenty of examples out there of guys struggling out of the gates only to hit on all cylinders a few years down the road.

Oh boy! I hope this leads to a Crean vs. Buzz debate!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 01:39:25 PM »

Rest assured.  They all do.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 01:44:47 PM »
I'm not sure a kid from Arkansas choosing his home state school over one 600 miles away qualifies as being "pulled from us."

Sorry--let me rephrase it: There were about 10 top 100 recruits that we were earlier reported to be after. Madden from Ark. and Young from Ark/Mo. that have committed to Ark. So we lost out to Ark. for those two.
There are still a few from that earlier list that have not committed:
Faust from Baltimore
Harrison from Tx.
Shaw from Chicago
Space from Tx.
Tharpe from NH/Mass.
Miller from Chicago
And we lost out MSU on Dawson
Still hoping we can land at least two from the remaining list.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 02:16:43 PM »
Interesting comments. Both Ark and Miss recruit him for months if not years. The kid is ready to choose Ole Miss. Ark finds out and has a last minute meeting with KM.

He changes his mind and calls it a "business decision".

What could they possibly have said to him in the last meeting that he didn't know before?

"It was a business decision." Madden told RebelGrove.com's Chase Parham. "I changed my mind at the table."

UPDATE: 12:10 PM Sources close to Madden have indicated that Arkansas coaches caught wind that Madden was going to chose Ole Miss. They decided to make a very late push to try to get him to change his mind, and the push obviously paid off.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 02:27:39 PM »
Interesting comments. Both Ark and Miss recruit him for months if not years. The kid is ready to choose Ole Miss. Ark finds out and has a last minute meeting with KM.

He changes his mind and calls it a "business decision".

What could they possibly have said to him in the last meeting that he didn't know before?

"It was a business decision." Madden told RebelGrove.com's Chase Parham. "I changed my mind at the table."

UPDATE: 12:10 PM Sources close to Madden have indicated that Arkansas coaches caught wind that Madden was going to chose Ole Miss. They decided to make a very late push to try to get him to change his mind, and the push obviously paid off.

Hope that was just a poor choice of words on their part
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

TheTasteofGarlic

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 02:42:33 PM »

So we should expect Magic to happen down in Bloomington? Thank God. I was beginning to think Tom Crean had lost his touch. After all, recruiting to IIII is, how you say, simple as pie, no?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 02:51:39 PM »
I think there is a more interesting hypothetical at play here than the tired Tom Crean debate.

It seems here is an example of a coach who can undoubtedly recruit top talent, but is questionable at turning that into W's. Given the focus of coaching searches on recruiting, and the way that coaching/recruiting seems to be more disconnected than ever in how coaches are judged, what would a fan base response to this type of program development be?  I've got to think that these classes serve to get the fan base excited every year, but what about the ensuing disappointment?  Plus, you can't have rumblings to get rid of a guy that brings in this type of talent, can you?  Would those rumblings undercut his main strength, project program uncertainty and then prohibit him from future classes? 

Just seems like an interesting case study.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 02:55:56 PM »
So we should expect Magic to happen down in Bloomington? Thank God. I was beginning to think Tom Crean had lost his touch. After all, recruiting to IIII is, how you say, simple as pie, no?

Simple as pie?  No, but I would think if he can recruit to a losing team (14-15), no facilities, Conference USA, non-NIT program that had one Sweet 16 team in 20 years and more years of non-NCAA appearances than NCAA appearances in that same period and turn them into a Final Four program.....I'd think he can probably have an easier time in the LONG RUN at IU than MU.  Easy as pie?  No.  Easier in the long run?  Yes.  Stable conference, state that produces better basketball talent, long long history of winning, etc, etc.  Just my hunch, we'll see over the long run how it turns out.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 02:59:52 PM »

It shouldn't, but someone will bring up his name I guarantee it.  To me it's simply a matter of when to judge a coach...we all have different measurement periods, clearly.

TheTasteofGarlic

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 03:33:34 PM »
It shouldn't, but someone will bring up his name I guarantee it.  To me it's simply a matter of when to judge a coach...we all have different measurement periods, clearly.

I believe we should be hearing from the IIII jury soon enough. I await their verdict with great relish.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 04:00:45 PM »

Yes, but I don't agree with yours, therefore I will use it to mock you.

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 04:05:40 PM »
I believe we should be hearing from the IIII jury soon enough. I await their verdict with great relish.

It took them 30 years before they decided to fire Bob Knight.  Maybe that should be our new standard.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 04:08:12 PM »

Uhm ok.  Last I checked Fred Glass and McRobbie will make that decision as they are judge and jury for the most part.  My guess is they will land Yogi Ferrell in the next few weeks. If they get Zeller away from UNC, well that would be a very big get for them (odds are they won't, but you never know).  He has verbals from 3 very good players in 2012 through 2014.  I think you are going to wait quite awhile for that relished verdict.  IMO

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 04:18:42 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Why does someone have to start this in every thread? They are just waiting for you to bring it up so they can hijack another one.  Don't play into their dastardly plans....
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

TheRock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 04:20:04 PM »
Tom Crean
"It doesn't matter what your name is"

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 04:21:17 PM »

Yes....someone ELSE always brings his name up, don't they Chicos?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

TheRock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 04:24:28 PM »
Tom Crean....muahhahahahaha
"It doesn't matter what your name is"

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 04:25:29 PM »
Tom Crean

You said the word! Stop saying the word!

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 04:30:09 PM »
Simple as pie?  No, but I would think if he can recruit to a losing team (14-15), no facilities, Conference USA, non-NIT program that had one Sweet 16 team in 20 years and more years of non-NCAA appearances than NCAA appearances in that same period and turn them into a Final Four program.....I'd think he can probably have an easier time in the LONG RUN at IU than MU.  Easy as pie?  No.  Easier in the long run?  Yes.  Stable conference, state that produces better basketball talent, long long history of winning, etc, etc.  Just my hunch, we'll see over the long run how it turns out.

How do you reconcile Crean's recruiting getting WORSE after the Final Four, and Al McGuire Center were built..and for that matter once we joined the Big East?  2004, 2006, and 2007 classes were pretty weak.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

feedback