Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Interview with Michael Snaer  (Read 5587 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Interview with Michael Snaer
« on: September 28, 2008, 11:15:03 PM »
Interview with Michael Snaer

Written by: Todd Rosiak

Michael Snaer, one of the nation's most highly sought-after recruits, wrapped up his official visit to MU and headed back home to Moreno Valley, Calif. on Sunday.

It was an eventful visit, with a campus tour, a couple of open runs with current Golden Eagles players and a trip to the Cubs-Brewers game at Miller Park on Saturday, and one that Snaer definitely seemed to enjoy.

I was able to catch up with the 6-foot-4 shooting guard later Sunday night to get his impressions on the campus, the team and the city, and here's what he had to say:

What were your overall impressions of MU? I came down on Friday, and it was a real good visit. I had a real good time. I talked to the coaches a lot, and they seemed really interested, and I really liked what they were talking about. The team was real cool. I got along with all the players. They were real cool. They were real honest with me about everything, so it was real good. The best part I liked about it, though, was that they all work hard. Being around the team every day, they don't take anything for granted. That's the best part -- every day is a work day, and every day you've got to get better, and take advantage of every day.

This was actually the second time you were on campus, correct? You were also in town unofficially for one of Buzz Williams' basketball camps over the summer, I believe. Yes, I came up here earlier. I already had a feel for surroundings. I had already seen the campus and all that, and I had seen the gym and everything. I had already met with the players already too and everything.

What did you you think of the Al McGuire Center? I really liked it. The gym is beautiful. The practice gym that we played in, I really liked it. I liked the environment, the atmosphere. 

How do you like Buzz? I think he's a real good coach because he gets along well with his guys, and it sounds like they're just real close. He makes them work hard -- that's the best part. He really brings the best out of each player as much as he can, and that's the best part about him.

Did Buzz talk to you about what kind of style he envisoned you playing were you to ultimately choose MU? Yeah, he told me that they play hard, they play 'D'. He told me about the point guard that they're going to have coming in, Junior Cadougan. They said that he's really unselfish and he really wants me to play with him because he wants me to play on the perimeter and it's going to make me better. I thought about that a lot. He was telling me how it was going to be when I get here -- just as long as I work hard I should be able to come in and play right away.

You took official visits to Missouri and Florida State prior to coming to MU. How would you compare and contrast the three visits, and what you saw on each? The whole recruiting process, it's like they're all saying the same things, so it's the little things that you've got to bring out. And one of the real good things that attracted me to Marquette is that they just play hard. How tough they are and how hard they work.

Florida State and Missouri are bigger schools and have football teams. Basketball at Marquette, meanwhile, is the biggest show on campus. How much does the thought of being 'the' show at MU appeal to you? It feels good, but it really doesn't matter to me because at the end of the day you've still got to win games. Either way, it doesn't really matter to me. I'm still going to play as hard as I can, no matter what.

UCLA and Kansas are your other two finalists. Do you have official visits scheduled with both at this point? Next weekend I'm going to UCLA, and I'm not sure when I'm going to Kansas. 

After you make those final two visits, what will be the one or two most important factors to you when you make your final decision? Wow, I'm really not even sure. It's just the feel that I get from each school, the opportunity that's there for me is probably going to be the biggest thing. And just the coaches, seeing if I can fit inside the program and my teammates around me. Coming into a program and hopefully winning.

Do you have any kind of timeframe as far as when you're planning on making a decision? I'm not even sure. I can say that I'll make my decision after I make my last visit, but then something else always comes up and another thought always comes to mind. Something new about some school I'll find out and then re-check. There's always something new that I have to take into consideration. So I could say that, but then again I can always change my mind and go back and say, 'Hold on.' This is going to be one of the biggest decisions of my (life) so I've got to make sure that I make the right one. So I'm not actually sure when I'm going to make it. It'll be made when the time comes.

This has got to be a great time in your life, but can you talk about how much pressure there is on you to make a decision, and make the right one? I'm trying to get used to it a little bit. If I don't want to talk to them I just don't really answer the phone or whatever the case may be. I've just really got to focus on basketball right now. But I don't really think too much of it. I don't let it get to me.

What do you know about the Big East, and what's the attraction of potentially playing in it? Seriously, I don't really watch a lot of college basketball or NBA basketball, really. Most of my time I spend in the gym. Any spare time I have I'm in the gym. I'm not really watching basketball that much. I might get a chance to sit down and watch a little bit, and I like to take things from those games and add them into mine as time goes on. But as far as sitting down and watching games on the regular, no, I don't really do it.

You do look at the Big East as one of, if not the, best conferences in college basketball though, correct? Oh yeah. I already know that. That much I do know. They showed me that too, while I was at Marquette.

You're a California native. How important will location be when you make your decision? I've been traveling a lot and it hasn't really affected me, but I probably won't really know until I get there and I start missing home. I don't think it's going to make a big difference in my decision, but I know when I get there and I do go far I might get homesick. I might not. I really don't know. But it won't really affect my decision.

For people who haven't seen you play, can you break down your strengths as a player? Really I'm just a tough player, and competitive. I'm really tough on defense, that the first thing. I can get rebounds over whoever because I play really hard. Being 6-5 I can play like I'm 7-foot. It don't matter -- I can get out there and bang with the best of them. I shoot it very well. That complements my drive, and I can do that just as well, even better. But because I shoot so good people don't see it some games because my shot goes in a lot. But I can drive even better than I can shoot. But other than that, my passing is good, too. The AAU team I play on I have to score a lot, but I can pass. I know how to run a team, I know how to be a leader on a team, and I also know how to take direction from another leader on a team. I'm coachable, all that. I'm a student of the game.

Yesterday in open gym you matched up from the very beginning with MU's best player, Jerel McNeal, and really held your own. What was that like? I knew I was going to be there and play two days. So the first day when I came in I just played regular, and just matched myself up to see how everybody played and everybody could see how I played against them. Then after that I went to my hotel room and thought about how I was going to come out the next day. I don't know what kind of expectations they had of me, or if they were like, 'Oh, he's not that good.' I don't really know. But I really didn't try to play too aggressive, I just wanted to go through it and see how everybody was or whatever.

So the second day I came out, my coach talked to me and he was like, 'I don't care who you play against, I want you to take their heart and stomp on it. You've got to play that way.' I was like, 'OK.' It didn't matter to me who was guarding me or who I was guarding -- I was going to play as hard as I can no matter what. So first game I came out and I figured Jerel was going to guard me and he did, so I guarded him back. I accepted that challenge. I'm going to play against a lot of older guys in my career, so that doesn't really matter. I know that he's older and stronger or whatever, but I'm going to have to be tougher to play against him, play my best game against him.

I wasn't going to back down or be scared playing against him. He's a really, really, really, really good player, so I knew I was going to have to play real hard and hold my own. That was just the main thing I was trying to do.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/09/28/interview-with-michael-snaer.aspx

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Interview with Michael Snaer
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 11:32:57 PM »
Todd is hookin' it up!

And man...young Mr. Snaer sure is leaving this MU fan VERY optimistic.

"...it's the little things that you've got to bring out. And one of the real good things that attracted me to Marquette is that they just play hard. How tough they are and how hard they work."

That was like the fifth time he mentioned how hard our guys play.

And then about him being from California and if distance mattered:

"...won't really affect my decision"

And then even if we don't get him, we have this little quote about Jerel McNeal to keep us consoled for the upcoming season:

"He's a really, really, really, really good player"

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 12:04:38 AM »
The more I hear about this kid the more I like him. He seems to fit the MU gymrat mold. This also answers the question posed in another thread about where a kid stays on an offical visit... a hotel.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 05:37:53 AM »
Play with an unselfish point guard who wants him to come here and play the perimeter, make me a better player, with lots of playing time. "I thought about that alot"

"I am really tough on defense. Being 6-5, I can play like I'm 7 foot."

This kid has a confident attitude and appears to like MU. Nice interview.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 06:11:31 AM »
I won't get overly optimistic about our chances. There are a lot of big time schools involved with Snaer. That said, if this kid choses MU, we might be in excellent shape in two years. Can you imagine the Cadougan, Maymon, Snaer, Williams line-up as sophomores? Throw in an upper-classman Otule or McMorrow and we could be right back to where we are now. Otule and McMorrow wouldn't need to be much better than junior year Barro for us to be successful.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 07:50:13 AM »
I won't get overly optimistic about our chances. There are a lot of big time schools involved with Snaer. That said, if this kid choses MU, we might be in excellent shape in two years. Can you imagine the Cadougan, Maymon, Snaer, Williams line-up as sophomores? Throw in an upper-classman Otule or McMorrow and we could be right back to where we are now. Otule and McMorrow wouldn't need to be much better than junior year Barro for us to be successful.

Exactly.  I forgot to mention that yeah, he has me very optimistic, but then again, he's probably very political and not tryin' to lean towards anyone yet, and I respect that. 

I just hope our team's hard work ethics and immediately available playing time will be enough for him!

LovinCrowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 08:23:59 PM »
I am impressed with this kid - what an intelligent, insightful person.  I sure hope he comes to Marquette.  A class act.....

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 12:45:37 AM »
At least he gets along with the team and likes the hard work.  There's always a chance, but I'm sure Kansas and UCLA are going to give him a great showing as well.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 08:26:37 AM »
One thing playing in MU's favor is Kansas and UCLA have McDonald's all-american types at the 2 and are also recruiting other Mcdonalds' all-american type for the spot.  So unlike at Mu he does not have a spot basically guarnateed for him.  Additionally, those two may sign another 4 or 5 star 2 before he makes up his mind.  for example Bill Self just had an in home visit with Dominic cheek and the sign a pretty good 2 guard in taylor last year. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 11:16:52 AM »
I am satisfied that the staff and team did everything they could to convince him.   We are up against some extremely heavy hitters.   Great get if we land him, not a huge shock or end of the world if we don't.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 01:14:39 PM »
Let's hope that being able to be the big star here is betting than being one of the two or three big stars at Kansas or UCLA.