[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Snaring Snaer is critical  (Read 6323 times)

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
Snaring Snaer is critical
« on: September 29, 2008, 01:27:45 AM »
I hope everyone understands that landing Snaer would be program changing in my opinion.  With our trio leaving, we need big time players to stay competitive in the Big East.  I think he is the difference between becoming the next Seton Hall or DePaul next year OR keeping our current status or better.  If we got Snaer, our incoming class would be 3 four stars and a five star.  That is elite program caliber recruiting.  He would probably give us the NUMBER ONE recruiting class.  Its amazing to think about considering the other programs we are competing with (UNC, Duke, Kansas, UCLA, and MANY MORE)  These kind of recruiting classes is what puts teams in the National Championship discussion. 

So potentially, in 2009, we have PG who will not HAVE to make plays and can grow.  Haywood, Snaer (a lights out jump shooter), 2 seven footers, and some promising role players.  I think I would actually have expectations for 2009.  As it stands, I am not really looking forward to that year.  I love that trio too much.

WE NEED THIS KID!
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
Re: Snaring Snaer is critical
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 02:02:51 AM »
good post!  however, if snaer doesn't come we aren't instantly lower rung Big East.  I do agree that if he comes it's big-- real big. 

I am looking forward to Maymon and Williams getting here n 2009 as well along with Cadougan.  If Buzz and his staff can game coach that group, we'll be doing pretty well. 

Regarding expectations for 2009, just remember UConn and Syracuse always seem to have great recruiting classes but sometimes come up short on the court.  I agree we need to temper our expectations, even if Snaer comes. 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 08:10:08 AM »
It is good to think positive, but to make it a requirement for us to have a top notch team and program is just plain incorrect.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 09:20:23 AM »
It is good to think positive, but to make it a requirement for us to have a top notch team and program is just plain incorrect.
Exactly.  It will be sweet to snare Snaer; but, to say its crtical is silly.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 09:56:55 AM »
who's this Haywood guy?  new recruit?

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 11:06:59 AM »
The likelihood that Snaer comes to MU is pretty low, and honestly I am really looking forward to this class regardless of whether he comes or not.  The last time we had two athletic forwards over 6'5 or 6'6 was ages ago.  Even if we are losing our trio, Cadougan will fill in nicely at point guard and we always have Acker and Cubillan who could step up more in these coming years.  We will finally have a team with some size to compete in the Big East as well, and with a year under his belt, McMorrow might be able to contribute some.  I'm not gonna lie, getting Snaer would be amazing though.  Our team would be even better than it is now in probably only one season.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 01:46:29 PM »
Does Marquette need a top tier basketball program for me to continue to watch every game?  Absolutely not.  But when we are very close to it and an extra bump would do alot for us, I want it.  Here go my point really.

Does anyone really have any expectations for 2009?  Are you saying... Man, if we don't make the tournament then something is wrong with the program.  My expectations for 2009 are aimed very low in the hopes of being pleasantly surprised.  Fact is that we lucked out.  There are many times that 4 star, and even 5 star, players bust.  I will admit that in comparison to their freshmen years, I think Wes and DJ are underachieving but I am happy they are on our team.  We don't know how this kids will play their first year or how they will develop.  And I don't think we will know how good of a coach we have until next year.

With Snaer, I think I would actually have expectations.  That's a good thing.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 02:19:04 PM »
The likelihood that Snaer comes to MU is pretty low, and honestly I am really looking forward to this class regardless of whether he comes or not.  The last time we had two athletic forwards over 6'5 or 6'6 was ages ago.  Even if we are losing our trio, Cadougan will fill in nicely at point guard and we always have Acker and Cubillan who could step up more in these coming years.  We will finally have a team with some size to compete in the Big East as well, and with a year under his belt, McMorrow might be able to contribute some.  I'm not gonna lie, getting Snaer would be amazing though.  Our team would be even better than it is now in probably only one season.

Is this just a feeling you have about Snaer?  1) I would think that any 18 year old would want to be part of a top 1,2, or 3 recruiting class....especially being the top recruit in that class.  2)  Being on ESPN all year and the exposure the big east gets is an advantage.  3)  Starting as a freshman.  4) Going to a school that has been the NCAA tournament 5 straight years. 6)  Great facilities. 7) 3-5 players in the NBA following next season. 

There are lots of advantages, as well as disadvantages.  But to say there is little chance I disagree with, if he didn't seriously consider Marquette, he wouldn't have chosen it for a official visit after already being here once before.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 02:27:36 PM »
'Critical' is a subjective word.

Is Snaer critical for MU to be above .500% in Big East play? No
Is Snaer critical for MU to get on an amazing run as a 4 or 5 seed and make a Final Four? No
Is Snaer critical for MU to enter the NCAA tournament as a 1 or 2 seed, expected to make the Final Four? Yes

The difference between being the 15-20th best team in the country and the top five is huge.  It would take a player of this caliber to get there, and I hope we land him.  That said, if we don't, it doesn't spell doom for our program.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 03:06:42 PM »
Is this just a feeling you have about Snaer?  1) I would think that any 18 year old would want to be part of a top 1,2, or 3 recruiting class....especially being the top recruit in that class.  2)  Being on ESPN all year and the exposure the big east gets is an advantage.  3)  Starting as a freshman.  4) Going to a school that has been the NCAA tournament 5 straight years. 6)  Great facilities. 7) 3-5 players in the NBA following next season. 

There are lots of advantages, as well as disadvantages.  But to say there is little chance I disagree with, if he didn't seriously consider Marquette, he wouldn't have chosen it for a official visit after already being here once before.

And these are advantages that he doesn't get by going to UCLA or Kansas?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 04:24:32 PM »
Exactly, it's not like Marquette is the only school with all of these perks.  Not only do the other schools competing for him have these, but most of them are probably better.  I highly doubt you can honestly say you think we have a good shot at getting him.

Pardner

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 04:33:52 PM »
3)  Starting as a freshman. 

Marquette can only offer this (#3) over UCLA and Kansas...not Missouri or FSU, though, his original suitors.  He stated he is looking closely at the coaches and will pick the place that will make him better--something he experienced first hand this summer at MU's camp.  The kid seems pretty reasoned and is going to pick the right place for him.  Refreshing

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 05:00:19 PM »
We have a chance until he says no.  If he says yes to us, we have a very good chance :)

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 07:56:29 PM »
Exactly, it's not like Marquette is the only school with all of these perks.  Not only do the other schools competing for him have these, but most of them are probably better.  I highly doubt you can honestly say you think we have a good shot at getting him.

off topic, but can we get billy packer out of retirement for a junior to jeronne alley-oop and a "Send it in Jeronne!"

also, can we please get snare?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 08:15:17 PM »
off topic, but can we get billy packer out of retirement for a junior to jeronne alley-oop and a "Send it in Jeronne!"

also, can we please get snare?

luckily for all, the send it in line is bill raferty's, who's still around.  leave packer be.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 11:27:11 PM »
luckily for all, the send it in line is bill raferty's, who's still around.  leave packer be.

thank goodness. i almost couldnt sleep. and i knew raferty was good for something other than saying 'the big fella'

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 05:41:55 AM »
thank goodness. i almost couldnt sleep. and i knew raferty was good for something other than saying 'the big fella'

And "Onions!" or "Man-to-Man"...ahh Rafferty is the best..

reinko

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 09:20:46 AM »
And "Onions!" or "Man-to-Man"...ahh Rafferty is the best..

Not too mention...

With the kissssss off the glass  and

The little man...amongst the trees!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 05:59:01 PM »
I'd really like our chances if UCLA wasn't one of the schools.

That being said I don't like our chances.

feedback