collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Offcial White Sox Playoff Page  (Read 14185 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: The Offcial White Sox Playoff Page
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2009, 08:58:24 AM »
Update:  The coin flip is history, one year too late.   :(

Coin flips outlawed: Baseball owners have approved a rule for 2009 that eliminates coin flips to determine the sites of one-game playoffs. At the game's quarterly meetings in Paradise Valley, Ariz., this week, the owners ratified a proposal made at the winter meetings last month — "one year too late," joked Twins President Dave St. Peter.

Two-way ties now will be broken by a one-game playoff in the home park of the team with a better head-to-head record, rather than a coin flip. The Twins lost a one-game showdown for the American League Central championship last October, 1-0 — a game played at U.S. Cellular Field in Chicago, despite Minnesota's 10-8 advantage over the White Sox, because Chicago won a coin flip a month earlier.

"Everybody agreed that this is the fairer way," St. Peter said.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2009, 09:01:26 AM »
Update:  The coin flip is history, one year too late.   :(

Coin flips outlawed: Baseball owners have approved a rule for 2009 that eliminates coin flips to determine the sites of one-game playoffs. At the game's quarterly meetings in Paradise Valley, Ariz., this week, the owners ratified a proposal made at the winter meetings last month — "one year too late," joked Twins President Dave St. Peter.

Two-way ties now will be broken by a one-game playoff in the home park of the team with a better head-to-head record, rather than a coin flip. The Twins lost a one-game showdown for the American League Central championship last October, 1-0 — a game played at U.S. Cellular Field in Chicago, despite Minnesota's 10-8 advantage over the White Sox, because Chicago won a coin flip a month earlier.

"Everybody agreed that this is the fairer way," St. Peter said.
So do they still flip a coin if the teams have a .500 record against each other?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2009, 09:31:15 AM »
Good question.  Further from MLB.com:

PARADISE VALLEY, Ariz. -- Two significant rule changes affecting the postseason and one-game tiebreakers were approved by the 30 Major League Baseball owners at their first joint meeting of the year on Thursday.

..coin flips will no longer determine host teams. Instead, now that host will be decided by a series of on-field tiebreakers, beginning with head-to-head records. If that's tied, the next is highest winning percentage within a team's division, followed by the highest winning percentage for each team in intraleague play during the second half of the season.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2009, 09:59:45 AM »
Sort of unrelated, but I had an opportunity to wear an authentic 2005 White Sox world series ring on Saturday night.  I'm not a Sox fan, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity.  Of course I took a picture with my phone.  They're big...and shiny.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

feedback