[Today at 04:12:37 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by GoldenEaglePAC
[Today at 01:18:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Kam Jones is a top 10 player in 2025 by PaintTouches
[Today at 12:32:36 PM]

New Assistant Coach by dspan34
[Today at 12:23:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Official Cubs Playoff page  (Read 32860 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs Playoff page
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2008, 07:27:29 PM »
Hint, it had little-to-nothing to do with these dress-up/theme parties you're so hung up on....
Again, you're the one who spent a good 2 paragraphs explaining why these are wrong.  This is the only one I would ever consider going to, as it would just be fun to make fun of Cubs fans, as it is on here.

At any rate, yes, I will gloat about our 1 win in the past 26 years in the playoffs, because that 1 win came this year, whereas the Cubs have 0 wins in the past 5 years.  So yes, you have had more success than the Brewers in your franchise, but you have also been around much longer.  As of recently we have had more postseason success, since we have a win in the last five years and you don't.  It's not like either team is producing World Series appearances year in and year out.  Your last World Series appearance was in 1948, or 60 years ago, before some of the people on this forum were born, and your last World Series championship was 100 years ago, or before I would guess everyone on this board was born.  Both of those dates come before the Milwaukee Brewers were even a franchise.  So go ahead, make the claim that "100 years ago is better than never," but nobody was around then, and neither were the Brewers, so for all of us it's never a championship for the Cubs.  The Milwaukee BREWERS have been in the World Series more recently too, in 1982, 34 years after the last Cubs World Series appearance.  The city of Milwaukee has seen a more recent World Series Champion in baseball than the Cubs have (1957 as the MILWAUKEE Braves), and made another appearance the year after that.  The White Sox won the World Series in 2005, so obviously the city of Chicago has seen a World Series Champion more recently, but the Cubs have not helped in that cause.  So if either of us is trying to claim that one of our teams is God's gift to baseball we'd be kidding ourselves.  Quite honestly, based on the highest achievement possible in baseball, both franchises suck.  So, I can have a little fun with the fact that we won a game in the playoffs this year and you didn't win one in the last 5 years after hearing all year, and all my life, about how superior the Cubs are to the Brewers, just like you could've for the previous 26 years.  Most recently we have had a better showing in the playoffs (1 win to 0 wins in favor of the Brewers this year), but neither team really blows people away with their postseason success.

Does that argument work?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Eye

• All American
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2008, 04:30:21 AM »
Kind of hurts your argument when you don't site the correct year the Cubs last made the World Series ...
GO WARRIORS!

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2008, 10:01:34 AM »
Again, you're the one who spent a good 2 paragraphs explaining why these are wrong.  This is the only one I would ever consider going to, as it would just be fun to make fun of Cubs fans, as it is on here.

At any rate, yes, I will gloat about our 1 win in the past 26 years in the playoffs, because that 1 win came this year, whereas the Cubs have 0 wins in the past 5 years.  So yes, you have had more success than the Brewers in your franchise, but you have also been around much longer.  As of recently we have had more postseason success, since we have a win in the last five years and you don't.  It's not like either team is producing World Series appearances year in and year out.  Your last World Series appearance was in 1948, or 60 years ago, before some of the people on this forum were born, and your last World Series championship was 100 years ago, or before I would guess everyone on this board was born.  Both of those dates come before the Milwaukee Brewers were even a franchise.  So go ahead, make the claim that "100 years ago is better than never," but nobody was around then, and neither were the Brewers, so for all of us it's never a championship for the Cubs.  The Milwaukee BREWERS have been in the World Series more recently too, in 1982, 34 years after the last Cubs World Series appearance.  The city of Milwaukee has seen a more recent World Series Champion in baseball than the Cubs have (1957 as the MILWAUKEE Braves), and made another appearance the year after that.  The White Sox won the World Series in 2005, so obviously the city of Chicago has seen a World Series Champion more recently, but the Cubs have not helped in that cause.  So if either of us is trying to claim that one of our teams is God's gift to baseball we'd be kidding ourselves.  Quite honestly, based on the highest achievement possible in baseball, both franchises suck.  So, I can have a little fun with the fact that we won a game in the playoffs this year and you didn't win one in the last 5 years after hearing all year, and all my life, about how superior the Cubs are to the Brewers, just like you could've for the previous 26 years.  Most recently we have had a better showing in the playoffs (1 win to 0 wins in favor of the Brewers this year), but neither team really blows people away with their postseason success.

Does that argument work?

I'll let the whole buddy dress-up/theme party thing die....let us know how that goes....this is another reason why we need football at MU.

I can appreciate your knowledge, attempt at research and the passion for your team.  Your argument gets a little watered down and off track when you start referencing the Milwaukee Braves and White Sox. 

You keep mentioning the last 5 years.  I would think that most people would say that the Cubs have been fairly successful by winning the NL Central 3 out of the last 6 years...including winning a playoff series...not just one game....do not take this as gloating....clearly, Cubs fans want/expect a lot more.  The Brewers are the only team in MLB to have not won their division in the last 26 years.

Getting back to my two original points. 
1) After a season-long pissing match thread there was absolutely no need to come into the Cubs Playoff page to taunt and ridicule Cubs fans (who were clearly distraught enough on our own)....that was childish and is what fueled this last round of garbage.

2) I still don't understand the gloating over losing a first round playoff series 3-1 (never will)...yes, the Cubs got swept....if that makes you feel better about the Brewers post-season performance, so be it....but gloating about it to the fans of the team that finished 7.5 games in front of you and won the division is a little ridiculous.  Winning one game in the first round playoff series and not advancing (in any major sport) is really nothing to get overly excited about....advancing to the next round?  Now that's another thing.  I could see where it was exciting since it happened in Milwaukee (with your backs against the wall down 0-2)....which had not happened in 26 years...there could/should be some enjoyment from that...but to gloat about it?

It would be like if Marquette and DePaul both made the NCAA Tournament this coming season and both lost in the first round....with the DePaul fans taunting us because they at least led by 10 at halftime and we trailed the entire game. They could argue that they performed better.  They've won 1 NCAA game in 20 years whereas we've been to a Final Four, Sweet Sixteen and have won 8 NCAA tournament games in 8 appearances with a couple conference titles during that time while DePaul has zero conference titles and 4 NCAA appearances.  Sure, all MU fans would prefer a National Championship to our relatively modest NCAA success...but to hear it from them?

I agree that neither team has set the benchmark for postseason success....hopefully that'll change some day.  There's nothing wrong with having a little fun....but there's no room for taunting/ridiculing the other side for a painful, season ending loss caused by another team.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 10:08:57 AM by MarquetteFan94 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2008, 10:43:21 AM »
I'll let the whole buddy dress-up/theme party thing die....let us know how that goes....this is another reason why we need football at MU.

I can appreciate your knowledge, attempt at research and the passion for your team.  Your argument gets a little watered down and off track when you start referencing the Milwaukee Braves and White Sox. 

You keep mentioning the last 5 years.  I would think that most people would say that the Cubs have been fairly successful by winning the NL Central 3 out of the last 6 years...including winning a playoff series...not just one game....do not take this as gloating....clearly, Cubs fans want/expect a lot more.  The Brewers are the only team in MLB to have not won their division in the last 26 years.

1) After a season-long pissing match thread there was absolutely no need to come into the Cubs Playoff page to taunt and ridicule Cubs fans (who were clearly distraught enough on our own)....that was childish and is what fueled this last round of garbage.

2) I still don't understand the gloating over losing a first round playoff series 3-1 (never will)...yes, the Cubs got swept....if that makes you feel better about the Brewers post-season performance, so be it....but gloating about it to the fans of the team that finished 7.5 games in front of you and won the division is a little ridiculous.  Winning one game in the first round playoff series and not advancing (in any major sport) is really nothing to get overly excited about....advancing to the next round?  Now that's another thing.  I could see where it was exciting since it happened in Milwaukee (with your backs against the wall down 0-2)....which had not happened in 26 years...there could/should be some enjoyment from that...but to gloat about it?

It would be like if Marquette and DePaul both made the NCAA Tournament this coming season and both lost in the first round....with the DePaul fans taunting us because they at least led by 10 at halftime and we trailed the entire game. They could argue that they performed better.  They've won 1 NCAA game in 20 years whereas we've been to a Final Four, Sweet Sixteen and have won 8 NCAA tournament games in 8 appearances with a couple conference titles during that time while DePaul has zero conference titles and 4 NCAA appearances.  Sure, all MU fans would prefer a National Championship to our relatively modest NCAA success...but to hear it from them?

I agree that neither team has set the benchmark for postseason success....hopefully that'll change some day.  There's nothing wrong with having a little fun....but there's no room for taunting/ridiculing the other side for a painful, season ending loss caused by another team.

Alright fair enough, we can just have a difference of opinions.  Obviously with your supreme intelligence yours is correct, but that's not going to change mine.  Keep taking shots at my intelligence, maybe I'll change my opinoins.  I guess I find it alright because Cubs fans gloat about how much of a better team they are and yet they haven't done anything, and never do anything.  All year long all I've heard about is how bad the Brewers are compared to the Cubs and how unprofessional they are at the plate, but they did win a game in the playoffs, whereas the Cubs, professional approaches at the plate and all, failed to do so.  And their superior defense really paid off, with all 4 infielders having at least 1 error in Game 2.  So yes, the Cubs had more regular season success and won the division each of the last two years, but where did that get them?  Swept out of the playoffs in the first round both years.  So if you're embarrassed to have gone to the same school as people like me, then so be it.  I'm a terrible person for making fun of fans who have made fun of me my whole life.

Onto Marquette basketball for me
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2008, 10:44:36 AM »

The reason for Milwaukee glee is we are tired of a season long pissing contest about how much better the Cubs are, and how much better Chicago is.  In my case it has much more to do with your smug attitude than about the Cubs.

I was a Cub fan before there were the Brewers.  I was a Cub fan when the Brewers were in the AL.  

Santo, Kessinger, Beckert and Banks, the infield third to first ( remember that call from Vince and Lou)

Let's go, BatterUp, we're taking the afternoon off....It's a beautiful day for a ballgame.......(The song leading into WGN Cub broadcasts)  My point is, I bear no ill will toward the Cubs...it is the smugness of the NEW fans.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2008, 11:21:01 AM »
Onto Marquette basketball for me

I agree.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2008, 11:22:42 AM »
Wow, deja vu all over again.   I was a Cub fan until I arrived at MU in the autumn of 84 and met the hardcore.   I got so bleeping tired of listening to how the cubs were better than my Tigers, how Moreland was a better RF than Gibson, Bowa better than Trammel, Davis better than Parrish, etc., that I felt glee as the ball rolled through Durham's legs.    That feeling has never really left.   I had actually forgiven the cubs fans and were pulling for them until I saw how they handled Bartman.   Now, I feel their pain, but I just don't care.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2008, 11:40:54 AM »
The reason for Milwaukee glee is we are tired of a season long pissing contest about how much better the Cubs are, and how much better Chicago is.  In my case it has much more to do with your smug attitude than about the Cubs.

I was a Cub fan before there were the Brewers.  I was a Cub fan when the Brewers were in the AL.  

Santo, Kessinger, Beckert and Banks, the infield third to first ( remember that call from Vince and Lou)

Let's go, BatterUp, we're taking the afternoon off....It's a beautiful day for a ballgame.......(The song leading into WGN Cub broadcasts)  My point is, I bear no ill will toward the Cubs...it is the smugness of the NEW fans.

I appreciate the Vince Lloyd and Lou Boudreaux reference...nicely done.  With success comes bandwagon fans...good and bad.  Those who have not endured a lifetime of Cubs futility don't get it and talk trash....that's when it blows up in their face and it makes others happy.  For those of us who have generations of Cubs fans in their family and remember their first game at Wrigley...and their grandfathers remember their first games, etc....it's painful.  So, when there's someone taking explicit enjoyment out of their failures (and does so on a Cubs Playoff Thread), it strikes a chord.  I think there's an unwritten rule amongst rivals where there can be as much back and forth, trash-talking etc. between the fans and enjoyment when one team beats the other....that's what makes a rivalry healthy....but piling on, ridiculing and taunting after a tough, season-ending loss is unnecessary....especially when we all have to live together during MU basketball season.

FWIW, I was also a Brewers fan growing up and remember watcing the '82 WS hoping they'd beat the Cardinals who, at the time, were probably our biggest rival.  I also enjoyed the Brewers beating the White Sox anytime they played.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2008, 12:24:28 PM »
I appreciate the Vince Lloyd and Lou Boudreaux reference...nicely done.  With success comes bandwagon fans...good and bad.  Those who have not endured a lifetime of Cubs futility don't get it and talk trash....that's when it blows up in their face and it makes others happy.  For those of us who have generations of Cubs fans in their family and remember their first game at Wrigley...and their grandfathers remember their first games, etc....it's painful.  So, when there's someone taking explicit enjoyment out of their failures (and does so on a Cubs Playoff Thread), it strikes a chord.  I think there's an unwritten rule amongst rivals where there can be as much back and forth, trash-talking etc. between the fans and enjoyment when one team beats the other....that's what makes a rivalry healthy....but piling on, ridiculing and taunting after a tough, season-ending loss is unnecessary....especially when we all have to live together during MU basketball season.

FWIW, I was also a Brewers fan growing up and remember watcing the '82 WS hoping they'd beat the Cardinals who, at the time, were probably our biggest rival.  I also enjoyed the Brewers beating the White Sox anytime they played.

Translation: Boo Hoo.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2008, 12:37:05 PM »
Translation: Boo Hoo.

Another in a series of well thought out, articulate and classy posts from you.

Keep setting that bar low...."happy just sniffing the playoffs."  Definitely one of the funnier lines I've heard in a while...nice work.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 12:47:04 PM by MarquetteFan94 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2008, 02:22:47 PM »
Keep setting that bar low...."happy just sniffing the playoffs."  Definitely one of the funnier lines I've heard in a while...nice work.
Not really disagreeing, but when you haven't sniffed it in 26 years you have to start somewhere, so at this point I am just happy sniffing the playoffs.  If we sniff the playoffs for the next 2 years or whatever then maybe the bar will be raised, but this is the first time I've ever sniffed it, so yes I am satisfied.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2008, 03:03:59 PM »

this is bs, if most cubs fans (including you) didnt act like their sh*t didn't smell the few years they have actually been somewhat successful recently maybe so many other fan bases wouldn't rejoice when they eventually fall short in the postseason

as a cardinals fan first and foremost, i think it is really funny that there are so many cubs fans (not every one) that don't realize that the cubs are the second worst franchise in the nl central (of the teams currently in it) over the past 40 years, ahead of only the brewers

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2008, 03:35:41 PM »
this is bs, if most cubs fans (including you) didnt act like their sh*t didn't smell the few years they have actually been somewhat successful recently maybe so many other fan bases wouldn't rejoice when they eventually fall short in the postseason

as a cardinals fan first and foremost, i think it is really funny that there are so many cubs fans (not every one) that don't realize that the cubs are the second worst franchise in the nl central (of the teams currently in it) over the past 40 years, ahead of only the brewers

Johnny Come Lately, you need to relax.  Classy language.  I have NEVER acted like the Cubs were entitled to anything and have actually avoided any talk of postseason success during any regular season understanding exactly where we've come from.  I think the Cubs lack of postseason success has been pretty well chronicled. Why don't you read more than two posts before you draw a uneducated opinion and single me out?

As a Cardinals fan, nobody wants/cares to hear from you here anyway.  Jimmy Edmonds catching the third out to clinch the division against the Cards was classic....as it is to hear him compare playing for the Cubs vs. playing in St. Louis.

Have you ever been to Wrigley for a Cubs/Cards game when the Cards won?  If so, you are the last person/fan base that should ever say one word about another fan base's arrogance....or anything else you care to say about bodily excrement.

Enjoy that St. Louis sports scene this winter.

Go MU.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2008, 03:46:39 PM »
Johnny Come Lately, you need to relax.  Classy language.  I have NEVER acted like the Cubs were entitled to anything and have actually avoided any talk of postseason success during any regular season understanding exactly where we've come from.  I think the Cubs lack of postseason success has been pretty well chronicled. Why don't you read more than two posts before you draw a uneducated opinion and single me out?

As a Cardinals fan, nobody wants/cares to hear from you here anyway.  Jimmy Edmonds catching the third out to clinch the division against the Cards was classic....as it is to hear him compare playing for the Cubs vs. playing in St. Louis.

Have you ever been to Wrigley for a Cubs/Cards game when the Cards won?  If so, you are the last person/fan base that should ever say one word about another fan base's arrogance....or anything else you care to say about bodily excrement.

Enjoy that St. Louis sports scene this winter.

Go MU.
Classy language?  What are you 5?  I didn't make any personal insults.

Why don't you go back and read some of my posts in the brewers/cubs thread before you call me johnny come lately?

I singled you out because you are the only one crying that people are ripping on the Cubs fans after their flame-out in the playoffs.

I haven't heard any of Edmonds's comments about the differences between playing for the cards/cubs.  Did it have something to do with actually experiencing success in the postseason?

Yes, I have been at many cards/cubs, brewers/cubs, cards/brewers games and can say that arrogance/trash talk has gone both ways; although the cards fans are really the only ones that have any right to be arrogant.

I'm not from Stl, I only like the Cards because I was raised loving them by Grandpa and Dad; in all other sports I root for Wis teams (and the brewers to a lesser extent than the Cards).

I agree, GO MU!

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2008, 04:13:24 PM »
Classy language?  What are you 5?  I didn't make any personal insults.

Why don't you go back and read some of my posts in the brewers/cubs thread before you call me johnny come lately?

I singled you out because you are the only one crying that people are ripping on the Cubs fans after their flame-out in the playoffs.

I haven't heard any of Edmonds's comments about the differences between playing for the cards/cubs.  Did it have something to do with actually experiencing success in the postseason?

Yes, I have been at many cards/cubs, brewers/cubs, cards/brewers games and can say that arrogance/trash talk has gone both ways; although the cards fans are really the only ones that have any right to be arrogant.

I'm not from Stl, I only like the Cards because I was raised loving them by Grandpa and Dad; in all other sports I root for Wis teams (and the brewers to a lesser extent than the Cards).

I agree, GO MU!

Believe me, I was not insulted....deep breaths..... 

I'm sure you've made posts in the brewers/cubs thread throughout the season....it lasted for 6 months...we were finally done with this until you dipped your nose in. 

No, you singled me out as one of those many Cubs fans acting like our sh*t (there's your language hint) didn't smell.....you're way off....before pointing the finger you should know what the hell you're talking about.  There are pleny of Cards fans that act that way every, single season.

No, Edmonds' comments hand nothing to do with postseason success and everything to do with atmosphere and quality of life.

I didn't realize anyone has the right to be arrogant.  Interesting.

Time to focus on MU.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2008, 07:36:50 PM »
Honest question here.  Do you think the Brewers' players' actions this season against the Cardinals were as bad as Cardinals players and sportswriters made it sound?  Do you think some of it may have just been the fact that for the first time in quite a long time the Brewers were beating the Cardinals rather than being automatic wins for the Cardinals?

I just don't understand how Cardinals players, Pujols in particular, were talking about how the Brewers don't respect the game, yet they are the ones who are talking about how they don't like the Brewers players, and they are the ones who threw at Braun (and anybody who says that wasn't intentional is kidding themselves, they made it clear that they had the most problem with him and the pitcher didn't walk a single player that game, yet hit Braun in the back).

I understand that the Brewers watched their home runs for a bit too long during that one series, but to be fair there were 2 in a 3 game series that took the lead in the top of the 9th inning, so of course it was exciting.  I can understand being upset about the Brewers untucking the jerseys for the first time they do it and you don't know what it represents, but the Brewers have made it plenty clear throughout the year that it's a show of respect for Mike Cameron's dad, who came home from work after a long day and untucked his shirt first thing.

I don't understand why Pujols thinks he can tell people how to "respect the game," especially since he is one of the worst players at watching his home runs, he does it more than almost anyone and it doesn't matter the situation, the Cardinals could be down 5 in the 3rd and he could hit a solo home run and he would still watch it as if it won a game.  I also don't understand why he ran at Villanueva and started cussing him after Villanueva got out of a bases loaded, no out jam to keep the lead.  He was pumped up, as he should have been, and yeah he should've done it towards the Brewers dugout, but to run out from the on-deck circle was a little over the top.  Throwing your helmets down and bat toward the dugout while arguing with the umpire after being called out on strikes is a little "disrespectful to the game," as the Cardinals did a few times when facing the Brewers this year.

So I am just wondering, while the Brewers at times were a little arrogant, if you think it was really that bad or if maybe it was the fact that the Brewers were finally beating the Cardinals?

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2008, 08:07:06 PM »
I am tired from just trying to read this nonsense you guys are calling a thread now.  Honestly, how long will you guys beat this dead horse.... November? December?  Its over, lets all move on.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2008, 12:54:24 AM »
MarquetteFan94--not trying to single you out here, nor is it just my Brewers-fan blood getting the best of me, but nobody, and I mean NOBODY, feels sorry for the Cubs or their fans.

I will be the first to admit that I can't understand what it's like to be a fan of a team that hasn't won a championship in 100years, and has had some historic collapses/flame-outs in postseason play, but I will also be the first to declare that such misfortune/failure doesn't endear that team to those of us who aren't Cubs fans.

I have a lot of respect for actual Cubs fans, one of which you appear to be, as they've got more intestinal fortitude than any other group of sports fans. Respect, however, is not the same thing as sympathy/empathy.

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2008, 02:20:43 AM »
Where's the Cubs playoff discussion? Is this thread dead yet? The Superbar is usually entertaining but it seems like every single thread lately turns into some kind of inane fight.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2008, 08:09:59 AM »
Another in a series of well thought out, articulate and classy posts from you.

and it gets to you... which is why I do it.

now this is the part where you say that I am somehow the one that is worked up, and not classy as if hurling insults and typing up half of a page of text somehow makes you right, classy, articulate, or smarter!

how long will it take you to respond this time?  10 minutes?

dude, don't feed the trolls.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2008, 10:14:27 AM »

now this is the part where you say that I am somehow the one that is worked up, and not classy as if hurling insults and typing up half of a page of text somehow makes you right, classy, articulate, or smarter!

Let's not flatter ourselves.  The difference with you and the others (i.e. wadesworld) is that they actually offer some knowledge of the game supported by relevant statistics, player comparisons, etc.  There is no sport in continuing any 'dialogue' with you.

Sorry for the delayed response.

Go MU.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2008, 10:26:09 AM »
MarquetteFan94--not trying to single you out here, nor is it just my Brewers-fan blood getting the best of me, but nobody, and I mean NOBODY, feels sorry for the Cubs or their fans.

I will be the first to admit that I can't understand what it's like to be a fan of a team that hasn't won a championship in 100years, and has had some historic collapses/flame-outs in postseason play, but I will also be the first to declare that such misfortune/failure doesn't endear that team to those of us who aren't Cubs fans.

I have a lot of respect for actual Cubs fans, one of which you appear to be, as they've got more intestinal fortitude than any other group of sports fans. Respect, however, is not the same thing as sympathy/empathy.

I appreciate what you're saying.  To an extent, you've helped with my original point....which is what frustrated me to begin with....in no way whatsoever would I (or any other true Cubs fan) ever expect sympathy from another fan base...it doesn't work that way....it was about respect...especially since we're all MU fans in this forum.  You're right, unless you're an avid, diehard Cubs fan (as I've been my entire life) you have no idea what it's like going through all these letdowns....to have it unnecessarily rubbed in your face by fans of the team that finished behind you in the division is what broke the camel's back in this case....going back, sure, I woud've preferred to not let my emotions get the best of me but it at the same time it was provoked.  Anyway, again, appreciate what you're saying....time to move on.

Go MU.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2008, 07:55:29 AM »
Let's not flatter ourselves.  The difference with you and the others (i.e. wadesworld) is that they actually offer some knowledge of the game supported by relevant statistics, player comparisons, etc.  There is no sport in continuing any 'dialogue' with you.

Sorry for the delayed response.

Go MU.

lol, you've really got yourself convinced man.  What is your next argument?  Oh, I know, it must be that "everyone" agrees with you and that I am the outsider.

I'm not really sure your argument pertaining to statistics, or player comparisons really holds any water since 90% of this thread is mucked up with OPINIONS... Including yours.  I have not brought up statistics because they are irrelevant... well other than the Cubs haven't won a championship in 100 years.

Keep claiming to take the high road, then drop an insult... its very convincing that you are the genius on this board... this pissing match, if you will.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2008, 10:30:49 AM »
you are the genius on this board...

Finally, something sensible from you.  Hard to argue that one. :)

Are you mad?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2008, 07:48:42 AM »

I must be Nostradamus.

feedback