* Recent Posts

Incoming freshmen by Jockey
[Today at 01:55:28 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by cheebs09
[Today at 01:32:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 08:27:08 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cable or Satellite?  (Read 7740 times)

Jumping Jesuit

• Walk-On
Cable or Satellite?
« on: August 08, 2008, 08:21:46 PM »
My family and I are moving (to a suburb of Milwaukee), and I was wondering whether I should get the AT&T phone, tv, internet bundle or go with Time Warner Cable.  I have basic cable now, but I like the fact that AT&T lets me get ESPN 360--for college hoops and Euro soccer.  Everyone seems to have an opinion on this.  I would welcome any thoughts/suggestions.

IAmMarquette

• All American
Re: Cable or Satellite?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 08:26:37 PM »
My family and I are moving (to a suburb of Milwaukee), and I was wondering whether I should get the AT&T phone, tv, internet bundle or go with Time Warner Cable.  I have basic cable now, but I like the fact that AT&T lets me get ESPN 360--for college hoops and Euro soccer.  Everyone seems to have an opinion on this.  I would welcome any thoughts/suggestions.

I'm sold right there. I live in Chicago. I've got RCN, and the only thing that keeps me from switching to Comcast (aside from saving about $30/month) is the fact that RCN carries 360, whereas Comcast does not.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 08:38:43 PM »

I'm sold right there. I live in Chicago. I've got RCN, and the only thing that keeps me from switching to Comcast (aside from saving about $30/month) is the fact that RCN carries 360, whereas Comcast does not.
I have comcast in Chicago and I'm not the biggest fan.  I have the MLB package and it cuts out all the time, as does my hd quite often.  I'm switching to DirectTV once I move, I've heard its the best from just about everyone that has it (I'm sure Chicos agrees :) ).

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 09:51:07 PM »
Great question JJ, as I've been trying to figure out the same thing recently since I am moving to the east coast.  I have the choice of Comcast or Verizon.  I've heard some pretty terrible things about Comcast (see: Consumerist.com), but also know absolutely nothing about Verizon.  I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions about both companies, especially anyone on the east coast.

Chicos, is it correct that I can get Direct TV through Verizon?  If so, can you provide anymore info. about it and is that a possibility in an apartment complex.  I'm just trying to get some insight as I'm already a slight bit overwhelmed about all I have to do before this move.

Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone who answers.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 02:54:29 AM »
I have comcast in Chicago and I'm not the biggest fan.  I have the MLB package and it cuts out all the time, as does my hd quite often.  I'm switching to DirectTV once I move, I've heard its the best from just about everyone that has it (I'm sure Chicos agrees :) ).

Plus our version of the MLB package includes dual feeds....meaning almost every game is on twice, one with the home feed and one with the road feed so you can follow your favorite team with your favorite announcers. Cable doesn't do that.

Just remember, before you guys switch I can help you with the new customer employee offers.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 02:57:37 AM »
Great question JJ, as I've been trying to figure out the same thing recently since I am moving to the east coast.  I have the choice of Comcast or Verizon.  I've heard some pretty terrible things about Comcast (see: Consumerist.com), but also know absolutely nothing about Verizon.  I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions about both companies, especially anyone on the east coast.

Chicos, is it correct that I can get Direct TV through Verizon?  If so, can you provide anymore info. about it and is that a possibility in an apartment complex.  I'm just trying to get some insight as I'm already a slight bit overwhelmed about all I have to do before this move.

Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone who answers.

Yes, you can get DIRECTV through Verizon, Qwest and a few other Telcos.   Verizon's FIOS service is also very very good, though they still haven't cut all the deals they would like to on the HD front.  As for the apartment complex situation, that's a tough one.  Some apartments are classified as MDU (multi dwelling units) and have deals with cable or satellite companies where they cover the entire building.  Others have deals, but let you put a dish on the balcony, etc.  You should find out first what the options are for you.

We will get to 130 HD channels next Thursday, the most in the country by a mile.

So far, so good.  Great earnings report yesterday to Wall Street.  Our satellite competitor, meanwhile, reported on Sunday that they lost subscribers for the first time in their history.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 10:24:47 AM »
I have Verizon FIOS internet and TV (no phone as I only use cell phones - but that is, funny enough, through verizon wireless).

I've had the internet service for around 2.5 years and the tv service for about a year.  It is, hands down, the BEST I have ever had (and I've had many services in my life for both: comcast, time warner, charter, etc.).  My only negative about FIOS is their DVR sucks big time... but that could be me spoiled by Tivo.  So now I have a Tivo HD with two cablecards plugged in - works like a charm.

HOWEVER... Verizon the company is, hands down, the worst company I've had to deal with when it comes to customer service.  Get everything right on the initial account setup so you never need to contact them again and you're fine.  When I cancelled the DVR in favor of a regular set top box (cablecards cannot get on demand programming, PPV, or some packages like full court) I got transferred endlessly.  Part of that is that this company is a phone company struggling to integrate the FIOS services completely into itself.  Now that things are stable and I need nothing from them other than the services I am fine.

I've NEVER have had an internet or video outage that I am aware of on FIOS (and that is incredible compared to my experience with every other provider).  Their DHCP, gateway, and DNS servers have got to be all pushing 99.999% availability (comcast's servers alternatively failed leaving you dead in the water for at least 2 hours per day of an average 8 hour awake and at home day).
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 11:41:49 AM »
Yes, we've heard that about the FIOS DVR as well from Verizon.  Their "pipe" though is really strong as it's all fiber optic and can deliver a lot of data (video, etc).

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 12:06:41 PM »
yeah.. it's the same DVR software as what comcast used to offer I believe (same set top boxes from motorola too).  I keep hoping they'll follow comcast's route of paying tivo to put their software on the units.. even then, I already have a tivo HD so probably wouldn't change.. but it would make me feel good about an upgrade path in say 3-4 years or so.  Course by then maybe media center pc will get the limitations worked out of it.

I realize I forgot to mention that I have never had satellite service.. my parents have DIRECTV and are for the most part happy with it.  Not sure I can really compare FIOS to DIRECTV though other than the fact that I cannot get the NFL Direct package on FIOS :(  Then again I got all but like 2 packer games last year anyhow and my parents only live 20 minutes away for the other two games  :D
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 11:30:25 AM »
I live in a suburb of Milwaukee as well, and have been contemplating the same question.

The thing that's keeping me from switching to AT&T at this point is that I have quite a few TVs.  Every TV will require a cable box, which AT&T will rent to you for $5 a month.  For the time being, I'm sticking with Time Warner (even though I hate them).

Other things that I'm waiting for before I make the switch to AT&T UVerse:
- A DVR with multiple HD tuners:  I need to be able to watch a show in HD and record another one.  Without this functionality my DVR isn't as desireable.
- They keep saying that they're close to having every box in your house able to use the DVR on the primary box (watch recorded shows from every room).  Until they have this available in my area, the $5 a month per room I have a TV isn't worth it.
- A neighbor of my buddies works as an installer for AT&T.  He doesn't have UVerse even though they're selling it in his area.  His reasoning is that they're trying to sell him garbage.  You need to be less than 2k feet from the hub for the signal strength to not deteriorate.  AT&T is selling their service to customers well outside that 2k feet.  This is one of the most important things to be aware of.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 11:00:22 AM »
Tivo and Directv back together again.  This is great news.  When will I be able to buy one Chicos?

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 11:33:22 AM »
TWC milwaukee sucks horribly  Do not get it!

LON

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 12:14:16 PM »
TWC milwaukee sucks horribly  Do not get it!

Although I'd tend to agree, the friend that I rent from just signed his house up for TWC...we are getting 200 channels including Big 11 Network and Showtime and HBO along with the high speed internet for under 100 bucks a month.  Also including two HD DVR's with it as well at no charge.

They are improving it seems.

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 12:28:31 PM »
Although I'd tend to agree, the friend that I rent from just signed his house up for TWC...we are getting 200 channels including Big 11 Network and Showtime and HBO along with the high speed internet for under 100 bucks a month.  Also including two HD DVR's with it as well at no charge.

They are improving it seems.

just wait and see.  I am paying $16 a month for my dvr and box rental.  It sucks especially while you still live at marquette where i get free cable.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 03:34:42 PM »
Tivo and Directv back together again.  This is great news.  When will I be able to buy one Chicos?

Not until 2009.  I used to manage the relationship here for a number of years....this is exciting news, though all my buds at Tivo are gone now so it's a whole new regime over there.  Should be interesting to see how all of this is done because interactivity is key, and that was something that was not part of the old TiVo software.  It will be now...I think.   :D

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 03:40:19 PM »
Interesting.. been thinking this would happen since News corp sold DTV.. could be enough to make me finally switch to DTV in a couple of years when my tivo hd becomes "outdated".  Question is, will DTV keep their rolled out SW up to date with what tivo itself rolls out (i.e. will I get all the features tivo offers and continue to get tivo updates to stay up to date as I do now with my tivo box)?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 03:59:14 PM »
Interesting.. been thinking this would happen since News corp sold DTV.. could be enough to make me finally switch to DTV in a couple of years when my tivo hd becomes "outdated".  Question is, will DTV keep their rolled out SW up to date with what tivo itself rolls out (i.e. will I get all the features tivo offers and continue to get tivo updates to stay up to date as I do now with my tivo box)?

Yeah, our guys are updating software all the time.  They'll definitely keep it up to date.  On the TiVo front, they did a good job of doing the same.  We roll out software releases through the dish so they come down via data and into the box, usually around 2:00am or so while the customer is sleeping.  The software is installed, the box reboots and when customers wake up they're updated (usually not even knowing they were updated with newer software).

augoman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 10:21:37 PM »
had directv for a few years, now have twc- switched to get roadrunner and cable at reasonable rate..., price increase every year "when the 'special' expires", o/wise, okay.  Got to watch the 2000 NWestern wildcats kick the baajrs asses in double o/t last night on the 'big ten network'.  Especially sweet as UW ranked #6 at time and was in Madison.  If they reshow all the NW-kicking-UW's-ass football games, I guess the network isn't too bad, but would run out of material sooner rather than later.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 07:26:41 AM »
I have had DTV for 13 years and have been extremely satisifed with the service. Have the MLB and NFL packages in HD and its worth the money.

Last year I upgraded to the new HR-21 receiver and five LNB dish (free upgrade), but had to give up the TIVO functions that was with the old unit.  I was actually concerned since I had to learn a new remote control, you know, controlling it in the dark, without putting glasses on, etc. The new unit's DVR works almost identical to the functions of TIVO and I don't know what the differences are.  Just as long as season passes work.

Chicos, you mentioned next Thursday that DTV will be up to 130 HD stations.  What new channels are coming?

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 08:33:43 AM »
Just remember, before you guys switch I can help you with the new customer employee offers.

I can personally vouch for the effectiveness of Chicos' advocacy of an installation or upgrade.....he got my family set up after our recent move with all the new equipment, and the install was smooth.    And now with the new onDemand stuff, the service should get better.  I just need to get cat-5 into my HD box. 

NYWarrior - a satisfied Directv customer for 8 yrs.      :o

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 11:28:05 AM »
I have had DTV for 13 years and have been extremely satisifed with the service. Have the MLB and NFL packages in HD and its worth the money.

Last year I upgraded to the new HR-21 receiver and five LNB dish (free upgrade), but had to give up the TIVO functions that was with the old unit.  I was actually concerned since I had to learn a new remote control, you know, controlling it in the dark, without putting glasses on, etc. The new unit's DVR works almost identical to the functions of TIVO and I don't know what the differences are.  Just as long as season passes work.

Chicos, you mentioned next Thursday that DTV will be up to 130 HD stations.  What new channels are coming?

It's a numbers game.  We're at 130 HD channels today, except that many are being used as Pay Per View movie HD channels while we continue to negotiate with programmers.  As we finalize negotiations, we'll pull down the PPV HD and transition those to the national channel.  So right now I believe it's 99 national HD channels and 31 PPV HD channels. 

We're still in negotiations with HBO (we have 2 HBO HD channels but could carry as many as 8 more if we can get a deal done).  The others I can't comment on but not hard to figure out what's coming...say for instance you wanted to "travel" to a destination or perhaps "U" would like to see more ESPN.   ;)

nyg

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 11:32:47 AM »
I understand, thanks.  Can't wait for the Sunday games. 

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 12:34:23 PM »
Time Warner's a mixed bag.  They seem much better with general customer relations than my previous experiences with Charter Cable, and service uptime has been very high.  On the other hand, they spent something like 2-3 years negotiating with ESPN before adding ESPN2HD to the lineup, and other channel negotiations seem slow as well (USA HD was recently added temporarily for the Olympics, which only aired for like 4 hours total on USA, then yanked immediately afterwards).  The HD and DVR boxes are pretty crappy as well - if I try and look more than a day ahead in the guide, my HD box crashes and reboots half the time - but generally get the job done.

Overall, I'm not dissatisfied with TWC, but not exactly a fiercely loyal customer either.  If they have the channels you want and you can swallow the price, it's not a bad service.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 02:21:13 PM »
Got ESPNU HD added to my channel lineup on my FiOS service a week or so ago.. what a pleasant surprise!  8-)

feedback