collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:36:17 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Favre to the Jets Thoughts  (Read 8521 times)

reinko

• All American
Favre to the Jets Thoughts
« on: August 07, 2008, 07:52:42 AM »
In full disclosure, I supported the Pack in every decision they made over the past few months.  I thought they chose their guy in Rodgers, stuck by him, and acted professionally.  I also believed that Favre acted like a little girl and media whore throughout this whole scene.

All that being said, the Jets are now my second favorite team in the NFL, and I think most Packer fans wish him all the best.  Out here in NE Patriot land, nothing would make me happier for Favre to rip them up.  So I will now go get me a Favre Jets t-shirt and cheer him on for the year.

Go Pack!

Go J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!

jmayer1

• All American
Re: Favre to the Jets Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 08:23:59 AM »
In full disclosure, I supported the Pack in every decision they made over the past few months.  I thought they chose their guy in Rodgers, stuck by him, and acted professionally.  I also believed that Favre acted like a little girl and media whore throughout this whole scene.

All that being said, the Jets are now my second favorite team in the NFL, and I think most Packer fans wish him all the best.  Out here in NE Patriot land, nothing would make me happier for Favre to rip them up.  So I will now go get me a Favre Jets t-shirt and cheer him on for the year.

Go Pack!

Just as so many others have (Unitas on the Rams, Montana on the Chiefs, Jordan on the Bulls...etc) Favre has went to another team few will remember him being on in 10-15 years.  It is much more likely Favre has another year like '05 & '06 and the Jets go 6-10 than it is Favre will be as good as he was in '07 and the Jets seriously contend in the AFC.  Favre went from a top 3 NFC team (Giants, Cowboys) to a team that basically has no chance to crack the top 3 (Pats, Colts, Bolts).  I am a huge Favre fan and always will be but he looked like an immature brat during this whole thing.  No one person (Hutson, Lombardi, Starr, Nitschke, Hornung, Taylor, Sharpe..etc) has been bigger than the Packers franchise and #4 is not going to change that.

GO PACK GO!!!!!!!!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 08:35:42 AM »
The media will rip him apart in New York.  They are already ripping Eli this season and he just won the Superbowl.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 09:03:37 AM »
Should be an interesting year both in New York and in Green Bay. From what I've heard, Favre was told it's either the Jets or you stay retired. The Packers never had any intention of trading him to Tampa. Goes without saying, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Favre retire after this year. If that happened, Green Bay would owe the Jets a 5th rounder in '10.

I'm a Bears fan, but I feel bad for Aaron Rodgers. The guy is in a no win situation, even after this saga is over. He's said the right things and seems to have handled himself well throughout all this, but he can not ask for a worse way to start off the season. Biggest rival, at home, in primetime. The first interception he throws or fumble or sack, he's going to most likely hear it from the crowd. I think if they'd have started at Tennessee or some place like that, it would have given him a chance to get acclimated.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 10:13:16 AM »
From what I've heard, Favre was told it's either the Jets or you stay retired. The Packers never had any intention of trading him to Tampa.
Mike and mike reported it came down to the wire with TB and NY. Supposedly the Jets talked to Bus Cook and told him they were ready for a deal and Favre urged Cook to work something out with TB but they couldn't get it ironed out before the Jets deal went through. I don't get why the Packers would be so opposed to the Bucs organization. I can understand if the $, players, or draft picks weren't in order then the Packers would be in a position to say sorry this doesn't satisfy us...but to just say its Jets or no one, I don't get that (especially since we're talking about tampa here, not an NFC north team).

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 10:22:36 AM »
Mike and mike reported it came down to the wire with TB and NY. Supposedly the Jets talked to Bus Cook and told him they were ready for a deal and Favre urged Cook to work something out with TB but they couldn't get it ironed out before the Jets deal went through. I don't get why the Packers would be so opposed to the Bucs organization. I can understand if the $, players, or draft picks weren't in order then the Packers would be in a position to say sorry this doesn't satisfy us...but to just say its Jets or no one, I don't get that (especially since we're talking about tampa here, not an NFC north team).

Basically everyone is reporting the Jets offered a better conditional draft pick than the Bucs did.  The Bucs were leery of giving up either a first or second round draft pick regardless of conditions.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 10:31:39 AM »

Go Pack!

In the long run, I think it makes the Packers a better team.  You can't let a player dictate terms, no matter how great he was last year or 10 years ago.  The Packers will be fine.

I've always like Brett personally (he filmed some spots for us), he was a great QB but I was glad he wasn't my QB for my team.  He would have killed me with all of his silly plays.  His great plays were great, his silly plays made me always wonder why he didn't mature in his decision making.

I understand how Packers fans feel, it's happened to plenty of my teams.  You hate to see guys go....whether it's Aikman, Irvin, Emmitt....end of an era is brutal.  But the Pack got something of value for him and they have a good young team.  They may take a slight step back this year but in the long run probably the best move.  I don't think the Pack was going to the Super Bowl with Favre so why not go in the direction they're going. 

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 10:49:10 AM »
Is anyone else pumped that in a few days the first 25 minutes of Sportscenter won't be all about Brett Favre?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 10:59:07 AM »
b-b-b-bretty and the jets.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 11:28:39 AM »
There are reports that if the Jets turn around and trade Favre to the Vikings, the Jets would owe Green Bay three 1st round draft picks.

Note:  I am a Bears fan living in Viking land.

J-E-T-S....Just End The Season.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 11:44:24 AM by SaintPaulWarrior »

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 11:33:34 AM »
The Pack still has the best qb in the division!!!!   :D

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 12:04:51 PM »
The Pack still has the best qb in the division!!!!   :D

Q. What's the difference between Aaron Rodgers and a dollar bill?
A. You can get four quarters out of a dollar bill!

Hey Hey!  Hey don't shoot the messenger.  I got it from Milwaukee sports radio.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 12:11:44 PM »
The Pack also now have the only starting qb in the division to never start an NFL game.

Also, can't rule out Favre on the Vikings in '09. I'll go on record as saying I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this happens.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 12:17:43 PM by MUDish »

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 12:44:07 PM »
Q. What's the difference between Aaron Rodgers and a dollar bill?
A. You can get four quarters out of a dollar bill!

Hey Hey!  Hey don't shoot the messenger.  I got it from Milwaukee sports radio.

I have to admit, that's a pretty good one

chapman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 12:51:12 PM »
I think the Brewers' AA affiliate had a better offer.  Not sure why the Packers didn't accept that one.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080731&content_id=440011&vkey=news_t559&fext=.jsp&sid=t559

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 12:55:40 PM »
The Pack also now have the only starting qb in the division to never start an NFL game.

Also, can't rule out Favre on the Vikings in '09. I'll go on record as saying I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this happens.

I guess I would rather have one that hasn't shown he can't play consistenly at a high level that ones who have shown that  ;D

Dish, is the clause that the Jets can't trade Favre or they owe the Pack some first rounders only for this year?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 01:00:42 PM »
I doubt that the Jets would trade Favre to the Vikings and forfeit 3 first round draft choices.  Would be a great deal for us, though if they did.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 01:02:57 PM »
At one point Favre was also the only QB in the division to not have started a game and that worked out pretty well, don't you think?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 01:08:54 PM »
The Jets don't have to trade Favre for him to get to the Vikings. There's some belief going around that behind the scenes, Favre agreed to go to the Jets on one condition. If at the end of the '08 season, he's not happy in New Jersey, he will be granted his unconditional release and free to play where ever he wants in '09.

It wouldn't cost the Jets any picks to release Favre and have him wind up in Minnesota (or elsewhere).

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 02:24:27 PM »
Why worry aboout 40 year old quarterback at that point? Brett will have shot his load long before that happens. "Once you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way."
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 02:36:45 PM »
I'm telling you.  The media and fans there are going to rip him apart. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 02:50:36 PM »
I'm a Bears fan, but I feel bad for Aaron Rodgers. The guy is in a no win situation, even after this saga is over. He's said the right things and seems to have handled himself well throughout all this, but he can not ask for a worse way to start off the season. Biggest rival, at home, in primetime. The first interception he throws or fumble or sack, he's going to most likely hear it from the crowd. I think if they'd have started at Tennessee or some place like that, it would have given him a chance to get acclimated.
There's no need to worry about that, he's not throwing an interception, or fumbling the ball...touchdown every play he touches the ball.  In all honesty, I don't think it'll be THAT big of a step back.  Favre was awesome last year no doubt and Rodgers won't be as good as he was last year, but we saw at Dallas that he has the ability to play quarterback at a high level.  He was almost the #1 draft pick overall as well.  The system he is in is great for him...short quick passes that aren't of high risk.  His supporting cast is outstanding.  Whether it was Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers starting this year for the Packers, I think the Packers make the playoffs (and win the division) but don't win the Superbowl.

I think in the future that Bryan Brohm will be the best quarterback in this division.  He, too, was once being talked about as the #1 overall pick in the NLF draft (before he got injured, after his freshman season).  I'm excited about his future (obviously he won't see much time this year unless Rogers gets hurt).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 04:15:17 PM »
I predict Favre will have A LOT to think about after his first concussion.
SS Marquette

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 04:19:28 PM »
Favre has broke another record. Well, his jersey did. 3200+ jerseys have been sold soo far. that is the single day record and single day, single player record.

Favre's Packers jersey is the best selling jersey of all time. Posing the question, will his jets jersey one day overcome his packers jersey? Probably not but you'll never know.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

oshkoshbgosh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 11:08:21 AM »
What's the over-under on Favre's next retirement announcement? I take Sept. 6.