collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cuban Leading Pack of Cubs Bidders  (Read 25460 times)

reinko

• All American
Re: Cuban Leading Pack of Cubs Bidders
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 03:46:21 PM »
Pretty sure the Zen Master, Da Pip, a few lankey white dudes, a man with the ugliest jump shot known to man, and a massive no call against the Jazz had something to do with it too

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 03:59:04 PM »
Only a Wisconsin person could crap on the basketball skills of MJ.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: From a Wrigley offspring
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2008, 08:58:48 PM »
Pretty sure Jordan won six of those.  Easy on the Reinsdorf man-love.

Who drafted Jordan?  Who kept him in Chicago for 13 seasons?  Who put the team around him after year seven to allow him to win?  Who let Jordan play for his minor league team?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 09:02:41 PM »
You can't deny though that Cuban does everything in his power to put a winner on the field.

By giving the players everything in their lockers and everything they could want it shows the players have no excuses for not winning. 

If Cuban's teams don't win it because of the players, not the owner.

Fact is Cuban's team do lose.  He has zero championships. 
If Reinsdrof announced he would sell the White Sox in order to buy the Cubs, I'll bet you'll still want Cuban.

Everyone loves the cartoon characters, even if they accomplish nothing.

(P.S. Please tell me you don't actually believe professional athletes that make nearly $100 million do better because the owner put a really cool TV in their locker.)

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2008, 11:30:45 AM »
Would you rather have Mark Attanasio or Mark Cuban?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2008, 11:59:34 AM »

(P.S. Please tell me you don't actually believe professional athletes that make nearly $100 million do better because the owner put a really cool TV in their locker.)

So our athletes can go back to the Old Gym then right? We don't need the Al at all.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2008, 12:12:22 PM »
So our athletes can go back to the Old Gym then right? We don't need the Al at all.

Excellent analogy.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2008, 12:58:07 PM »
Would you rather have Mark Attanasio or Mark Cuban?

Attanasio: Super rich, fan friendly, avoids the spotlight, lets GMs and coaches do their jobs, 0 championships

Cuban: Super rich, fan friendly, loves the spotlight, has history of interfering with coaches and GMs, 0 championships

I guess Cuban is a love or hate him kind of guy.  A lot of new owners will pour millions of dollars into a team and try to create excitement throughout the city.  Thing is about the Cubs, is they already have one of the biggest payrolls in baseball, and probably the largest fan base in the country, maybe only second to the Yankees.

So I guess my question is, what do you expect to change if Cuban comes on board?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2008, 01:05:16 PM »

So I guess my question is, what do you expect to change if Cuban comes on board?

A decent owner. Jim Hendry's demise. Wrigley upgraded and preserved.

7th in payroll... we can do better...

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2008, 01:28:32 PM »
Jim Hendry's demise.

I'm fine with Jim Hendry. 

• He picked up a seemingly worthless Jim Edmonds for a prorated amount of the league minimum.
  • He signed Reed Johnson right after his release.
  • He negoiated with Ted Lilly while having a heart procedure done.
  • He bolstered the bullpen last season by signing Howry and Eyre (both studs last year).
  • I realize the Nomar trade didn't work out for the Cubs in the long run but who didn't love his signing at the time.  We gave up nothing and got Matt Murton thrown in as well.
  • In 2003 he picked up Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton in a Pittsburgh money dump for Bobby Hill and Jose Hernandez
  • Etc.

EDIT:
  • Plus in addition to Rich Harden he was able to get a good reliver in Chad Goudan without giving up too much
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 01:33:43 PM by TallTitan34 »

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2008, 01:59:27 PM »

I hope nothing changes except the winning of a World Series and some upgraded grandstands at Wrigley Field. 

Until recently when they realized they were spending the next owners money the Tribune never put out the money for players.  They now are putting out the money and they are winning because of it.  I don't want this to change which it wouldn't with Cuban.

If Bud Seligs' boy Cannings wins you can fully expect a lower payroll.  Bud doesn't like teams like the Yanks, BoSox, Cubs, Mets, etc spending money all over the place.

Cuban has said he understands the history of Wrigley Field and I believe whatever comes of the stadium he will be sure to preserve everything that makes Wrigley, Wrigley.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2008, 02:25:45 PM »

• He picked up a seemingly worthless Jim Edmonds for a prorated amount of the league minimum.
  • He signed Reed Johnson right after his release.
  • He negoiated with Ted Lilly while having a heart procedure done.
  • He bolstered the bullpen last season by signing Howry and Eyre (both studs last year).
  • I realize the Nomar trade didn't work out for the Cubs in the long run but who didn't love his signing at the time.  We gave up nothing and got Matt Murton thrown in as well.
  • In 2003 he picked up Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton in a Pittsburgh money dump for Bobby Hill and Jose Hernandez
  • Etc.

EDIT:
  • Plus in addition to Rich Harden he was able to get a good reliver in Chad Goudan without giving up too much

+1
he also found marmol & samzga.  We are the best team in baseball and our payroll is 20 mill behind the tigers (no point in comparing to the yankee's.)

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2008, 02:29:57 PM »
Quick aside- I was looking at the post titles, reading fast, and this definitely jumped out to me as "Cubillan Leading Pack of Cubs Bidders"

Now THAT would be something!

tdm2410

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2008, 02:38:14 PM »
has nothin to do with the cubs but thought I'd point it out since it was mentioned that the Tigers payroll is 20 mil higher... the Tigers added more to their payroll today and signed Freddy Garcia today

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2008, 03:21:09 PM »
We are the best team in baseball and our payroll is 20 mill behind the tigers (no point in comparing to the yankee's.)

One of the best teams in baseball, tough to say the best until the end of the year. 

I don't know why anybody would think having Cuban as an owner could be anything but a good thing for the Cubs.  An owner can only do so much, the rest is up to the GM, coach, and players.  Cuban has obviously shown he will do whatever he can to win, as illustrated by trading for Kidd last year even though it cost them a ton of money (obviously that was a bad trade, but I would put that more on the GM than the owner).  You know he is going to spend the dollars and keep excitement in the franchise, you can't ask for much more from an owner.  All this is coming from a Cards/Brewers fan as well.  If I had it my way Bud Selig would have become an owner again!!!

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2008, 03:34:52 PM »
If I had it my way Bud Selig would have become an owner again!!!

I agree with everything you said except Bud Selig would be against spending the dollars.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2008, 03:38:22 PM »
I agree with everything you said except Bud Selig would be against spending the dollars.

I know thats why I want him as the owner of the cubs  ;D

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2008, 03:56:48 PM »
Haha gotcha

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2008, 06:50:16 PM »

Plus in addition to Rich Harden he was able to get a good reliver in Chad Goudan without giving up too much[/li][/list]

Be careful here, Billy Beane repeatedly picks GM pockets in trades.  At any moment Harden can (and probably will) go on the DL list and this trade is a disaster.  Goudan is worthless, dime a dozen reliver.  Remember how great Eyre was last year, where is he now?

Let's revisit this statement in 12 months.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
    « Reply #44 on: August 13, 2008, 06:56:37 PM »
    Quote from: marqptm on August 12, 2008, 11:59:34 AM

Excellent analogy.

I disagree.  Cuban took an excellent facility to start with and added flat screen TV and big leather chairs.  He tehn tried to say that this accounted for more wins than the coach drawing up Xs and Os.

Old Gym to AL is night and day.  Dallas' old facility to Cuban's TVs was noon to 12:30.

gjreda

• Team Captain
    • I miss Real Chili.
    « Reply #45 on: August 13, 2008, 07:01:12 PM »
      Be careful here, Billy Beane repeatedly picks GM pockets in trades.  At any moment Harden can (and probably will) go on the DL list and this trade is a disaster.  Goudan is worthless, dime a dozen reliver.  Remember how great Eyre was last year, where is he now?

Let's revisit this statement in 12 months.
    Whether he picks pockets or not, none of those players, except for Gallagher, had any future with the Cubs.  I think Gallagher will be good, but not an ace in any sense of the word.  Right now though, when you can get an ace and it looks like you are going to be in contention for the World Series, you do it.[/list]

Tugg Speedman

• All American
    « Reply #46 on: August 13, 2008, 07:02:57 PM »
    Let's be honest here.  Cuban knows no more about running a baseball team than any drunk in the bleachers.  Yet, he will drive Hendry or whoever is the GM out by taking over his job (think Al Davis, how are the Raiders doing these days?).  He will drive Lou way just like the meddlesome owners of the Rays drove him away a few years ago.

Question is, can Cuban spent money to keep Lou and a top GM and then STAY OUT OF THE WAY?  I say yes to the first part and no to the second part.  

This is why Cubs fan will grow to hate him, they when they realize he's a young guy in decent shape and will own the team for 40 years, they will absoutely despise him.
    « Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 07:04:57 PM by AnotherMU84 »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
    • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
    « Reply #47 on: August 13, 2008, 08:41:06 PM »
    Quick aside- I was looking at the post titles, reading fast, and this definitely jumped out to me as "Cubillan Leading Pack of Cubs Bidders"

Now THAT would be something!

that would probably free up a scholarship for 09 for us.   ;D

Jim hendry is one of the best gm's in baseball.

🏀

• All American
    « Reply #48 on: August 14, 2008, 08:23:09 AM »
    84, please feel free to look up Gaudin's career stats.

Also, that is a great analogy. Cuban will invest money into Wrigley making it even more attractive to free agents.

TallTitan34

• All American
      • Marquette Overload
    « Reply #49 on: August 14, 2008, 09:26:51 AM »
    I disagree.  Cuban took an excellent facility to start with and added flat screen TV and big leather chairs.  He tehn tried to say that this accounted for more wins than the coach drawing up Xs and Os.

Old Gym to AL is night and day.  Dallas' old facility to Cuban's TVs was noon to 12:30.

Think of it like this.  Say Big Papi is a free agent someday.  Knowing full well that Mark Cuban is the owner of the Cubs and the way he treats his players, he is going to take a real good look at the Cubs?

Jamil Wilson is chosing a college.  Is he going to be more likely to take a hard look at Marquette with it's top notch facilities or a school that practices in the old gym.

I still think it's a great analogy.