[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Crean just got a 2 year extension....10 years now  (Read 5553 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

tower912

• All American
Re: Crean just got a 2 year extension....10 years now
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 01:36:45 PM »
Yawn.   Maybe by then he will have recruited an effective big guy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 01:45:35 PM »

I thought it was interesting considering how many of our fans think he's going to be out on the streets in 4 years....they're going to give him a decade to prove himself without him having coached one year.  More importantly, he'll clean up a program that is in total shambles right now.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 01:49:12 PM »

"With the reduction of scholarships already in place the potential of a postseason ban creates even more recruiting hurdles."

That sucks.

I also found it very interesting that IU extended his contract (the most for any coach in IU's history) without him having done a single thing yet...man, I hope for IU's sake that Crean doesn't pull a Crean.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 02:06:44 PM »
I wonder if the buy-outs and incentives changed as a result?
SS Marquette

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 02:15:22 PM »
I thought it was interesting considering how many of our fans think he's going to be out on the streets in 4 years....they're going to give him a decade to prove himself without him having coached one year.

I agree ... IU is going to give Crean time, but he is going to need it. He has to rebuild the program from the ground-up, a tough task. TC is probably three years away from even thinking about getting back to NCAAs. Question is how long will IU fans wait for success and do they understand the depths that the program sank and how difficult the road to recovery will be.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 02:17:48 PM »
He'll bolt if the University of Phoenix offers more scratch. IU administrators are dumber than Marquette's.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 02:19:32 PM »
Wow.  That's really amazing.  Crean probably realized he had IU by the short and curlies, extorted a new contract.   Probably realized it will take many more years to build the program back up, demanded more time before he's run out of town.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 04:14:23 PM »
Wow.  That's really amazing.  Crean probably realized he had IU by the short and curlies, extorted a new contract.   Probably realized it will take many more years to build the program back up, demanded more time before he's run out of town.

+1

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 04:40:18 PM »
Or maybe IU will be getting hammered for Sampson's violations in the near future and extended Crean's contract to ensure he'd have enough time to right the ship.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 04:50:38 PM by Wareagle »

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 05:15:58 PM »
Tubby had a lot of time too, eventually that demanding Kentucky atmosphere is going to want multiple National Championships and I don't think TC can deliver and he'll be sent packing...Just My Opinion.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 07:00:24 PM »
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080728/SPORTS0601/80728062

To quote from this story .....

As soon as the long-form contract is done and finalized, it will be released,” Crean said Monday. “To date, I’m comfortable with the progress and look forward to its completion.”

The extension matches the length of the deal Crean had at Marquette before leaving for IU.

Crean initially agreed to an eight-year deal worth $18.24 million, the largest for an IU coach
. He signed a Memorandum of Understanding on April 1 that outlined the terms, but never signed an official contract.

---

So, he never signed a long-form contract.  That means he had more favoarable terms to leave, since the detail was never spelled out.  I wonder if he made noise about leaving which is why IU threw more money at him to stay.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 07:03:18 PM by AnotherMU84 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 07:07:03 PM »
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080728/SPORTS0601/80728062

To quote from this story .....

As soon as the long-form contract is done and finalized, it will be released,” Crean said Monday. “To date, I’m comfortable with the progress and look forward to its completion.”

The extension matches the length of the deal Crean had at Marquette before leaving for IU.

Crean initially agreed to an eight-year deal worth $18.24 million, the largest for an IU coach
. He signed a Memorandum of Understanding on April 1 that outlined the terms, but never signed an official contract.

---

So, he never signed a long-form contract.  That means he had more favoarable terms to leave, since the detail was never spelled out.  I wonder if he made noise about leaving which is why IU threw more money at him to stay.

Very often these guys don't sign contracts with their jobs for months and months.  Happens quite frequently, but with all the departures and the additional violations, Crean certainly had the leverage to say he didn't know it was THIS BAD kind of thing.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 07:11:04 PM »
Very often these guys don't sign contracts with their jobs for months and months.  Happens quite frequently, but with all the departures and the additional violations, Crean certainly had the leverage to say he didn't know it was THIS BAD kind of thing.

Exactly my point.  Not surprising that he did not sign.  As you note, it happens in all contracts of this complexity which is why they sign a MoU.  But given that IU's program has turned significantly worse since April 1, this does give him an out if he wants it.  Crean's buyout applies to a CONTRACT, not a MoU.  He can take another job and their would be no buyout.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 02:02:14 AM »
And it's nice to see Crean is actually thinking about using his martial arts training:

"But nothing's changed and I still feel great about being here. There are a lot of days when you want to ram your head against a wall -- or ram somebody else's head against the wall -- but it's never been a situation where I wasn't excited to come to work every day."
SS Marquette