[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Josh Childress to go play in Greece  (Read 4748 times)

Mayor McCheese

• All American
Josh Childress to go play in Greece
« on: July 27, 2008, 12:13:44 AM »
I didn't see something like this posted, and I think it is a topic we can talk about on the real forum, since its the offseason and Brandon Jennings made this board.  What do you think about Josh Childress going over to play in Europe instead of resigning with the Hawks?  I think this is much bigger news then ESPN gave it, and the rest of the sports country.  A player, who was guaranteed a spot on an NBA team picked a European club over the NBA team.

Which got me to thinking, would Steve Novak ever make a move like this, he doesn't get much playing time in the states, and his style of play would be cherished in Europe, just a thought.

Also, what does this say about the NBA having players leave to go play an "inferior" league.  This is like an MLB player going to Japan, or NFL player going to Canada(and not forced to like Vick will be in a few years). 
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

mviale

• All American
Re: Josh Childress to go play in Greece
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 12:47:49 AM »
Novak and Diener should play in Europe
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 02:27:18 AM »
They should play here.

It legitimizes the program. ;)
SS Marquette

mviale

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 09:27:50 AM »
Playing is the key action verb here.  Sitting on the bench is another thing.   Wade legitimizes our program and I believe more sweet 16's are more powerful than individuals.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 11:35:06 AM »
josh was signed by my favorite team- olympiakos  ;D

i was very surprised and as you would imagine very excited about the signing. it is the most lucrative deal for a single player in european history. the guy can play and is exciting to watch- they are gonna fall in love with him in greece

the greek league is one of the more competitive leagues in europe- yearly they produce 2 of the best teams in europe in olympiakos and panathinaikos. panathinaikos has been dominant lately and won both league and european championships. olympiakos needed to do something and they did. this is a statement move by the team- snatching up a legit NBA talent like that

this isnt the first time a big NBA name has made the move however. Dominique Wilkins made a big splash when Panathinaikos signed him years ago. However, he was older and on the tail end of his career. Josh is young and still in his prime- and maybe as exciting as nique was

another thing to remember is the condition of the euro right now. players can make alot of money in europe. its still a pretty shocking move, but greece has its advantages. he will dominate, but not as much as one would think. he wont average 30 ppg, but he will be the difference maker.

heres to the man having a successful year and bringing olympiakos over the top

oh and the hawks need to get their crap together

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 12:16:26 PM »
Playing is the key action verb here.  Sitting on the bench is another thing.   Wade legitimizes our program and I believe more sweet 16's are more powerful than individuals.

Yeah Diener didn't get off the bench at all, he only played 20 minutes a game and had 21 starts.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 02:55:18 PM »
You may not follow the NBA - but Diener was very fortunate last season.  He is 3rd or 4th in the rotation for PG at Indy.  Indy went out and filled the PG position with TJ Ford, Jarret Jack and they also have Tinsley
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 03:11:25 PM by mviale »

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 06:19:04 PM »
this was mentioned in the superbar, i guess no one was ready for comment right when it happened

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=9633.0

regardless, the guy just wants to get his time and money, and thats exactly what he'll be getting in europe

jce

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 06:21:21 PM »
josh was signed by my favorite team- olympiakos  ;D

i was very surprised and as you would imagine very excited about the signing. it is the most lucrative deal for a single player in european history. the guy can play and is exciting to watch- they are gonna fall in love with him in greece

the greek league is one of the more competitive leagues in europe- yearly they produce 2 of the best teams in europe in olympiakos and panathinaikos. panathinaikos has been dominant lately and won both league and european championships. olympiakos needed to do something and they did. this is a statement move by the team- snatching up a legit NBA talent like that

this isnt the first time a big NBA name has made the move however. Dominique Wilkins made a big splash when Panathinaikos signed him years ago. However, he was older and on the tail end of his career. Josh is young and still in his prime- and maybe as exciting as nique was

Josh Childress is a nice, solid player.  Hardly a superstar.  He is pretty much option #3 or #4 on an NBA team.  I mean I am glad you are excited, but its not like they signed someone away that can't be replaced.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 12:37:50 AM »
i never said he was a superstar. i believe he was the 6th man in atlanta, so not even 3rd or 4th option. however, anyone that knows him or follows the NBA knows hes an energy guy that gives alot to his team. Id take his 12p 5r anyday, especially because most of his buckets come from outworking everyone else on the court. His fg percentage is also over 55% i believe.

Bottom line for the hawks is that its a big loss and foolish of them to not have locked him up. i believe there was an article on espn.com about how losing a guy like him just shows the state of their organization.

Bottom line for olympiakos is that he can be a star. He will be the most athletic and exciting guy on the court and everyone will fall in love with him. After all it was only a few years ago that he was an All American and a top 10 pick in the draft so the kids got talent- the type of talent you dont typically see leaving for europe at such a young age

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 01:40:01 AM »
Aware of that.  And that before that he was very lucky to get 11 min a game for two seasons prior.  What would be the bennifit of going to europe anyway?