Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Saturday: Meet the Author  (Read 2309 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Saturday: Meet the Author
« on: July 25, 2008, 08:30:03 AM »
Saturday: Meet the Author

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (mu_hilltopper)

Tomorrow, Saturday July 26th, you'll have a chance to meet John Pudner and see a few pages of his new book, Ultimate Hoops Guide: Marquette University. 

You know Pudner from his guest columns on Cracked Sidewalks .. Top 100 MU Players of All Time, and Top 20 Recruiting Classes.

We here at Cracked Sidewalks take full credit for inspiring John (Jour '88) to write this book, and are waiting patiently for our royalty checks to start rolling in. (cough)

You can meet Pudner at the Ambassador Hotel, from 8am-12:30pm on Saturday.  Signs will direct you.  Feel free to tell him how wrong he was on so many of his Top 100 of All Time.

Oh, and click here to pre-order the book.  Please.  The guy's got NINE kids, for crying out loud.  He needs your cash.

Here's his promo material, and a couple pages from the book:

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2008/07/saturday-meet-author.html

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Saturday: Meet the Author
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 10:14:09 AM »
Pudner, you have nine kids?

what the hell!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 02:40:26 PM »
And still had time to write? Whole lotta shakin' goin' on.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
How can we purchase a book AND get it signed (by both Sr. and Jr.) if we live on either coast or just plain outta state?
SS Marquette

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
Getting a signed copy of the book - or a copy signed by players
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 03:51:14 PM »
I have gotten a good number of emails requesting a signed copy of the book.  If you do want a signed copy and do not live near Milwaukee, please email me at jpudner@concentricgrasstops.com and tell me so, then order the book at www.collegeprowler.com/basketball.  I am building a list, and plan to go to the publisher when the books are printed in a couple of weeks and sign books before they are shipped for anyone who has requested one via email.  Also if you email me, I will include you on my email update list to let you know as soon as the book is published.

Of much more value than my signature of course would be to get some players' signatures on the book.  I did talk to Bo Ellis twice while in Milwaukee and he invited me to meet with a couple of dozen of the players - though unfortunately I had to fly back to Atlanta before they arrived.  However, the tentative plan I proposed to him was that we grab the first few books that are printed, and I get them to him to have a bunch of the players sign (since every player has his stats in the back of the book), and then we auction those few books off for the Nicole Ellis Foundation.  Obviously those books would be donated, not sold, to Mr. Ellis.  I should note however that to date I do not know any of the players - unless Tom Copa happens to remember I was on his dorm in McCormick in 1984.  As much as I'd like to know the players, I really preferred being able to tell people I do not know any of them while compiling the book because the book really is based on the numbers, so I didn't want any reader to think that I highlighted someone too much because of a personal friendship, etc.  I only ended up talking to Mr. Ellis because someone involved with the foundation saw my article on top recruiting classes and called to get me to give him a call next week.

John Pudner
jpudner@concentricgrasstops.com
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 07:42:16 PM »
John,

That sounds like a plan! I will be contacting you.

Let us know when and if that group signing and auction does happen!

:)
SS Marquette

feedback