[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football Loyalties  (Read 7512 times)

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
College Football Loyalties
« on: July 18, 2008, 01:16:04 PM »
I am a huge College football fan and it finally seems to be around the corner and while I Loved Marquette my biggest regret was not going to a school where they have a DIV-1 football program. I am just curious where Marquette Alum's College football allegiances lie? And is it okay to root for Wisconsin football if you went to Marquette?
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

chapman

• All American
Re: College Football Loyalties
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 01:46:03 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 02:03:54 PM »
Anywhere but Wisconsin.  But I'm a big Oklahoma fan.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 02:33:30 PM »

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 03:26:28 PM »
I forgot to mention I am a big Hokie fan.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 03:59:07 PM »

Followed by any Pac Ten school playing a Big Ten school

Followed by Kansas

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
I cheer against the axis of evil- Wisconsin, Notre Dame, and Michigan.

I can tolerate Ohio State.

College football is much different for me- Even though I don't really have a team, I'm able to sit down on a Saturday and watch it all day. With the NFL outside of the Packers I don't really have an interest.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 05:35:08 PM »
1)  Iowa Hawkeyes- going 19 years in a row without losing to wisconsin in the 80's and 90's was a great run.  We own Bucky and no it is NEVER ok to root for Bucky.

2)  Notre Dame-  I know, I know... but being raised Irish Catholic I didn't have a choice and the '93 ND vs USC game was still the greatest sporting event I've ever seen live. 

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 06:49:21 PM »

Went to Arizona before transfering to Marquette.

But I like to throw handfuls...

MUAlum99

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 07:53:31 PM »

GO NOLES!
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because warriors are what we really are."  - Wesley Matthews

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 11:02:41 PM »

Went to Arizona before transfering to Marquette.

Like Ron Curry. ;)

SS Marquette

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 09:37:59 AM »
Don't throw things.... ND in a BIG WAY!  Same deal as with another poster.  I grew up in a Catholic family.  My brother went to Notre Dame so I went to a ton of games between ages 13-17.  didn't get in and SINCE MU doesn't have a team, I have followed them and grown to love them since.   

PS- ND is going to be good this year all you mo fo'ing haters. HA!
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 11:59:06 AM »
PS- ND is going to be good this year all you mo fo'ing haters. HA!
3-9.  Yikes, ouch.  The worst of any Independent football schools (tied with Army, behind Navy and Western Kentucky haha).  That's like when they were saying that ND vs. Ohio State was going to be an awesome Fiesta Bowl.  Ask Brady Quinn and AJ Hawk about how that one turned out...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

augoman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 10:43:45 PM »
the Northwestern Wildcats are about the same enrollment as Marquette, the only private school in the big ten, and frequently upset the baajrs- (not to mention I have children-alumni), soooo, season tickets make great sense to me, and occasionally have pleasure of NU fb game in am, w/ MU bb game at night.  The drive isn't bad, and the experience is great!

streetlife

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 10:45:01 AM »
First or all, I've been a Warrior fan since listening to the MU/St, Bonny's game when Bob Lanier was the starting center at St. Bonny's.  Also I have been a fan even through the "dog days" of Bob Dukiet and his piano playing, and used to play ball against Rick Majurus at Neeskara Playground and wait for him to call touch falls.  My family bleeds Warrior blood.

But I have also been a huge Bucky football fan since the Ron Vanderkallen/Pat Richter days in Rose Bowl history.

I'm from the state of Wisconsin, and I believe both MU b-ball and UW f-ball are from this state!!  My son, at Madison, sported a MU poster during  entire b-ball seasons and continues to fight the Bucky "bandwagon" hoops fans with only recent history on their sides.

nuff said,
Streetlife

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 11:29:19 AM »
I spent much of my youth in College Station -- college football doesn't get any better than a big game at Kyle Field.

Texas A&M.

Gig'em
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 11:41:11 AM by NYWarrior »

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 03:54:40 PM »
Go Bucks.  My dad went to Ohio State and has had me cheering for the bucks for as long as I can remember

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 03:58:29 PM »
I know one person not cheering for Ohio st.  Did anyone else hear the comments carson palmer made?

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 04:08:04 PM »
ND. I've been a HUGE ND football fan since I was about 6, and they have always remained my team. My girlfriend is an ND undergrad alum and grad student (with an MU masters degree in the middle, I've made her a huge Warriors fan), so that's only made me an even bigger ND football fan, as I now go to just about every home game.

I know it's fairly unconventional for an MU alum to be an ND football fan, but like I said, I've been that way since I was very young, so it's not something I apologize for.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 06:59:43 PM »
ND here, too.

My dad went to ND, and I grew up a fan -- it was a condition of receiving free room an board as a child.  Since Marquette didn't have a football team, I didn't change allegiances during my college years.  During football season my dad and I are allies and enjoy the season (well, maybe not last season).  During basketball season, we're mortal enemies.

Incidentally, I've followed my dad's footsteps and my 11 year old son knows that if he doesn't root for Marquette he's out of the house.  But I've let him pick his own football program to follow.  Unfortunately, he likes the Gators and the Hurricanes -- but I love him anyway.  It's hard sometimes, but I do.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 10:06:54 PM »
I know one person not cheering for Ohio st.  Did anyone else hear the comments carson palmer made?

Hilarious.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 11:19:52 PM »
MU BB

UW Football

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 05:47:48 AM »
I received my Grad Degree from Oklahoma State so I try to follow them as best I can despite being in an SEC television market. (It doesn't help that Okstate isn't very good)

Since MU has moved to the Big East I pull for the Big East teams during Bowl season.

I'm originally from WI and would follow UW football but honestly after hanging around on some of these boards and listening to some of the stupid things that Badger fans say I've done a complete 180 with UW football.  I am completely against the badgers, and the big 11 for that matter.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 10:05:26 AM »
Army, if you really want to know why so many of us root for whomever is playing UW football, go to a game in Madison sometime and sit in the visitors' section.  The treatment you get will turn you off to the baajrs forever.  It embarrasses me to be from Wisconsin.  I have been in the visiting teams' seats at MSU games, UNLV games, Michigan games, and so on..., the only thing close is OSU, but that is minor league compared to Madison.     

Warrior1996

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
Team America.  I used be a Bucky fan but their fans' disturbing behavior in regards to basketball has made ambivalent.  Like  many others here, I'm a ND fan.  My dad is an ND alumnus and I still go to ND games to this day.

feedback