Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: O'tule just checked in to Humphrey  (Read 34004 times)

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: O'tule just checked in to Humphrey
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2008, 10:27:46 AM »
if he didn't you'd have to find someone with one year of eligibility otherwise then you'd have an excess the following year. it doesn't make much sense for him to not take the scholarship since he'll still be practicing with the team, learning the offense and how each of his teammates play so when he is eligible to play next year, he already has a year of understanding with the majority of the team. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2008, 10:44:02 AM »
So even if he cannot play, he still takes up a scholarship?

Yes. Any transfer or red-shirt is still on scholarship - and thus it counts against the bball teams allocation (13 scholarships).

nola03

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2008, 10:50:49 AM »
That is what the article says, but it is directly in conflict with an article from the Iowa State Rivals site on 6/11/08 which said: "Ottumwa (Iowa) guard Dwight Buycks has numerous scholarship offers on his plate from high majors all over the country. The problem is he's not exactly sure who those schools are. But he does know that Iowa State is one."

You can choose to believe whichever one fits your agenda.

Thanks for confirming. Didn't know if I remembered correctly. Actually, I don't think there is a conflict: the ISU Scout article is 31 May whereas the ISU Rivals article is 11 June. I'm guessing he picked up his numerous offers during those 12 days.

I also like how you threw the word agenda in there. Scaremongering at its funniest. I mean, aren't you choosing to believe whichever one fits your agenda as well? Really is silly stuff   :D

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2008, 10:57:58 AM »

Thanks for confirming. Didn't know if I remembered correctly. Actually, I don't think there is a conflict: the ISU Scout article is 31 May whereas the ISU Rivals article is 11 June. I'm guessing he picked up his numerous offers during those 12 days.

I also like how you threw the word agenda in there. Scaremongering at its funniest. I mean, aren't you choosing to believe whichever one fits your agenda as well? Really is silly stuff   :D

Two different sources confirmed he had plenty of offers, namely Kentucky.

Keep hating though, it's cool.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2008, 10:58:28 AM »

Who says I believe either one of them, I was just reporting what they said.   And I've got no agenda, I've not been a Buzz basher or a Buzz fanboy, while you clearly have changed your attitude towards the program, the coaches and the recruits since April 1st both here and on Scout.  

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2008, 11:19:27 AM »
BMA,
Forget the rest of that trash...What have you heard about Liam McMorrow?  This guy seems to come out of nowhere and I haven't heard a whole lot about him.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2008, 11:47:09 AM »
BMA,
Forget the rest of that trash...What have you heard about Liam McMorrow?  This guy seems to come out of nowhere and I haven't heard a whole lot about him.

Not much.  He's a virtual unknown at this point as really nobody covers Canadian college basketball.  He hasn't been playing the game that long, so the only stuff out there is what you can find on Google.  But he's going redshirt and have until the 2009-10 season to get better, and Layer is supposedly a good big man coach(see Jason Smith), so who knows.  If anything, he is a legit 7'0 and appears to be well built so he should help at least defensively, but it's always tough for those late starters to get up to speed offensively.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2008, 12:53:01 PM »
I suggest everyone ignore any posts by Nola 03, he can come on and post how he does not have a bone to pick but his posts are clear enough.  His Murph like inssitance of Buycks having no scholarhip offers is pathetic.  Hold on to that article with everything you got beacuse obviously it means more than anything Mark miller might have to add, what would a guy who makes his living covering Wisocnsin basketball know.  When he says he is beter than lacy it is good enough for me.  Also, to see an article that states a guy does not have any offers before the recruiting period really gets underway is not a big deal at all, in fact it is a red herring.  maymon had offers from baylor and UWGB before he blew up over the last 6 weeks and then all the big boys were on him.  Maybe Nola's next rant should be that as of May maymon only had offers fromm baylor and UWgb and insist that the Newspapers and coaches of wisconsin that voted him player of the year and the recruitng services are fools too.  the guy is abitter fool...life is too short to even read his posts. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2008, 01:01:03 PM »
It takes coordination to ice skate in a hockey game. People this size are rare. Most of them have no athletic ability. I like the signing. I think having two bigmen projects to push each other will make them both better. Plus I believe Cadougan will also come. Assuming that happens in July, the only downside I see is what are we going to do until November with no potential recruits to speculate over.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2008, 01:12:08 PM »
what are we going to do until November with no potential recruits to speculate over.

check out the hs juniors that are potential MU recruits  ;)

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2008, 01:19:30 PM »
Doesn't seem like the best get now that he has to sit out a season.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2008, 01:41:48 PM »

I know what you mean, but think about it this way:

Will he be better than any of the potential frosh. bigs we could bring in next year?

In 2009:
He's 7 ft
He's 20 years old
He's had a year to learn MU's system for bigs
He has 3 years of eligibility

A 2009 frosh:
He's x ft (probably not 7ft)
He's 18 years old
He hasn't even practiced with MU
He has 4 years of eligibility

I'm not saying the kid is the next Patrick Ewing... but it the goal is to start finding some serviceable/solid big men... adding a transfer/redshirt can be a good idea considering bigs usually hit their stride as upper classmen.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2008, 01:59:59 PM »

Disagree 100%.  I like the signing more now that he has to sit out a season.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2008, 02:12:31 PM »
In 2009:
He's 7 ft
He's 20 years old
He's had a year to learn MU's system for bigs
He has 3 years of eligibility

McMorrow is already 20, maybe even 21, he graduated high school in 2005. 

Not sure what he was doing between then and his first year of college.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2008, 02:38:19 PM »
McMorrow is already 20, maybe even 21, he graduated high school in 2005. 

Not sure what he was doing between then and his first year of college.

Even better.

Thanks for clarifying.

Not sure he will ever be all conference... but like I said, he could be solid.

I think if you could get at least Marcus Jackson level talent at center most years... that would be pretty solid. Not too many dominating big men out there... so a solid player will be fine.

Between this kid and Otule... you gotta figure they will be at least serviceable.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2008, 02:39:46 PM »
He is 20. And having a year to learn the system and work with the team in practice will be huge. He may not be the next Patrick Ewing but who knows, we may have the next Roy Hibbert on our hands. Only difference is that McMorrow is probably stronger than Hibbert was coming in but then again, as long as he's serviceable with Otule I'll be happy.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2008, 02:53:30 PM »
UW signed two bigmen this year. Bergeman(sp) and the guy from Texas. Their is some questions regarding their athleticness. It will be interesting to see how Otule's and McMorrows size and athleticism actually compares to UW's two recruits. I think Bo is very good at making bigmen play strong fundamental basketball. So this will be a good Buzz vs Bo competition to see who develops their centers better.

nola03

« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2008, 03:11:56 PM »
Who says I believe either one of them, I was just reporting what they said.   And I've got no agenda, I've not been a Buzz basher or a Buzz fanboy, while you clearly have changed your attitude towards the program, the coaches and the recruits since April 1st both here and on Scout.  

I agree with you that my attitude has changed. I'm no longer a blind apologist who covers everything in sprinkles. A lot of people stood back for a couple weeks and took the cautious road after the dust settled only to return to being MU apologists that only see the positive. Forgive me for not being at that point yet.

Having questions about picking up a commit from a 7-foot hockey player who's only played 20 games of basketball in his life doesn't strike me as anything out of the norm for a message board. In fact, some pretty heavy hitters in the Scout forum have expressed their doubts about the news yet I don't see quite the indictment of their fanhood. Perhaps different standards.

And, Bulldog, re-read my last post on Buycks. I mentioned the plethora of offers he received. Or, you could just keep posting those bi-weekly updates on Tom Crean and the Indiana program

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2008, 03:15:51 PM »

7-foot hockey player who's only played 20 games of basketball in his life

Seriously?

Woah.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2008, 03:17:57 PM »
UW signed two bigmen this year. Bergeman(sp) and the guy from Texas. Their is some questions regarding their athleticness. It will be interesting to see how Otule's and McMorrows size and athleticism actually compares to UW's two recruits. I think Bo is very good at making bigmen play strong fundamental basketball. So this will be a good Buzz vs Bo competition to see who develops their centers better.

Well, if Bo develops them as well as he developed Stiemsma, Chappell and Mader, Marquette could be in for some big trouble.  ;)

chapman

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2008, 03:29:50 PM »
UW signed two bigmen this year. Bergeman(sp) and the guy from Texas. Their is some questions regarding their athleticness.

UW big men lacking athleticism?  Really?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2008, 03:42:35 PM »
I agree with you that my attitude has changed. I'm no longer a blind apologist who covers everything in sprinkles. A lot of people stood back for a couple weeks and took the cautious road after the dust settled only to return to being MU apologists that only see the positive. Forgive me for not being at that point yet.

Having questions about picking up a commit from a 7-foot hockey player who's only played 20 games of basketball in his life doesn't strike me as anything out of the norm for a message board. In fact, some pretty heavy hitters in the Scout forum have expressed their doubts about the news yet I don't see quite the indictment of their fanhood. Perhaps different standards.

I prefer the world of realism myself.

And, Bulldog, re-read my last post on Buycks. I mentioned the plethora of offers he received. Or, you could just keep posting those bi-weekly updates on Tom Crean and the Indiana program

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2008, 05:01:36 PM »
Naturally he is going to become better after learning the system, but I was just thinking Buzz could have gotten a higher ranked or known big man for the 09 season.  I'll eat my words if this Liam McMorrow actually does something, but I just have a bad feeling about it.  I wish Buzz would have spent more time looking for other big men. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2008, 06:24:48 PM »
I try to look for positives in life. I realize everything in my life will not go the way I want it to, but I rather look at everything in a positive light. McMorrow may turn out to be a bust, but right now I see his tremendous size as giving us a chance to be a final four team in the future. Without a servicable bigman we have no chance at a final four. Now we have two big centers. Hopefully one will develop enough so he can at least be a defensive obstacle to the other teams big center. It always amazed me how in Crean's tenure the opposing team's center was usually better than ours and I am not just talking conference games. Teams like North Dakota St would come in and totally out play us on the front line.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2008, 09:21:09 PM »
Definitely... if one develops that would be fantastic.